2012 NFL Draft: Patriots Select Jeremy Ebert (WR, Northwestern)

Jeremy Ebert NFL Draft

Jeremy Ebert is the newest "Wes Welker clone" to join the Patriots.

NEPD Editor: Doug Kyed

With the 235th selection in the NFL Draft, the Patriots selected Northwestern WR Jeremy Ebert.

Ebert is highly productive slot receiver who everyone will inevitably compare to Wes Welker. Ebert caught 75 passes his senior year for 1060 yards and 11 touchdowns. He caught 62 for 953 his junior year with 8 touchdowns.

Ebert showed his speed at his pro day running a 4.38 40 time, with a 4.15 short shuttle and 6.70 3 cone. All of those times are extremely solid for a WR. Ebert is 5’11 200 pounds. If you were looking for a return man, Ebert isn’t that. He only returned five kickoffs for 88 yards during his career.

Before anyone overreacts, I wouldn’t consider this a sign for anything about Welker, Edelman or Anthony Gonzalez. Ebert is just a fast, shifty slot guy who can contribute on special teams and adds depth to the WR core.

Tags: 2012 NFL Draft, Jeremy Ebert, Northwestern, wide receiver

19 Responses to “2012 NFL Draft: Patriots Select Jeremy Ebert (WR, Northwestern)”

1. Yes but his wife will never look as hot as Wes Welker’s wife so you cant compare ;)

2. Matt says:

Why can’t we once in a while go after a guy like (“like”) Greg Childs. Childs was 6’3″ and could run all of the basic routes that NE likes to run. Bobby Petrino’s offense is a decent preparation (better than a lot of others) for what NE runs. I realize Childs was bad last year (most players are bad their first year back from a “major” knee injury), but it seems we hate wide receivers that are not 6’1″ or shorter. He was a top 10 talent (for this rookie class) going into 2010 and played well until his season ending injury.

Imagine what it might be like if Brady could just throw jump balls to an outside receiver that could actually go up and snag a ball…

• psw says:

Haven’t we suffered through enough failed, “waiting for the injury to heal guys” and just get some one who can contribute now.

3. Chris says:

Now I can have a patriots jersey with my last name on it xD

4. Joe says:

Have watched Jeremy Ebert since he was in the 6th grade. Every time he came up against a challenge perceived greater than his ability he always surpassed expectations. Not superior in measurables he is an extreme smart athlete, understands coverages, etc., has great heart, high motor, humble, great family/high character guy. The later means he will be watching film of football not hooters and will come prepared to play. I won’t be so bold to claim he will make anyone forget Wes Welker but if given the time and chance he can play and help the Patriots.

5. Liam says:

Nice pick up for the 7th. Any chance of teaching him to return kicks? Kid seems likes he’s built for it.

6. Dan says:

On the Eagles trade thing…I would bet the league (commish) asked these guys to knock that off. I think that it gives off a bad vibe that this isn’t so serious…that teams can clown around when they should be doing everything to improve their teams; instead of flipping picks etc…

Now that the draft is on primetime, and being marketed as such, it’s not such a great idea…looked bad.

7. Dan says:

OK, I know Welker will most likely be back; BUT(!), I believe they were about 5 million apart before free agency…in guaranteed money, and after the crazy money was spread around to a bunch of WR’s inferior to Welker I say they are now about 10 million apart.

That’s a lot of money…Welker has leverage, and the Pats are bringing in players just in case…make no mistake about this.

I do not believe the Pats are going to pay him big money…they will NOT pay him for past production. He’s older, he’s had a knee, he’s a slot receiver in a Brady offense, he’s amazing, clutch etc…But, the Pats have a price and so does Welker, and they are not close.

That’s my take…I say he’ll be back, but I won’t be shocked if he holds out and loses, or is moved.

• MilitStrat54 says:

Does anyone know what recourse Welker will have against his agent when he fully comes to the realization that football is not a game but a business? We love you Wes but you’ve got to have noticed that the Pats have a motto. It’s my way or the highway. Your choices are to accept the franchise tag year after year until you’re not worth it (no money guaranteed so you take on all the risk) or take 8 million a year for 3 to 4 years with half of it guaranteed. Would set you up for life. Risking a guaranteed 12 to 16 million because you want 6 or 8 million more seems foolish. If I were you I’d drop my agent to save the 10% which in effect gives you an additional 2.4 to 3.2 million dollar raise beyond the 24 to 32million a year the Pats are offering.

• MilitStrat54 says:

Does anyone know what recourse Welker will have against his agent when he fully comes to the realization that football is not a game but a business? None? We love you Wes but you’ve got to have noticed that the Pats have a motto. It’s our way or the highway. It seems to me your choices are to accept the franchise tag year after year until you’re not worth it (no money guaranteed so you take on all the risk, with an injury you’re screwed) or take $8M a year for 3 to 4 years with half of it guaranteed. Would set you up for life. Risking a guaranteed $12-16M on a $24-32M contract because you want 6 or 8 million more seems like a foolish bet to make. In essence you’re risking a really secure life with the possible payoff of being a bit more secured (franchise money vs $8M offered) or zero security (if an injury occurs). Its not my call but If I were in similar shoes and the idea of leaving money on the table haunted me, I’d consider dropping my agent to save 10% which in effect gives an additional $2.4-3.2M raise beyond the $24-32M the Pats are offering. Bet your agent won’t even present this option to you. …and if things work out for the worst between the Pats and your agent, no big deal for your agent he’s got other players to support him while this is the only opportunity you’ve got. Like Raiders of the Lost Ark…choose wisely. Key is go for the security first.
      Consider a trick of the trade … Don’t know if the Pats would accept this but if you structure your guaranteed money properly, over four years vice the normal two, after two years you’ll still be owed $8M so from an accounting stand point you’ll look relatively inexpensive to the Pats because they will have to pay you $4M per year which is guaranteed so they won’t be able to cut you to recoup the last $16M, only $8M. My bet, they’d rather have you as a receiver for $8M than a non producing expense at $4M. If they do cut you, you’ ll end up receiving the $8M for each of the first two years ($4M being guaranteed annually) plus $8M more guaranteed which will equate to playing two years for $24M or $12M year vice the anticipated $8M. That’s a bump of 50% just for restructuring properly basically guaranteeing the last two years of the contract. Disclaimer…This is just the concept please see a financial specialist before making your final decision. Again, love you Wes and congrats to you and your new bride.

8. Ronnie G says:

Good pick for a 7th rounder. Measurables are there. Not a big risk in the 7th round. You never know….

9. Jim R says:

Should of taken a flyer on Burfict

• Big Dan From Maine says:

Already took a flyer on some derelict

• Ralph says:

The analyst said that with Burfict the problem is that he sucks the life out of his teamates. you want to risk hundreds of millions of dollars in investments in players because of a guy that might get it one day?

• Dan says:

He sucks…he’s a bad football player…and he’s an ass, but he’s really just a bad football player