2013 NFL Draft: Pre-Combine Mock Draft

49. New York Giants: Margus Hunt, DE, SMU

With Osi Umenyiora unlikely to return as an unrestricted free agent, and Justin Tuck entering the final year of his contract, the time is now for the Giants to reinforce their defensive line and pass-rush.

Specifically with Tuck’s future in question, the Giants should be looking for a pass-rushing defensive end who can also kick inside as an interior rusher. SMU’s Margus Hunt has huge potential as an outside-inside rusher, with a rare combination of size, length and athleticism, and has upside well worth taking a chance on in the middle of Round 2.

50. Chicago Bears: Dallas Thomas, G/OT, Tennessee

The Chicago Bears desperately need to reinforce their offensive line, so drafting the best available lineman would be a smart plan in Round 2. Tennessee’s Dallas Thomas would be a great choice, a powerful but athletic lineman who has played a variety of offensive line spots for the Volunteers.

Thomas has experience as an offensive tackle, and may be able to step in as an immediate and much-needed upgrade at right tackle. He projects better as a guard, but the Bears could certainly use an upgrade at either guard spot also.

51. Washington Redskins: Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor

The Washington Redskins offense improved in a big way last season with the addition of rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III, but as RG3 not only continues to develop but also fights back from a torn ACL, the Redskins should try to give him more weapons in the passing game.

Baylor wide receiver Terrance Williams is outstanding value outside of the top 50 picks. Reuniting him with Griffin should only make their young quarterback more comfortable in the offense, while Williams would give the Redskins a true vertical, downfield threat as an outside receiver.

52. Minnesota Vikings: Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina

The Minnesota Vikings interior run defense has not been the same since Pat Williams’ departure following the 2010 season. The Vikings need to upgrade at the position next to Kevin Williams, and could create “Williams Wall 2.0” by selecting Sylvester Williams with their second-round pick.

The North Carolina defensive tackle has explosive quickness and is one of the most disruptive defensive tackles in this year’s draft class. He has the size and strength to play the nose tackle position next to Williams, but can also bring pressure as an interior pass-rusher himself.

53. Cincinnati Bengals: Keenan Allen, WR, California

The Cincinnati Bengals drafted two talented wideouts last year, but that should not stop them from adding another receiver if the value is right. The Bengals still need to establish a true No. 2 receiver opposite A.J. Green, and the value of California wideout Keenan Allen would be tough to pass up.

Given that Allen does not have game-breaking speed or playmaking ability, Allen could slide in a deep wide receiver class, but would be great value late in Round 2. He is a big, athletic receiver with great hands and route-running ability, and would be a very good fit as a possession receiver to complement the deep vertical threat in Green.

54. Miami Dolphins: Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU

The Miami Dolphins could use an upgrade over Jared Odrick opposite Cameron Wake at defensive end, especially as a pass-rusher. LSU’s Sam Montgomery is a well-rounded, athletic defensive end who can be both a edge rusher and a very solid run stopper, and would be great value late in Round 2.

55. Seattle Seahawks: Bennie Logan, DT/DE, LSU

The Seahawks should be in the market for a quicker under tackle/5-technique who can line up next to Brandon Mebane on their interior defensive line and bring more pressure. LSU’s Bennie Logan would fit the bill.

Logan is an athletic defensive tackle who can shoot the gap and bring pressure inside. He is somewhat raw and needs to become a stronger run stopper, but he has big potential and could make an immediate contribution as a rotational player.

56. Green Bay Packers: Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin

DuJuan Harris emerged in the Green Bay Packers backfield late last season, but the Packers should still be in the market for a feature back in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Wisconsin’s Montee Ball is a good all-around running back with in-state ties. Coming off a brilliant collegiate career, Ball is a durable, productive and dynamic between-the-tackles runner who could add consistency and reliability to the Packers backfield.

57. Houston Texans: Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee

The Houston Texans need to find a better No. 2 receiving option to start across from Andre Johnson. Tennessee’s Justin Hunter is great value late in Round 2, and could draw coverages away from Johnson while giving the Texans another dangerous downfield playmaker.

With a great combination of size, athleticism and catching ability, Hunter has as much upside as any wide receiver in the draft class. He has some issues with drops and inconsistency, but could end up being a steal as a fantastic deep threat and red-zone target.

58. Denver Broncos: Tony Jefferson, FS, Oklahoma

Rahim Moore has gone down as the scapegoat for the Denver Broncos’ postseason loss for his horrendous attempt at playing the Baltimore Ravens’ deep, game-tying touchdown pass in the final minute of regulation in that game. While Moore made progress in his sophomore season, upgrades at safety and in the secondary in general could be in order in the 2013 NFL draft.

Oklahoma’s Tony Jefferson is an athletic safety who is a playmaker in coverage and an instinctive hitter. He would be a potential upgrade at free safety, or at least a third safety who can play in packages with five or six DBs.

59. New England Patriots: Datone Jones, DE/DT, UCLA

The Patriots’ greatest need in the 2013 NFL Draft may be for an interior pass-rusher. UCLA’s Datone Jones would be a great choice late in Round 2 to help rectify that problem.

Jones is a big yet very quick and explosive defensive lineman who has experience playing both defensive end and defensive tackle. For the Patriots, Jones could contribute to the defensive end rotation as a run defender, but kick inside on pass-rushing downs to bring the pressure inside that the Patriots could not bring in 2012.

Oregon State cornerback Jordan Poyer would also be a fantastic choice to address a need late in Round 2, but Jones would be tough for the Patriots to pass up.

60. Atlanta Falcons: Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford

Tony Gonzalez is expected to retire, leaving the Falcons in need of a replacement at tight end. Being able to get Stanford’s Zach Ertz as that replacement near the end of Round 2 would be a dream scenario.

Ertz is a very well-rounded tight end prospect. He is a big tight end with good athleticism and can really go up and get the ball as a receiver, but he is also a good run blocker. He is great value as a late second-round pick.

61. San Francisco 49ers: Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State

Drafting one defensive back in the first round shouldn’t stop the 49ers from adding more on Day 2, as the 49ers really need an overhaul at the cornerback position.

Oregon State’s Jordan Poyer is one of the best players available on the board in this scenario. Poyer will not blow people away with measurables at the Combine, but he is an instinctive, physical cornerback with good ball skills, who can bring stability to the 49ers’ secondary.

62. Baltimore Ravens: Justin Pugh, OT, Syracuse (Jr.)

The Baltimore Ravens found much-needed offensive line stability in their run to the Super Bowl, but even if unrestricted free agent Bryant McKinnie is brought back at left tackle, he is only a short-term fix.

Syracuse’s Justin Pugh may not be a left tackle either, but he is a talented offensive lineman who is good value at the end of Round 2. Pugh is a good pass blocker who uses his hands well, and has potential to play both tackle and guard.

CONTINUE TO ROUND THREE

Continue to Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Tags: 2013 NFL Mock Draft, Mock Drafts, Quinton Patton, Star Lotulelei

82 Responses to “2013 NFL Draft: Pre-Combine Mock Draft”

1. Bill Bourgeois says:

Ezekiel Ansah would be better pick, has more value.

2. steve earle says:

I read here that many think our DE position is “deep” enough and yes I guess it is. Still I’d like to see BB get yet one more guy that is an all around de. Someone that can defend the run as well as rush. Cunningham, Scott and Francis tend to be rushers, and thats okay but an all around de would give us a lot more flexability.

3. steve earle says:

News is Dennard convicted of assault on police officer. That could mean 6 years.
    This changes things alot! The tag is almost certainly going to be put on Talib now. It also means another cb must be drafted high or money spent for a proven cb. Only other route would be by trade and that’s far less likely. How this may effect any trade down can be argued both ways.
    My new draft would be:
    1#29 Xavour Rhodes cb
    2#59 David Amerson cb
    3#91 Kwame Gathers dt
    7#x Ray Ray Armstrong s
    7#y Kenny Tate ss/olb

• AM says:

I would be seriously surprised if Dennard spent any more than 30 days in prison. First offense, no priors, he might do a brief stint, pay a fine, and then get probation or a suspended sentence for the rest. Either way, though, some CB depth is important.

I don’t know about that. It was a police officer he cold cocked after all. 30 days seems dame little. Maybe I just showing my age. It would be good for him and the Patriots but would it send the right social message?
        Yes we do need another cb, two if Talib goes. We’re lucky the draft is deep in that area but our lack of picks, espically high picks puts us at a disadvantage. The 2 sevenths are of questionable value. If Talib gets more then a slap on the wrist we’re in trouble.

Opps above should say damn littlt not dame little, sorry.

• AM says:

I think it would be one thing if the cop were grievously injured, or if a firearm were involved, or if there were a history of violence in play, or if it had been a premeditated attack. To me, though, it seems like this was essentially a bar fight that got a little out of hand at the end. I think that violent conduct deserves punishment, certainly, but I think it is important that the punishment be proportional to the crime. In this case, the crime was relatively minor, and I doubt that a sentence of, say, two years in prison is going to benefit society, the victim, or reform the offender more than less prison time coupled with a fine and community service. Just my two cents.

And we now return to our regularly scheduled football topic. :) Even if Dennard gets no suspension from the NFL, and misses no games from his sentence, the team needs some talent at CB. Personally, I think Talib is gone but Arrington stays, which is fine if Arrington is relegated to the slot. That leaves a gaping hole on one side of the field; I’d like to see Desmond Trufant there, or Jordan Poyer if Trufant is unavailable.

Trufant is one of my two favorite cb’s. As you probably know Rhodes is the other. I would be very happy with either but if it was Poyer I wouldn’t fall into depression either. I like the depth this year at cb and am confident BB will address the position. Just who and when?
          lol, I tried to correct my spelling of (damn) then misspelled (little). Geeze I just can’t win.

4. Jack says:

Your draft is pretty bad. To many QBs there is no way that the Jets are drafting a QB they have to much money tied up there already. Think about you picks before you make them brother. Also there is on way Alec Ogaltree is falling to the Ravens, you must be a Ravens fan if you actually think that is going to happen. Your picks are bad, I can only imagine you arent a winner

• Richard says:

Jack you’re totally right this dude’s picks suck. I am sure that he must suck because his picks are so bad. You really think that 2 Qbs are going in round 1 and that Matt Barkley is going #1 in the 2nd round. hows the weather like in Imagination Land today butt face

5. Russell Easterbrooks says:

I like that this Mock does 3 rounds, very helpful !

6. Bmp1113 says:

I actually really like the patton pick. He just seems like a guy that bill would draft. Hes not flashy or overly talked about but he has good enough size and does every thing great. He is a senior and had constant prodution even against the better teams. Just watching him looks like he is a fit in the pats offence. I could actually see the pats taking more than one wr. There is no depth at all and theyre lucky lloyd didnt miss time last season. I think the pats are

• Bmp1113 says:

Deep at dline unless bill want to get a 3-4 de for a switch back or a successor to vince. Theres plenty of great picks at safety in the 2nd-3rd round range. I like cyprien but his stocks rising fast. I also like zeke motta as a strong tackling ss who showed of his under rated coverage ability at the shrine game. There are also some great d players in fa that will change could everything

7. Joe Blake says:

Surely you jest: Patton #1 when Patterson is available. D Jones at #2 (59): I’m doing a JPP handspring! Simone at #3:no way, regardless of the Myers/Vrable/BB love fest…rather a CB or SS: such as a Lester, Slay or McDonald. Wish would be to draft Arthur Brown in a Mallett trade. An OL for Dante to mold with the 7th (as long as he is 6’4″ & 310 we should be good). Ray Ray or the heat seeking missile from Syracuse with the second 7th rounder for more CB SS help. In short, a WR to stretch the field, D line help for Vince, a CB & SS, a cover LB and developmental help on the O line.Life would be good.

8. steve earle says:

Not crazy about this draft. I still believe Bill must continue to rebuild def. No way will I welcome a wr with the 29. Best in my mind is still Xavior Rhodes cb. This guy can play cornor or safty, both positions of serious need. Daton Jones in the second? Come on, has he broken a leg or something? All the past few weeks he’s been being mocked in the top half of the first everywhere. If we’re talking 5 picks this is the way it should go unless results at the combine change things.
    1# 29 xavior rhodes cb
    2# 59 markus wheaton wr
    3# 91 kwain gathers dt
    7 Ray Ray Armstrong s
    7 Kenny Tate olb/ss
    No disrespect to other’s but this would make the most sense to fill positions of critical need with players who likely would contribute early and often.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I like Wheaton and 2nd is about right for him. I like Vellano over Gathers who I think needed another year of football. Tate is a guy very much like Cooper Taylor each had med. issues, game is very much the same.
      Not sure about RayRay, I would look for a pure CB.
      Rhodes has many plus’s, I’m just not sold on him, sorry.

We all have our favorits and it’s okay if your not sold on Rhodes. Ray Ray is high risk high reward kid. Great prospect from the neck down. Wouldn’d base my draft on him but for a 7th, what the heck? Gathers came out to soon, family tradition, but he has a very high up side I’m thinking so if the other two do not slide to 91 he would be a great value.

• Jim R says:

Love Ray Ray and Tate. I would like to see them go all D.

There is a need for a young wr and no doubt a fair to good one could be gotten at 91 but will they play because there better or by default? I like Wheaton who has been reported to run a 4.4/40. that’s an estimated speed, unofficial but he is fast whatever he finally times at the combine. Also he has good hands, showed the ability to get seperation and get off the line in press coverage. With just 5 picks we can’t cover all needs so something must be left to free agency or trades which are to tuff to guess at here. 5 picks could go all def but thats hard to see.

9. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Well I think we are deep at DE , so I like D.Jones but need to let him pass, IF I’m working with just 5 picks to help the teams future. Trading for extra choices is a must.
    But with this Mock;

#29 – CB Jordan Poyer
    #59- WR Markus Wheaton, (the next Troy Brown)
    #91- OT Brennan Williams, (say bye to Vollomer ‘s injurys, and cost)
    7th- SS Cooper Taylor
    7th- Cb Kieth McGill

• Billy C. says:

I like where your head is at with your picks and i also agree that Volmer should go (to much medical issues).

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I agree, if I’m Vollmer with my injury history, I want to stay with New England, at say 4 years, 5.5 mil. So I think they sign him, and back him up with and contiune to improve Zusevics. IF they do take this road, then draft pick #91 could be DT Joe Vellano, who I think looks like Wilfork on Tape !! Great agaisnt the run, pass pressure, OK ,but no sacks.

Your thinking is sound as usual as regards Vollmer. 5.5 would seem fair or even a little more if something could be worked into his contract to cover injury in future.
          I really like Joe Vellano, as do you, but I’m a little concerned because I’ve seen him listed at 6-2 285, playing weight.This time next week we should have this cleared up but can you give some update before then.

Up-date Joe Vellano;
          In my opinion, this guy is very much like Vince Wilfork. Better than Jesse Williams, not quite as heavey at 290-300. The guy led the country in tackles by a DT ! He had 20 in one game! I have watch 3 full game tapes on him its always the same! High motor, team captain, moves well, sees the ball well, rarely gets knocked off his feet, and tackles well!! Holds his ground with double teams, strong, high IQ, wieght room guy, follows the ball all over the field, and never rest’s on a play!
          This a guy BB will like, but where do you draft him? Most Mocks say 5th-6th, HA if BB wants him 2nd is good!!

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

For some game tape on Vellano, go to joe vellano youtube.

I have seen those tapes you mention Russell and agree he looks great. I do hope he is around the 300# mark. I’ll be looking for him at the combine. Not sure Bill targets one player per choice or has a short list for each. I suspect the latter but that’s okay. Looking at the class I see three guys I’d love to see us have a choice of at DT. Vellano, Gathers and Brandon Williams from Misu so. Low 2nd or 3rd would be the range I’d expect for them to fall.

Point of fact, Vollmer had a very strong season, injury free, last year. Doesn’t mean Bill should break the bank with a multi year deal. Russell makes great sense thinking a 5.5 x 4 years would be fair. Maybe even a little more.
        Hard to see why so many fans have the “grass is always greener” attitude toward proven players like Vollmer, Welker and Talib. I say if you already have someone on board that’s better, fine! But let’em walk expecting some rookie of free agent will be an upgrade is really short sighted.

10. JOEISME says:

Hamilton is not a good pick for GB. With four WRs already on the roster he wouldn’t even suit up. Horrible pick when they need help in so many other areas and many good players available to actually help them.

11. Mike J says:

Hankins would be a very attractive pick for Tampa here, esp. if the Bucs keep Michael Bennett to play DT on passing downs. They could then target a corner, maybe moving up to the low first again.
    Kenny Vacarro would also be in play at 13 IMO in this scenario.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

It is possible that the Patriots trade there 1st #29, to Tampa, for 2nd,#43 and 4th #109. This would allow Tampa to move-up 14 picks, to get CB Xavier Rhodes, Desmond Trufant etc.

Please Russell, don’t encourage them to trade up to take one of my 2 favorite db prospects. I’m already getting nervious as it is and the draft is still 2 months away. Have pitty.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

HAHA ..Sorry, I’m not sure Rhodes will be a Patriot , But you never know. My quess is, Jordan Poyer, or Darius Slay. I think if BB goes CB he will look at a Pure CB type, with high IQ, good size,speed, an a run stopper.
          I’m not sure if Joe Vellano will be at the Combine, hope so, but have seen the word as yet.

Well okay, your forgiven, lol. I think between the WR and the CB Bill has to go CB, greatest need. I’m not sure Rhodes will be either nor anyone else in particular but I hope so. I’m going to look around to see if Vellano was invited to the combine, it must be listed somewhere. Hard to believe they wouldn’t invite him over.

You were right Russell, Valleno is not on the list for the combine, at least the one I saw. We’ll have to depend on his pro-day results and our gut instincts. Hell I say take him @ 91.

12. Russell Easterbrooks says:

OK, its VERY unlikely DE Datone Jones falls to #59. There is one thing I know for sure, if BB likes/targets a player he will draft him any time forget the round!
    I think Patriots trade #29 and move back into the mid-second round. If that happens Patriots will pick-up a 2nd, 4th.

So here is how I see it;

Mid-2nd…. CB Jordan Poyer,6’0 190
    #59 …….. WR Markus Wheaton ,6’0 185
    #91 ……..OT Brennan Williams, 6’7″ 315
    mid-4th….LB/S DeVonte Holloman, 6’2″ 240
    7th SS Cooper Taylor ,6’4″ 220
    7th CB Keith McGill, 6’3″ 206

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

My mid-4th could be DT Joe Vellano 6’1″ 300, maybe a better need, tho depth at LB is also a needed, (if one of the three is injured) with a pass -cover type LB.
      Both my 7th round guys, could added depth, at a fair price, forget signing, any free agents CB or SS, get younger!

• patfan says:

I like your thoughts especially the 2 bigger DBs in the 7th but disagree on needing to only get younger in the secondary. I think we need a vet presence to direct and stabilize the young core we have now. I would like to see a bigger WR as well.

• STEVEN says:

I really like ur thinking here Russell, except for #91. I believe or OL is pretty solid. Would love to c them go back to back WR (Aaron Mellette/Elon). This would be a very solid draft.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I think if Vollmer leaves, OR signs we need a guy, as Vollmer is injury issues. (maybe why we don’t sign him) I like Brian Winters OG/T better to up-grade at OG, But Williams is better at OT.
        If we let Vollomer go, Williams could start, at a fraction of the cost, of signing Vollomer.

• patfan says:

what do you think of Markus Zusevics? Thought he was a mid to late round guy last year before he tore his pec at the combine.

• STEVEN says:

We r short on picks need to strike rich in area of needs. T Marcus Zusevics, talented, n under coach Dante for over a year now. I also believe a move to G for Cannon would be wise. Beast. Plus there r some healthier, younger, cheaper, just a notch below talent wise available as FA’s.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I like Zusevics, but is he your starter for the Future? Maybe have not seen him play, and he was undrafted, but I watched him on my draft board last year as a 7th rounder.
          He is similar to OT Reid Fragel this year , who is on my board as a 7th.

• JH TARBORO says:

Russell, Bill will trade the first pick! 5 picks aren’t enough!

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I agree, BB will trade back. I would like to see us with three 2nd picks, if we could trade Mallett, and trade our 1st pick. Will be interesting to see.
        My trade short list has, the Bears, who want an Olineman and LBer, Tampa who wants DT and CB, and the Cowboys who want Vaccaro, and Datone Jones.

This would be a very good draft in a trade down scenario even if Vollmer does not leave. It would fill or renforce 3 positions of need. I know Holloman is favored by you and he would be aa excellant selection if we had a full draft card. My concern is that as a LB he will be behind not only the starters but current backups and as ss his ability to stay with the better receiving te’s is questionable. I know with the limited picks something must be passed on I only wish it was not the D-line.

13. Billy C. says:

This is a terrible outcome for the Pats. I just can’t see Bill drafting a WR in the first when this draft is considered strong for WR’s in rounds 2-5. Other than a high ranking OL that magically dropped in his lap the 28th pick should really focus on the defensive side of the ball (DB in particular). This has been a problem area for years and it’s not going to get better without the problem being addressed.

14. floridated says:

To immediately fix defense I see Pats signing FA RIchard Seymour and Ed Reed for a year or 2 to be role players. Seymour instant pass rush,Reed stability in secondary and bark out orders for young secondary. Oline is a must along with WR. Iwoul not be one bit surprised with Bill B taking another top flight te. Or qb Barkely depending on his workouts at combine. COuld be a real steal in draft.

I think your thinking of the Seymour and Reed of 5 or 6 years ago. You just can’t expect them to be the same now. I’m guessing now but I think both these guys would be looking for more money then they would be worth unless they came in with a one year vet minimum tag. If then sure, fine but I still do not see immediate fix for def by them.

15. chieftiger says:

KC will not take a D-lineman with the first. QB is a major need with Geno Smith being the only pick worthy in the first round.Please do some research before you do another one for the Chiefs.

• munchkin says:

I think he did. I have not heard many prognosticators value the QBs in this draft very highly. I don’t think Andy Reid will reach for a guy at 1.01 he doesn’t believe in. Not convince himself to believe in.
      Too bad they didn’t draft Wilson in the third last year.
      They need to find someone who can keep Bowe engaged though.

• chieftiger says:

NO OG is worth the first pick in the draft, has never happened and never will.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

It is if he’s and all-pro for 8 years, remember Brian Waters? Help your QB with a better run blocker, Warmack is the better choice.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

For my money, I bet KC takes OG Chance Warmack 1st, he will be an all-pro like Brian Waters was for many years.
      Second round is soon enough to draft a QB, with this draft class.

Another thing the ctiger is not considering is that SF will be looking to trade Alex Smith. KC has the ammo to make a serious bid for Alex, a proven NFL qb, and a winner at that. You need to keep in mind that Geno is an unproven prospect. Your team does have options, unlike many, in the qb quest. Not a bad thing.

• chieftiger says:

Alex Smith just manage games, jus anther retread. I read that teams are waiting until after april when they would have to pay him over 7 million, to pick him up without giving uo draft picks.

Well managing a game is better then what you got now (1#1). I suspect he’s somewhat better then that though. You really want Geno, I understand but suggest you check him out at the combine to be sure. No disrespect to him or you intended, I just know how I get kind of stuck on one guy sometimes and end up disappointed. Best of luck to you and KC.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Well don’t hold your breath waiting for SF to cut, QB Smith Not happening, they are paying QB Capernic a cheap rate , so paying Smith is a wash. Seattle will be doing the same with QB Flynn . Most teams do it in reverse how ever.
          If KC is smart they take the best player with thier draft pick, and that is not a QB !!

Oh boy Russell Ctiger will really be upset if KC goes your route. Still you may be right Andy should be cut some slack by fans out there for a couple years. If he doesn’t take a QB that can win I expect they will be picking in the top 5 or six for the next few seasons. Somewhere along that line he may perhaps find that winner. As for SF and Smith, given the QB class of 13 he could look pretty good to some teams in need. If SF can get a good offer why not pull the trigger, it would give them extra space under the cap plus the extra picks paid for with the savings.

16. qazmlpgh says:

All due respect, I would be really disappointed if they pick Patton in the 1st, especially ahead of Allen and Patterson

• qazmlpgh says:

Also, I firmly believe that the secondary needs to be addressed in the first 3 rounds.

What’s the fascination with John Simon? Seems like every mock on the site has him going to the Pats.

• AM says:

I think Simon just reminds everyone of Mike Vrabel (ditto Rob Ninkovich). More of a 4th-5th rounder by my lights.

I think Simon is a good prospect that I see as a sub package guy. Both he and Ninkovich are Vrabel like which seems to be the attraction. I just couldn’t justify taking him given our lack of picks. The trade down our 29 for a bunch of sub package and sp teams players doesn’t feel right to me. WE must address our def first.

• JH TARBORO says:

I agree. We are addressing the slot position and Welker replacement first, my pick is still Tavon Austin for slot. Later in draft or free agency for an outside receiver.

Auston is just to small to risk a 1st rd pick on.

• JH TARBORO says:

He may go in 2nd round.

2nd rd? Maybe he will. I’d be a little more comfortable if BB took him in the 2nd but still from my memory I know most players his size have limited years in the NFL. Early on they can set the game on fire but they usually don’t last so really, if it was me, I’d hold out til the 3rd for him. Just me, and I’m betting he goes well before that but so what.

17. patfan says:

I like it but I would rather another WR or a DB in the 3rd. I get the Simon pick with the connections to BB but think we have a good bit of serviceable DEs already on the roster already. Personally I am hoping for a 2nd year jump from bequette.

18. Joel Lobb says:

I think Floyd goes higher. What about Tank Carradine?

Carradine in many mocks is being played as a 3rd pick but It’s more likely he’s worth at least a mid 2nd and then only because he’s rehabing from injury and may spend time on pup or even ir this year. That makes him a smart pick for any team that can afford to wait for him.

19. SeaBass says:

One of the best mock drafts i’ve seen so far, only a few other players i would think other teams would pick. As a patriot fan if Rhodes was still on board i think they would pick him instead of Patton.

20. John says:

Cordarrelle Patterson and Keenan Allen in the 2nd round? That seems unlikely, doesn’t it?

• Dan Hope says:

My hunch is that Keenan Allen will fall after the Combine. He’s coming off of an injury, and I don’t think he’ll test very well in comparison to the other top receivers. I’m not as high on Patterson as most. Both could easily be 1st-round picks, but that’s not how I see it at the moment.

• STEVEN says:

I understand your thoughts with Allen, no more “what ifs” medical players. Yet no way is Patterson getting past the Pats at 29. He will be a beast. Wow, Jones that late in the 2nd, ill throw a party. Keep him at 270-275 DE, or put on 10-15 n put him next to Wilfolk. Enough with Simon already. We need some “playmakers” to go with the “steady eddies” we already have. Not a knock.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I am big on Simon, But feel he is hard to justify when we only have 5 draft picks, somewhat like Datone Jones. Great player, great value, but, we are very deep at DE. If Simon looked better at LB, I would say, yes as we need depth at LB, But DeVonte Holloman offers more at LB, in pass coverage.
        I think we all feel a trade back into the 2nd round is very likely, to add picks , AND still get players that would fit our needs. If Vollmer is gone, because of contract or injury’s, I think an OT at #91 is our best play.

I think I’ll wait til after the 40′a at the combine before I climb onto the Hollorman bandwagon with you Russell. No disrespect for him, or you, I just want him to show me.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I could be we are looking at John Simon Wrong. He is VERY strong at the point of attack, at 6’11/5″ 260, great leverage, moves well, might be more of a DT, like what Cunningham did this year, only stronger. NOT heavey enough to play every down, But just a thought!