2012 NFL Draft Open Thread: Patriots Day Three Options

Marvin McNutt 2012 NFL Draft

Could this former QB be the Patriots next WR?

NEPD Editor: James Christensen

Day One and Day Two of the 2012 NFL Draft certainly didn’t disappoint if you were looking for some drama in the Patriots war room. Overall, I think the Patriots have put themselves in wonderful position for some added talent and depth on defense in 2012.

How many picks will they make on day three? What positions will they target? Will any Patriots players get traded? Discuss.

As for veterans that might be moved, I wouldn’t be surprised if a guy like Jermaine Cunningham gets shopped, although I’m not sure there would be much of a market. I think a quarterback would be the most likeliest guy to get traded, but again, the chances are probably slim.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Patriots make their only pick today in the fifth round. They seem to have addressed all their major needs either in free agency or in the first two days of the draft.

I see the Patriots taking the best available offensive lineman, wide receiver, or defensive back with the 163rd pick. Marvin McNutt (WR, Iowa), Joe Adams (WR, Arkansas), Lucas Nix (OL, Pittsburgh), Josh Norman (CB, Coastal Carolina) and Micah Pellerin (CB, Hampton) all could be around in that area.

What do you envision the Patriots doing on day three?

Tags: 2012 NFL Draft, Marvin McNutt

28 Responses to “2012 NFL Draft Open Thread: Patriots Day Three Options”

1. Big Dan From Maine says:

Nate Ebner, my top rated corner back. he was top rated on my board earlier in the year, but slipped down boards..

Seriously I have NO IDEA who the hell this is. Why do we do this with DBs that i dont even know if they ever played a game. Where is this guy even from?

2. Jim R says:

BB is at it again trade back,back,back. LMAO. I belive he does this for perverse entertainment.

3. Lipper says:

I love both 1st round picks, but not too sure with the most recent picks! BB had the chance to go out with a bang & select CB Jenkins or Johnson & also had the chance to nab WR Sanu or Toon! Could you imagine along with our 1st 2 picks! Every team around us & in our division got better! I know BB doesn’t draft superstars, he makes them, but love Chandler Jones, & Donta Hightower

4. Dano S says:

For Fifth round I like Safety’s George Iloka,Markelle Martin for running backs Daniel Herron,Cyrus Gray and Chris Rainey for Offensive Tackles
    Ndrew Datko,Brandon Mosley, for center David Mold and finally Guard
    Lucas Nix and Matt Reynolds.

5. doodlfrog says:

I wouldnt mind if they got Chris Rainey but i dought it with the way yesterday went.

6. Justin says:

If Juron Criner, Marvin Jones, or Greg Childs are available take either one of those three. I think Criner and Childs would be perfect fits. Also they need to make a trade to acquire more pics.. Brian Hoyer getting traded maybe? Who knows but they also do need an OLineman and maybe grab another DLineman. I think RB gets addressed after the draft with free agents.

7. psw says:

For all our secondary issues these past few years can we at least try to get a cb, Will Allen is not my idea of the solution. Brandon Boykin, Chase Minninfield, Alfonso Denard, Josh Norman, Coryell Judy, and Shaun Prater are all still available. Please get one of them.

8. paul says:

Offensive line is a future need and fits BB MO in late rounds. I wonder if with all the WR’s signed could they make trade for a 6 or 7 round? Ocho may make sense to go to a team like Carolina or Jaguars that could use WR help? I also wonder if Freeney trade is a possibility for next years picks but freeney would have to renogotiate for much less money!

9. Dano S says:

Too many great receivers and corners still left. Pats should trade future pick for a rourth round choice.

10. Jim says:

Streeter or Childs. Not sure if either of them are there in the 5th. How about the fastest WR left. Project player

11. Jim says:

Streeter or Childs. Not sure if either of them are there in the 5th. Ho

12. JMC says:

I think an O-Line or someone on the D-Line would be good-

13. AM says:

Nix or Adams would be great picks. If they go RB, Tauren Poole would be an excellent option, or Markus Zusevics at OT. Alternately, Leonard Johnson at CB, or Aaron Henry at S.

14. Eric says:

I want a big receiver or a big corner. No point in rooting for them to draft any particular player. Going to be hard to sit through 2 more rounds of watching players I wanted for them getting taken off the board.

• qwerty says:

exactly. would have been excellent time to draft tavon. fourth round and later players are a real reach anyway. so i won’t be watching the draft pick until their time comes.

• Justin says:

It would be nice if they drafted Juron Criner or Greg Childs. Im hoping for it but I think it will be highly unlikely that it happens

• MilitStrat54 says:

May sound strange but I don’t care who they draft (said for effect) as long as they get fair value for the draft points they expend and the individual(s) will make the team and fill a need. All that’s left then is to coach them up and develop chemistry and character.

15. Jon says:

What about taking say their 2013 3rd round pick (they have one, right?) and trying to acquire a 2012 4th and maybe a 6th or 7th? Personally I’d really like to see a young WR brought in who they can develop. Preferably one with return skills. From there I’d be open to an OL or another DB.

16. LaShermon says:

My boy Chris Rainey coming off the board to the pats today…need help in the return game also could be used as sproles type. Would love a wr over 6’2″ though for jump balls.

• Jon says:

I’d be on board for a WR over 6′.

• LaShermon says:

Over 6’2″…problem we had last year is when teams go man coverage and gronk wasn’t open Brady had to force throws. Get a big go up and get it guy and ittl be like having two gronks. I’d just love for the pats to be able to get vertical. Sick of the dink and dunk. Rainey, big guy or mcnutt I liked and streeter.

• AM says:

Was he the one who was stalking his ex-girlfriend, or was that someone else? Not trolling, just can’t recall if he had character issues.