2012 NFL Draft: Patriots Select Jake Bequette (DE, Arkansas)

Jake Bequette NFL Draft

Jake Bequette is another pass rusher for the new-look Patriots defense.

NEPD Editor: James Christensen

With the 90th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots have selected Jake Bequette, former defensive end from Arkansas. The pick was acquired in a draft day trade with the Packers.

At 6’5″ and over 270 pounds, Bequette adds another level of power to the new look Patriots front seven, joining Chandler Jones and Dont’a Hightower.

Bequette is a two time captain and amassed 23.5 sacks throughout his career. Bequette is known as a smart, tough and coachable kid.

He played defensive end in the Razorbacks defense, but was asked to stand up and play OLB at the Senior Bowl without complaints. Bequette knows how to get after the quarterback and should make the Patriot fans feel better after the questionable Tavon Wilson pick.

Bequette will be able to stand up when the Patriots play the 3-4 and can put his hand in the dirt when in a four man front.

A four year starter for the Razorbacks, Bequette has been through the battles in the SEC. This past season he was able to record 10 sacks despite missing three games with injury.

Tags: 2012 NFL Draft, Jake Bequette

24 Responses to “2012 NFL Draft: Patriots Select Jake Bequette (DE, Arkansas)”

1. Pat Best says:

Pats Nation!!! First loving the Hightower pick. Bama fan Also.. Great draft for Pats fans… On Wilson pick; how good he is is still question. He’ll be coached great that’s a given. But we must admit DEFENSE is what we needed to address and that’s what we got. Both secondary and most of all pass rush. I love this Welker clone seen him play a lot. My brother loved Northwestern this year. -LAWLESS from the 808

2. Jeff M says:

Pretty clear with these picks that the Pats will be sticking with the 4-3 D this year I think. We don’t have enough DLs that can play a 3-4 and we took only DE/OLBs so I think we’ll be sticking to the 4-3 this year.

• Matt W says:

I beg to differ. Chandler Jones is projected as a DE/OLB and played both while at syracuse. Dont’a Hightower is a versatile LB who can play ILB and OLB in the 3-4 and rushed the passer a lot with Alabama from both positions. Bequette Is a DE/OLB as well, and his size is typical of an elephant rusher in the 3-4 and he too has played both positions. I think this draft proved the move back to a more base 3-4 defense with a lot of strength and versatility in the LB core after these 3 picks, which also gives you several players who can move around in sub-package defenses as well. and the beef of the line will center around Love, Wilfork, and possibly Fanene or another DT.

3. Tony D says:

Hahahahahaha! The Arkansas A-hole! Great call Felger.

4. Joey NL says:

Bequette seems a solid pick who could develop into a great rotational guy.

The Wilson pick is probably the biggest reach in the entire draft. Not a big fan of this pick.

5. Johal says:

Good developmental prospect that won’t get 10 sacks but can mature and give 4-5 on a yearly basis. Im excited about this pick and hopefully markel carter from last year gets a chance to get on the field this year. He seemed to have potential to rush after the qb as well.
    I was really mad at the wilson pick but no one knows anything about him. I like that he’s versatile and knowing bill, he probably has a plan behind this. I wish these kids well
    go pats

6. Joe Blake says:

Another pants tent pick by BB the FA…

7. Ratzalot says:

Solid pick. Not exciting, but pretty solid.

8. Brian says:

Coming from a big razorback fan, the pats got a hell of a good guy and a great football player in Jake.

9. Justin says:

Patriots need to trade someone to acquire more picks for Day 3. Juron Criner, Greg Childs, Marvin Jones, and Marvin McNutt are still on board they need to draft a young, explosive receiver, preferrably Criner or Childs. They also need a developmental OLineman. Tom Compton or Ryan Miller would be perfect. Both of them are powerful athletes with tons of potential.

• prime says:

i agree with u wr position is getting old i think that Juron Criner, Greg Childs, Marvin Jones, and Marvin McNutt would be grate

10. vb says:

The only pick I am worried about the pick 48 Tyvon Wilson. I had not heard of him much before this selection. I admit. I tried to find some tape online, but couldn’t get any. I can hope that BB has seen something in him that he took Wilson at 48.
    Also, I watched a little bit of tape of Baquet – he looked very fast from the edge. This training camp will be interesting. I think BB is going to enjoy it a lot more this year.

• Joe says:

I wish people would at least let the kid get on the field and see him play before bashing the pick. Everyone is spouting off all these names of kids that are supposedly better, based on what? Kiper? McShay? A magazine?

BB has made his mistakes in the draft, all GM’s do,but I give him the benefit of the doubt because he is also coaching these picks and knows what he wants them to do on the field.

I liked the other three picks, and it looks like the Pats may finally be able to get after the QB a bit if they pan out. If Dowling can stay on the field and D-Mac returns to form, this D could be stout.

• Jimmy says:

just wondering do you think having a pass rush will help mccourty? I sure as hell hope so, huy was a freak last year. Also do you know what happened to him this year?

• Matt W says:

having a pass rush will absolutely help the CB and S positions. You look at the production of top defenses in the league and they all have superb pass rushers and put a lot of pressure on the QB, even if they only get a few more sacks as a team. it’s the pressure that matters the most, giving the QB less time to find an open receiver

11. Ty says:

This does accually make me feel a bit better. Dudes an animal! The pats also accomplished picking up Alabama and Arkansas defencive team capatians, NICE! Will someone please explain the Wilson pick to me? Over Markell Martin, G. Illoka, T. Johnson, A. Dennard, J Hosley and B. Boykin??????

• Justin says:

Apparently he is a versatile player who can play safety or corner and he always plays on both special teams unit aside from that I am sure there is something BB saw in him because this was a headscratcher for me too. I loved the Jake Bequette pick though

• JMC says:

Illoka would have looked good, Boykin- also a KR, Reyes from Uconn went with the next pick, what about Vin Curry? They like the kid, great- They got another pick Saturday, get him there-

• Justin says:

I felt they should have drafted Devon Still at 48 when he was available. Either that or trade down. I think BB’s thinking at that time was he only had a limited amount of picks and Tavon Wilson was projected in the 5th-6th round so why not take him.. I think its a waste of a pick and it seemed like a desperate pick but lets see what this kid can do im sure BB saw something him in. Wilson is extremely versatile on defense and plays on both special teams units so thats what made BB go for him.

• Tony D says:

Why would a big slow safety (Iloka) look good? Morons!

• Jim says:

Well, got Dennard in the 7th. That might help.

12. @59russo59 says:

sounds like a good locker room guy. no complaints here. if 2 of these guys really pan out (by this i mean pro bowl beast players) i say this draft is a success

13. Dan says: