2012 NFL Mock Draft: Final Patriots Predictions

Chandler Jones NFL Draft

Will Chandler Jones even be on the board when the Patriots pick?

NEPD Editor: James Christensen

After fourteen long months scouting 2012 NFL Draft prospects, I’m narrowing the 300 or so draftable prospects down to just six guys that I think the Patriots will take a hard look at.

Click here for my full 2012 NFL Mock Draft.

27. Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse (Scouting Report)
31. Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall (Scouting Report)

The Patriots need some help at the DE/OLB position and I imagine that they will use one or more of their picks on the position, unless they choose to trade up or a valuable DT, WR, or CB falls.

If a team wants to trade back into the first round and is willing to give up some good picks, I’m sure Coach Belichick will be all ears.

Mike Mayock and Michael Lombardi said that Jones “is the best defensive player in the draft.” If that is the case, which I clearly don’t believe, there is no way that he is on the board for New England unless they trade up.

I do see how Jones could become the best defensive player in the draft, he certainly has the length and size to develop into a scary 3-4 or 4-3 DE. Right now, he just doesn’t have the production or tape to justify a top 15 selection.

Curry is kind of the opposite of Jones. He is all production and little sizzle. He can play 4-3 DE and could eventually transition to a 3-4 OLB with some work.

If the Patriots want a safe pass-rusher that isn’t a big liability against the run, Curry could be their guy.

48. Trumaine Johnson, CB/S, Montana (Scouting Report)
62. Lavonte David, LB, Nebraska (Scouting Report)
93. Ron Brooks, CB/S, LSU (Scouting Report)

Coverage was an issue on all three levels for the Patriots; short, intermediate and deep routes were all problems. Drafting three talented coverage players would bring a smile to Patriots fans and defensive coaches alike.

Johnson is a small-school corner that has the makeup of an ideal free safety to me. He has good instincts, can tackle and has the size/speed to compete in the NFL.

David is an undersized linebacker that could easily upgrade the position that Gary Guyton tried to fill over the last few years. As much as the Patriots are in sub-packages, he could see a lot of snaps as a rookie.

Brooks didn’t get a lot of media exposure at LSU due to Morris Claiborne and Tyrann Mathieu (rightly) hogging the spotlight. What you get with Brooks is a versatile player (slot, outside, safety) that has big-game experience and fantastic physical skills.

126. Greg Childs, WR, Arkanas (Scouting Report)

The Patriots have added a lot of depth to their receiving corps this off-season, adding Brandon Lloyd, Donte Stallworth and others. Still, adding a talented young receiver is never a bad thing to do.

Tags: 2012 NFL Draft, Chandler Jones, Lavonte David, Patriots Mock Draft, Trumaine Johnson, Vinny Curry

19 Responses to “2012 NFL Mock Draft: Final Patriots Predictions”

1. Joe Blake says:

Why all the interest in McCellin when he has had a history of concussions?

2. kdog says:

I would have thought Jonathan Martin (OT, Stanford) would go within the first 3 rounds. . .

3. DaveDan says:

I can’t say as I agree with your mock. Using past Pats history, I see an O-Line addition from late 2nd to 4th.

4. vb says:

James,

First of all, I enjoy reading your and other NEPD writters’ assessments on this site. I have learned a lot of good information in general about the draft. With that being said, I disagree with your picks at #27 and #31. I don’t think that Chandler Jones will be there at that point. Vinny Curry is a reach at #31. Just my opinion. I think that Patriots will pick only once in 1st round but I will not be surprised if they trade out of first round.

Once again, really good insight.

5. Justin says:

Instead of Chandler Jones I would rather see Shea McClellin, instead of Vinny Curry I would rather see Devon Still, and instead of Lavonte David I would rather see Bruce Irvin or Vinny Curry (who I think will still be available at that point in the draft). I actually like the Ron Brooks pick, surprisingly, and if not Brooks then Brandon Taylor. I think Trumaine Johnson and Greg Childs are excellent picks they will be difference makers on the team.

• Big Dan From Maine says:

I second the Shea McCellin idea, Im not a fan of the Devon Still pick. I would like to see Wolfe and or Jared Crick later on. Grab quality DB’s after the pass rushers in round 1.

I think our D line nees to mimick more of the Giants profile. So what if teams run on us a little.

6. Jim R says:

Typo on Childs he was one of Bobbys boys. I think he could be a sleeper in this draft. That was Mallets boy in Arkansas.
    I’m still on the Tim Fugger bandwagon. Lets get him

7. Bill says:

This Is as a good a mock as any. Who knows what sundays team will look like , but thee is talent around and the process is fun. At the end of the weekend if we get a DE, OLB, safety, and some players we can develop down the road, BB will be a hero. If we get 2 CB, a OG, and 2 picks next year, he’ll be a jerk.

Thanks for your site. It’s great fun, very interesting, and informative

8. Yesares says:

Like this mock, but I would change Chandler Jones for Shea McClellin and Ron Brooks for Derek Wolfe.

9. Blackluck says:

I like it. I doubt Jones is there, but still this upgrades all the areas of need on defense. Little worried that Johnson could be a bust but I”d be pleased if the draft fell something like this.

10. Dano S says:

I think the Pats trade their 2nd round pick #48 to Vikings for 3 #66 and
    4 #134 nd here is what Pats end up with.1 Shea McClellin 1 Janoris Jenkins 2 Vinny Curry 3 Brandon Thompson 3 Mitchell Schwartz
    4 Brian Quick 4 Markelle Martin. Thanks for Great web site and enjoy the Draft. I know that I will.

11. ralph says:

what about Dwight Jones, in the 3rd round.

12. qwerty says:

another mock draft bites the dust

• kdog says:

Seriously!

They are very hard to predict, but I don’t see them taking “raw materials” types of players in the first round (that’s why we have the 2nd and 3rd rounds). . . and I expect that they will be trying to get back to their traditional 3-4 defense. . .

That said, this draft is a bit of my worst nightmare, as my 2 dream guys are gone at 9 and 11. . . and most of the other players that are both 1st-round caliber and a fit are gone in the teens (at 10, 14, 17, 18 and 19). Still you have McClellin and Reyes available here in the 1st, and some bargain OLs (Massie, Allen) available in the 2nd and 3rd. If the board falls this way, I’d expect at least one trade-back, and probably a Husky joining our pack.

• its never easy watching the draft as a pats fan, seeing your favorite team pass over your favorite rookie, and watching them trade the pick that is used to select guys like Clay Matthews…cmon

• BILL says:

At the end of the 1st round, aren’t they all raw materials. Most of these guys are 21-22 year old red shirt juniors. Brockers is, what 20 years old, 66, 320#. How could he be anything but raw. Even Chandler, people are looking at his pedigree, and his frame to put on 20 more lbs. People who are really liking him for what he can be than what he is. Due diligence with the interview, background checks may be more important than ht/wt/speed stuff. How hard will you work; can you keep your weight under control; will you adjust to the speed of the pro game. Thats where its at.

• kdog says:

Just to clarify, I’m saying that Belichick in the 1st round leans heavily toward guys whose games fits into what we do, without re-inventing themselves. IMHO this is why we have not yet seen him take an OLB higher than the end of the 2nd: our OLBs do a variety of things that few college players are tasked with. Perhaps that will end this year if my dream comes true and we get Hightower, who is the rare player who has already shown he can do most if not all of the things we ask of our SOLB and has all the right measurables for our system (and is a smart, hard worker to boot).

So I agree it is about making the adjustment to the NFL game, but more specifically, it’s about adjusting to the game the way we play it.

The thing I have never seen from Belichick in the 1st (or even high in the 2nd, except maybe for the Chad Jackson fiasco) is the notion of, this guy’s physical make-up jumps off the charts, so even if we are starting from scratch let’s take him and mold him.

A rule of thumb I ask myself is, can this guy be ready to start in game 1 of this year? For the record, I think Brockers could start for us at RDE in our 3-4 set-up, even if his immediate impact is only to tie up blockers (and presumably the rest of his game would build from there).

But I certainly agree about the interview / character issue. This is why, IMHO, we will not take Janoris Jenkins before 62 at the earliest.

• Jim R says: