NEPD Mailbag: Too Long For Twitter

@felimalipe
@DougKyedNEPD Polk will work out for Pats? Also has 1.56 10yd split.

I don’t think so, and I’ll tell you why in my RB Case Study hopefully coming this Monday.

@tyjax527
@DougKyedNEPD if you were BB, how would you run this draft? What trades would you make and players you would take. not asking for a mock from a scout/talent eval. but if you running pats, your scenario?

It’s tough to evaluate, but the most important thing for me would be to bulk up the front seven. The problem is, the best fits may be gone by 27. If Fletcher Cox, Michael Brockers, Devon Still, Dontari Poe, Melvin Ingram, Courtney Upshaw, Nick Perry or Dont’a Hightower are there at 27, I’d stay put and take them. If another one is available at 31, I take them too.

If not, I trade down into the second round. Cornerback and wide receiver are deep this year and I don’t think any safeties are worthy of a pick in the end of the first round, especially if Barron is gone.

I would be hoping that guys like Whitney Mercilus and Chandler Jones go in the first round, because if anything, that will further drop guys like Nick Perry or Dont’a Hightower or Courtney Upshaw. The more QBs, RBs, TEs, or strictly 4-3 DEs that go in the first round, the better.

It’s impossible to evaluate exactly how the draft will fall, but in a perfect scenario, I would hope to go: 27 DE, 31 OLB, 48 CB, 62 CB/S, 93 OL, 126 WR. If those first two picks don’t fall into place, then it allows the Patriots to trade down and then be able to pick up extra picks to take another LB, potentially a TE and a RB.

I wouldn’t be opposed to trading up for a DL, but I think they’ll be able to stay put for a pass rusher. One of Upshaw, Perry, Branch, Lewis or McClellin will be there in the first or second round.

@animedpet
@DougKyedNEPD @NEPatriotsDraft DE Chandler Jones getting play as 1st rnder for Pats by Mayock, PFW, McShay, Kiper. 6’5″270. Athletic>JPP. ??

His measurables may show up as more athletic than JPP, but it doesn’t show on tape. He’s stiff, upright and awkward when you watch him on tape. He has fine straight line speed, but he won’t be able to be used standing up and I think his best bet will be to gain weight and transition to a big 7-tech, 5-tech or even 3-tech.

I love his length, but he’s just not a natural looking athlete on the field. I see Jones as a giant project who will be severely overdrafted. I’d have a hard time taking him in the third round, let alone the first round. For being the brother of a UFC champ, I’d expect his hands to be more violent as well. He uses his hands for placement only.

There’s a lot to work with on Jones, and I don’t see him being successful in at least his first two years in the league. If he’s a first rounder, he could be a major bust.

@docvarmint
@DougKyedNEPD Thoughts on who could fit the bill as kick returner?

Brandon Boykin could be an exciting guy, he’s an extremely athletic corner who could fall because of injuries sustained at the Senior Bowl. Chris Owusu, despite his concussions, is another guy who was an extremely successful kick returner in the NCAA.

David Wilson, who the Pats are working out today was also a great kick returner his sophomore year, he could be very interesting in that role. A couple other names to look out for are TJ Graham, TY Hilton and Eric Page. Graham and Page are deeper options at WR, while Hilton could go in the 3rd or 4th round, but could be a major steal due to injuries.

Continue to Page: 1 2

Tags: Chandler Jones, Don'ta Hightower, Janoris Jenkins, Luke Kuechly, NEPD Mailbag

13 Responses to “NEPD Mailbag: Too Long For Twitter”

1. Dan says:

Hightower could be an easy pick if there…Spikes has had his issues with injuries, discipline for PEDs, videos etc…He’s shaping up to be a leader, but if Hightower is there I do think it will be tempting to bring him in and maybe move him, or others, around…compete etc…

2. Dan says:

I’m just taking a wait and see attitude on Jenkins. His story is tough…I know he’s a great corner, but I have no idea when he’ll be drafted.
    I’ll make a guess based on what I’ve read & heard the last few months, and say he slips to the 2nd where someone scoops him up with far less risk. I still don’t see the Pats taking that chance…I see them doing what they did with Dez Bryant and letting some other team take their spot if he’s there and the other team wants to move in like Dallas did.
    I’m not saying BB doesn’t take “problem players”, I’m just thinking it won’t be this kid with all the other talent (much cleaner talent) available; and I do believe this kid’s issues run a bit too deep…not worth adding such a potential major distraction with a team ready to make another run at the Super Bowl.

3. Dan says:

I would say they are working out RB Wilson to try and tease a trade up at 31 or maybe 27…by a team that was looking to grab him early in the 2nd. He’s a nice back…highly skilled, but fumbles and doesn’t block…I just don’t see us having real interest in him at all.

4. Tom says:

Plus, I bet JPP can do more back flips than Jones.

5. Noah says:

I have been seeing Brockers & Perry fall in a lot of mock drafts and have actually seen a few where the Pats could have (although didnt based on the analysts picks) drafted:
    1a. Michael Brockers
    1b. Nick Perry
    2a. Harrison Smith
    2b. Jared Crick

Um…. I think most Pats fans could die happy that day. 4 man front of Perry, Wilfork, Brockers, Crick or 3 man from of Brockers, Wilfork, Crick with Perry as an elephant OLB.

Any way these players are actually all available at those slots?

• AM says:

Other than Perry, I’d love this draft. Perry would be okay at that spot, but I’d prefer to see them go after McClellin or another more comprehensive linebacker. But I think that Brockers, Smith, and Crick are all possibly available at those spots (Brockers the most likely candidate to be gone).

6. MJP says:

Devon Wylie as a return man!!!!! I want this kid in mid-late rounds anyhow, rare change of direction and explosive ability, not to mention great speed.

• Dan says:

I would love this team to have an amazing return man, but the problem is he’ll have to be able to play a position; BB doesn’t seem to like specialist returners…they take up a roster spot.
      Rainey may be an option this year…he can add depth at RB, or wherever.

7. qwerty says:

Problem with judging CB’s is a lack of film in pass coverage. There may be a little but not enough for me to judge. Because so many teams run, there is so much less pass coverage film.

I have a bias towards bigger CBs because of this and because they appear to be better tacklers and rush defenders. More importantly, they could convert to safety position more easily so essentially more hybrid and better depth fit for patriots.

8. qwerty says:

BB always looks for those first round players who fell because of injuries. Third round and later is good place to roll the dice on.

9. Stephen says:

Ever since the East West Shrine game and the scouting report here I havent heard much about Adrian Hamilton DE Prarie View A&M kind of surprised since he had 20.5 sacks. Since he is from a small school could he be a late round sleeper developer like Markell Carter was last year or do you think he will go earlier in the middle rounds(4-5th). It seems like he has a motor but Is he smart instinctive like to study film in other words a BB type of player

10. Stephen says:

What are your impressions of WR Danny Coale I’ve read that he has great heart drive passion and has been productive just love those type of guys

11. Stephen says:

The Pats have looked at both David Wilson and Doug Martin. It seems like Wilson is more of a Shane Vreen type back and Martin a Ridley type RB. Who is more interesting Doug Martin with his overall abilities that includes pass blocking and not so much of a returner in the late first or David Wilson with his kick return abilities and not so much of a pass blocker in the mid to late 2nd.