9. Stevan Ridley continued to get the majority of the carries and looks good doing it. Although Shane Vereen maybe more explosive numbers wise, Ridley looks faster and more explosive with the ball in his hands. The Patriots even went to an I-Formation at times today and had FB Spencer Larsen was lead blocking for Ridley. (Larsen then dropped the check down pass). Shane Vereen didn’t go unnoticed today. His highlight came when he beat Steve Gregory on some sort of double move/wheel route out of the backfield. The play would have gone for a touchdown, if it were in a game situation.
10. The offensive line is still a patch work line with three potential starters sitting out practice. (Logan Mankins and Sebastian Vollmer were out there working out in shorts away from the team, which is a good sign). When Tom Brady was under center Nate Solder was the left tackle, Dan Connolly at left guard, Dan Koppen at center, Robert Gallery at left guard and Marcus Cannon was at RT. Yesterday Ryan Wendell ran with the first team, but Gallery replaced him today.
11. It’s tough to gather much from the defensive line today since they practiced at the other end of the field most of the time. One guy I did try to get a glimpse of was Jermaine Cunningham. He was a full participant and was used manly in a stand up position. He worked on his drops into coverage which, could be a sign the team views him as an OLB (which he is listed as on the roster).
12. One thing that is evident through two days of practice is that the offense is going to be using screen passes more than they did last few years. During Charlie Weis’ regime as offensive coordinator the team was one of the best in the league at successful screen passes, but got away from it under Bill O’Brien. The offense worked at length on running screen passes today and all four running backs got the opportunity to catch the ball. UDFA rookie Brandon Bolden looks pretty natural catching the ball, although he has one drop today.
13. Julian Edelman continues to look explosive as a WR. Both Brady and Mallett completed long passes to Edelman, that would have gone for touchdowns in games. It makes me wonder why he hasn’t had more of an impact in game situations as a receiver.
14. Jake Bequette got a chance in 11 on 11 drills to rush the passer. On first impression he looks like a powerful kid. He was able to get underneath the OT and bull rush him back into the QB.
15. The Patriots made one roster move today. They signed OT Darrion Weems, who was an undrafted free agent out of the University of Oregon. Weems is a 6’5″ 318 pound tackle, who battled injuries in college and was unable to compete at the combine. With the addition of Weems the Patriots roster stands at 89. One open spot remains.