Mike’s Patriots Mock Draft 2.0

Round 2 Pick 63 – Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State

The Patriots have been ultra active at addressing the WR in free agency. They have brought in all types of WRs except a big, tall vertical threat. Quick is one of the biggest WRs in the draft and offers the Patriots something they don’t have. Quick would serve as the vertical threat and a red zone WR next year, while Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd and other run and operate in the intermediate and short areas.

Quick is a raw prospect, however the more I watch him the more I like him. His potential is off the charts, as he has only been a football player who five years, so he is just scratching the surface of his talent. Quick, unlike other WR the Patriots have draft would be able to be given a learning curve. The Patriots figure to be very deep at the position this year, so the coaching staff could ask Quick just to do a few things he already does well, like stretch the field, while he learns the intricacies of the offense. I could see him playing the role of a Torrey Smith who only asked to do a few things for Baltimore this past year, but his play making ability made opposing defenses pay close attention to him.

Quick would make the Patriots receiving corps as deep as it has ever been and it’s fun to just think about it.

Round 3 Pick 95 - Donnie Fletcher, CB/FS, Boston College

With this years safety class extremely weak the Patriots are likely going to have to look at CBs who project to play safety in the NFL. Fletcher is a DB who I really like and as a safety I like him even better.

He impressed me a lot at the senior bowl with his ability to play physical. He was great in shed drills and came up to take on blockers and delivered a hit better than any CB in Mobile. At 6’1″ and 201 pounds he has very good size for the position. Fletcher has played almost all zone coverage as Boston College, so playing off the line of scrimmage and reading the QB is nothing new to him.

Fletcher ran a sub 4.4 forty at his pro day this week, which really answered some questions for me. Fletcher can struggle when he is asked to play man to man so his future might be at safety, however he would also be able to play CB if need be. He is a player I know the Patriots have scouted and with Barron and Harrison Smith going long before this Fletcher might be the best FS option available.

Round 4 - Ron Brooks, CB, LSU

The Patriots continue to stock pile picks on the defensive side of the ball. Brooks was part of that vaunted LSU secondary this past year and filled a number of roles for Les Miles. Brooks was used as the nickel back and slot CB at times, but was also able to play the outside CB position when he was asked to. Brooks ran a blazing 4.35 forty which the Patriots love to see out of their CB prospects. Brooks also told me that some coaches see him playing some safety in the NFL. Adding a player like Brooks, would be right in-line with the rest of this draft class.

Smart, experienced, versatile players who would not only add depth but impact to the Patriots defense. Brooks was worked out personally last week by Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels so, Brooks is definitely a player on the Patriots radar.

* The Patriots currently don’t own picks in rounds 5-7. I think it is HIGHLY unlikely Bill Belichick doesn’t acquire two picks in these rounds by moving around the draft board, there for I will project a pick to them in these rounds, but the picks don’t exsist at this point.

Round 5 - Chris Rainey, WR/KR/RB, Florida

In past years we have seen the Patriots select a long snapper, a punter and players who project to play only special teams. This past season the Patriots really struggled to find a kick returner who could do much of anything. It consistently left the Patriots with poor field position.

Rainey is the best KR in the draft and while that alone would land him on the Patriots radar, he can do much more than that. Rainey would be used as a gadget back and possibly as a WR in the Patriots offensive scheme. He would replace the role of Julian Edelman at least on the offensive side of the ball. It was rumored a few years back that the Patriots really were set on selecting Percy Harvin before the Vikings picked him one slot before them, I could envision Rainey playing a role similar to what Harvin would have.

Rainey is nowhere near the WR Harvin is, but he would give the Pats someone to run reverses, screens and game breaking ability.

Round 6 - Ryan Miller, OG, Colorado

Miller was Nate Solder’s teammate at Colorado last year and someone the Patriots are very familiar with. He is another massive OL, standing over 6’7″ tall. Miller’s best position is OG, but he also has experience playing offensive tackle. The Patriots love taking OL late in the draft to develop them. With Logan Mankins suffering an ACL injury and Brian Waters playing probably his final season, Miller would provide depth and a chance to learn from the best OL coach in the league.

Round 7 - J.J. Jones, CB, Wayne State (MI)

The with the CB position being so deep, there figures to be some good CB prospects available late into the draft. Jones is a small school player who had a pretty good combine. He has already visited with the Patriots so he is on their radar.

*In this mock I tried to take a different perspective. The Patriots NEVER draft like the fans expect them to, so I didn’t want to give them the same old names everyone is mocking to them. Pay more attention to the position being mocked, because I feel fairly certain these positions will be addressed.

Continue to Page: 1 2

Tags: 2012 NFL Draft, Brian Quick, Devon Still, Mock Draft, Shea McClellin

47 Responses to “Mike’s Patriots Mock Draft 2.0”

1. Jeff says:

I definitely agree with your statement about the names of players not being important, as the Pats look waaaaay beyond the “big names” on draft day.

However something esle to add to context…BB never drafts based off NEED.

He takes it into consideration, for instance if 5 players have the same rating on the Pats board when they pick, and one of those players is a position of need, they’ll take him.

However, if there’s a better player at a position that is NOT needed as much…BB will still take him.

The only time I think he varies from this is when the best player is not needed at all , and would force a good player at that position off the roster (TE for example).

2. Lundahl says:

no safety ? And no center ? Other than that, I love it !

3. Justin says:

Probably the best Patriots mock draft I have seen so far

Looks like the Patriots will move higher in the draft, courtesy of the Saints (lost 2nd round pick) and Raiders (used a 3rd round pick in last year’s supplemental draft). Never hurts for a small move up from 63 to 62 and 95 to 93.

• Jeff says:

I would love to see the first 4 picks used on the D. It obviously needs an upgrade on talent.

3 out of the first 4 picks need to be accross the D line. The other pick NEEDs to be on a SS/FS. Here is hoping for Baron to fall.

• DWE 2012 says:

Still don’t understand the fasination with BARRON “until” updated reports on his double hernia are substanciated.
        Inguinal? Hiatal? Ambilical? Just what kind of hernia is it???

Anyone who know’s about them know’s it takes a while for them to recover even with the best of care, double no less!

Pull in Harrison OR Iloka instead. We’ve had issues regarding injury with Vereen & Dowling all recently that put off major playing time and reconfiguring due to it.
        Add on the ACL W/ Mankin’s, question’s with Connelly & Vollmer, Koppen coming off his…….the “INJURY” list is and has been way too long on this team and it’s just what may have actually cost us that elusive forth ring!!!

5. JoeT says:

Yeah I like this mock, but honestly I could see them going somewhere on the offensive line in the first round. With Mankins undergoing ACL surgery, Light and Waters probable to retire within the next year or two, or now, they need help. Cannon is a question mark also. Connolly is injury prone…

6. qwerty says:

great selection of picks. way better than all those other mock drafts.

7. Larry says:

They are going to draft a Center with one of their picks……

8. Ken W says:

1. Devon Still DE
    1. Trade back into early 2nd and get a 1st round pick in 2013
    2. From trade – Jayron Hosley CB very good corner and was on Sports Science just like Ryan Mallett, Devin McCourty, and Nate Solder so you know the Pats are picking him.
    2. Shea McClellin OLB
    2. George Iloka S
    3. Marin Jones WR
    4. Derek Wolfe DE
    Bonus picks from moving around – OL and RB

• Jim R says:

Trade the 31st to atlanta for 55 and a 1 next year. I like those picks BTW.
      A name to watch for Greg Childs in the 3rd round. That was Mallets boy in Arkansas

9. td says:

I don’t see them drafting a WR to develop or can play right away after all the guys that have been signed.

IMO, it’s OL depth, DL and DBacks. Maybe a guy like Hightower as Spikes’ contract is up in 2013 and Guyton is probably gone.

• Dan says:

Yes, I can just see BB in the draft room having to make that decison…developemental WR, or a much safer OL, DB, whatever. He may have had a slight plan to include one of these guys, but pulling the trigger will be tough after what he witnessed last year on his defense and losing the Super Bowl, again, in the late 4th.
      I agree…if Hightower is there (getting past the Steelers!) it will be tough to pass on him, especially with his flexibiltiy and being a winner in the SEC and for Saban (team capt…national champs etc…). BB may go into convulsions and the thought of some unproven wideout would quickly go away.

10. John M says:

How high of a priority should the S and CB positions be for the Pats? When (which round) should the pats draft these positions? I already know that they have to draft a DE or DT in the 1st round. Losing Mark Anderson and having Andre Carter unsigned with an injury is a giant blow to the defense. A young wide receiver would be nice but I don’t see that happening with the pats major needs. Also another G or C would be nice in the early rounds but they have to fix their defense first.

• Dan says:

Jeff, I don’t mind the double-dipping on the DL, I’m just thinking it will never happen with both picks in the 1st round. Going after another even as soon as the 2nd round wouldn’t bother me one bit.

• Dan says:

I think they need some top talent (first 2 rounds) to come in and compete at DB. Now, whether that’s a safety, CB, or someone to make a switch from one to the other I’m not sure, and I really don’t care. They simply need more talent back there…to state the obvious.
      I’m really hoping that Barron slips to them…gets by the teams like Dallas, Jets and a few others, because of his injuries limiting him to no testing so far and maybe no off-season on field work outs.
      He’s someone who could just add to the talent…whether they let him down low as SS, situationally, or try him at FS in our system, which I would love to see.
      Either way, I can’t see them avoiding this gapping hole. The brought in Gregory, but he could be insurance, and assurance, that they have “somebody/anybody” to upgrade. I never liked Landry for the position. Gregory can always add to the depth and play special teams, and if he completely sucks he could be gone next year.
      It’s one of the most interesting aspects of the Pat’s draft this year…what they do will tell the story, whether it’s being agressive, going after H. Smith (who I’m not so in love with, would much prefer Barron), but either of these guys would be an upgrade; infact, anyone in the first 4 rounds would be an upgrade.

11. dslave says:

Shea McClellin may end up sneaking ito the first round or high 2nd. His football iq is huge. I dont see them drafting a small school wide out in the second. Marvin Jones is someone im guessing on late 2nd. This is a great mock. Love the Still pick and agree with the accessement about stockpiling on the d-line. Read in beteween the line what Casario said prior to the combine.

• Dan says:

I highly doubt McClellin gets into the first. He seems like the kind of late high riser that is being talked about so much, but when the draft actually unfolds he goes where he was supposed to….late 2nd, 3rd…
      But, I would love to have him…he could take Cunningham’s spot when he’s cut for being useless.

• Ken W says:

What did he say and what do you think it means?

12. Joe Blake says:

Agree with most of your picks except Quick at #63. They need to get younger and faster on Defense, so lets go with all your picks and spend #63 also on “D”… another LB, SS or CB…and hope Lloyd can go deep in 2012.

13. Jeff says:

I love the idea of double-dipping for d-linemen, it’s the one area of the team in desperate need of an infusion of young talent. We’ve spent a number of high draft picks in recent years on skill position players, secondary, offensive line — it’s time to turn to the D-line.

As for the specific players, Reyes makes a lot of sense. I’m not sure about Still, he’s obviously talented but something about him doesn’t fit the Patriots profile; the “motor” issues are a red flag. I’m wondering if instead they’d be tempted to take a flyer on Ta’amu. I also like Wolfe from Cincinnati and Hamilton from MO in the later rounds.

I think Quick, on paper, is perfect, both because he brings an element we don’t have and because he may represent good value in the 2nd, given that he has such a high ceiling and is so new to the game. But I think the Patriots may be skittish about drafting another developmental WR prospect, given their dismal track record in that area and their complicated system. One guy who I’ve always thought seems like a perfect Patriot WR, though maybe a bit redundant of what we already have, is Jarius Wright.

I like McLellin a lot too, but I think he might be duplicative of what they already have (Ninkovich, Cunningham, maybe Scott). A versatile LB that can cover would be nice, ala Lavonte David.

14. patfanaz says:

Great draft. Would love it even if we dont get the 5-7 picks. Hits all the areas of need and all can play multiple positions. One can only hope it goes this well.

15. JMC says:

Two DLs and an OLB. I like- I still think if Konz C is available at #31 you take him though-

16. Bill says:

That’s agreat draft and if thata the way it ended, it would be very exciting. In this opened up 60% passing NFL , don’t pats need to think about speed at LB. McCleenan is a pretty good pick, but how about Bradham or Demario Davis on weak side instead of drafting Fletcher at 3rd Rd.
    brooks seem like a great value pick but it’s hard to see a guy with that kind of speed on such a great team being ignored for 4 rounds

17. Dan says:

Ok…just watched more on Quick (and went back to waching McNutt) and I’m thinking Quick is just to raw. I see him having a huge step up to make and not such a great athlete/football player. I would take McNutt over him (very similar measurables).
    Although, I’m not too sure either is the type of outside receiver the Pats will be looking for.
    I use DraftScouts often for listings and ratings and they had Quick much higher than McNutt; so I’m looking alone on this, but I’ll stick with my opinion.

• STEVEN G says:

Dan. Been watching some film on Quick lately, n he seems to get better n better. Really growing on me. I c him only getting better.

• Dan says:

I just came back to the site to say the same thing…I see it now…see the athlete and potential, and over McNutt…I’m converted. Although, I still see it as a long-shot either way that the Pats him because he’s such a project and from a small school…terrible competition etc…just so tough to judge and tougher to gamble on.

Also, I’m off the Harrison Smith bandwagon as a high draft pick. I’ve come full circle in this draft year…it’s all about getting Barron…he’s a great one, and I think we may have to move up to get him; I’m just not sure they’ll do it. The only thing they have going for them is that he was injured, but with his talent I think teams will simply grab him after he’s cleared by the doctors…let him heal up. He’s a professional safety and could be a great one.

• Billy C says:

Don’t jump off the Harrison Smith bandwagon. I really think the Pats make a move for him in the second. He has flexibility to play both the strong and free and he’s aleader who is very tough. I really like the mock but think the absence of identifying a safety needs to be addressed and to this point the safety position is very weak on the team.

• qwerty says:

that’s the difficult thing about the receivers. even after the top three, there is still lots of WR talent. where to pull the trigger, i am not sure. this is exceptional year for WR talent so I can see them pulling trigger no later than second.

i think patriots have enough talent on team already where they don’t have to over reach too much. they will let the players fall to them.

• Jeff says:

Smith seems like too much the same player as Chung…more SS than FS.

Quick would be AWESOME, as would McNutt, although I think Quick is going to be a superstar.

He reminds me almost of a Marquise Colston type big body with great hands. Raw, but could be incredible with some coaching.

I just really think BB is going to take a WR that can play ST’s…

18. Dan says:

I do think the probability is high that they will be taking a “faller” on the D-line, but I highly doubt they’d pick 2. I just don’t see the sense with some decent players, like Love, ready to pick up where he left off; then add in the fact that you’re pushing two rookies at the same position.
    I love McClellin…think they would also, but they may be able to wait till the end of the 2nd or top of the 3rd for him. As much as I like him I think this is a bit early. I believe other teams (with their few picks) can’t reach for guys like this…so he very well could fall to where he’s been projected.
    I see the Pats loving Harrison Smith, maybe the guard from Wisconsin, Zeitler (sp?)…I heard mention of him being a candidate to be converted to center, so he would have that flexibility…great value also, if there at 48, or maybe higher.
    I already mentioned (before reading this) that the addition of Rainey will be tempting, especially in later rounds where most players won’t have a shot at making this team.
    I see it being way too early for Fletcher also, and I have to go right now and watch more of Quick seeing all you people are talking about so highly. See if I like him over McNutt.
    No doubt though that would be a nice draft if the Pats ended up with early part of what you have projected here for fun.

• Jeff says:

YES! Soooo many people have projected Konz as the OC, but his teammate can play OG and Center…and he looks like he’d be a beast!

Molk from Michigan is an option for Center in the 4th round as well.

19. AM says:

Love Reyes and McClellin–I’d be perfectly fine if they reached for McClellin at #31.

• Jim R says:

They might have too

• Jeff says:

Reyes seems much too high at 31…all though I like him…I think he’ll be around until LATE 2nd round…and I think you could potentially get someone like Stephen Gilmore at 31, which would be awesome!

I’m also very much a fan of Trumaine Johnson as a safety…McLellin would be a fantastic pick…I also wouldn’t mind Andre Branch, but not until round 2.

I really think that BB will be drafting a WR who plays KR and PR’s though because we are just not going to have enough roster space for one deep threat ONLY guy and no ST’s.

Like BB has always said…if they can’t play ST’s…it’s tough to get them on the 45 man gameday roster.

20. STEVEN G says:

Mike, u read my mind completely. Would be an ideal draft. Spot on.

• Mark says:

Yes, holy crap! And they missed winning the Superbowl by an injury to Gronk essentially. I still think they trade down with some high picks to keep the edge going but this would be a talent blitz by BB. The pass rush is on and all of our secondary become much more effective. There’s no question they make it deep into the playoffs – they should be in the title again.

21. Jim R says:

Great job on this one. I think Mcelliln can be a contributor right away

I have to agree with Josh, this is an amazing draft. I really like the R. Miller pick in the middle rounds, I think the Pats take him. I also like the Rainey pick. Good work, I think they take some DL and maybe an OC somewhere in there.

23. Jack says:

I would love to the Stills fall to the Pats. I saw a highlight film of him and it was just silly. There was no end to the plays he made. He looked like a man among boys.

• Jeff says:

When he is on…he is unblockable…and I think BB and Wilfork could seriously help in bringing out the beast in that kid.

I liked the thought of Brockers and his potential in a year or two…but Still has looked dominant.

I still think that Cox will be an immediate impact player, and could be the best DL in the draft…he and Still have the potential to be Seymour-esque.

24. Josh says:

My favorite Pats draft so far. Especially love Brian Quick. I might take an ILB somewhere in the middle rounds, maybe Audie Cole, instead of Rainey. I like Rainey but maybe you can get the same thing out of taking Jeff Demps later in the draft or as a UDFA.