2013 NFL Mock Draft: 7 Rounds of Patriots Picks

4th Round (Trade)Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M (6’0″/205)
While opting not to pick a WR earlier in the draft, the Patriots miss out on the high ceiling players. But what they do get is one of the most reliable players in the draft. Swope is a max effort player who is smart and dependable each week. Swope isn’t overly explosive but, he knows how to get open and catch the ball. He recognizes coverages and adjusts his routes accordingly. He’s good on screens and not afraid to sell his body out by going over the middle.

The number one requirement for a WR playing with Tom Brady is they have to be smart and able to make adjustments quickly. Swope possesses that ability along with reliable hands. His vertical speed is the main question mark surrounding Swope, but he’s able to make up for it with body positioning and precision route running. The WR position is the oldest position on the Patriots roster and the team lacks any kind of depth at the position. Swope fits their mold for a wide receiver perfectly, he’s smart, has good hands, a good blocker for a receiver and understands what the defenses are trying to do. Sounds like a Patriots player to me.

7th Round (via Chicago thru TB)Michael Mauti, LB, Penn State (6’2″/232)
With a long gap between picks, I expect the Patriots to be aggressive with their seventh round picks and try to hit a home run. Last year the Patriots took a chance on CB Alfonzo Dennard who had plummeted to the seventh round after an incident the week before the draft, and now the Patriots are reaping the rewards of that pick. Mauti would be a steal for a much different reason. He has outstanding character, however he has battled through a number of serious injuries at Penn State including another knee injury this past season. He had already torn both ACL’s prior to this injury. When on the field Mauti is the Nittany Lions physical and emotional leader.

He’s an instinctive player who makes an impact in the passing game as well as a run defender. He relies more on his awareness and instincts than his natural athleticism. All Penn State players who I talked to last year raved about his leadership ability and what he meant to that team both on/off the field. Due to his major injury concerns, Mauti is likely to fall in the draft. For the Patriots Mauti would give them some depth at a position where it’s needed. Mauti if healthy could be a big time contributor as a fourth linebacker. Either way it will be interesting to see how the Bill O’Brien – Bill Belichick connection influences the draft this year.

7th RoundJoe Vellano, DT, Maryland (6’1″/300)
Vellano fits the Mike Wright, Dan Klecko mold in that he is undersized for the position and isn’t the most physically gifted player. However, he makes up for all that with “grit and balls” (thanks KG). He’s a blue collar worker who battles play in and play out. His motor is unquestioned and he does a good job of finding the ball. He can play both tackle and end, I like him better inside where he can use his quickness to beat the blocker to the gap.

If Vellano was 6’4″ and more agile he would be a much higher pick. Nevertheless which ever team drafts Vellano is getting a lunch-pail player who will come to work ready to play hard each day.

Continue to Page: 1 2

Tags: 2013 NFL Draft, Leon McFadden, Mock Draft, Sharrif Floyd

35 Responses to “2013 NFL Mock Draft: 7 Rounds of Patriots Picks”

1. Jose Roberto says:

I think Sharrif Floyd in the first round but if not available Kawaan Short from Purdue
    2nd round i think they trade for a 3rd and 4th round pick
    3rd round Phillip Thomas (SS, Fresno State)
    3rd round Stedman Bailey (WR, West Virginia)
    4th round Jelani Jenkins (OLB, Florida)
    In their 7th round picks go for another corner and another guard

2. steve earle says:

Now that were out, the draft possabilitys are really heating up. No idea how it will shake out but love all the speculations. Now a question. Are we due any comp picks? I’ve read some say a 4th and a 5th.
    I’m still thinking we need another cb even if Talib is resigned. A good one, I like Rhodes. He has the size to disrupt wr routes off the line, willing to come up against the run and could likely play some safty if needed.
    I would really like us to get a dt early, someone who can get right into a rotation with Wolfolk and Love, collaps the pocket/ stuff the run kind of guy or force the gap and penatrate type, either one. If we do get one or two comp picks mid draft a guy that interests me is Brandon Williams a ng out of Missu. So. St. a Div 2 school. Check this guy out fans. I’m thinking a couple dt’s this draft. Wishful thinking?
    I still feel O-line is strong but adding a developmental project later is okay, not a high priority right now but if someone like Chris Faulk, LSU should fall to us at 61 could we pass? I’m torn here in my thinking. I’d feel the same if someone like wr Wheaton was available at 61. There are just so many possabilitys coming up, impossable to predict but gerat fun.

• russell easterbrooks says:

The Patriots will NOT get any Comp. picks, because they signed Lloyd a free agent, and some others making it a talent wash (even win loss).

Glad my question of comp picks is cleared up, that’s too bad though not really unexpected. That only leaves a trade down or player trade to increase our number of picks. I look on a trade down as a double edged sword. History shows picks taken after the 2nd round have only 20% sucess rate with Pats while 1st or 2nd rounders have about 50% sucess rate. Still by what I read this draft has good depth but BB will still be challanged to get the good ones the deeper the picks go.

3. Sergio says:

This offseason, first resign Welker, Vollmer, Edelman and Talib. In free agency, go strong after Greg Jennings. In the draft, pick a DL (Margus Hunt if possible) and an IOL (Alvin Bailey); trade the rest of picks.

4. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Bacause of the personnel moves in the past two years, we only have five picks in the draft. (1st,2d,3d, and two 7ths) Given this lack of selections, its fair to believe Bill Belicheck will make some transactions to gain extra picks, to insure he gets the players he wants.
    I think he will trade the 1st OR 2nd pick to make this happen.
    There is also the possiblity that QB Ryan Mallett, is traded for picks, and NOT trading our draft picks, THO I think Bill moves some picks anyway.
    After the Champainship game we saw our lack of depth/highth at S and CB.

Russell is right on observing our def backfield weakness has again left us out. I also believe BB will somehow get more picks. One scenario I read and liked was sign Matt Cassel as the qb backup and trade Mallett for a couple mid rounders. This could work and even allow for trade ups if wanted by Bill. Lots of flexability in there. A good draft and one or two free agents from outside and we’re ready to roll.

5. Nick says:

I am hoping they get Ryan Swope/Tavon Austin, let Welker go, resign Vollmer and Talib, and draft Margus Hunt.

6. PatsFan says:

Marquess Wilson anyone?

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Marquss Wilson has great size, BUT had personal issues , and ripped the coaching staff, as he left the team. Scouting reports says drops, does not use hands well ???????

Not at all high on Matquss Wilson. If a wr must be taken I’d prefur Markus Wheaton. But really why let Welker go? He makes more plays then any other Pat other then Brady. Margus Hunt would be good but will he be there?

7. Nick says:

Ryan Swope would be a great pickup.

8. Russell Easterbrooks says:

I’m not sure about DT, there is a need, but not sure it’s as high as LB depth, if one of the starting three go down wih injury. Second I think the Pats look for a future starter at OG , who can play right-a-way if there is an injury. We have OK back-ups, but a guy who could be a starter for 8-10 years. Mankins is starting his 9th year, and Connolly is starting his 8th year, and both misses time this year.
    So I think , DE/LB John Simon is a help in the pass rush, like Ninkovich, and can play any of the three LB spots, with alittle work. His pass coverage needs work , but his stopping the run is top notch. He is a film and work-out room guy, with a VERY high motor.
    Another guy I like, the Pats have scouted is SS/LB Devonte Holloman. At 6’2″ 238, runs a 4.61 40, is a soild run stopper, good tackler, moves very well, and reads plays very well. Is good in pass coverage on TE’s, has troule with faster RB’s. I think could be a force at SS, and back-up at OLB if the Pats have an injury.
    For OG it depends where the Pats choose to pick in the draft. Higher picks OG Cooper (most likely gone) OG/T Bain Winters, OG Alvi Bailey (jr). This is the hardest pick, but I like in the 3rd Matt Summers-Garvin. He had a knee issue, but has come back strong. If you watch his tape he pancakes/stays on many of his blocks, and has a Logan Mankins “mean “streak.
    Lastly WR/Slot guy, I like Conner Vernon late (5TH-6th) if the Pats trade for some choices. Ryan Swope at 3d or 4th.

• Alex says:

We have 3 top quality run stopping linebackers. With Dane Fletcher, probably being resigned we have a good coverage linebacker, if we go for another one it will either be a coverage/special teams guy late, or a pass rusher like Dion Jordan.
      Whereas DT a top notch player would be a starter, and greatly improve our rotation to aid keeping our guys fresh through games, and if Wilfork gets injured, that would be a huge weakness for us.
      We have a great group of O-lineman, as long as we resign Vollmer, and given that although Cannon has been serviceable at RT, I wouldn’t want him there for a season if Vollmer or Solder went out with injury, I think a swing tackle prospect in the mid rounds is more likely than a guard.
      Then I think we need youth and depth at the receiver position, and I would take a guy early-mid and another late as well.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I agree DT would be great area to get a guy, but IF Bill trades back out of the 1st , he may not be able to get one. Sharrif Floyd looks like a great fit , but I think he’s gone by 24 in the 1st round.
        If Mayo or one of the other two LBers is out for the year , we would need help. Ninkovich would have to move back.

Alex has rightly identified our key weakness is on the def side and so is where our draft should be focused. That said I could understand if some highly regarded prospect should slide down to us and BB grabbed him.

• russell easterbrooks says:

Pats just signed Armond Armand DT/DE 6’5″ 300lbs. Looking less likely to take a DT in the draft, BUT……………..

So we signed an undrafted fa DT fom the CFL. How does that realisticly effect our draft. If this guy wasn’t good enough to get drafted last year by any NFL team, why is he important this year? Makes no sense.

9. Jim Keddy says:

I don’t agree with any of you who want to trade down. This
    team has a good nucleus of players. If they can re-sign key players like Welker, Vollmer and Talib, they are set for next year.

They only need a few quality players from the draft. The higher these players are drafted, the better the player. Any shortfall
    in draft picks can be made up by signing high end undrafted players. They tried this approach this year and ended up with Bolden, Forston, Francis, and Zusevics.

• acm says:

Agreed. Plus, Brady has 4-5 years left in him and the team needs to get the max out of that. No time to wait on players to develop for years on end. Need to get as many big talent players as possible out of the draft, asap.
      Would try to take care of the secondary in free agency as drafting for it outside of the first 20 picks seems to be a crap-shoot, anyway and would go for DL, OL, LB or WR in the dradft.
      I would not trade down for anything outside the top 3 rounds and would try to maximize the picks in that range via a trade of Mallet or picks from next year.

Really like the thinking here. I lean strongly this way but realize BB has his way of doing it. Last year, trading up, really paid off so I’m hoping for at least some of that again. Problem is we are short of trade material.

Though again fixing the def backifield via free agents is also a crap shoot. Pick your poisen.

10. Russell Easterbrooks says:

I think DE/LB John Simon is sure pick by the Pats, in the 2nd round, 3d will be to late.

• Nick says:

Any idea when Margus Hunt is expected to be off the board? It would be amazing if the pats got a guy like him. Jones, Hunt, Love, and Wilfork would be awesome.

11. kevin says:

I can really see trading the 1 for a one next year and 3 or second this year . O line depth is really important for going forward if the right player is there at the end of the first I can see us keeping the pick if vaccaro is there we will take him or barrett Jones with our second we should take margus hunt with the rest of the draft take a big wide out to try and develop him in system with no expectations to be the man right away

Can’t see vacarro getting to us in even the 1st rd and question Jones in the 2nd being there. Hunt could be a possability at 29 but again would be gone by 61. So unless BB trades back for a high 2nd pluss more your wish list seems unlikely.

12. JMayo_51 says:

Sharrif Floyd’s versatility, athelicism and motor will certainly appeal to Belichick, but he might be just “underweight” with regard to BB’s standard at the position to warrant a first round pick.
    On the other hand, Kawann Short certainly fits the height-weight-speed mold and he has played all over the line in a program known for producing good DL. But I’m concerned about his inconsistent motor, which I don’t think is something that can be coached up.
    Ohio State’s’John Simons reminds me so much of Rob Ninkovith in terms of measurables. If Mike Vrabel has positive things to say about him, I won’t be surprised if Belichick and Caserio pick him in mid rounds.
    Overall it will be fascinating to see how Belichick adresses the DL in the draft. They are certainly a number of interesting options in the early rounds, but history tells us Belichick takes the best player available on his board. In the end I guess it will come down to the right DL players still being there at the right time.

13. Russell Easterbrooks says:

This is a wll though out draft, nice job. I to believe Pats trade to get picks. However I think tradeing the 1st pick is more likely, to a mid-round team (Dallas, Bears) for a 2nd, 4th, and 4th and 5th next year. I also think DE/LB John Simon is a player the Pats want, but think Pats must get him early 2nd. WR Ryan Swope is a great choice, and another WR to watch later in he draft (4-5TH) is Conner Vernon.
    Both of your 7th picks will be gone however. Maybe T/TE Reid Fragel?, CB Darius Slay? I also think Pats go with an OG with thier first of two 2nd round picks, OG/T Brain Winters, or OG Alvin Bailey. Pats WANT a OG to replace Mankins (starting 9th year) and or Connolly (starting 8th year). WE have good back-ups , but not a 7-8 year starter.
    This maybe a suprise to many, BUT thier 3d round pick looks more like SS/LB DeVonte Holloman. Great size, at 6’2″ 238, soild run stopper, big wing span, good in coverage TE’s, crossing routes, runs a fair time 4.6 -40, and reads plays very well!
    Adding a future starter to th Oline is important, depth at LB, and a WR, are next to continued success. Other players the Pats like are; LB Jake Knott, CB, Ron Sweeting, WR, Quinton Patton, OG/C Travis Frederick, CB,Brandon McGee.

I really question Hollorman, he’s a tweener. not enough speed for safty or size for lb to be taken with 93. Be fine if taken with a 5th or 6th if we should get one of those.
      I have not given up on Cannon as apparently others have and Zusevics hasn’t even gotten on the pratice field and is being written off here. The O-line is not nearly the problem that is the D baclfield or D-line is. Look at the bigger picture Russell, I think you will see my point.

• russell easterbrooks says:

Holloman could fall in the draft because he is a tweener, but the size, he would bring to a safty in the run game would be great. This guy is a sleeper, and I hope Bill gives him a chance.

14. td says:

The problem with bringing in WR’s is that our offense is not about running the route tree. It’s about reading the defense and running the right route that TB is expecting. Many have tried and not made it, including Oucho.

15. Phil says:

Big fan of Joe Vellano and Ryan Swope. Solid draft.