2013 Senior Bowl: Best Fits for the Patriots

9. Brian Winters, OG, Kent State (6034/310)
Winters is a different type of OL than Pugh. Winters played LT in college, but there is absolutely no doubt that he is sliding inside to OG in the pros. Winters is a straight up mean SOB. He plays with a physical edge and really gets after the defender until the whistle. Winters is smaller than Pugh, but has a much more physical looking build. As a guard he plays with more leverage and is violent with his hands. Winters reminds me of a less athletic Logan Mankins.

10. Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State (5116/182)
Poyer was tremendous all week showing a variety of different coverages and excelling in all of them. Despite his 182 pound frame, he was one of the most physical press corners in Mobile. Off the line of scrimmage he showed great recovery ability and above average instincts. He always was in the right position and while he didn’t make every play he was contesting just about every throw and made it tough on opposing receivers. Poyer fits the Patriots in my opinion, for his ability to adapt so well to different coverages and his awareness in coverage.

11. Ezekial Ansah, DE, BYU (6052/272)
This is a tough one. One one hand Ansah is new to the game, lacks technique and doesn’t have much in terms of pass rush moves. However, on the other hand he has the size that the Patriots require from edge rushers and has shown upside as great as anyones in the draft. In Mobile, Ansah struggled in pass rush drills. He couldn’t counter and lacked a plan against the top OT competition. However, the game was a different story. Ansah dominated both as a pass rusher and even more so in the run game. Pairing Ansah with Chandler Jones would give the Patriots a young, long and athletic edge rush tandem for years to come.

12. Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech (6000/202)
If Wheaton wasn’t the best receiver this week then it was Quinton Patton who showed a lot of the same abilities that Wheaton did. Patton isn’t a blazer, but he gets open with good footwork, acceleration and body control. Out of all the receivers in Mobile, I thought Patton stemmed his routes the best, getting good position on the defender and presenting a large catch radius to the QB. He has sound hands and displayed the ability to adjust to poorly thrown balls. Patton can play out of the slot, which would make him a huge threat, since he would get a clean release. For the Patriots, Patton could be that 3rd receiver that they have failed to develop for the last 6-7 years. Patton along with Wheaton is a likely second round pick.

13. Cornelius Washington, DE/OLB, Georgia (6040/264)
Washington turned a lot of heads down here with his ability to convert power to speed. He has an NFL ready body and showcased a powerful jolt on initial contact. Washington is a bit of a tweener. Teams are unsure if he is a linebacker or defensive end. Either way Washington displayed enough pass rushing power to garner a day three selection. For the Patriots he has the size they like on the perimeter of the defense. Washington is big enough and strong enough to set the edge vs. the run, as well as rush the passer.

14. Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International (6002/209)
Cyprien was quite possibly the biggest winner in all of Mobile. He was the most physical player on either side and was flying around the field making plays. Cyprien seemed to absorb all the coaching and was trying to be the vocal leader of the defense. Cyprien’s great week started at the weigh in where he was one of the “weigh-in” warriors and continued to shine with the pads on. Cyprien isn’t limited to in the box safety, as he showed solid range when playing single high safety. For the Patriots Cyprien would give them the big, physical aggressive presence at Safety they haven’t had since Rodney Harrison left.

15. Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State (5106/192)
Taylor made a number of plays on the ball in Mobile and displayed good coverage ability at all levels of the passing game. He’s got quick-twitch movements and showed fluid hips in coverage. Taylor is a very good zone corner and showed an the ability to read the route and make a play on the ball. The Patriots need a cover corner in the worst way and Taylor could be a guy who is on their board.

Other Players Who Might Fit:

Kyle Juszczyk, FB/HBack, Harvard
Lavar Edwards, DE, LSU
Kyle Long, OL, Oregon
BW Webb, CB, William & Mary
Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State
David Quessenberry, OT, San Jose State
Mychal Rivera, TE, Tennessee
Michael Williams, TE, Alabama
John Simon, DE, Ohio State

Continue to Page: 1 2

Tags: 2013 NFL Draft, 2013 Senior Bowl, Datone Jones, Kawann Short, Quinton Patton

32 Responses to “2013 Senior Bowl: Best Fits for the Patriots”

1. Tom says:

Much easier to look good on defense than on offense in a college allstar game….that includes looking good in practice too. D line guys overrated and O line guys underrated in these games…. Same with safeties..safeties are guys who lack the ability to catch the ball (or they would be on offense) and lack the ability to cover and jam quick receivers (or they would be corners). Why pick a safety in the first four rounds? C’mon..safety, punter, run stuffing linebacker…you start in the fourth round before looking at these guys. Early rounds…..

QB, DE, Corner…that’s it….or else you become the Browns.

2. Jim R says:

I thought the LB from Florida State Vince Williams really did well. Looked like he was flying all over the place

3. Stephen S says:

So many good players so few picks lol

• mjp says:

Kawann Short made play after play in the Senior Bowl, besides Ansah and Jones he was the flashiest front-7 player.

• Stephen S says:

Yes just before half time Kawann Short Datone Jones and Sylvester Williams were dominating the trenches

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

For sure, alot of talented players who will play on Sundays in the NFL!!

• Jeff M says:

Look for the Pats to trade out of the 1st unless someone drops. They have needs at OG, DT, SS, WR, CB and coverage LB and the 2nd-4th rounds of this draft look to be where the sweet spot is with some talent for sure to slip into the 5th as well.

Knowing Bill he’ll either trade back from the first for a 2nd and 3rd or get a day two pick and future picks.

• AM says:

While it’s true that they do have needs at those positions, it’s not quite like the cupboard is bare. The disastrous performance in the AFC Championship game notwithstanding, the roster is still pretty well situated at most positions.

I think it’s more likely they go the quality over quantity route, which they gravitated towards last season with Jones and Hightower, and use free agency to fill in the gaps as needed. WR is a must, especially with a relatively deep class. A penetrating DT to play alongside Wilfork would be nice, but better pass rush from the DE positions (where Jones, Francis, and Bequette will continue to mature) will diminish that need a bit. A SS would be great, and a hard-hitter there can also fill the need of a coverage LB.

I say draft best available DB in the first round (or use the third-rounder to bank a late-round pick and trade up to grab Kenny Vaccaro if he somehow slips into the 20s), and take Aaron Dobson at WR in the second. Best available DL in the third if the pick is still held, and developmental gambles with the Day Three picks.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

The Best Dlineman in the 3d,4th is Evertt Dawkins 6’2″ 285+ runs a 4.86 40. Tape on him shows a quick player, able to run stunts, yet hold his ground well, tackles well, very disruptive. His stock will go up at the Combine as I see his quickness ! For my money he’s as good as the group of DT’s that are picked brfore him.

4. Russell Easterbrooks says:

It’s begining to look like the Patriots will trade thier 1st pick , to Cleveland for a 3d,4th and 3d,4th next year. Barring other moves, this would give the Pats in this years draft;
    #59, #68, #91 #101, and two 7th picks.

The added picks NEXT year are big but, this year leaves the Pats with mid-round players. The Patriots draft board does have a great group of players in this area to draft, that offer great value, but bigger name 1st rounders will be gone.

• acm says:

I wouldn’t mind a trade one bit but we really need an extra 2nd and 3rd rounder this year, imo – just too much good talent to be had in the 2nd and 3rd round this year. Who knows if that would be the case in 2014.

would love a draft that involves D. Jones, Trufant/Poyer, Patton, Cyprien. less flashy linemen like Long and Winters would also be great to get in the mid-rounds, if possible.

From the projected first round talent, the one player that really tickles my fancy is Ansah – such great upside there, sky is the limit for this guy – but it would take an earlier than 15th pick to even have a chance at him, imo. The rest I am not so high on, which is why I’d actually hope to see that 1st round pick traded.

• JV says:

Do you have a link? or is this trade something you came up with?

• Alex says:

Ugh, that’s a horrible trade.
      If we only get a third and fourth this year, then I want their first next year.
      No way we’d do that.

• AM says:

Two 3rds and two 4ths is a very low return on a first-rounder, even so low in the round. Remember that future picks, outside of first-rounders, are often rated a round lower than they are when assessing value (for teams that use point charts), so this would be the equivalent of a 3rd, two 4ths, and a 5th.

If the team trades out, I would expect either a 2nd and 3rd, or a 1st next year.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Any trade needs to look good for both teams. The trade chart gives a number thats all. Next years pick you must determind the teams possible record next year for value. Alot depends on who. Teams are very slow in wanting to give-up a 1st next year, 2d,3d, or 4ths not so much. BB likes to get 7th picks even with a low value, but he feels they are more valueable.
        Also most teams will give up a 2d and a 4th to move up say 15-22 spots into the 1st round. But dislike giveing up a 2d and a 3d to move up
        Teams willing to give up next years choices, are OK with 3d,and 4th’s but not so much for 2d,and 1st’s.
        These are just my observations over the last 30 years.

• AM says:

I agree that teams generally don’t like giving up first-rounders, regardless of which year. I also certainly agree that the trade chart just gives numbers–I personally don’t put much stock in it, but a lot of teams use it as a guide (even if they assign their own values).

But I guess what I meant is that I disagree the trade needs to look good for both teams on a “pound for pound, pick for pick” basis. Most early-round trade outs are almost entirely driven by players and not picks–that is, a team will overpay for a player whom they have rated highly, because they believe that the on-field dividends in the long-run will overcome any short-term deficit in pick value (e.g., Mark Ingram). I think that any team looking for the Patriots’s first-rounder will be looking for a specific player, and the Patriots will only trade out if they have a number of similarly situated players on their board and can be reasonably assured of getting one, or if the “buying” team is willing to overpay. I think the only way they “drop back” all the way to the third round is if there is a huge talent hole on the draft board in the early-to-mid-second round; otherwise, much more likely they will drop back a little ways into the second, even if it means only banking a late-rounder as a sweetener.

I’ve only got 15 years on the observation front, so I can’t compete there, but just a few thoughts. :)

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I agree, when a team wants a guy they will give more trade value picks than they are worth. Every team targets players, but as BB is mostly picking late in every round, his mind set is on players he can get. Last year he traded up, to get the players he wanted. He also picked S Wilson 3 rounds BEFORE he was projected, as he wanted him.
          So what I’m saying at this very early time in the draft, which teams maybe interested to move up 18-22 spots, and at what cost in picks.
          I think KC will have a hard time trading back. The Bills are the only team I see any interested, but they would want the 1st pick and keep thier 8th pick to get QB Nassib and a great player. So what to give up?? and will KC be able to get the guy they want in the second??

• Bill says:

It’s beginning to look like what to who? I think the Pats need to get more impact players and should keep their #1. I would to see them take the best player at ss, cb or DL

5. Nick says:

Does anybody know when Cyprien is expected to get drafted?

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

SS -Cyprien is currently projected 4th-5th round, I think a solid early 4th.

• acm says:

Cyprien projected 3-4th round before the senior bowl, iirc. Now, I wouldn’t be surprised one bit to see him drafted in the 2nd. I expect him to be taken in the 50-70 pick range.

• Nick says:

Thanks. I think it would be awesome if the pats could grab him. I would be happy with this draft if they manage to get him and another pass rushing DE. Cyprien and Mccourty at the safety positions would be great. Both can hit, and both can cover. They could make a very decent tandem for a long time.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I’m very impressed with Cyprien, just not sure, much of his tape is against mid-small schools. I do like him, will see.
          I’ve scouted Devonte Holloman at SS for the Patriots, at 6’2″ 230+ runs 46.4 40. This guy is one of the best play diagnosing guy ‘s I have seen. He also played some SPUR LB and is great against the run. Covers TE’s VERY well, but WR , not so good. Uses his smarts, to take good angles , were he lacks speed. Solid tackler. Would be an up grade over Steve Gregory!! BUT not a cover CB ,type safty.

• acm says:

I wholeheartedly agree on Holloman but iirc, his weight would project him more as a LB than a safety in the NFL. Big IQ, would make for a great LB imo, MLB or OLB … I hope the pats can draft him or Greene for a coverage LB or why not both it’s not like they can’t use the help ;)

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Cyprien may go in the 3d, not sure about 2d.

6. Phil says:

I want them to trade that first round pick this year. Hopefully snag Cyprien and a WR in the second. And add Sio Moore in the 3rd. Sio Moore is my favorite linebacker in this class actually. I think he shows the best coverage skills out of them all actually.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

If the Pats grab a WR look for WR Conner Vernon in the 4th-5th.

• qazmlpgh says:

Or Ryan Swope. One of them can be another piece in Bill’s quest to build an all-white offense!

Seriously, though, WR has to be addressed. I’d like to see Bill double dip at the position with some of these guys:
        Robert Woods
        DeAndre Hopkins
        Markus Wheaton
        Chris Harper
        Quinton Patton
        Aaron Dobson
        Cobi Hamilton
        Erik Highsmith
        Marcus Davis

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

DeAndre Hopkins, is the best I think on your list, but he will be gone early. Patton, and Wheaton are very good.
          Swope and Vernon ar very much the same and better value as a later pick. 4h??

7. manxman2601 says:

You’ve got two of my three favourite players there in Wheaton and Mcfadden. I’ve been high on both for quite a while now. Kyle Juszczyk is also an excellent player and a great Pats fit.

I’d suggest adding Terron Armstead. Still raw as an OT, but he’s arguably the most athletic OT in the draft and if the rumoured 4.7 forty materialises at the combine, the most athletic OT of the last decade. Could see him moving to OG or challenging Cannon at RT if we don’t re-sign Vollmer.

I think we’ll need that mythical Cleveland #6 if we want Ansah. Outstanding prospect.