NEPD Mailbag: Too Long For Twitter

Kendall Reyes NFL Draft (Photo: ICON SMI)

Why would the Patriots be taking Kendall Reyes over Devon Still?

NEPD Editor: Doug Kyed

How does Courtney Upshaw fit the Patriots? Could Matt Forte be a future Patriot? What are my thoughts on Chandler Jones?

Those are some of the questions I’ll be answering in my weekly “Too Long For Twitter” Friday mailbag where I take questions from Twitter that warrant, deserve or need answers longer than 140 characters

If you have a question about anything, tweet it to me @DougKyedNEPD, and I’ll try to include it in the column on Friday. If you aren’t on Twitter, feel free to throw in a question in the comments section.

@SKeefe1976
@DougKyedNEPD would u be happy if Patriots drafted McShay’s 2 round mock of C. Jones, K. Reyes, P. Konz & B. Taylor?

No, absolutely not. I think Chandler Jones is unbelievably overrated and other than size, doesn’t really fit the Patriots system either. I don’t think Jones would be able to stand up in a three man front, and I don’t see the anchor ability that Belichick covets from DEs. Jones has a lot of trouble with his pad level, and looks downright uncoordinated out on the field. He’s a player who currently gets by almost solely on his length. That’s not to mention that McShay has Nick Perry falling to the second round. If given the choice between Jones and Perry, it’s not even a question.

I like Kendall Reyes, and I wouldn’t hate taking him in the first round, but McShay has Devon Still falling to 46 to the Eagles… I can’t think of a single reason why the Patriots would take Reyes over Still. Perhaps positional versatility? It seems like the main problem here is that ESPN and McShay are assuming the Patriots will be in a 4-3 base next year, which I would bet against. The Pats run a hybrid defense and went back to the 3-4 base come playoff time. It’s also been said that the Patriots only ran the 4-3 base last season because of the lockout. Still is the much better, more dominant player and in my opinion, will be gone long before the Patriots pick at 27.

I like the Konz pick at 48, but I also see absolutely no way he’s there in the second round. Konz is a dominant center and would be a force in the Patriots already dominant offensive line. Keep dreaming that he’s still there at 48 though Pats fans. Konz may play center, but he’s a first round talent.

As for Brandon Taylor at 62? I get that McShay had to throw in a safety for the Patriots, but Taylor is in no way a 2nd round talent. I like Taylor and I still think he’s a fourth round guy. I would have rather seen Markelle Martin, Trenton Robinson or Antonio Allen there for the Pats if McShay was going to go safety. It probably would have made more sense to go CB there for the Pats since so many great ones were still on the board (Hosley, Fleming, Hayward, Boykin, Dennard).

@RyanBuske
@DougKyedNEPD is courtney upshaw a good fit for the Pats?

I think so, he can play SOLB, SILB, SLB and 7-tech depending on the scheme. He’s a strong anchor against the run and he can get after the QB. He won’t wow you in coverage by any means, but Brandon Spikes is actually an underrated pass defender, so he could cover for Upshaw. I think the Pats will also add a better coverage linebacker at some point to help out in the passing game. Upshaw would be rushing the passer on most passing downs anyway.

Upshaw certainly disappointed in his pro day yesterday, but if anything that’s good for Pats fans. Let teams pass him over based off workout numbers, if you’re looking at pass rush ability and run defense, Upshaw will be extremely solid in the NFL.

@BrianJBaby
@DougKyedNEPD ok., do you think the Patriots will keep the first round draft picks

I don’t, mostly because I don’t think the value will be there for them to stay.

If I had to guess right now, I think they may trade up with #27 and trade back with #31. They could package #27 and a second to move up in the first round plus grab extra late round picks. Then they could move #31 back and potentially pick up a second round pick and a future first.

That’s of course assuming that a team in the late teens-early twenties would be willing to trade back and that a team drafting late in the 2nd would be willing to trade up in the first.

@RealNJTJ
@DougKyedNEPD Forte to pats talk – believe it?

I don’t, but I do believe the Patriots are keeping their eyes open for another RB. Vereen and Ridley are still pretty unknown commodities, and Belichick likes to keep a stable of RBs. I suspect it will either be a veteran RB or a 2nd-3rd round pick.

I suspect the Pats will go into next season with 1 FB and four HBs. Belichick really loves running the football and defending against the run. Doesn’t make much sense on paper with such a passing league, but it certainly worked last season without the most talented team.

@animedpet
@DougKyedNEPD If BB drafts Kuechley, could Mayo move to OLB and be good at that position?

He’d be fine, but he’s not the natural pass rusher that the Patriots need in a 3-4 OLB. Mayo was already playing WLB last year with Spikes at MLB in the base 4-3.

Overall, drafting Kuechly to play ILB and moving Mayo to OLB would actually probably weaken both positions. The Patriots would be better off drafting an OLB than drafting Kuechly and planning to move Mayo.

Tags: 2012 NFL Draft, Chander Jones, Courtney Upshaw, Devon Still, Kendall Reyes, Luke Kuechly, Matt Forte, Mock Draft

25 Responses to “NEPD Mailbag: Too Long For Twitter”

1. Paul says:

With the new rookie wage scale I still doubt BB looks to trade up in the first round. With such a deep draft at positions of need look for him to trade back for future 1sts with the hope/expectation that they will be higher first round picks in the future.

2. Dan says:

I think I agree 100% with everything you said in this article…I’m letting that sink in.

This year is going to be so interesting because of a few factors:

- first year of the rookie salary cap
    - Needs on defense
    - Players that will fall to them, or near them, and how they will react
    - Carrying 3 QB’s? Draft day trade?

I think that they very well could do as you said…move up a few with that first pick at 27…to grab someone that they love and is slipping. Not that far, but a few spots…maybe the mid-teens highest.
    Then drop back and regain what you lost with the 31st if someone isn’t there that you like a lot.

Players like Fleener, Jenkins and Upshaw, to name a few, could be there and they may trade out to let someone grab them. Obvious stuff, but it’s all shaping up to look this way.

Looks like Philly will be grabbing a tackle now…not much of a choice…good for us.

• AM says:

I’m not sure how much value either of the backup QBs could command on draft day. Oddly, Mallett might pull the better value in trade–teams that had him rated highly last year could go back to that old grade and try to acquire him for slightly reduced value. Rumor is that Hoyer is well-regarded around the league, but he’s not done much in preseasons; he might be worth a fourth-rounder at most, unless someone has a Pete Carroll-like fixation on him. I think it is more likely that if one gets traded, it is towards the end of preseason.

3. Jeff M says:

Agreed on McShay’s Mock.

The dude is garbage and so are his drafts. Chandler with the 27th pick is horrible.

Reyes is not a 1st round guy…mid to late 2nd really, and ZERO chance the guy goes before Still.

Konz will also not be even remotely there at 48. If he was healthy, I’d take him at 31…no chance he makes it past that point. I think GB will take him at 28 though.

4. Jim R says:

I feel that after 20 you will get the same value of player thru round 3. If they choose not to move up or wait on a slider. Move out of round 1 all together. Is there any huge difference between Donta hightower and Devon Still in round 1 as opposed to Shea McClellin and Jared Crick in round 2, corners and Wr’s you can pluck in rounds 3/4. Safetys…pick a corner and convert him. All in all they will come out of this just fine. You know he will pick an OL high just to piss people off. Same M.O. every year

5. JMC says:

Konz at #31 would be good-

• Ryan says:

I like your style JMC. I have to admit I think a better Center will help unify a lot of things in the OL. It will also help with our younger running backs.

6. qwerty says:

>Then they could move #31 back and potentially pick up a second round >pick and a future first.

if i was owner of another team and my gm and coach did this, i would think about replacing them. if the patriots can find a chump to take such a deal – great.

• AM says:

They (the Patriots) seem to do it all the time with great success. It’s all a gamble–if there is a guy there at 27 or 31 who you think is a first-year starter, second-year Pro Bowler, it might be worth it. Historically, most of the executives who think that are going to be wrong, of course.

• McTash says:

It is a complete myth that the Patriots do this all the time. In fact they have done it exactly only twice. Once last year and before that in 2003 and that was with a much higher pick – 18 I believe. Look it up. I am surprised that the author of this article made this statement without doing his homework. All he had done is perpetuate a myth.

• Doug Kyed says:

Whoa whoa, what statement did I make perpetuating a myth without doing my homework? Answer whether the Patriots will keep both firsts?

Never did I say that they always do this. Just my opinion of what they will do this year.

• AM says:

I meant that they generally trade forward for lower picks plus futures, which they do in fact do fairly frequently. In any event, twice in the Belichick regime is still significant–I seriously doubt that any other team has pulled the same trick in the same time period.

• Mark says:

I especially loved picking up Moss for a…what a 5th round pick?
          Then with the PATS he excels and gains value. The next year they get a 3rd rounder for him. They trade that pick for a future 2nd rounder…which I believe they used last year? My point? The PATS do do the voodoo they do so well…they invest better than most. In 2012 Atlanta may trade into the first because they don’t have a first this year…Philly could trade into the first because they have two 2nds…and though it would be costly, the Saints could trade future picks for a first just to piss off Godell. In all instances the team may see a player in trade range that they decide they must have (Mark Ingram). And so the PATS with excess picks at the cheap end of the first are in place to cash in. BB is in the driver seat during the draft. And nobody knows his destination.

• Jim R says:

DOWN GOES McTASH, DOWN GOES McTASH. Solid left hook Doug

• McTash says:

You said, and others supported it, that the Patriots would trade one of their 1′s for a 2 and a future #1, and at worst inferred they have a pattern of doing so. Many people believe this pattern exists. It does not.

To your direct question as to whether or not they will keep both #1′s – unlikely but I guarantee you it is highly unlikely they will get a 1 and 2 in return.

• Doug Kyed says:

Can you pull a quote from my response where I “inferred” that this was a pattern? I’m going to guess you’ll have a hard time doing so.

There’s plenty of things to complain about me about, I prefer that they’re not made up.

As for receiving a second and future first, they did so last year from NO for a late first round pick.

• McTash says:

Above is extracted as is from your article.

It then set off this response:

• McTash says:

And this:

Look, I love this site and your articles and analysis. I am sure you, like I, visit other sites. On these other sites, and with many local and national journalists, there are consistent comments about the Pats routinely trading a 1 for a 2 this year and a 1 next year. Trust me it has become a very common accepted myth. Your comments simply perpetuate that myth, knowingly or not.

Now you didn’t exactly say it because you used the word potential but you did infer it. Perhaps I could hav e been clearer in my comment and you could have used better qualifiers in yours so people, who place great confidence in you, don’t continue to assume trading a 1 for a 2 and a 1 is so simple or routine.

• Doug Kyed says:

I have no problem with that readers take from my writing and I’m not going to correct their conversations. I didn’t say this is something the Patriots do every year.

The thought is there because the NFL Draft isn’t one round long. Maybe the Patriots have only traded down in the first a couple times, but that’s dismissing that the Patriots do trade down all the time in later rounds.

• MJP says:

Sorry, you’re wrong. Doug didn’t make any such statement and he didn’t perpetuate your myth…in fact your statement is the only myth being perpetuated.

He used words and phrases like “If I had to guess” “I think” “they could” “they may” “potentially”

The most damaging FACT that leads you down the path of epic failure is the proviso Doug offers in his second paragraph;

“That’s of course ASSUMING that a team in the late teens-early twenties would be willing to trade back and that a team drafting late in the 2nd would be willing to trade up in the first.”

Try directing your displeasure at an appropriate target before wasting our time.

• Mark says:

One day you will come face to face with Ditka and he’ll remember you said that…

7. TD says:

As far as it being said that the Pat’s used a 4-3 because of the lockout: That statement came directly from BB’s mouth on Sirius NFL training camp tour last year. He told Pat Kirwin & Tim Ryan that they decided that there was not enough time to teach all the nuances of the 3-4 to newbies last year.

Although this is my favorite time of year, it is sheer folly to guess what BB will do in the draft, but you can bet the house that he will not be tied/fall in love with any one player and will move around the board.

If this draft is indeed deep, I expect him to get more picks for rounds 2 & 3, even if it means trading both 1st round picks.

• Tom says:

But it sure is fun to speculate what BB might do this year…..

• MJP says:

THANK YOU for correcting people on Chandler Jones…I lose years on my life seeing rated as a 1st rounder.

I agree with you on all of your POV’s except the Brandon Taylor and Courtney Upshaw issue. Taylor is a former CB who played more of hybrid SS role at LSU as they seemed to play a lot of 2-deep…his coverage ability and range is not in question…he’s also a good tackler, his speed and athleticism combined with physicality make him a worthy 2nd round selection.

Upshaw is one of those guys I believe is over-hyped, he’s not a natural pass-rusher despite having good strength and leverage, his 4.8 forty shows up on tape and he if doesn’t win right away against an OT he’s pretty much done. I think he’ll probably be a hybrid ILB/OLB/DE but I don’t think the Patriots should use a high pick on him…if they’re going to do that they should get Hightower who has more upside as a pass-rusher (he would have been equally productive in terms of sacks if he played OLB/DE instead of Upshaw) and has the same positional versatility only with better size and athleticism.