2013 NFL Mock Draft: Matthew Jones (2/1)

17. Pittsburgh Steelers – SS Kenny Vaccaro, Texas

Vaccaro has a similar skillset to current Steelers starter Troy Polamalu; the former is an aggressive run supporter with some coverage limitations. The Steelers don’t need to find an immediate replacement, but could opt for a good fit in Vaccaro.

18. Dallas Cowboys – WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee*

Derek Dooley, who served Tennessee’s head coach from 2010-2012, has taken over as Dallas’ wide receivers coach. Consequently, a pick such as Patterson makes sense considering Miles Austin’s expensive contract, which could cost him his job.

19. New York Giants – DE Ezekiel Ansah, Brigham Young

Ansah impressed during Senior Bowl week, helping to alleviate concerns that he will not be an immediate contributor in the NFL next season. Ansah’s length, quickness, and versatility would make him a perfect fit in Perry Fewell’s Giants defense.

20. Chicago Bears – LB Manti Te’o, Notre Dame

Te’o’s character concerns have destroyed his public imagine; however, he should still appeal to teams as a potential long-term starting option at inside linebacker. Brian Urlacher is nearing the end of his career, which should open the door for Te’o.

21. Cincinnati Bengals – DE Alex Okafor, Texas

Michael Johnson is set to become a free agent; despite finishing the season with an impressive 11.5 sacks, he was not a consistent pass rush option. Okafor would fit in well opposite Carlos Dunlap in defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer’s four-man front.

22. St. Louis Rams (from Redskins) – OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama*

After drafting Warmack earlier, St. Louis could potentially finish their offensive line with a right tackle such as Fluker. Along with left tackle Rodger Saffold, center Scott Wells, and right guard Harvey Dahl, St. Louis would have a formidable unit.

23. Minnesota Vikings – LB Alec Ogletree, Georgia*

Middle linebacker Jasper Brinkley is a free agent who has struggled throughout his career, playing in just the 2009 and 2012 seasons. The Vikings would be wise to investigate alternative options such as Ogletree, an athletic specimen.

24. Indianapolis Colts – DE Sam Montgomery, Louisiana St.*

Dwight Freeney is likely headed elsewhere this offseason after struggling in his transition to outside linebacker; the Colts must find a legitimate rusher opposite Robert Mathis, which could lead them towards the 6’5”, 260-pound Montgomery.

25. Seattle Seahawks – WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia

Tavon Austin could remind Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell of Percy Harvin, a player Bevell coached in Minnesota. Seattle already has two talented options at receiver in Sidney Rice and Golden Tate, but could use a slot option.

26. Green Bay Packers – DT Kawann Short, Purdue

Green Bay may opt to finish their defensive line this season, replacing 33 year-old lineman Ryan Pickett with a more effective pass rusher. Pickett is owed $6.1 million in 2013; he may be a cap casualty, but either way it’s time to groom a replacement.

27. Houston Texans – OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina

Jonathan Cooper’s natural left guard spot has been a bit of a problem area for Houston this season; the Texans are currently starting Wade Smith at the position, who will turn 32 this April. Cooper is a fantastic fit in Houston’s zone scheme.

28. Denver Broncos – DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida*

Both of Denver’s starting defensive tackles, Justin Bannan and Kevin Vickerson, are effective run defenders, but neither of the two offers pressure in the passing game. Floyd has been on the rise lately; he has an intriguing mix of bulk and versatility.

29. New England Patriots – SS Eric Reid, Louisiana St.*

This pick may be somewhat alarming considering New England’s inability to develop defensive backs recently, but Reid’s well-rounded skillset makes him an excellent value here. He could provide the physical presence the secondary currently lacks.

30. Atlanta Falcons – TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame*

Tony Gonzalez has been contemplating retirement for years, meaning the Falcons would be wise to begin searching for potential successors. Eifert, a massive weapon with some schematic versatility, would fit in well alongside Atlanta’s other weapons.

31. Baltimore Ravens – DT Jesse Williams, Alabama

Williams is the type of big-bodied defender Ravens defensive coordinator Dean Pees looks for in the front seven; he could fit at nose tackle and additionally has the versatility to play some defensive end in Baltimore’s odd defensive fronts.

32. San Francisco 49ers – CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida St.*

Rhodes remains a solid option for San Francisco should they opt to look for an upgrade over Carlos Rogers, who declined this season and slid inside at times; the Florida State product’s size and physicality should appeal to Jim Harbaugh.

READ MORE MOCK DRAFTS

Continue to Page: 1 2

Tags: 2013 NFL Mock Draft, Eric Reid, Luke Joeckel

26 Responses to “2013 NFL Mock Draft: Matthew Jones (2/1)”

1. So much of our conversation here has turned around BB trading 29 down with the Browns for multipul picks that I put out some feelers to mock draft site for Cleve. Apparently no such whispers are heard out that way. Maybe just to soon there or wishful thinking here?

2. russell easterbooks says:

Steve, I think BB will stay at 29 IF he has a player targeted, or we get choices by trading QB Ryan Mallett. (3d,4th ) Barrett Jones , Datone Jones are both gone, But maybe CB Jorden Poyer is there. I feel CB is a better position for the Pats to get, but this is the only one I think BB would take a chance on early. I like Darius Slay CB in the 2dor3d. As for Winters, he is a BB type guy, who I think is gone late 2nd. With Mankins starting his 9th year, and Connolly his 8th, Winters is a long term starter.
    Have you seen tape on Joe Vellano DT this guy is so much like Wilfork it’s hard to believe! I also like , Tobais Palmer WR 5’11″ 180 runs 4.48 and did alot of returns, projected as undrafted.

Jordan Poyer would be a good pick @29, a pure corner though. Rhodes has the flexability to move to safety, thats why I champion him. Russell, we both like Winters and I think we agree 29 is to early but I’m not convinced he would be gone before 59, can’t tell, just my guts. Plus given the number of good O-line this draft in midrounds I wouldn’t trade up in 2nd for him, though if Barrett Jones came within reach in the 2nd he would be worth it I think, though that’s unlikely. Another player I think worth moving up for in the 2nd is wr Markus Wheaton.
      I have seen highlights of Palmer as kr, but even if Mallett is traded for a couple midround picks I can only see a late round (7) for him. Not very productive as a wr. I’ll have to look up Vellano, I have not seen anything on him yet. Thanks for the heads up on him.

• russell easterbooks says:

Palmer was just a thought, as we need help on K-off returns, and maybe could develope as a slot guy, much like Edelman for a 7th pick. If he goes undrafted I would hope they would call him!!
        I Like Wheaton as the best WR for the Patriots, I’m just not sure BB drafts a WR that high. (2nd)
        Winters may last to 59, but then theres Wheaton , who won’t last till 3d. You are right, there are other Olineman, I guess it depends if Winters is a target player or not. Another guy who scores higher than Winters, is Matt Summers-Gavin who looks good, at a 4th pick.
        I like Joe Vellano alot and think he moves up the boards, to 5th or 4th by draft day. Last year we took Wilson a 5th, 2nd, and Ebner a 7th at 5th so who knows ! It all depends if the player is targeted or not.

• Agree completly. Lots of good supporting players way down of ufa. Bill pulls a couple up every year it seems. I reall like that. Look at Kyle Love and Dane Fletcher, knowing what we know know these guys would have been solid late second or mid 3rd rounders. Probably why I’m far less concerned about getting lots of mid/low round picks.

• Vellano highlights show a solid football guy, mid round I would guess. Saw him listed at both 285# and 300#. Be interesting to watch him at the combine.

3. J H TARBORO says:

Patriot Fans 1st round CB or SS 2nd round WR/RB/KR Tavon Austin!!! Enough Said.

• Austin would be just another undersized slot receiver with the Pats who I’m pretty sure will resign Welker (Brady’s safety blanket) plus can put Vereen, Woodhead, possably Demps, out there. As wr goes we need an outside guy that can be a deep threat. Agree db best as a 29 pick depending on who.

4. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Has anyone seen the tape on this, Tobais Palmer WR/Returner 5’11″ 180 runs a 4.48 40?? He is projected as “undrafted”, would seem worth a 7th to me!!
    Also Keith McGill CB/FS 6’3″ 202, runs 4.49 is projected as “undrafted”, his tape was good and worth a 7th.

5. Nick says:

If the Chargers miss on Fisher they’ll take Warmack. The O-line is SD’s weakest spot and getting the top guard in the last few years is much better then a hurt WR. I know you can’t make everyone happy but grabbing a Robert Woods in the 2nd makes more sense

6. I see this mock has KC taking the OT with the #1. If so, given their need for a QB, the question about screams out, who will be under center this season? Could Mallett’s name pop up in that conversation? Alex Smith a possability? To bad Matt Jones didn’t go beyond the 1st rd and shed some light on the question.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I think Mallett could go to any number of teams. Cleveland, Jacksonville, K.C. or Arizona. I think he is well worth, a 3d,and 4th pick this year. Time will tell but the signing of QB Mike Kafka , sends a message.

• chieftiger says:

Well steve that because this mock draft is WRONG! KC will take Gino Smith. He is by far the best QB in the draft. OL is NOT a need.

7. joeisme says:

Short is NOT a #1 draft choice. The Packes will look for an OT or a better DL. Short takes far too many plays off to even be a #2 much less a huge stretch at #1

8. Russell Easterbrooks says:

I’m not a big backer of S Reid, as I think the Patriots trade back, BUT for this Mock I think Pats take OC/OG Barrett Jones , tho I think he goes to GB or the Colts before the Pats Pick.
    Again with this Mock , DE/T Datone Jones, tho again I think he goes to the Saints at #15.

• I agree that Barrett and Jones look to be taken before Pats have a chance for them but I still think Rhodes has a decent shot at being available to be grabbed at 29 though Russell has avoided even considering him, I wonder why? In Rhodes we would get an agressive corner to fill out a three player rotation at the position and insurance in case Talib’s asking price is to high. Secondly Rhodes has the size to make the transition to ss, and the extre speed where he could excell at it. Would like Russell to give his evalutation of this player.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Well OK here goes, Reid has geat size at 6’2″ 212, runs well 4.59 40. On tape he is a hard hitter in the run game, his tackling is OK, does not wrap-up, wants to throw his body instead. Has trouble in open field tackling. His coverage on TE’s is fair, he often is in chase mode. He is what I would call, an undisciplined player. In deep Safty some of his angles in coverage, were not the best . As a Jr. I feel it would have helped him to play one more year. I think he played on a very good team with a big pass rush, which help him.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

If I was drafting a S I like Vaccaro better, phillip Thomas, DeVonte Holloman at SS or D.J.Swearinger.
          I’m not big on Elam either.

• Vaccaro by all means would be the better pick but once again we’re talking about a guy who in all probillity will not be around at 29. Your assesment of Rhodes I’ll not debate, but given the kind of coaching he would receive in NE those neg’s would largely become positives. His upside is far higher then Thomas, Holloman or Swearinger, no disrespect to those three prospects. It could of course be all accidemic if Bill trades down. Though I do think keeping and drafting Rhodes at 29 (if available) would lead to a far stronger secondary.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I agree the secondary would be improved, I just feel a guy like Holloman fits the Patriot way better, being a more versititle player. We will see thats the fun of evaluateing players, entanglables, etc. We won’t be drafting at 29 mostlikely anyway. I feel sure the first player the Patriot draft will be OG/T Brain Winters, or Barrett Jones.

Given BB’s pratice of moving around in the draft it’s reasonable that he will trade down and out of the 29 though I’d rather he takes a high value pick with it. Having said that I have both Barrett Jones and Brian Winters on my board, rounds 1 and 3 respectivly. Both are likely to make the roster though it’s questionable in my mind if either would unseat any current starter on the o-line. Jones having the best chance though not a sure thing by any means. On the other hand I feel Rhodes, Faulk, Wheaton, and Gathers all could challange their respective starters as respect to where I suggested they might be taken in the draft.

9. Chris says:

There is no way the bengals go DE in the first round!! Yes Michael Johnson will be a FA, but the bengals have the most cap space of any team in the league. He will be signed or tagged. The bengals will go Ogeltree, Te’o, Arthur Brown, or Kahseem Greene in the first.

10. Footballl Mensa says:

Really , Patterson to Dallas in the first ? That is the worst pick for Dallas I have seen in any mock. Dallas has a horrible d line and a worse o line.

11. KR Kenney says:

I love reading your site and your mock drafts, but there’s no way Houston goes with a guard in the first round — they clearly intend for both Brandon Brooks and Ben Jones to be the guards of the future. They also have much more pressing needs than guard, even along the offensive line (right tackle, for instance).