2013 NFL Mock Draft: NFL Combine Edition

17. Pittsburgh Steelers
Jonathan Cooper, OL, North Carolina (SCOUTING REPORT)
Behind Warmack, Cooper is the best interior lineman in the 2013 NFL Draft. Adding him next to DeCastro and Pouncey would make the Steelers run game sing and Ben Roethlisberger upright.

18. Dallas Cowboys
DJ Fluker, OT, Alabama (SCOUTING REPORT)
The Cowboys offensive line needs upgraded from left guard on over. Adding the massive Fluker to the right side of the line will immediately solve one problem for Tony Romo and company.

19. New York Giants
Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah (SCOUTING REPORT)
Star’s health problems could drop him further, but until we know more, he is worth the risk here.

20. Chicago Bears
Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State (SCOUTING REPORT)
Arthur Brown is a football player. A bit of a ‘tweener, I’m not sure whether he will fit in better at MLB or WLB in the NFL. If the Bears don’t draft a LB, look for an offensive tackle to be a possibility.

21. Cincinnati Bengals
Keenan Allen, WR, California* (SCOUTING REPORT)
Andy Dalton is a good quarterback, but he isn’t going to win games on his own. Adding another weapon like Keenan Allen to the likes of AJ Green and company will make the Bengals a team to truly fear.

22. St. Louis Rams (via WAS)
Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon (SCOUTING REPORT)
Like Ziggy Ansah and Damontre Moore, Dion Jordan is a guy who will get a lot of different evaluations – from top five to second round. As a SLB, I like what he brings to the table – I’m just not sold on his health and ability to hold his weight over 245 pounds.

23. Minnesota Vikings
Kawann Short, DT, Purdue (SCOUTING REPORT)
When Kevin Williams finally hangs them up, Kawann Short can step in and be the guy that keeps blockers honest against Jared Allen. His motor improved as a senior and he makes splash plays with regularity.

24. Indianapolis Colts
Datone Jones, DE, UCLA (SCOUTING REPORT)
Jones can play the 3 and 5 tech positions, while also being able to shift outside to end when needed. He is an extremely smart football player who should be able to contribute as a rookie.

25. Seattle Seahawks
Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State (SCOUTING REPORT)
Carradine was a top 20 player before his injury this fall. If teams are comfortable with his recovery, he could end up being drafted even higher.

26. Green Bay Packers
Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia (SCOUTING REPORT)
Ogletree is an athlete and a half. With safety speed in a linebacker’s body, Ogletree can rush the passer, cover and play the run. If he can improve taking on blockers, he could be a top five middle linebacker in the NFL.

27. Houston Texans
Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia (SCOUTING REPORT)
Austin is a dynamic weapon. From a stacked alignment, he is absolutely uncoverable. With Austin wreaking havoc underneath, Andre Johnson will be even more effective.

28. Denver Broncos
Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington (SCOUTING REPORT)
Broncos fans don’t need to be told about this one. Trufant is a physical corner that can turn and run down the sideline… and can track the football.

29. New England Patriots
DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson (SCOUTING REPORT)
Strong hands, decisive routes, subtle separation skills. An accurate quarterback like Tom Brady should be able to take advantage of Hopkins’ skills and turn him into a star. Hopkins has the lateral agility to get off the press and enough size and leaping ability to be effective in the red zone. Defensive tackle is an option here as well, but the addition of Armond Armstead should diminish that need.

30. Atlanta Falcons
Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama (SCOUTING REPORT)
Jacquizz Rodgers and Eddie Lacy would be the backfield in Atlanta for the next six to seven years. Thunder and lightning anyone?

31. San Francisco 49ers
Johnathan Hankins, DL, Ohio State* (SCOUTING NOTES)
Hankins disappointed a bit over the last season, but he has all the physical tools to be a dominant force on the 49ers defensive line.

32. Baltimore Ravens
Kevin Minter, LB, LSU (SCOUTING NOTES)
No Ray Lewis? No problem… at least on the field as opposed to the locker room. Minter lives to tackle people.

CONTINUE TO ROUND TWO

Continue to Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Tags: 2013 NFL Mock Draft, DeAndre Hopkins, Geno Smith, Mock Draft, NFL Combine

47 Responses to “2013 NFL Mock Draft: NFL Combine Edition”

1. Mike J says:

Why would Tampa take a guard?? They get 2 back off IR, plus the 2 guys who replaced them adequately are still with the club. A WR is more likely than an OG.

2. joeisme says:

The Packers will NOT take Ogletree! He is another soon to be pro who will be out of football in two years. They have Mathews at one OLB and Perry coming back to play the other side. The Packers need INSIDE LBs – 3/4 DE – SS – LT.

3. Matt says:

Lets make on thing clear. Jarvis jones will not be available in the second round. Then lets deal with the fact that the Lions will not take Warner in the first round, he is dropping on a lot of people boards. He lacks quickness and strength. He is a developing prospect the Lions can not afford to draft. The Lions can not miss on their first nor in their first three picks. Moore, Ansah, Fisher, Warmack, L. Johnson will be their first round pick. the second will be best safety Elam, P. Thomas, etc. Their third round will be either best interior OL or best OLB. Their is a possibility that they can trade up into the second round or into the third round and take the WR from West Virginia.

4. chieftiger says:

The Chiefs draft SUCKS! You would see a mass exit of ticket holders!

5. Kevin Rogers says:

I like your thought process, evaluations, and willingness to buck much of the conventional thinking and widely reported mocks at this stage in the process. I was completely thrown for a loop with the Robert Woods selection though, I must admit. In all fairness, I’m very down on him and it appears you’re very high, but that was the most striking selection of the first round. Count me in the camp of one of the Dion Jordan lovers though. I’m happy with your Ansah selection for my Browns and this is becoming a popular slot, although I’m a Jordan fan here I much prefer Ansah to Mingo. I don’t like or understand your JJ Wilcox selection to the Browns in the 3rd round. He’s unquestionably outside the top 100 (I would put a 200 # on him but that’s just me) and outside the top 10 at the position. Pretty shocking that you think Browns would take him at 68, although Safety is clearly a need. I’d prefer CB here and hope that Alford slips past Philadelphia at #67 otherwise I would take Darius Slay or Will Davis there. Keep up the good work!

6. LARaiders says:

No way the Raiders Take Geno Smith @ # 3 …We will be taking the Best value @ #3 which is not Geno Sorry

• acm says:

I am sure you will … it’s what the raiders do best, after all – year after year, they pick the best value available.

7. joeisme says:

Horrible second pick for the Packers! A little guy (5’9 1/2″) who doesn’t seperate deep. They already have 4 guys (Cobb-Nelson-Jones-Boykin) who are better than Bailey. When your team needs so many other positions they won’t waste a valuable pick on this guy.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I agree, bad 2nd pick for the Packers, when OG/C Barrett Jones is two picks later!!!!!!!!!

8. chieftiger says:

Being from missouri I like richardson BUT we need a QB most of all. and I sure don’t want Oakland to get smith!

I see today that all the top QB’s will be throwing at the combine next week. That should be very intresting. A couple of them must improve their stock after the Sr. Bowl let downs. If they don’t it might drop them to the low 2nd or 3rd rd. A few days ago alot of speculation was what Mallett would be worth in a trade. Seems to me his value could rise or fall in inverse rato to how these youngsters do.
      And speaking of QB’s , see Vick was resigned to a 1 year deal? I suspect for trade potential.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I am VERY sure KC stays with Cassel at QB, and,upgrades its back-up , with future starter. BUT not with the 1st pick. I think KC would like to trade out of it but who with?? Raiders, who do not have a 2nd, or Cleveland who does not have a 2nd, ….for 3d,and 1st 2014, 2nd 2015??

Staying with Cassel would be a real surprise to me. Alex Smith will be coming on the trade block I would expect KC to explore that possability first. I believe they have the necessary means to make a deal but will they? Then there is Mallett here in NE whom some are crediting with value enough to at least ask for KC’s 2nd rd pick. Again would KC be interested? Another vet qb, a later rd pick? Who knows but staying with Cassel invites a fan revolt it seems to me.

9. AM says:

Love the first two picks in this mock. Hopkins and Poyer would be outstanding additions. Presuming that we are leaving safety alone, I would double down on receiver in the third round with Aaron Dobson, whom I believe is still available in this mock. Round it out with Cameron Lawrence and DeQuinta Jones in the seventh.

10. Stephen S says:

Hey lets have some more fun Doug Kyed formerly of NEPD did a mock of 10 likely Pats yesterday here is the link http://nesn.com/playlist/tavon-austin-alec-ogletree-among-top-10-potential-patriots-first-round-picks-in-2013-nfl-draft/1/
    Since the Pats only have 5 picks out of those 10 which 5 would you choose I have mine down to 7 have to let 2 more go yet
    Datone Jones

1st WR DeAndre Hopkins
      2nd OG Jonathan Cooper
      3d Arthur Brown
      7th Brennan Williams
      7th Jamar Taylor

• AM says:

His article says that these are all potential first round picks for the Patriots. I certainly hope that’s a typo, and he just meant “picks.” Ugh. The only three I would have on my wish list are Jones and Hopkins. Cooper is a great player, but a luxury pick given the team’s needs (meaning he should probably get measured for a uniform now).

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Yes you are right if OG Cooper is on the board, BB drafts talent. Mel Kiper is saying S- Elam to the Patriots at #29, but Kipers track record on Patriots draft picks has been poor.
        I still feel BB trades back , with Dallas, Tampa, Bears, etc. for thier 2nd and 4th.

Boy are you right on Kiper. As a matter of fact he is seldom right for any team. Can’t understand why he still has a job on TV. Must be name reconition.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I know. I bet we could do better than Kiper,… and the last two years I have!! (New England)

Listening to him on draft day can be described as funny to painful. Pre/ mock drafts are tough but during the draft he so often gives his best remaing players for a team only to have none of them picked. I know I do better then that at least during the top half of the draft.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Hay Steve did you play the Mock drat pick last year?? I did OK 518th in the county, on the 1st round only, out of I quess over 1 mil. players. It’s very hard to know enough about EACH team, as I spend all my time watching the Patriots.

No Russel I didn’t involve myself in that for exactly the reason you note. Trying to keep track of the Pats is job enough for me, doing it for 32 teams is a profession not an activity. This time of year I enjoy this “activity” but I have a number of other intrests that I am not willing to drop. Congrats on being 518 nationally, that’s darn good.
          Back in 1968 at a party I claimed I could draft better the the Pats. My friends challanged me to prove it. I’ve been hooked ever since.

Russell a question for you if you will. We both like Vellano, strong, quick, non-stop motor, but at 6-2 285 do you think he fits Bill’s mold for an inside DT or can he play DE in 4-3? Just thinking if Bill wants to go traditional he might go with Gathers or Brandon Williams from Misu so. Would Joe have enough quickness in the pros to consistently get penetration from the inside?

Datone Jones, Brennan Williams and Jonathan Cooper wouls sit well with me, the others I’m only luke warm about. Austin is just to small for my liking, I have nothing against Taylor, Brown or Cyprien other then I feel there are better prospects out there that would fit better this year.

11. JH TARBORO says:

The NFL combine almost allways,blows up a mock draft.Coaches and scouts tend to fall in love with a player they shouldn’t. Happens every year!

12. Russell Easterbrooks says:

This is a very good Mock, I like WR Hopkins, but not sure he will be on the Board. CB Jordan Poyer is, I feel the best CB, to fit in the New England system, and if BB has him targeted he will go 1st to the Patriots.
    I also feel the Patriots take an Olineman early, if Vollmer leaves, an OT type. OG/T Brian Winters as a 2nd pick, or because of an injury, OT Chris Faulk has dropped some, making him a great value with a 3d pick.

So I see our draft as we now choose;

1st #29 CB Jordan Poyer
    2nd #59 OG/T Brian Winters
    3d # 91 DE Cornellius Carradine
    7th TE Mychal Rivera
    7th SS Cooper Taylor

• Jim R says:

Like the Poyer pick. I think it a lot of defense again.
      Short or Rhodes # 29
      Poyer # 59
      Devin Taylor DE South Carolina # 91
      7th Take flyers on Wr’s and safety’s

• Stephen S says:

You think Carradine is going to be around at 91

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Because of his injury, and come back , I think he is a 1st round talent dropping into the 3d.

Yes I agree but not sure he will go all the way to 91. With his up-side I’d like to see him taken at 59 unless Bill is able to add a pick in 1st half of the 3rd.I realize he may be on pup or even ir this year but like I said, “up-side”.

• JH TARBORO says:

I like you 7th pick of Mychal Rivera TE Tenn. its good to adress another pass catching TE. Also like: Ryan Otten San Jose State and late rounder Jake Stoneburner Ohio State.

• Jim R says:

7th round Take a flyer on Ray Ray Armstrong, He will be this years Vontaze Burfict

With a 7th why not? Realize he’s a high risk/high reward kind of guy. Been described as selfish, undisiplined and lots of off field issues. Still if any coach and organization in the NFL can get through to him it’s the Patriots. What a strong saftey he would make If, just If.

Gee Russel, speaking of falling in love with a player yours is Brian Winters. That’s okay, I know mine is Rhodes, but I really think 59 is to high for Winters. Of course if Bill gets additional picks some way or other Winters could find still himself with us.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Yes I like Winters, but I also like OG Cooper, OT Faulk, OG/T Summers-Gavin. Winters is “in yor face” , alot like Mankins !!!
        BB is funny that when he targets a guy, he will take him any where in the draft ! Wilson last year a 5th , but BB uses a 2nd. Ebner “undrafted most likely” and BB uses a 5th. BB has a plan, does the work looking at guys and grabs what he wants, Not always right, but more than not, he’s right.

Your assuming Winter is on his must have list. I don’t think anyone knows that except Bill. Some of the others coachs may detect leanings but my guess is nothing is carved in stone in the war room. I love in your face kind of guys, especally on the O-line and would be great if we do draft him but Bill has always graded his drafts by value picks. Ebner and Wilson were exceptions to his normal pratice as far as I can tell. Maybe I’m wrong and have just missed it?

• andrew says:

more often than not he’s right?!? Lawrence Maroney, Brandon Meriweather, Chad Jackson, Ron Brace, Darius Butler, Jermaine Cunningham, Terrence Wheatley. This is just the list of first and second rounders from 2006 and later. The “In bill we trust” ship sailed a long long time ago

Poyer best fit for our system? At this point I’m not really sure what our system is. Early on it was sit back, play of, then when Talib and Dennard were starting there was a lot more “in yo face”, challanging receivers. If it’s the latter I think Rhodes the better fit.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

BB’s system is CHANGE, and you need very smart players to understand, when, where and who’s doing what on any given D play.
        Poyer fits the profile best, other guys are more “in yor face” but are they in the right coverage?

Oh, I see what your refuring to now. I have no infomation at this time on any of these players football IQ’s. What I can go by are how thay play the game, any off field or injury historys, that kind of thing. If you know of a site where they rate the IQ, phych eval kind of stuff, I’d love to check it out.