The Patriots Re-Sign WR Jabar Gaffney

Jabar Gaffney is returning to the New England Patriots

NEPD Editor: Mike Loyko

Earlier this off-season the Patriots brought back one of Tom Brady’s favorite receivers from the historic 2007 season in Donte Stallworth. On Wednesday they reunited Brady with another one of his all-tine favorite receiving targets by agreeing to a two-year deal with WR Jabar Gaffney who last played for the Patriots during the 2008 season.

Jabar Gaffney was released by the Washington Redskins yesterday and it didn’t take him long to find a new home. On Tuesday he agreed to a two year deal with the New England Patriots re-uniting him with QB Tom Brady.

Gaffney is coming off a career season with the Washington Redskins. He caught a career high 68 passes for 947 yards and 5 touchdowns. It was Gaffney’s lone season in Washington. During the previous two seasons Gaffney played for the Denver Broncos whose head coach at the time is current New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. When McDaniels was hired as head coach in Denver he brought Gaffney in to provide a reliable veteran presences at wide receiver.

Gaffney last played for the New England Patriots during the 2008 season. In his three seasons with the Patriots Gaffney posted 85 recpetions for 1059 yards and 8 touchdowns. His most memorable reception probably came vs. the Baltimore Ravens during the 2007 season. The catch came late in the 4th quarter and keep the Patriots undefeated season alive at the time. Over the course of his time in New England, Gaffney became a favorite of QB Tom Brady as he provided a very reliable #3 possession receiver. The Patriots have struggled to find a replacement for the type of production he provided from the #3-4 wide receiver spot.

Gaffney is the latest free agent signing to join the Patriots roster this off-season. Donte Stallworth, Brandon Lloyd and Anthony Gonzalez all have signed free agent deals in New England since the free agent signing period begain in March.

By adding Gaffney to an already deep position, the competition for roster spots in camp will be fierce. As of this time I would consider Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd and Jabar Gaffney the favorites and near locks to make the roster. That would leave Deion Branch, Donte Stallworth, Anthony Gonzalez, Chad Ochocinco and Julian Edelman to fight it out for 2-3 spots.

Tags: Free Agent Signing, jabar gaffney

27 Responses to “The Patriots Re-Sign WR Jabar Gaffney”

1. chuck says:

IF LLOYD AND GAFFNEY OR EBERT, 4.3 COMBINE, CAN STRETCH THE OUTSIDE.THE DEFENDING LINEBACKERS BETTER BE ABLE TO DROP AND COVER..OR GRONK AND HERNANDEZ WILL GET THE BALL.. IF ANY SAFETY COMES UP TO DEFEND, BRADY IS GOING TO HAVE A HEY DAY… THE MATCH UPS ARE GOING TO BE DIFFICULT. THERE WILL BE ALLOT OF MAN COVER BY THE OPPONENT AND THE BEST RECEIVER THAT”S ONE STEP OPEN WILL GET THE BALL… ALSO THIS IS GOING TO OPEN UP THE RUNNING GAME .. I CANT WAIT TO SEE THIS….

2. DWE2012 says:

BB putting alot of egg’s in the WR basket……
    If one doesn’t work out…..if two do not work out……OR if even three do not work out, he’ll still have his bag of leftovers to fill possition’s on the roster pretaining to that spot/need.

Gaffney I believe is actually a good stable factor added back in. GOOD MOVE regarding him.
    Stallworth IMO is unfortunetly a J-O-K-E and shouldn’t be in a PATRIOT uniform regarding killing a guy after a night out after Da’Club in his Roll’s Royce……Hopefully he DOES NOT make the cut. I’d rather see any other vet or a Rookie given a roster slot than Stallworth”less”.

3. Bud says:

Also, I think the Pats are all in this year, and Welker genuinely wants to remain part of this organization, so very little chance they move him.

4. Bud says:

So, Bill being Bill, can he get any draft picks for the receivers he would cut anyway? The obvious one is Ochocinco, since we haven’t recouped the 6th rounder he cost us this year. Would anyone give up a 6th or 7th rounder for Ochocinco’s contract? I can imagine preseason games where the offensive game plan is to show off Ocho, Gonzales, and Stallworth just to get some late-round 2013 picks for them. Ocho is the one we “know” doesn’t get the system, but then, everyone else knows it too, so would any of them trade rather than just waiting for the waiver wires? Maybe someone who needs a #2 receiver, runs a simple offense, and wants Ocho there for their entire training camp?

5. TD says:

Gonna need a few more QB’s to throw to all those WR’s at camp!

Only a few are signed for more than this year though-Lloyd & Gaffney? I believe all rest are 1 year deals.

IMO, Welker plays this year at a minimum.

6. munchkin says:

So it appears that the Pats have firmly set their perameters for Welker’s contract. He and his aent now have to decide if he wants to play for the long term deal they are offering, play one season for the tag number or agree to a sign and trade. The Gaffney signing is the team going about its businessin setting itself up for the coming season. They wouldn’t be as good without Welker but the roster depth and talent level would allow them to produce at a high level without him. The ball is firmly in Welker’s court.

7. DJ says:

Gaffney coming back is a nice addition. I see Lloyd, Slater, Edleman, and Gaffney as sure things. Welker ? Does he hold out ? Does he bad mouth the pats in the press ? Or does he take the best offer they give him and come in and work hard ? I say the later. So, now we have 5 making it. Ocho, Branch, Stallworth, Gonzalez, Underwood, and Ebert fight it out for 2 spots. I think the last 2 go to the pactice squad. This is going to be one terrific battle to watch in training camp.

• DJ (different one) says:

Damn, another DJ posting here. Oh well.

Minor point: of the guys you mention, only Ebert is eligible for the practice squad. Others have played (way) too much. Do think Ebert lands on the practice squad.

It would be tough to cut Edelman after asking him to play defense rather than focusing on receiver last year. Also I think people underestimate his ability at PR — check the stats. (Btw, I don’t know why BB thinks Wes is a good “safe” PR, he’s dropped several!) So agree with you that Edelman is likely to stick. Slater is a sure thing as special teams captain with new contract, though he’s only nominally a WR. Welker will be here in 2012, the question comes after this year.

I’m predicting 2 more WR slots over which Gaffney, Branch, Ocho, Stallworth, and Gonzo are the real contenders. With 3 TEs on the roster, the Gronk/Hernandez combo playing most downs, and a likely addition at RB, I don’t see how there’s room for more WRs.

Ultimately my bet is on Gaffney and Branch, though I’m not sure Branch has enough left in the tank. Assuming no big Ocho turn-around, think I’d prefer the winner of a Gonzo vs Stallworth battle.

8. Justin says:

I think Welker, Lloyd, Gaffney, Slater, Edelman, and Ocho make the team. I still feel we should have signed Dwight Jones from UNC. He is a big target at 6’4 and has good hands with decent route running. Would have helped us a lot by taking pressure off Welker and even Gronk and Hernandez

• Nuf Ced says:

I don’t understand how… yes he has 4.55 speed but has never translated to the field. BB must have liked Ebert more than Jones to pass on him in the 7th.

Jones is undrafted free agent body catcher w/ a cocky attitude and questionable work ethic. He was suspended for the Independence Bowl, terrible in the Senior Bowl, was taken to task by coaches at the Combine for disobeying instructions and a lack of hustle and to top it all off has ONE scout show up for his personal pro day (personal because he was banned from UNC)

I will agree to disagree

9. Matt says:

Don’t forget Vereen can catch really really really well. Fells can catch too

10. Dan says:

Gaffney…one of the great losses this team has had to deal with…not talked about enough…he was the ideal receiver for us for a few years. Not a #1, but a professional who made most of the catches…very good years here. I hope he has something left, and it seems he does with what he did last year with that lousy team in Washington.

11. Dan says:

I’m sticking with my out-on-a-limb prediction that Welker won’t be back.
    Ocho, Stallworth & Gonzalez are long-shots…Branch & Edelman are on thin ice and have to perform.
    I say Ebert makes the team straight out.
    Great drama…should be very interesting to watch play-out.

• Matt says:

I think Welker is gonna get traded too

• Nuf Ced says:

we could be seeing Deion Branch Part 2 – unless Wes’ contact demands start to align more w/ the front office

• Dan says:

I would say this…the odds are looking like he’ll have to sign that tender, and I’m thinking he just won’t do it till late, but I think it will be close. I don’t think the Pats are bringing in guys just to scare him and increase their leverage; I honestly think they are simply hedging against him not being here…either hold out or trade. They aren’t going to let him set them back, as great a player as he has been & is. I just don’t see them handing a slot receiver 20 million guaranteed money…not at 34 and having a knee….that’s 3 strikes against him; and I’m not mentioning the “system” thing. Meaning, Edelman could catch 70 passes from the slot in this system. 120 is better, much better, but they have all the other options now…the two TE’s in their prime, Floyd, Gaffney…and whoever else. Not to mention that to keep the two TE’s they will need to lock them up and they will need that dough to do so. Now, you can’t be paying a slot receiver, and two TE’s big money…all 3 positions are low value positions, but they will be forced to pay Gronk & Hernandez because they are so young and extremely special players in this league.
        Just bad timing for Wes…I love the player and the guy…I’m a huge fan, but he should have held out before. I’m all for players holding out to make their dough…like Vince…great timing for him, but a position of great importance in that defense also.

• DJ (different one) says:

Now, you can’t be paying a slot receiver, and two TE’s big money

Right, that’s the medium-term reality (after this year). If we’re going to hang onto both TEs, we can’t overpay at WR. But that’s not an issue this year. So I only see a Welker trade if the Pats can get some return on it. Not sure there are that many teams who want to pay a small 30 year-old slot receiver, great as he is, that kind of money in the long term.

• qwerty says:

i agree. welker is just expending the leverage he has. i think he will eventually sign also. he is 31 and the patriots are likely only going to give him 3 year deal of around 8 million a year. i doubt welker could better the offer by much with another team. the other best wr’s in the nfl are being way over paid.

• John M. says:

Would any NFL team give the pats a high draft pick for Wes Welker?

• bags says:

Welker is aging, small, and suffered a serious injury already. I can’t see betting on him playing at a top level for more than two years. He and his agent have made it clear that they expect $12Mx5 years sort of contract, while the Pats seem to be more in the $8Mx3 year sort of deal range.

The Pats have loaded up, and won’t miss Welker much or at all if he is dealt. It could come down to Branch situation w/ a trade for a 2nd and a 5th being the most we could expect back.

With Light’s and Welker’s money off the books we could chase a high end shut down CB or RB, or do some extensions. With a large contract for Welker signed you can say goodbye to AH or Gronk.

• John M. says:

If Welker won’t accept a 3yr 24million deal, the best move would be to trade him. I love having this guy on the team but you have to do what is smart. I highly doubt that Wes will have these great stats from another QB. We could definitely put that extra money to good use.

12. Ken W says:

Glad to see Gaffney back with the Pats. Always liked his game and was a very solid #3.

I have to agree that Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd and Jabar Gaffney will make it. Then I think Branch and Edelman would be the next two in line. Leaving Ocho, Stallworth, and Gonzalez fighting for one spot. I could also see the Pats just going with 5 WR because of Gronk, and Hernandez.

13. Tim says:

Belichick keeps all of them and invents super offense that renders wide receivers invisible to the opposing team. Brady’s stat line 80 td’s 6000 yards. Heard it here first.

• MilitStrat54 says:

6000 yards, 600 completions, 60 TDs, 6th trip to SB (not to mention a sixth sense at QB). I know what 666 represents but 6,666? What does that make Brady? We know he’s not a Saint and he gives the rest of the league hell.

14. psw says:

Let’s see, he already knows the system, Brady worked well with him in the past, and he was probably signed relatively cheap. He’s coming off a great year. I see a potential win here.

15. Nuf Ced says:

Yeah… we so needed to draft a WR high this year. I hated reading that in every comment leading up to the draft.

Seriously when including TEs at this point who has a deeper set of pass catchers than the Pats?? A high-mid round pick to develop would only have been cut.