Nick Perry (DE/OLB, USC) Visiting New England Patriots

Nick Perry Patriots Draft

Nick Perry would certainly bring some athleticism to the edge. (Photo: US Presswire)

NEPD Editor: James Christensen

According to league insider Aaron Wilson, the New England Patriots will hold an official visit with former USC defensive end Nick Perry. Each NFL team is allowed to bring in 30 prospects for visits.

Perry (6’3″ / 271) would project as a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE in the Patriots scheme. He exhibited some elite athleticism at the combine, running a 4.5 forty with 35 bench press reps and a 38″ vertical.

Perry posted 13 tackles for a loss his junior year, including 8.5 sacks. He loves the speed rush, but also has some inside moves as well.

In order to thrive in New England, Perry will need to be more focused on the run. At times all he seemed to think about on the field was getting to the quarterback. While I’m sure the Patriots would love that on third down, Bill Belichick wants three or four down players in the first round.

If Perry is available at either the 27th or 31st pick, which is highly doubtful in my opinion, I’d look for Belichick to finally pull the trigger on a young pass-rushing OLB.

Read our full scouting report on Nick Perry for even more thoughts.

Tags: 2012 NFL Draft, Nick Perry, Official Visit

14 Responses to “Nick Perry (DE/OLB, USC) Visiting New England Patriots”

1. Sco508 says:

Well,
    The way i look at thing’s the only player’s with a true 1st rd. pick for Pats is (Ofcourse leaving out 1-5 Luck,RG3,Kahil,T.Rich, & “Maybe” Blackmon ) 1. Fletcher Cox 2. T. Kirkpatrick 3. Gordy Glen 4. M.Barron 5a. D.Still /5b. Josh Roberts

2. rdf63 says:

After watching Perry play this year, he looks more like a late 2nd round or 3rd round pick. He has ability and upside but looks more like a complementary OLB than a realy physical hard hitting type of player. I would have no problems taking him at 48 but no higher.

3. TD says:

a few years ago, USC had a bunch of LB’s associated w/Pat’s, but BB passed on all of them:
    Clay Matthews
    Maualuga
    Cushing

Problem with most USC LB’s is they play 4-3 and need to project DE’s out to LB’s, like Perry

4. Joe Blake says:

I want them to draft a thumper from the SEC on D…don’t much care if its DL, OLB or DB. Better yet, draft 2 in round 1..forget this trading down for next year’s #1 BS.

5. JV says:

USC guys….look like Tarzan play like Jane. I feel like there is some truth to this.

6. Dan says:

I’m starting to have this fear that they won’t even end up with a good player out of the four picks if people out there think Chandler Jones, Perry, etc…are worth a pick at the end of the first round.
    It’s caused me to look at some of these other players and I’m not so sure anyone is close to a sure thing; especially on defense.
    All I see are big reaches…some will hit, or contribute somewhere, but I’m not too sure who those players are at this point.
    So, I don’t think the Pats use either pick in the first, but no way they use 2, and I’ll be happy to see this happend.
    It’s just not a strong draft at all…maybe a good defensive back…there’s depth there, but the DE/OLB class stinks.

• AM says:

I wouldn’t go so far as to say “stinks,” but there aren’t a lot of natural options available. I would like to see them double up like they did the last two years at TE and RB–get an all-around OLB like McClellin and, if possible, a pure rusher like Mercilus. Also, more dynamic athleticism on the defensive line in the 3-4 could go a long way towards making the LB corps look better; Kendall Reyes or Brandon Thompson would do wonders.

7. Dan says:

I just watched the Youtube (again) of USC vs. Cal and he wasn’t so impressive. The kid looks like an athlete, but I’m not sure he’s worth a first round pick….maybe a gamble where their selecting.
    I did just go back and watch more Chandler Jones and I just don’t see that guy at all. He appears to be a goon to me…and his combine footage showed more of the same…almost uncoordinated. There’s no way he can gain wait and play DE/DT as someone said on NFL Network and there’s no way he is a 3-4 hybrid/OLB. He doesn’t have a 10th of the athleticism of an Aldon Smith, but he has the length.

I’m hoping they pass on both of these guys, but I’d prefer Perry over Jones.

8. Dan says:

Maybe this is the year that he backs off the demands on being a 3 down player. The importance is obviously higher after this past season where you had so many QB’s throwing for 4 & 5,000 yards. It’s now a necessity just like a place kicker…you NEED a pass rusher.
    Also, I believe he may have seen this with Anderson down the stretch and through the playoffs…that such a player is not such a bad thing.

9. NEtyson says:

Personally….i like something about his game and upside, the only problem is i dont think hes a 1st yr starter 4 are patriots….like the entry said, only got at
    he QB and theres not much tape of him against the run and that worrys me somewhat
    Then again im not BB and if we do grab him at 27 then im sure Bill sees everydown potental
    in him….as an OLB in our odd front he wont be asked 2 drop back 2 much and thats a good thing cuz he looks a little stiff when changing direction moving side 2 side…..if hes there late in the 1st im sure BB will take a long look at him and if he is one of are 1st rnd grabs then im just hoping he can set the edge…he doesnt have 2 b a great run stoppa…just a pass rushing OLB who can hold his own…and if so then ill like the pick…..only Bill B and time can tell

10. Jim R says:

Watch the tape of him Vs. Stanford from this year. Not impressive at all

• Mark says:

A possible Larry Bird head fake then? Evaluate him while hoping to bump his value just enough to keep their true target in within grasp.