Mike’s Patriots 2012 NFL Mock Draft: Version 3.0

2nd Round (62) – Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia
After addressing the front seven, with play-makers and athletes it’s time for the Patriots to do the same in the secondary. I made the point a few nights ago that I the Patriots are expected to upgrade their kick return through the draft. In the past we have seen them take WR, who could return kicks, but couldn’t make an impact on offense.

By drafting a player like Brandon Boykin the Patriots are getting a tough feisty corner. He can play outside CB and he can also move inside into the slot. Boykin is solid in man to man coverage, but also has the instincts and quickness to be a real good zone corner. The Patriots typically like their corners to play zone, but it’s imperative in my opinion to find DBs who can excel in man coverage. Boykin is competitive and won’t back down against top competition.

On top of his abilities on defense, Boykin is one of the top kick returners in the draft. In college Boykin, was one of the premier return man and constantly found ways to impact the game. A player like Boykin who can add depth to the roster at TWO positions of need, would be a huge get for the Patriots.

3rd Round (93) – AJ Jenkins, WR, Illinois

The Patriots and Bill Belichick have basically come out and said that they aren’t done upgrading the wide receiver position, so I expect them to take a WR at some point in the draft. This year the draft is so rich with WR talent that it doesn’t really make sense to draft a receiver high unless your getting one of the elite guys. At this point in the draft I expect their to be guys like Jenkins, Wright, Hilton, McNutt, etc. available.

I opted to go with Jenkins because he is a player who fits the mold of a player the Patriots usually target at WR. He ran a sub 4.4 forty unofficially at the combine and excelled in the 3 Cone and other agility drills. Jenkins is also right around 6′ tall, meaning he is the typical size of a Patriots WR draft pick. Jenkins can play the slot and line up outside. He is one of these players who can stretch the field vertically, but also create separation underneath with route running and change of speed.

There is no doubt the Patriots have upgraded the position in free agency, but they need to further strengthen the position with youth. Jenkins told me the Patriots have talked with him and have shown interest, so he’s on their radar.

4th Round (126) – Brandon Taylor, FS, LSU

Safety is a definite need for the Patriots entering the draft. They have signed Steve Gregory to a three year deal, so he figures to be in the rotation with Patrick Chung. But, aside from those two players the roster is pretty barren with reliable safeties. Theposition in this year’s draft is very thin at the top.

If they can’t get Mark Barron, and it looks like they won’t, then it makes sense to wait for the mid rounds, as there isn’t much separating the #2 safety on my board from #6. Taylor is a fit for the Patriots because he is a smart safety who I believe can rotate between FS and SS. He played primarily FS at LSU, which is more of a need for the Patriots. However, Taylor has the size and speed to play up in the box if need be. His tackling can be suspect, but he would be an upgrade over the Sergio Brown and Josh Barretts of the world.

The Patriots continue with the theme of drafting athletic, versatile and smart football players to the defense. Something that was sorely missing last year.

**The Patriots currently don’t own any pick after the 4th round. If you believe Bill Belichick will sit on the sidelines and not acquire at least two picks between rounds 5-7 by maneuvering around the draft board than you are crazy! Here is a pick for rounds 5-7 which is contingent on the Patriots acquiring the selection**

5th Round (N/A) – Tom Compton, OT, South Dakota
Compton is a raw yet athletic tackle. The Patriots like their tackles to be two things, big and athletic and Compton fits the criterea. It’s unlikely he could make an impact right away with the position depth the Pats have, but with a few years under offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia, Compton could turn into a good one.

6th Round (N/A) – Darius Fleming, OLB, Notre Dame
Fleming is an OLB, who the Patriots have worked out at least once throughout the draft process. He’s another undersized OLB compared to what the Patriots usually draft. At this point in the draft you can do worse than selecting a player who was productive for four seasons at Notre Dame. Fleming smart, tough kid and shows some potential to be a three down player.

7th Round (N/A) – Wes Chamblee, WR/KR, Wabash College(IN)
Chamblee’s name was mentioned by WEEI.com’s Christopher Price as someone the Patriots have worked out. This would be a typically Patriot late round draft pick, a player who is not well known but does one thing really well. Chamblee isn’t a well known player because he played division 3 football. But, he is a speedster who is one of the best kick and punt returners in the country. I mentioned earlier in the article about how I expect the Patriots to take a player who would upgrade the special teams, Chamblee does that. Despite taking Boykin in the second round the Patriots take a flyer in Chamblee who could push for Julian Edelman’s roster spot.

Continue to Page: 1 2

Tags: , , ,

27 Responses to “Mike’s Patriots 2012 NFL Mock Draft: Version 3.0”

1. Rick R. says:

1b. Michael Brockers
    2a. Alshon Jeffrey
    2b. Shea McClellin
    3. Harrison Smith
    4. David Molk

• Ken W says:

Jeffery, McClellin, and Smith would all have to fall quite a bit for that to happen.

I would be very happy if it turned out that way but might be a bit optimistic. I like how all the major needs are filled with some good talent though.

What about this:

1a. Stephon Gilmore CB
      1b. Michael Brockers DE
      2a. Shea McClellin OLB
      2b. Georgie Iloka S
      3. Marvin Jones WR
      4. David Molk or best C available

• AM says:

Love this draft, although I think Brockers will probably be gone by then. Iloka is a curious one, as he might go anywhere from mid-second to low fourth.

What about:

1a. Shea McClellin
        1b. Kendall Wright
        2a. Kendall Reyes
        2b. Harrison Smith
        3. Chase Minnifield
        4. Lucas Nix or best interior OL

Might be a bit rich for McClellin, but I have a feeling he could be gone to Green Bay at 28 otherwise.

• Ryan says:

Solid draft. I like Chase Minnfield a lot more than most. If we walked away with this draft I think our team would be dramatically better.

• Ken W says:

ok ok, what about this:

1a. Stephon Gilmore
          1b. Shea McCellin
          2a. Crick or Reyes
          2b. Georgie Iloka
          3. Marvin Jones
          4. Best interior OL, preferably C

Iloka is a curious one because he is a tall safety which causes him be be a little less smooth in transition from backpedal to sprint and a little tight in the hips, but I think he could be great. Student of the game, coachable, and could be the answer to covering those athletic TE’s that are catching on in the league.

• AM says:

I’d be quite happy with that draft, and I’d vote for Reyes over Crick (though either would be a great addition). I have trouble getting a read on Gilmore, but the consensus seems to be that he’s well worth a first-rounder.

• Jim R says:

Like the names on both of these. McCellin will be gone before 48 If they want him they might have to pick him at 27/31. I think whoever gets him is going to be lucky. Kid will be a player

3. 401patsfan says:

I’d Take Still over Worthy in a heartbeat. Or trade that sucker. Get a piece this yr & next.

• Ken W says:

Im with you on that one, Im also ok with Crick or Reyes in the 2nd if they don’t like the options they have of D-lineman in the 1st.

4. JimC says:

Nick Perry = Larry English. The Chargers thought they were getting a gem.

5. JimC says:

If Hightower is available at 27 take him. Put him in the middle with spikes and move Mayo to the weak side OLB position. the LB corp would be greatly improved up the middle.

The rest of these picks are reaches at their respected spots. Plus at #31 you never know who will drop back from the so-called top 32.

• Ryan says:

I think Hightower could play OLB, its not a common transition to outside linebacker. But he is awfully tall for an ILB, and would have better coverage out of the box than a DE. Personally, I doubt he makes it out of the teens to early twenties, but if he is there at 27 I’d take him all day.

6. Larry says:

None of your first three picks works formeat all.

7. AM says:

Jenkins and Taylor are nice picks, but all in all this would be a somewhat disappointing haul. Perry is a great athlete, but I doubt that he has the ability to play consistently in the Patriots’ multiple fronts. He would likely be a 4-3 DE only, which would be problematic given the team’s apparent inclination to move back towards a 3-4-leaning alignment.

In addition, there are likely to be better options than Worthy, Wagner, and Boykins available at those spots. It seems a little odd to suggest that the team would balk at taking Reyes in the first round because he was likely to play at under 300 pounds, but would be willing to completely blow up its physical prototype at OLB by selecting Wagner. It is worth mentioning that Tony Pauline’s article didn’t actually link the team and player in any meaningful way, other than to say a smaller linebacker who could cover was a need on the team’s draft board. I believe that the comment on the Patriots taking Wagner was “[i]t’s definitely not out of the question.” I would beg to differ, unless they think he can play safety as well.

8. TD says:

Since we have a big need on defense and the draft is deep in defensive players, that means only one thing–BB will take offensive players.

Seriously, any good DL’s & DB’s in rounds 1 & 2. Middle and late rounds any Def and/or Off players that can return kicks in order to improve our un-special teams.

9. Dan says:

I like AJ Jenkins, but not sure if he has the brains…seems like a slow kid, no offense, but I guess I just called him stupid…

10. glen says:

I got as far as Nick Perry at 27, there’s no way in hell he’ll be there.

11. Blackluck says:

I can’t see the Patriots taking Nick Perry with a 1st round pick. I don’t think he can play in space; he would be a situational pass rusher, and although that is a need I believe we would take a guard there before a pure edge rusher. I agree all the premier DT/DE will be gone by 27. There are a small number remaining in the late 1st early 2nd. I’m better we’ll end up trading both first round picks if we can. We’ll take someone for the DL, just do not know who at this point.

I do agree that we will see a coverage/athletic LB taken in the 2nd, and another DB in the 2nd as well. Also agree on a WR, there a handful of possibilities. My bet is on Greg Childs. I don’t think Brandon Taylor lasts to the 4th.

12. qwerty says:

Boykin is pathetic in his highlights. He is a munchkin and weak. Big receivers will roll right over him. He is Wilhite version 0.8. Won’t even be able to play safety. I’d rather have Slater as a CB.

After watching his highlights, Jenkins is also pathetic. Jenkins will be a bust in the NFL. He also is too small and lacks in talent. I’d rather have Slater as WR.

Wagner is way too undersized. There are always plenty of LB’s in deeper rounds

If Patriots pick these three, I will call this draft a disaster.

Patriots need to probably get one of the top 4 CB’s or maybe a versatile DB.

The ranking of the WR’s many draft boards have make no sense. It will be interesting on what order the WR go in the draft.

• Asap says:

Nick Perry? No way, he’s a workout guy. Worthy? Luke warm. Boykiin is ok, but he’s a def. third round guy in my eyes. I do like Wagner though.

• Dan says:

I’m not high on Boykin either…for all the reasons stated, and the Pats seemed to have learned from that model of cornerbacks. I feel they went for those smaller & quicker CB’s to deal with the Colts and the new rules, but it didn’t work and the league has gone large.

13. Bruschi54 says:

I think that Perry would be a solid addition, but not a big fan of Worthy. Saw MSU play several times this season and Worthy was hyped up in pre-game every time, but was non factor during the game. I like Wagner, he and Kendricks from Cal are great athletes that would really help the defense immediately. I think they go safety in 2 or 3 round.

• Big Dan From Maine says:

I agree, I now live in Michigan and married a MSU Grad. I saw every game MSU played in the last 2 years. Worthy is a part time player at best. THINK ALBERT HAYNSWORTH. MSU took him out on passing downs. He plays very lazy for most plays, and gets easily handled by 1 blocker. The Iowa and Wisconsin Lines handled him with ease. When he wants to make a play he can be awsome, but he also anticipates the snap count alot and gets alot of offsides penalties. Worthy haf BUST written all over him. I dont think BB will draft this guy. Let the Jets pick him and then we can rum all over him all game long.

*/ ?>