2013 NFL Mock Draft: NFL Combine Edition

DeAndre Hopkins Clemson

DeAndre Hopkins could be exactly what the Patriots are looking for. (USA Today Sports Images)

NEPD Editor: James Christensen

2013 NFL Mock Draft: Updated February 25th

The 2013 NFL Scouting Combine is right around the corner, here is my prediction of how the 2013 NFL Draft will play out before the prospects put on their track uniforms.

1. Kansas City Chiefs
Sharrif Floyd, DL, Florida (SCOUTING REPORT)
If I’m the Kansas City Chiefs, I’m drafting Geno Smith. That said, it seems like Andy Reid and the Chiefs are looking somewhere else. There are multiple offensive tackles that could hit the free agent market, so I don’t think Luke Joeckel is the certain pick here. With Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson and maybe more defensive linemen departing Kansas City, Floyd could come in and be the man on day one.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars
Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU (SCOUTING REPORT)
Whenever a team gets around to unleashing Barkevious Mingo and just lets him rush the passer, he is going to put up some ludicrous numbers. I think Jacksonville would fall in love with explosiveness from the edge.

3. Oakland Raiders
Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia (SCOUTING REPORT)
The Raiders have also reportedly stated that they aren’t looking for a quarterback in the first round, but I’m not sure I believe them. Palmer and Pryor? No thank you. I’ll take my #1 overall prospect.

4. Philadelphia Eagles
Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M* (SCOUTING REPORT)
If the Eagles are going to continue to employ Michael Vick, he needs better protection. Regardless of whether Jason Peters comes back at 100%, Joeckel will help solidify the line for Chip Kelly’s offense.

5. Detroit Lions
Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State* (SCOUTING REPORT)
With a lot of good options on the board, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Lions trade back, perhaps with the Jets, and pick up a pass-rusher a bit later. Werner can replace KVB’s production year one.

6. Cleveland Browns
Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU (SCOUTING REPORT)
One of the more divisive prospects in this draft, Ansah is very long on athleticism and promise, but short on experience. Thrown in to the new Browns defensive system, he could play all over the place.

7. Arizona Cardinals
Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan (SCOUTING REPORT)
Fisher dropping to the Cardinals would be a dream for an offense that desperately needs an upgrade on the offensive line. If they are in love with a quarterback, they could also go in that direction here.

8. Buffalo Bills
Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse (SCOUTING REPORT)
Doug Marrone and Ryan Nassib reunited. I don’t always get the first round love for Nassib – a solid 2nd rounder in my opinion – but it seems that NFL scouts see a lot that they like.

9. New York Jets
Sheldon Richardson, DL, Missouri* (SCOUTING REPORT)
I can see the Jets moving up a bit – if the price is right – and adding Richardson next to the already dominant Mo Wilkerson. When his head is on straight, he has first pick potential.

10. Tennessee Titans
Chance Warmack, OL, Alabama* (SCOUTING REPORT)
Adding perhaps the safest pick in the entire draft is key here for the Titans. Warmack will solidify the interior line for both the run and the pass. Kenny Vaccaro might also be tempting here.

11. San Diego Chargers
Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma (SCOUTING REPORT)
Johnson is an athletic freak – watch him run the 40 faster than some safeties this year – that will excel at the left tackle position where the Chargers couldn’t compete last year.

12. Miami Dolphins
Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee (SCOUTING REPORT)
The Dolphins haven’t shied away from being bold with their wide receiver picks – Ted Ginn anyone? Patterson has the most upside in this draft class, but he doesn’t come without any warts. Keenan Allen is the better player right now for me, but I’d much rather pick him in the latter half of the first round.

13. Tampa Bay Bucs
Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama* (SCOUTING REPORT)
The Saban-taught Milliner brings exactly what the Bucs need on their defense. Leonard Johnson played well last year, but he doesn’t have the speed to cover down the field like Milliner does.

14. Carolina Panthers
Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State (SCOUTING REPORT)
Banks is a physical corner with plenty of size and length to cover the receivers in today’s NFL. He made a smart decision coming back for his senior season and will reap the rewards in the 2013 NFL Draft.

15. New Orleans Saints
Damontre Moore, DE/OLB, Texas A&M* (SCOUTING REPORT)
There seems to be a love/hate relationship with Moore in the scouting community. Some see a top-five pick, others see a second round grade. I see a guy that can get after the passer and help the Saints on day one.

16. St. Louis Rams
Kenny Vaccaro, CB/S, Texas (SCOUTING REPORT)
Adding a do-it-all safety like Vaccaro is going to make any NFL team better. Adding him to the likes of Janoris Jenkins and Cortland Finnegan makes the Rams a very interesting team going forward.

CONTINUE TO PICKS 17-32

Continue to Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Tags: 2013 NFL Mock Draft, DeAndre Hopkins, Geno Smith, Mock Draft, NFL Combine

47 Responses to “2013 NFL Mock Draft: NFL Combine Edition”

1. Mike J says:

Why would Tampa take a guard?? They get 2 back off IR, plus the 2 guys who replaced them adequately are still with the club. A WR is more likely than an OG.

2. joeisme says:

The Packers will NOT take Ogletree! He is another soon to be pro who will be out of football in two years. They have Mathews at one OLB and Perry coming back to play the other side. The Packers need INSIDE LBs – 3/4 DE – SS – LT.

3. Matt says:

Lets make on thing clear. Jarvis jones will not be available in the second round. Then lets deal with the fact that the Lions will not take Warner in the first round, he is dropping on a lot of people boards. He lacks quickness and strength. He is a developing prospect the Lions can not afford to draft. The Lions can not miss on their first nor in their first three picks. Moore, Ansah, Fisher, Warmack, L. Johnson will be their first round pick. the second will be best safety Elam, P. Thomas, etc. Their third round will be either best interior OL or best OLB. Their is a possibility that they can trade up into the second round or into the third round and take the WR from West Virginia.

4. chieftiger says:

The Chiefs draft SUCKS! You would see a mass exit of ticket holders!

5. Kevin Rogers says:

I like your thought process, evaluations, and willingness to buck much of the conventional thinking and widely reported mocks at this stage in the process. I was completely thrown for a loop with the Robert Woods selection though, I must admit. In all fairness, I’m very down on him and it appears you’re very high, but that was the most striking selection of the first round. Count me in the camp of one of the Dion Jordan lovers though. I’m happy with your Ansah selection for my Browns and this is becoming a popular slot, although I’m a Jordan fan here I much prefer Ansah to Mingo. I don’t like or understand your JJ Wilcox selection to the Browns in the 3rd round. He’s unquestionably outside the top 100 (I would put a 200 # on him but that’s just me) and outside the top 10 at the position. Pretty shocking that you think Browns would take him at 68, although Safety is clearly a need. I’d prefer CB here and hope that Alford slips past Philadelphia at #67 otherwise I would take Darius Slay or Will Davis there. Keep up the good work!

6. LARaiders says:

No way the Raiders Take Geno Smith @ # 3 …We will be taking the Best value @ #3 which is not Geno Sorry

• acm says:

I am sure you will … it’s what the raiders do best, after all – year after year, they pick the best value available.

7. joeisme says:

Horrible second pick for the Packers! A little guy (5’9 1/2″) who doesn’t seperate deep. They already have 4 guys (Cobb-Nelson-Jones-Boykin) who are better than Bailey. When your team needs so many other positions they won’t waste a valuable pick on this guy.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I agree, bad 2nd pick for the Packers, when OG/C Barrett Jones is two picks later!!!!!!!!!

8. chieftiger says:

Being from missouri I like richardson BUT we need a QB most of all. and I sure don’t want Oakland to get smith!

I see today that all the top QB’s will be throwing at the combine next week. That should be very intresting. A couple of them must improve their stock after the Sr. Bowl let downs. If they don’t it might drop them to the low 2nd or 3rd rd. A few days ago alot of speculation was what Mallett would be worth in a trade. Seems to me his value could rise or fall in inverse rato to how these youngsters do.
      And speaking of QB’s , see Vick was resigned to a 1 year deal? I suspect for trade potential.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I am VERY sure KC stays with Cassel at QB, and,upgrades its back-up , with future starter. BUT not with the 1st pick. I think KC would like to trade out of it but who with?? Raiders, who do not have a 2nd, or Cleveland who does not have a 2nd, ….for 3d,and 1st 2014, 2nd 2015??

• Staying with Cassel would be a real surprise to me. Alex Smith will be coming on the trade block I would expect KC to explore that possability first. I believe they have the necessary means to make a deal but will they? Then there is Mallett here in NE whom some are crediting with value enough to at least ask for KC’s 2nd rd pick. Again would KC be interested? Another vet qb, a later rd pick? Who knows but staying with Cassel invites a fan revolt it seems to me.

9. AM says:

Love the first two picks in this mock. Hopkins and Poyer would be outstanding additions. Presuming that we are leaving safety alone, I would double down on receiver in the third round with Aaron Dobson, whom I believe is still available in this mock. Round it out with Cameron Lawrence and DeQuinta Jones in the seventh.

10. Stephen S says:

Hey lets have some more fun Doug Kyed formerly of NEPD did a mock of 10 likely Pats yesterday here is the link http://nesn.com/playlist/tavon-austin-alec-ogletree-among-top-10-potential-patriots-first-round-picks-in-2013-nfl-draft/1/
    Since the Pats only have 5 picks out of those 10 which 5 would you choose I have mine down to 7 have to let 2 more go yet
    Datone Jones

1st WR DeAndre Hopkins
      2nd OG Jonathan Cooper
      3d Arthur Brown
      7th Brennan Williams
      7th Jamar Taylor

• AM says:

His article says that these are all potential first round picks for the Patriots. I certainly hope that’s a typo, and he just meant “picks.” Ugh. The only three I would have on my wish list are Jones and Hopkins. Cooper is a great player, but a luxury pick given the team’s needs (meaning he should probably get measured for a uniform now).

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Yes you are right if OG Cooper is on the board, BB drafts talent. Mel Kiper is saying S- Elam to the Patriots at #29, but Kipers track record on Patriots draft picks has been poor.
        I still feel BB trades back , with Dallas, Tampa, Bears, etc. for thier 2nd and 4th.

Boy are you right on Kiper. As a matter of fact he is seldom right for any team. Can’t understand why he still has a job on TV. Must be name reconition.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I know. I bet we could do better than Kiper,… and the last two years I have!! (New England)

Listening to him on draft day can be described as funny to painful. Pre/ mock drafts are tough but during the draft he so often gives his best remaing players for a team only to have none of them picked. I know I do better then that at least during the top half of the draft.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Hay Steve did you play the Mock drat pick last year?? I did OK 518th in the county, on the 1st round only, out of I quess over 1 mil. players. It’s very hard to know enough about EACH team, as I spend all my time watching the Patriots.

• No Russel I didn’t involve myself in that for exactly the reason you note. Trying to keep track of the Pats is job enough for me, doing it for 32 teams is a profession not an activity. This time of year I enjoy this “activity” but I have a number of other intrests that I am not willing to drop. Congrats on being 518 nationally, that’s darn good.
          Back in 1968 at a party I claimed I could draft better the the Pats. My friends challanged me to prove it. I’ve been hooked ever since.

• Russell a question for you if you will. We both like Vellano, strong, quick, non-stop motor, but at 6-2 285 do you think he fits Bill’s mold for an inside DT or can he play DE in 4-3? Just thinking if Bill wants to go traditional he might go with Gathers or Brandon Williams from Misu so. Would Joe have enough quickness in the pros to consistently get penetration from the inside?

• Datone Jones, Brennan Williams and Jonathan Cooper wouls sit well with me, the others I’m only luke warm about. Austin is just to small for my liking, I have nothing against Taylor, Brown or Cyprien other then I feel there are better prospects out there that would fit better this year.

11. JH TARBORO says:

The NFL combine almost allways,blows up a mock draft.Coaches and scouts tend to fall in love with a player they shouldn’t. Happens every year!

12. Russell Easterbrooks says:

This is a very good Mock, I like WR Hopkins, but not sure he will be on the Board. CB Jordan Poyer is, I feel the best CB, to fit in the New England system, and if BB has him targeted he will go 1st to the Patriots.
    I also feel the Patriots take an Olineman early, if Vollmer leaves, an OT type. OG/T Brian Winters as a 2nd pick, or because of an injury, OT Chris Faulk has dropped some, making him a great value with a 3d pick.

So I see our draft as we now choose;

1st #29 CB Jordan Poyer
    2nd #59 OG/T Brian Winters
    3d # 91 DE Cornellius Carradine
    7th TE Mychal Rivera
    7th SS Cooper Taylor

• Jim R says:

Like the Poyer pick. I think it a lot of defense again.
      Short or Rhodes # 29
      Poyer # 59
      Devin Taylor DE South Carolina # 91
      7th Take flyers on Wr’s and safety’s

• Stephen S says:

You think Carradine is going to be around at 91

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Because of his injury, and come back , I think he is a 1st round talent dropping into the 3d.

Yes I agree but not sure he will go all the way to 91. With his up-side I’d like to see him taken at 59 unless Bill is able to add a pick in 1st half of the 3rd.I realize he may be on pup or even ir this year but like I said, “up-side”.

• JH TARBORO says:

I like you 7th pick of Mychal Rivera TE Tenn. its good to adress another pass catching TE. Also like: Ryan Otten San Jose State and late rounder Jake Stoneburner Ohio State.

• Jim R says:

7th round Take a flyer on Ray Ray Armstrong, He will be this years Vontaze Burfict

With a 7th why not? Realize he’s a high risk/high reward kind of guy. Been described as selfish, undisiplined and lots of off field issues. Still if any coach and organization in the NFL can get through to him it’s the Patriots. What a strong saftey he would make If, just If.

Gee Russel, speaking of falling in love with a player yours is Brian Winters. That’s okay, I know mine is Rhodes, but I really think 59 is to high for Winters. Of course if Bill gets additional picks some way or other Winters could find still himself with us.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Yes I like Winters, but I also like OG Cooper, OT Faulk, OG/T Summers-Gavin. Winters is “in yor face” , alot like Mankins !!!
        BB is funny that when he targets a guy, he will take him any where in the draft ! Wilson last year a 5th , but BB uses a 2nd. Ebner “undrafted most likely” and BB uses a 5th. BB has a plan, does the work looking at guys and grabs what he wants, Not always right, but more than not, he’s right.

Your assuming Winter is on his must have list. I don’t think anyone knows that except Bill. Some of the others coachs may detect leanings but my guess is nothing is carved in stone in the war room. I love in your face kind of guys, especally on the O-line and would be great if we do draft him but Bill has always graded his drafts by value picks. Ebner and Wilson were exceptions to his normal pratice as far as I can tell. Maybe I’m wrong and have just missed it?

• andrew says:

more often than not he’s right?!? Lawrence Maroney, Brandon Meriweather, Chad Jackson, Ron Brace, Darius Butler, Jermaine Cunningham, Terrence Wheatley. This is just the list of first and second rounders from 2006 and later. The “In bill we trust” ship sailed a long long time ago

Poyer best fit for our system? At this point I’m not really sure what our system is. Early on it was sit back, play of, then when Talib and Dennard were starting there was a lot more “in yo face”, challanging receivers. If it’s the latter I think Rhodes the better fit.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

BB’s system is CHANGE, and you need very smart players to understand, when, where and who’s doing what on any given D play.
        Poyer fits the profile best, other guys are more “in yor face” but are they in the right coverage?

Oh, I see what your refuring to now. I have no infomation at this time on any of these players football IQ’s. What I can go by are how thay play the game, any off field or injury historys, that kind of thing. If you know of a site where they rate the IQ, phych eval kind of stuff, I’d love to check it out.