2013 NFL Mock Draft: Matthew Jones (2/1)

Eric Reid LSU Safety

Could Eric Reid be donning a Patriots uniform next year? (Photo: US Presswire)

NEPD Editor: Matthew Jones

Last week Geno Smith sat atop the mock draft; this week, there’s a new player projected to go number one overall. Read on for my latest one-round projection, featuring widespread changes from top to bottom.

Last update: February 1

1. Kansas City Chiefs – OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M*

Geno Smith has occupied this space for quite some time, but Joeckel is another strong possibility; Andy Reid’s affinity for drafting in the trenches is well-established. Free agent Branden Albert is likely a contract paying him over $10 million per year.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars – DE Damontre Moore, Texas A&M*

Moore makes sense as a replacement for Jeremy Mincey, who unfortunately failed to live up to expectations after signing a lucrative contract extension this offseason. The A&M rusher’s versatility could appeal to Gus Bradley as a fit in his creative fronts.

3. Oakland Raiders – DT Star Lotulelei, Utah

With Damontre Moore off the board, Lotulelei makes sense considering the lack of production the Raiders got from Tommy Kelly last year. Richard Seymour is set to hit the open market as well; he could opt to leave town for a team in contention.

4. Philadelphia Eagles – CB Dee Milliner, Alabama*

Nnamdi Asomugha has a massive contract; most of his $15 million base salary can be recovered by releasing him. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is set to become a free agent as well, meaning the Eagles could find themselves in need of a starter or two.

5. Detroit Lions – DE Bjoern Werner, Florida St.*

Werner could become an immediate starter for the Lions, who may lose left end Cliff Avril to free agency this offseason. Right end Kyle Vanden Bosch is a prime cap casualty candidate as well; Werner has played both positions with the Seminoles.

6. Cleveland Browns – LB Jarvis Jones, Georgia*

Jabaal Sheard makes sense at the “elephant” position in Cleveland’s new three-man front; however, they will need a complementary player at outside linebacker. Jones, the draft’s top pass-rusher, is worth the risk despite serious medical concerns.

7. Arizona Cardinals – OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan

Bruce Arians needs to find offensive tackles to protect Arizona’s next quarterback; Fisher, whose stock rose in Mobile, would fit in well on the left side. None of the Cardinals’ current options at the position should be appealing to the new staff.

8. Buffalo Bills – QB Geno Smith, West Virginia

Recent speculation has focused on North Carolina State senior Mike Glennon, but Smith probably has the higher draft stock right now; he’s a decent value at this point. If both Kansas City and Buffalo pass, Smith could slip out of the top ten.

9. New York Jets – DE Barkevious Mingo, Louisiana St.*

Quinton Coples looks like the long-term right end in New York’s defense, but New York still lacks an additional pass-rushing option. Mingo should be appealing because he canplay either his usual left end spot or transition to a role as a rush linebacker.

10. Tennessee Titans – DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri*

Mike Martin is an effective nose tackle, but Tennessee could use a consistent starter at the three-technique “under” tackle spot. Richardson’s stock has been on the rise since the second half of this season and a player with his quickness makes sense.

11. San Diego Chargers – WR Keenan Allen, California*

Look for Allen’s draft stock to improve once he shows that he has recovered from a late-season knee injury. Philip Rivers would greatly benefit from a replacement for Vincent Jackson, who San Diego tried to replace last year with Robert Meachem.

12. Miami Dolphins – OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma

Jake Long appears to be on his way out in Miami; if he departs, the Dolphins will need at least one new offensive tackle next season. Johnson has the versatility to play on either side of the line depending on where Jonathan Martin lines up.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – CB Johnthan Banks, Mississippi St.

It may be a smokescreen, but the Buccaneers have been rumored to be interested in Banks for some time now. The fit makes sense, considering Tampa Bay’s current group of cornerbacks, which will look even thinner if Eric Wright is released.

14. Carolina Panthers – DT John Jenkins, Georgia

The massive 360-pound Jenkins would be a perfect fit in Ron Rivera’s defense, where his size and his effectiveness against the run would help upgrade a Panthers defensive which occasionally struggled against inside rushing attempts.

15. New Orleans Saints – DT Johnathan Hankins, Ohio St.*

After firing defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, the Saints are reportedly considering moving to a 3-4 defensive front; if they choose to do so, especially if they opt to hire Romeo Crennel or Eric Mangini, they’ll need to look for a nose tackle.

16. St. Louis Rams – OG Chance Warmack, Alabama

The Rams had some difficulties finding a consistent starter at their left guard spot; that could be remedied by drafting Chance Warmack, one of the draft’s top talents. Warmack would help Jeff Fisher establish an aggressive, smashmouth identity.

Continue to Page: 1 2

Tags: 2013 NFL Mock Draft, Eric Reid, Luke Joeckel

26 Responses to “2013 NFL Mock Draft: Matthew Jones (2/1)”

1. So much of our conversation here has turned around BB trading 29 down with the Browns for multipul picks that I put out some feelers to mock draft site for Cleve. Apparently no such whispers are heard out that way. Maybe just to soon there or wishful thinking here?

2. russell easterbooks says:

Steve, I think BB will stay at 29 IF he has a player targeted, or we get choices by trading QB Ryan Mallett. (3d,4th ) Barrett Jones , Datone Jones are both gone, But maybe CB Jorden Poyer is there. I feel CB is a better position for the Pats to get, but this is the only one I think BB would take a chance on early. I like Darius Slay CB in the 2dor3d. As for Winters, he is a BB type guy, who I think is gone late 2nd. With Mankins starting his 9th year, and Connolly his 8th, Winters is a long term starter.
    Have you seen tape on Joe Vellano DT this guy is so much like Wilfork it’s hard to believe! I also like , Tobais Palmer WR 5’11″ 180 runs 4.48 and did alot of returns, projected as undrafted.

Jordan Poyer would be a good pick @29, a pure corner though. Rhodes has the flexability to move to safety, thats why I champion him. Russell, we both like Winters and I think we agree 29 is to early but I’m not convinced he would be gone before 59, can’t tell, just my guts. Plus given the number of good O-line this draft in midrounds I wouldn’t trade up in 2nd for him, though if Barrett Jones came within reach in the 2nd he would be worth it I think, though that’s unlikely. Another player I think worth moving up for in the 2nd is wr Markus Wheaton.
      I have seen highlights of Palmer as kr, but even if Mallett is traded for a couple midround picks I can only see a late round (7) for him. Not very productive as a wr. I’ll have to look up Vellano, I have not seen anything on him yet. Thanks for the heads up on him.

• russell easterbooks says:

Palmer was just a thought, as we need help on K-off returns, and maybe could develope as a slot guy, much like Edelman for a 7th pick. If he goes undrafted I would hope they would call him!!
        I Like Wheaton as the best WR for the Patriots, I’m just not sure BB drafts a WR that high. (2nd)
        Winters may last to 59, but then theres Wheaton , who won’t last till 3d. You are right, there are other Olineman, I guess it depends if Winters is a target player or not. Another guy who scores higher than Winters, is Matt Summers-Gavin who looks good, at a 4th pick.
        I like Joe Vellano alot and think he moves up the boards, to 5th or 4th by draft day. Last year we took Wilson a 5th, 2nd, and Ebner a 7th at 5th so who knows ! It all depends if the player is targeted or not.

• Agree completly. Lots of good supporting players way down of ufa. Bill pulls a couple up every year it seems. I reall like that. Look at Kyle Love and Dane Fletcher, knowing what we know know these guys would have been solid late second or mid 3rd rounders. Probably why I’m far less concerned about getting lots of mid/low round picks.

• Vellano highlights show a solid football guy, mid round I would guess. Saw him listed at both 285# and 300#. Be interesting to watch him at the combine.

3. J H TARBORO says:

Patriot Fans 1st round CB or SS 2nd round WR/RB/KR Tavon Austin!!! Enough Said.

• Austin would be just another undersized slot receiver with the Pats who I’m pretty sure will resign Welker (Brady’s safety blanket) plus can put Vereen, Woodhead, possably Demps, out there. As wr goes we need an outside guy that can be a deep threat. Agree db best as a 29 pick depending on who.

4. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Has anyone seen the tape on this, Tobais Palmer WR/Returner 5’11″ 180 runs a 4.48 40?? He is projected as “undrafted”, would seem worth a 7th to me!!
    Also Keith McGill CB/FS 6’3″ 202, runs 4.49 is projected as “undrafted”, his tape was good and worth a 7th.

5. Nick says:

If the Chargers miss on Fisher they’ll take Warmack. The O-line is SD’s weakest spot and getting the top guard in the last few years is much better then a hurt WR. I know you can’t make everyone happy but grabbing a Robert Woods in the 2nd makes more sense

6. I see this mock has KC taking the OT with the #1. If so, given their need for a QB, the question about screams out, who will be under center this season? Could Mallett’s name pop up in that conversation? Alex Smith a possability? To bad Matt Jones didn’t go beyond the 1st rd and shed some light on the question.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I think Mallett could go to any number of teams. Cleveland, Jacksonville, K.C. or Arizona. I think he is well worth, a 3d,and 4th pick this year. Time will tell but the signing of QB Mike Kafka , sends a message.

• chieftiger says:

Well steve that because this mock draft is WRONG! KC will take Gino Smith. He is by far the best QB in the draft. OL is NOT a need.

7. joeisme says:

Short is NOT a #1 draft choice. The Packes will look for an OT or a better DL. Short takes far too many plays off to even be a #2 much less a huge stretch at #1

8. Russell Easterbrooks says:

I’m not a big backer of S Reid, as I think the Patriots trade back, BUT for this Mock I think Pats take OC/OG Barrett Jones , tho I think he goes to GB or the Colts before the Pats Pick.
    Again with this Mock , DE/T Datone Jones, tho again I think he goes to the Saints at #15.

• I agree that Barrett and Jones look to be taken before Pats have a chance for them but I still think Rhodes has a decent shot at being available to be grabbed at 29 though Russell has avoided even considering him, I wonder why? In Rhodes we would get an agressive corner to fill out a three player rotation at the position and insurance in case Talib’s asking price is to high. Secondly Rhodes has the size to make the transition to ss, and the extre speed where he could excell at it. Would like Russell to give his evalutation of this player.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Well OK here goes, Reid has geat size at 6’2″ 212, runs well 4.59 40. On tape he is a hard hitter in the run game, his tackling is OK, does not wrap-up, wants to throw his body instead. Has trouble in open field tackling. His coverage on TE’s is fair, he often is in chase mode. He is what I would call, an undisciplined player. In deep Safty some of his angles in coverage, were not the best . As a Jr. I feel it would have helped him to play one more year. I think he played on a very good team with a big pass rush, which help him.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

If I was drafting a S I like Vaccaro better, phillip Thomas, DeVonte Holloman at SS or D.J.Swearinger.
          I’m not big on Elam either.

• Vaccaro by all means would be the better pick but once again we’re talking about a guy who in all probillity will not be around at 29. Your assesment of Rhodes I’ll not debate, but given the kind of coaching he would receive in NE those neg’s would largely become positives. His upside is far higher then Thomas, Holloman or Swearinger, no disrespect to those three prospects. It could of course be all accidemic if Bill trades down. Though I do think keeping and drafting Rhodes at 29 (if available) would lead to a far stronger secondary.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I agree the secondary would be improved, I just feel a guy like Holloman fits the Patriot way better, being a more versititle player. We will see thats the fun of evaluateing players, entanglables, etc. We won’t be drafting at 29 mostlikely anyway. I feel sure the first player the Patriot draft will be OG/T Brain Winters, or Barrett Jones.

Given BB’s pratice of moving around in the draft it’s reasonable that he will trade down and out of the 29 though I’d rather he takes a high value pick with it. Having said that I have both Barrett Jones and Brian Winters on my board, rounds 1 and 3 respectivly. Both are likely to make the roster though it’s questionable in my mind if either would unseat any current starter on the o-line. Jones having the best chance though not a sure thing by any means. On the other hand I feel Rhodes, Faulk, Wheaton, and Gathers all could challange their respective starters as respect to where I suggested they might be taken in the draft.

9. Chris says:

There is no way the bengals go DE in the first round!! Yes Michael Johnson will be a FA, but the bengals have the most cap space of any team in the league. He will be signed or tagged. The bengals will go Ogeltree, Te’o, Arthur Brown, or Kahseem Greene in the first.

10. Footballl Mensa says:

Really , Patterson to Dallas in the first ? That is the worst pick for Dallas I have seen in any mock. Dallas has a horrible d line and a worse o line.

11. KR Kenney says:

I love reading your site and your mock drafts, but there’s no way Houston goes with a guard in the first round — they clearly intend for both Brandon Brooks and Ben Jones to be the guards of the future. They also have much more pressing needs than guard, even along the offensive line (right tackle, for instance).