NEPD Mailbag: Too Long For Twitter

Brian Hoyer Patriots Trade

Will Brian Hoyer be trade bait to pick up mid to late round picks this April?

NEPD Editor: Doug Kyed

Who’s the bestter QB prospect? What scheme does Courtney Upshaw fit into? Which free agent wide receivers might the Patriots be interested in?

Those are some of the questions I’ll be answering in my weekly “Too Long For Twitter” Friday mailbag where I take questions from Twitter that warrant, deserve or need answers longer than 140 characters

If you have a question about anything, tweet it to me @DougKyedNEPD, and I’ll try to include it in the column on Friday. If you aren’t on Twitter, feel free to throw in a question in the comments section.

@Shasta_Otter
@DougKyedNEPD 5-10 years from now, Mallett vs Luck… Who wins?

I like Mallett a lot, and his stock will keep growing the longer he stays out of trouble on the Patriots, but it’s Luck, no question.

I know that Mallett has been a good citizen on the Pats, but questions do still exist about his past and about his character that will likely never be ignored.

Mallett may have the bigger arm, but Luck’s got the accuracy, poise, skill in reading the defense, mobility and technique down like few other QB prospects we’ve seen in the last 10-15 years.

@QRB27
@DougKyedNEPD what do you think of Kellen Moore?

I don’t see an NFL quarterback in Kellen Moore. He’s severely lacking in height, bulk, arm strength and even accuracy when he’s not playing in a timing-based offense. His flaws really showed at the Senior Bowl when he was taken out of the Boise State offense and placed next to NFL caliber talent.

One of the biggest things you have to worry about with Moore is just getting hit by NFL linebackers and defensive linemen. He’s a 190 pound quarterback, who doesn’t seem like he even looked at a weight throughout his college career.

He could hang on as a third string QB, and under the right coaches and training staff he could improve his arm strength and bulk, but it would take a lot to get him up to an NFL level.

He’s definitley a smart QB and there are few better at reading opposing defenses or studying film.

@Pawsox38
@DougKyedNEPD with Peyton now gone. Do the pats go after Reggie Wayne?

I think they’ll definitley look into him, but ultimately I think Wayne follows Manning. Wayne definitely has the smarts to be a fit in the New England offense, and unlike Ochocinco can definitely read an opposing defense. I think he and Brady can get on the same page quickly.

I still think Lloyd is my top FA target overall for New England, but Wayne is a nice option behind him and Vincent Jackson.

@Stileo
@DougKyedNEPD Does Courtney Upshaw fit in the New England scheme?

Absolutely. I’ve seen some questions recently about whether he can be a 3-4 OLB, and I don’t question that ability whatsoever. He excelled at that position at Alabama, and he’d be able to fit right into New England’s hybrid defense as well.

A lot of people talk about Melvin Ingram’s versatility, but Upshaw’s a great hybrid fit as well. For the Patriots, he could play rush linebacker, rush end and strongside linebacker.

Upshaw hasn’t worked out yet for teams, so I’ll be paying close attention to he and Mark Barron’s personal pro day.

@APHOOPS12
@DougKyedNEPD will Hoyer be a pat next season?

If I were a betting man (which I sometimes am), I’d say yes. He’s a restricted free agent, and I’m sure the Patriots will tender him highly, but they’ll also consider all offers. This might be the best time to get some value out of Hoyer.

Right now, I’d probably place a third round value on Hoyer, though I’m sure some teams would consider him a 2nd round value, especially in a slightly weak 2nd-3rd round QB class. If the Pats wish to acquire later round picks, Hoyer could be a great tool to get those picks.

Teams like the Jets, Broncos, Browns and Chiefs would actually be good destinations for Hoyer. They have QBs in place, but there are still question marks. Hoyer could compete for the starting job, and he won’t cost so much that if he doesn’t grab it, it won’t tank the franchise.

We saw the Seahawks give up a third round pick, plus swap 2nd round picks with the Chargers for Charlie Whitehurst just two years ago. Hoyer is undoubtedly a better QB with a brighter future than Whitehurst.

@Thescenario9
@DougKyedNEPD u picked barron in your mock last night, whos game does he resemble. say a lawyer milloy??

I can see a little Lawyer in his game, but that’s pretty high praise from me. Milloy might be my second favorite NFL player of all time. Both play inside the tackle box well, both do well against the run, both are heavy hitters. Lawyer was an underrated pass defender early in his career and that’s my one concern with Barron.

Barron showed nice instincts while at Alabama, but I question his skills to play “centerfield” for the Patriots. Unfortunately I actually see Barron and Patrick Chung’s games being pretty similar. Both can cover a tight end or running back coming out of the backfield, but Chung struggles when helping corners over the top. I can see some similar struggles for Barron in the NFL.

I think Barron is the best safety in this draft, but that doesn’t mean he’s the best fit for New England.

@APHOOPS12
@DougKyedNEPD how will manning affect the draft?

Wherever Manning goes, that team is officially out of the Griffin, Tannehill or Weeden sweepstakes. So Manning affects the draft quite a bit.

Whichever team signs Manning will be looking to win immediately and will be using their picks on players that will help them win immediately.

The way Manning could shake up the draft the most is if he winds up in Washington. Then the Rams lose a bit of leverage on the trade for their second overall pick and it would become an almost sure thing that Browns would be the team to trade up.

11 Responses to “NEPD Mailbag: Too Long For Twitter”

1. Bruschi54 says:

If they could get a 2-3 round pick for Hoyer, BB might be comfortable that he has the ammo he wants to move up in round 1 to target a player he feels strongly could help the D right away. I don’t think Upshaw, Ingram, Hightower or Fletcher will be around at pick #27. If he really likes one of them he might go looking between picks 15-25, and still have plenty of picks to wheel and deal with.

2. Jared says:

O, and I would trade Brian Hoyer for the highest bidder in a second. Get an extra second rounder this year, which makes it easier to move picks and get a first next year. My opinion, with few holes to fill, free-agency yet to come, two 1sts-and two 2nd rnd picks, + Hoyer…they should come away with a good draft AND picks for 2013.

• DWE 2012 says:

Hoyer could garner a decent pick, but it’ll be with/included another or even 2 other’s along with him IMO.
      I’d clearly get the most I could out of it even if it meant another player involved. A decent second for Hoyer and another(S) is better than just a third for Hoyer alone;(just an example).
      This is just another REASON that back-up’s should be made to play a certain amount of snap’s per year regardless of what the starter think’s. I’ve always been a proponent of FORCING team’s to let us the fan’s see more of what we pay for, and that includes back up QB’s……..
      Hoyer has never really been allowed to show or shine. His worth IMO should go as we have Mallet, but I think it’ll be best to stuff in Cunningham and another with him(maybe Guyton or even Arrington….). I’d look to clean out some roster spot’s….not just 1.

3. Jared says:

3 first round picks….I guess its all about the player RG3, if he pans out it, it will be worth it, I am just not sold on the player… 6-1 and change-skinny-run first QB, doesn’t sound like a sure thing to me. Sounds like either Snyder or Shanahan hit the panic button.

4. Dan says:

I can’t believe Washington gave up that much to move up a few spots to get RGIII…a sucker is born every minute.
    This kid is very talented and seems extremely smart, but I just wouldn’t give up that much to get a QB that leaves the pocket or thinks to run the ball.
    I will bet that he is injured more often than not.

I hope the Pats do trade Hoyer…I highly doubt they’re planning on carrying 3 QB’s this season.

To link these two stories together…if I owned a franchise I would try to get Mallet before giving up the ranson to gain RGIII. It would cost far less and I would be getting a QB that has all the makings of a pocket passer, has shown he could grow up, and was trained for 1 year under one of the best ever, and under one of the best coaches also.

I can’t help but think there is a smart team out there that will offer something big for Mallet. Hoyer may be the one to stay if they’re blown away with an offer.

• Jim R says:

Sucker born every minute. Sanchez gets an extension. Gang Green is in trouble

• TD says:

Mike Shanahan needs a QB desperately and he has had 2 years to turn around that team with no luck and the clock is ticking. They have a good OLine, decent RB, but no QB.

I hope ‘Fins get Manning; he will raise their level of play for a few years, but they will have to get rid of good football players in order to get under the cap. My prediction: They will win 10-11 games, but their defense will morph into the Colts poor defense as a result.

Hoyer will go before Mallett, Mallet has a rocket arm and is 6-6 and smart.

• Dan says:

I agree that it is more likely that Hoyer goes this year because of what you said, that Mallet is the better prospect by far; and the Pats wish to keep him, most likely, for their future. But, I’m saying if teams are willing to give up so much for an RGIII, then maybe some smart team in need of a QB will simply offer a 1st rounder for Mallet now. If that were the case the Pats could possibly take the return on their investment now, keep Hoyer as their back up, or even trade him also and bring in a vet to be the back up.

• qwerty says:

Patriots taking a first round for a talent like Mallet is insane. It would be a not too bright long term decision.

If I were an NFL team who needed a QB, I’d trade a second round for pocket passer Hoyer since it is relatively low cost trade. Hoyer has talent. He just needs an decent OL to protect him.

• td says:

The issues as I see them when comparing RG3 to Hoyer/Mallett are that he has:
          1. no past off field issues (Mallett)
          2. rocket arm
          3. west coast/pro offense skills
          4. 4.4 40 time for a QB is off the charts.

All 3 have little/no starting experience in NFL.
          Think about it, Cassell started practically the entire ’08 season and went 11-5 and we had to kick in Vrable to get a 2nd rounder.

• DWE 2012 says:

The Pat’s have “FOUR” qb’s on the roster/depth chart already……getting rid of(for a poor choice of word’s) Hoyer would still leave “THREE”.

Don’t know who he is, and really do not care.

But let’s hope this “mike heartline” who is currently taking up Qb spot number 4 at the present time who is a street walk on, is also GONE when the season start’s as IMO the roster spot could be used for O-line and D-back help.