2013 NFL Mock Draft: Super Bowl Update

49. New York Giants
Eric Reid, FS, LSU* (SCOUTING REPORT)
After adding a tight end in the first round, the Giants add a player that can cover them in round two. Reid has tons of athleticism and with refinement of his technique and reads, will be a star in the NFL.

50. Chicago Bears
Alex Okafor, DE, Texas (SCOUTING REPORT)
Okafor has the ability to dominate lesser competition, but will struggle against top tackles. I think he can be a consistent 6-8 sack defensive end in the NFL.

51. Cincinnati Bengals
Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson
Remember when I said the Bengals could draft two running backs? I wasn’t joking. Like Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley in New England, Bernard and Ellington would be the future for the next four or five years at running back for Cincinnati.

52. Washington Redskins
Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky
Warford is another talented guard in a very deep class. He has unreal strength and moves well for a big man. Once he locks on, it is over.

53. Minnesota Vikings
Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina (SCOUTING REPORT)
Put Williams next to Jared Allen and let defenses figure out how to block them both. Williams can penetrate with the best of them when his motor is running hot.

54. Miami Dolphins (via IND)
Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford
Thomas looks like a replacement for Koa Misi to me, if he were to sign elsewhere this off-season. Thomas isn’t flashy, but performs his assignment and makes the plays required.

55. Seattle Seahawks
Manti Te’o, LB, Notre Dame (SCOUTING REPORT)
Cut through all the crap about Te’o in the last few weeks and you still have a very good linebacker that should be drafted somewhere between the 20th and 60th pick. His intangibles may be shot, but he can still play.

56. Green Bay Packers
Matt Elam, S, Florida* (SCOUTING NOTES)
Elams hits people. He is decent in coverage and doesn’t have great size, but he lives to hit. With Casey Hayward and Elam, the youth movement in the backfield would be great for Green Bay.

57. Houston Texans
Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee (SCOUTING REPORT)
After adding an underneath weapon in Tavon Austin, putting Hunter outside opposite of Andre Johnson might make this Texans offense unfair – if Matt Schaub can handle it.

58. Denver Broncos
Sam Montgomery, DE/OLB, LSU* (SCOUTING NOTES)
I’ve soured on Montgomery a bit, but it is hard to deny his innate skills. From what I’ve heard, he was asked to play “contain” a lot at LSU. If he can open it up in the NFL, the Broncos pass rush could get even better.

59. New England Patriots
Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall (SCOUTING REPORT)
Dobson has unreal hands and despite having only good deep speed, is able to separate vertically. He is physical and can get off press coverage, which will endear him to Tom Brady and Josh McDaniels. Markus Wheaton and Terrance Williams are two other possibilities here.

60. Atlanta Falcons
Jordan Reed, TE, Florida
With Tony Gonzalez (maybe?) retiring, Reed seems like a decent, but different, replacement. Reed is a “joker” that certainly can’t block like Gonzalez, but could be nearly as lethal in the passing game.

61. San Francisco 49ers
Margus Hunt, DE, SMU (SCOUTING NOTES)
The 49ers defense can afford a luxury pick. Hunt is still a project, but he has the frame and athleticism to develop into something, well, never seen before.

62. Baltimore Ravens
Phillip Thomas, FS, Fresno State (SCOUTING REPORT)
Thomas can play either safety position and has shown the ability to be a true ballhawk this season, leading the country in interceptions.

CONTINUE TO ROUND 3

READ MORE MOCK DRAFTS

Continue to Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Tags: 2013 NFL Draft, 2013 NFL Mock Draft, Datone Jones, Geno Smith

58 Responses to “2013 NFL Mock Draft: Super Bowl Update”

1. Roger says:

Jonathan Banks and Ezekiel Ansah to the Rams?

They’ve got Jenkins, Finnegan, and Trumaine Johnson at CB already.

And they’ve got Chris Long and Robert Quinn at DE.

Those picks make no sense whatsoever.

2. matt says:

I was really liking it, but had to stop reading when you had the panthers pick a te in the first. Just a ridiculous pick. DT, CB, S, OG, OT, AND WR are the needs for this draft and absolutely zero chance, as in I would hand over my bank account to you before they would take a te there. Crazy stuff. Die hard panther fan here and i can’t stress enough how wrong this pick is. Truly at this moment the top options are Sheldon Richardson, kenny vacaro, Sharif floyd, chance Warmack, keenan allen, cordarelle Patterson, and lane Johnson. All of those three would have a bigger and more important impact on the team than a te. Chris gamble is getting cut for salary cap reasons so corner looks like a 2nd or 4th round pick. Nakamura isn’t a starting ss and with martin now a free agent this is a DIRE need. Same with DT, unless we can resign dwan edwards (3rd most sacks for dt’s this year, but old).

3. Dano S says:

Pats Predictions for Draft.
    1 Trade for a 2nd and 5th 2 Trade for 3 and 5
    2 Justin Hunter WR Tennessee
    3 Jonathan Banks CB Miss.St
    3 Travis Frederick G Wisconsin
    4 Cornellius Carridine DE Fla St
    5 Chase Thomas OLB Stanford
    7 Alonzo Highsmith OLB Arkansas
    7 Matt Summers-Gavin G Cal.

4. joeisme says:

The Packers cannot afford to take Jones in the first round. They have too many needs to take a HUGE injury risk like Jones. Besides they get Perry back and he will be at OLB along with Mathews.

5. Adam says:

Maybe it’s just alma mater bias, but as I was scrolling down the 3rd round selections, I just knew Jake Knott was going to be slotted in the Pats’ spot. I would love that pick. I really hope it happens.

Falling in love with a player/ alma mater bias whatever the question should be, who will he beatout for a slot on the team? Not one of the starters. Revera, Carpenter, Koutouvides and can we be damn sure? Why? If not sure then it’s a waisted choice given our limited picks this year. I’m just not convinced.

• Another thought, LB is not a position of need, it’s a position of want. Prioritys should be from need unless a talent is so much better then others at that point. Knott does not meet that requirement at 3rd.

6. kevin says:

I really like the Jones pick but you guys have been saying he looks like a monster so I think he will get snagged up quick. I love the holloman idea a tone setter in the back end is what we need.bring in a wide out in round three or a oline prospect

• Seems there is lots of support for a wr out there but down at pick 93 I think the best of them will be gone. If Bill does go for a wr he needs to do so earlier.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I tink WRConner Vernon in the 5th maybe 4th if Patriots trade for some picks.

• Probably right but I don’t include him in with the “best of them”. Could he come in and compete for a slot, sure. Will he be a differance maker? I doubt it.

7. Joe Blake says:

Grab a NT first round. A good class. In second round, draft the best SS available, a hitter to set the tone. Third an OLB with cover skills. Spend most of the $16m on Welker and Talib. Trade Mallet for draft picks. Pick up Robinson in say 7 th round to give defenses another look at QB..speed, option. He could also play in slot, kr if we lose#11….carry another free agent pocket QB as insurance. Stop using up Welker to return punts and stop using #32 to return kick offs. Hopeful on Demps. Glad to see Ballard as Gronk insurance. Armstead should complement Jones….

• NT Okay, olb okay, but when we have Brady why in the world would we take him out in favor of another qb? Resign Welker & Talib, yes, sure, no brainer. Who does what depends on who’s healthy. Edelmen was doing a good job returning punts but got injured and maybe Demps will be a good ko returner, we can hope but we can’t control injurys.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I think Talib will get th Fra. Tag, and let him play a full year before a pricy contract. I think BB will look DT next year, this year, OG/T , SS, maybe two CB’s one in the 7th, a WR later (Conner Vernon).
        Datone Jones is every bit as good as Damontre Moore, and Bjoern Werner, so look for him to go early.
        Welker is a tough call, I think they offer a 2 year deal, 14 mil. if he wants to stay take it,or go. Why would he want to play for the Raiders for more money ???
        Vollmer will be signed.

8. dslave says:

+what would be the market fo mallet?

• That’s the $64 question. I think he mighy pick up a 4th and 5th but that’s a guess. Never can tell with backup qbs with zero game experance. If some GM out there really likes him perhaps a 2nd, if no one likes him you get nothing. Your guess is as good as the next guys.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I think a good fit would be Cleveland, to compete with Weeden to start. I think I would give a 4th, 7th and 4th ,5th next year. If I’m take a chance on this years QB draft class, I would be most likely spending a 2nd, so a few more later picks alows my higher picks to still be in place for team needs.

• That trade would be a good deal for us but would Clev part with 4 choices even spread over 2 years? In two preseasons Mallet has been pretty average looking and han no meaningful regular season playing time. Just saying.
          Sure hope we get another DT/DE this year because if Wilfolk ever gets injured our D is in big trouble. I’m still thinking Kwain Gathers could be there for our 3rd. He would be a nice fit for an inside rotation.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I think for Cleveland these picks would be very fair. Look at Malletts college tape, then a year with NFL coaches, and Practice with TOM. The Patriots gave a 3d for him , so a 4th, 7th this year and 4th, something? 7th then? next year.
          If your looking at drafting a QB this year you will be using a 2nd, so value of draft choices is far less, even with 4 picks.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I like Gathers DT lot also, just not sure how he would fit in our draft.

• All good for me, I’d make that deal in a heart beat then bring Cassel back. Jorden Rogers qb Vandy then with a 7th to compete, could surprise. Hope Bill reads this.

• Oh, re: Gathers– If Talib is tagged & with 29 take Rhodes, who can back up at cb and learn ss then Hollomen becomes redundant and we select Gathers @ 91. Probably a couple ways of doing it besides this but you get the idea.

9. Nick says:

Pats need Johnathan Cyprien.

10. Can sombody please explain the LEO term? Showing my age I guess I’m just not up with that one.

11. Jethro says:

Need a big hitter enforcer type SS. Not sure about Holloman. But if they can Cyprien in the 2nd, I’d like that. Big hitter, good in coverage, seems like a leader. McCourty is good as the FS, but Gregory is NOT his compliment.

• I looked up some film on the guy but I wasn’t really very impressed. As often as not on runs he was being blocked, doing a lot of chasing. Saw a couple good tackles and some not so good. Coverage looked average plus you must consider level of compitition. Listed size 6-0 210. not an intimadator. I think i’d pass on him.

12. steve earle says:

Not much good to say about this Mock. Christensen goes from the impossable to less desireable. Jones will go far above our reach. Dobson will be far from the best wr still on the board and even further from best value overall at positions of need. Knott? Come on 3rd is such a reach for this guy it’s silly.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Jake Knott LB will suprise I like the guy, but he’s limited to just LB, not pass rusher or S option. Covers backs well, TE’s a little harder for him. Great run stopper. I think he’s taken in the 3d, but just to many choices for the Pats to look at at 3d.

• Russell could be right that Knott is taken in the 3rd but I hope it’s not us. Russell’s evaluation pretty much mirrors mine so he’s really a nitch kind of player in NFL basicly a run stopper with limited cover ability.

13. Russell Easterbrooks says:

I think a hard nose SS that can cover TE’s is a big need. Vaccaro will be gone early, and Elam lacks size. I think this guy Devonte Holloman is the guy, and not so well known that the Patriots can get him in the 3d round. At 6’2″ 230+ the size is there, his speed is about avg. at 46.2 40 for someone 230+(combine will give us a solid number).
    I also think a CB is needed, but once again I don’t see a big name, with BB trading out of the 1st round.
    I also feel we draft an OG/T as a future starter on the Oline.
    WR late, or 7th pick guy like Mychal Rivera TE, at 6’3″ 230+ he could play in the slot, as Hernadez does, etc.
    If BB trades an gets a 2nd,4th and ??? (4th) ?? next year, for our 1st would be the best. Other options maybe our 1st for 3d,4th and a 3d,4th next year ( not as good now,but good for 2014) or trade our 2nd , for a 3d, 4th. these options would most likely be with a mid-round team.

14. Russell Easterbrooks says:

The Jones pick is good, but I think he goes in the top 15 in the draft. I think we will trade back, but for the mock I would go, OG/T Brain Winters 1st. I like Dobson as well but he is a 3-4th pick, and I think Pats take a WR later. I would go with, DE/LB John Simon . I like Knott also, but feel we need a CB/S here, I like, S/LB DeVante Holloman. Holloman could start at SS, great run stopper/tackler, at 6’2″ 230 a big cover guy on TE’s. High IQ, and diagnose’s plays well, and takes good angles in coverage. NOT a CB type cover guy, but up grade, over Steve Gregory.
    With BB most likely trading back for more choices, these player picks could still work, and we could pick up a WR like Conner Vernon in the 4th. With TWO 7th picks I would grab, CB Demetrius McCray,( who may move up after the Combine) and TE Mychal Rivera.

We would have to move way up, I agree, to get Jones and we just don’t have the choices to do so. But he sure would look good on the de slot. I do hope Russell is wrong about trading down because that would mean another lost year of ststus quo. BB seemed to have finally come to realize thet the window is closing on Brady and acted accordingly which is why I would not be surprised if Bill stood pat or if he does trade down it would be only a few spots into the 2nd. His only other option for serious improvement is to go heave into free agency where he has gotten burned about half the time.

By the way wanted to mention about McCray moving up, that would leave a 7th open. A kid I like who may slide down there is Kenny Tate from Mar’ld. He was a safety until this year, moved to olb, Good size, speed. Would be a project but has talented. Low rish, high reward kind of player.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

This guy Tate is interesting, 6’4″ 220 runs 4.74 , similar size to Holloman, tho Holloman is 6’2″ 230+ runs alittle better 4.64. Tate looks similar on tape, missed a few tackles, but was a ball hawk. Looks good at SS in coverage on WR’s. Has a hard time with blockers in the run game,, but all in all looks good at a 7th pick. Nice find I will add him to my draft board as a 7th pick.

• Question? Are you projecting Hollerman to ss or lb? He has pretty good speed as currently reported. I’m thinking he might be a good coverage lb type in pro’s. As for ss he’s pretty big there, how well does he move? We’ll know more after the combine (all others too). He’s now on my watch list, you may have found a gem.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I think Holloman would work in sub-packages a SS, and at LB to start with , for the Patriots. He moves fairly well, runs a 4.64 40 at 230+ , smart player taking good angles, can cover a TE well, maybe slot, but not WR’s on the outside. Reads plays well (a Plus) long arms to keep off blocks, solid in run game.
          It’s also interesting to note , Patriot scouts attended 5 South Carolina games this year, wonder who they were watching? (Holloman, “Spur” , D.J. Swearinger S , or ???

• NEPD says:

DeVonte is a good player – we had this to say about him during the Shrine Game.

“Holloman was reading the plays from the sidelines and barking them out to the safeties and LBs, and he only missed the call twice out of about 25 times. It was very impressive, and he also showed real leadership and positive encouragement to his mates.”

15. Jim R says:

Trading down………

16. Scott says:

The Saints aleady have Jahri Evans & Ben Grubbs and you want to give them Jonathan Cooper in the 1st?

17. azdude says:

Like the Jones pick for the Pats with the Jones brothers going forward, they might be able to start getting to the QB. I would like to see a “Wilfork” replacement in the second over a wide receiver but do think it is also time to start addressing that. The Patton kid out of LA Tech seems to be a good fit. For the secondary, I say keep Talib or go out and get another veteran that can help stabilize the young core group. Let Welker walk and spend that money on a lock down corner or hard hitting strong safety.

18. AM says:

Love Dobson in the 2nd round–my favorite player in the draft so far. I’d like to see Trufant in the first, even if it means trading back a few spots.

Trufant is a guy I also like but 29 is a little early so yes, a trade down would be in order. 2nd too early for Dobson in my opinion.

• AM says:

I agree that Trufant at 29 is early right now, but I have a feeling he is going to have a Stephon Gilmore-like rise by the time all is said and done, for better or worse. There’s a long way to go, but I imagine he’ll be a first-rounder.

As to Dobson, I know this is a deep WR class, but do you really think he isn’t a top 60 pick? Also curious to hear other thoughts on which WR would best fit the bill–a lot of options right now.

Your right there are lot’s of options and everything depends as to how it all unfolds. My thinking, you may know,is that wr is like a 3rd priority. Still though the wr I like is Markus Wheaton but think heis a mid 2nd. I wouldn’t object to moving up in the 2nd to take him ( pkg our 59 with a 5th in 14) for something around 45 if he were available all providing we address need positions with real upgrades.

My wish list allowing for wr:
          1. Xavior Rhodes cb best db still on board @ 29
          2. Markus Wheaton wr 4.4 =/- using above trade up plan
          3. Kwain Gathers dt big body inside, rest Wilfolk, collaps pocket.
          As for the 2 x 7′s many ideas out there.
          You may also want to read Russell Easterbrooks ideas, he and I have been kicking around stuff. He has good thoughts and veriations which may or may not happen. But heck that the fun in all this.
          About Dobson, His speed to me is his only draw back. I worry it’s good enough for collage but he might be a problem in the NFL. Sure guys like that do make it sometimes big but their the exceptions. Not saying he won’t go as high as mid 2nd just I’d not take him there.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

WR Conner Vernon is a Patriot guy, more for the slot, than WR, and will be great value at 4th pick. Solid route runner, avg. speed, smart player, in a high pass O at Duke. CATCHES the ball !!

• I might also add that Trufant is a true cb and because I consider Rhodes could also play safety I think he has greater value to Pats. As suggested Trufant’s stock could go up into the 1st rd but as far as the Pats are concerned his value wouldn’t. I’d stay with Rhodes with the 29th.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Trufant will end-up in the top 20 or so in the Draft. When the Patriots draft a CB it will be 2d-3d, and a second CB later.
          I like Darius Slay (Banks team mate) 6’1″ 190 runs a 4.53, and handled returns, is a good cover guy, who was thrown at a fair amount, with Banks at the other CB.
          I also like Demetrius McCray (a sleeper till the Combine) 6’1″ 185 runs a 4.4 ,(fastest time 4.23 !) A ball hawk, very good cover guy.

19. Kyle says:

The only thing more foolish than relying on Ras’IR Dowling to be a factor next year was drafting him in the first place. If he gets injured again, I say cut him right then and there. It is apparent he cannot and will not stay healthy.

Totally agree! it’s always foolish to draft a player with extensive injurys history at any point.

• Kyle says:

Especially at 33 overall, when that pick could have been dealt for a future first rounder, according to reports. Bottom line: if the guy deals with consistent injury issues in college, that problem will not magically disappear when he gets to the NFL.

20. Jagsman says:

for the jags draft i kinda like it with the 1st and 3rd round picks.

however i see the jags going with a big corner like Rhodes who fits the scheme better or even Jordan(would be a heck of an OLB or LEO).

i also think that while Williams would be a great pick i think adding a Big Space Eater like Jenkins to the jags defensive line would be better especially in solving our run defense.