2012 Patriots NFL Mock Draft: Doug

Janoris Jenkins NFL Draft

Could Janoris Jenkins fall to the Patriots? And if so, would Belichick be willing to take a risk in the first round?

NEPD Editor: Doug Kyed

Bill Belichick is a hard man to predict, and that especially rears itself in April during the NFL Draft. With all the prospects and all the potential trades, there could be millions of possibilities for the Patriots this year. Here’s the one that I envision.

Grab a new NEPatriotsDraft.com T-Shirt for Draft Season!

1st Round (27)
Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama

Jenkins was not the only cornerback that shined in the combine drills and workouts, but he was the only one that admitted in his press conference that he has four children with three women.

Personally, I do not care how many kids someone has and I think some people are going a little far with their judgement of Jenkins. There has also been recent word that Jenkins’ college coach at North Alabama didn’t know about his children though.

Between his possible “hiding of the truth” and his dismissal from Florida because of brushes with the law, I suspect this could drop him completely from some teams’ draft boards.

Jenkins is undoubtedly a top 15 talent in my opinion, and if he falls to the end of the first round, I would think the Patriots would have no choice but to take a good look at him. He’s a physical cornerback, who can excel against small shifty receivers and much bigger stronger receivers due to that physicality. He can have trouble turning his hips and running, but his plus speed can make up for it.

Typically, Belichick will take a sure thing in the first round and save the fallers for later rounds, but no one would have suspected Belichick would take a 6’1” corner last year either.

1st Round (31)

The difference in talent between the end of the first round and the end of the second round this year is fairly slim. That paired with the Patriots recent tendencies suggests the Patriots trade down here.

It won’t be a popular choice with Cleveland fans, but I have the Browns trading with New England. The Browns need a quarterback, they’ll have plenty of compensatory selections in this draft and the Patriots need late round picks.

I have the Patriots receiving the Browns 2nd round pick, a 5th round pick and a 6th round pick for the 31st pick.

Click on page 2 for the second round and beyond.

Continue to Page: 1 2 3

Tags: Harrison Smith, Janoris Jenkins, Marvin Jones, Patriots Mock Draft

30 Responses to “2012 Patriots NFL Mock Draft: Doug”

1. Kim says:

I’m all for trading down, however I don’t think that it should be to gain more late round picks. We should be making only enough picks for players who are going to make the final team. What’s is the point for trading down to Cleveland from pick #31, for #36 amd a 5th and 6th Rounder. They could still get their ‘guy’, but why waste two other picks on players who will have a tough chance of making the team? If they are going to do it, trade for #36 and and future 2nd or 3rd rounder.

2. Lundahl says:

I don’t know if I agree with Jenkins but I like your choice at CB. Yet, if Barron is available, then in this case I would take Baron. Although, I would draft a safety in the next rounds. But again, lets not forget free agency.

3. Joe Blake says:

Since the Pats draft poorly: bottom third in terms of starters and pro-bowls in the last 5 yrs, and since the Giants draft well: ranked number 1 over the past 5 years: follow their lead and go for the best athlete available versus whether or not the player was a team captain and can grasp the alleged complicated schemes: Cunningham was a team captain at Florida and what did that get us, for example.

• td says:

Imagine the rioting that would occur if BB had a club that only made the playoffs once every 3-4 years with…..ta da….Brady on probably his last contract.

4. Tom says:

Is there any concern about picking another player from UCONN so high? In hindsight, the picks of Donald Brown, Darius Butler, and William Beatty do not seem to be very good (maybe it is unfair to include Beatty). Are these players the product of a system, a weak college schedule, or did they just not pan out the way they were projected? Just curious….

5. Bill says:

The reason they say there is no difference between the 20th pick and the 60 th, isn’t because there there isn’t a difference. Its that ther is no consensus as to what the order is. 5 years from now there will be , and I’d prefer having the largest selection to choose from, and not be too cutesy and trying to pick up an extra #199 pick, just because Tom Brady was one, and we might strike paydirt again.

Keep your #27 and 31 picks, and take the guy you think is the best right there. The nguy you may want may be gone by screwing around. At the end of 3rd round, we should have a 300# DT/DE, a safety or CB, a WR, a LB, and OL.

6. Joe Blake says:

My guess is that BB loads up on this years draft by trading 2013 picks to receive 2012 picks. That way he can win a SB next year and retire to the celebrity golf circuit. It won’t leave much of a 2013 draft for Josh M. (his replacement) but with two DTs, an OLB, Safety, WR and CB from this years robust round two and three picks and two OLs from free agency we should be happy. Maybe a stretch, but so is the Jenkins idea.

7. qwerty says:

This is a very well thought out prediction scenario.

I think all your picks are very plausible. I would be thrilled if the Patriots got them all.

I would normally stay away from Jenkins especially in top 20 picks but after that, it becomes more difficult for a team to resist. Picking him in very late first round is a much safer bet. He has the highest probability of falling on the draft boards.

You don’t want to draft a head case. Having FOUR kids really calls for an in depth investigation and study of his psychological attributes. If Patriots do their due diligence in this regard, I have no problem with them drafting Jenkins. Hopefully Jenkins doesn’t get wacked for excess child support payments later on. Cromartie’s first million he earns essentially goes to pay off the yearly child support (supposedly 8 kids). Jenkins hopefully doesn’t have anymore kids for a long while. TO pays 600K for one child.

With the Saints likely facing a loss of draft picks, I doubt they will be trading with BB anymore for a while.

8. Dan says:

I could see Jenkins being off their board entirely; and it he’s not and still there I would guess they pass on him and let some other team take on all that potential and potential distraction.
    Remember Dez Bryant? He’s one of the great athletes in the NFL (still), but he’s out of his mind stupid and brings way too much baggage to the table. Actually, a pretty sad case…I don’t like calling someone with big problems stupid.
    I see BB avoiding such players as he gets older…I’m sure he’s learned some valuable lessons; that it’s just not worth it.
    I’m convinced Moss has a mental disorder of some kind, bipolar or something along those lines, he can’t help himself and blows up situations he’s in…destroys a good thing time & time again. Yet, he seems like a nice guy etc…
    I just don’t think the Pats will play with fire with many of these young kids who are so troubled, and Jenkins has many issues it seems.

9. Phil says:

Nice mock draft Doug, I really like this one. Maybe I would have taken some lower pick on a guard/center…but still addressed many needs of this team.

10. Dan says:

This year will be very interesting on the trading down & out of the first round strategy. Now that the money is more realistic, and less damaging, what the Pats do will speak volumes.
    Although, I think the money part of the strategy was only part of the philosophy; the other part being more picks are better. We all know that good & great players come from all over the draft and even guys that go undrafted. So, the more players you can pick will increase a teams odds at having better players.
    It’s an admission of NOT knowing…doing you best with the facts, and not allowing a few bad picks (salary cap) to mess up your team building.
    I’ve said this a hundred times on this site…just go back and look at past drafts, and redo those drafts and see where the talent was picked. You’ll see busts all over the place, and names you don’t even recall that were sure bet big-time players.
    Nobody knows who will make it in this league…every year it’s the same story, but you have to look at the history to realize the reality and understand why BB drops back for more picks (and picks anywhere…even late rounds…picks are picks…more opportunity for someone to make the team and emerge).
    These other teams, that don’t follow this stategy, are putting their eggs all in one basket; and that’s a recipe for disaster. Just look at the league…these teams have massive holes and 75% of the stink. They should be dropping back and taking more picks…building balance and depth…playing the odds and not letting the odds take them down.

If BB drops back I will sit back and enjoy the ride; I’ll know he did it for a good reason and look forward to the added odds that some players will hit and others won’t…some years will be busts some years will be home runs.

Nobody knows…anyone who claims to know is kidding themselves and you. The step up from college to the NFL is a massive leap; then you have injury, system, opportunity, MONEY, youth, confidence, drugs, women, coaching changes, crazy owners, pressure, PEDs (!) etc…

11. TD says:

Looks like Doug is going the Captain route, except for Jenkins, although you could say he is the captain of a wayward ship.

Dang Al Davis had to pass and Saints are in trouble with the Commish, so there goes 2 possible partners for a pick or 2 next year. Maybe Ozzie Newsome likes another OT at bottom of 1st round.

12. John M. says:

I hate to say it but Doug’s prediction on how the Patriots will draft this year is pretty accurate. But DWE has the right idea. We need better quality players, not quantity. If a top 10 pick on defense makes it to pick 17 for instance, we have to make a deal to move up. The Patriots should focus on defense, defense, defense with their first 4 picks. Our offense will be fine, even if we don’t draft anyone on offense in the first 2 or 3 rounds. Don’t worry about a WR as a deep threat. We have Welker and 2 great tight ends. We already proved to everyone that we can’t pick WR’s in the draft or in free agency so why waste an early pick. The Patriots proved to us that they are willing to take chances on troublemakers so if Janoris Jenkins makes it to pick 27, I think they’ll take him.

• Mark says:

Why not get both quality and quantity?!! BB always tries for both. I like the flexability that the Pats 2012 pics provide. I’d like to see him trade 27 and 64 for PHI 46 and 51. That would give the PATS 31, 46, 48 and 51. Now that’s value. Philly woould have 2 in the 1st and still have a last 2nd. Then BB would try to trade 31 for a next year 1st pick and peel off a 3rd for this year or next. Then he will trade his 2 thirds for a 2nd rounder next year…and so it goes…

• Mark says:

Thats a 27 and 63. Also fix “and still have a late 2nd round pick”.

Why would PHI do this? Add up those 2 firsts and thier 63 and that put’s them past what anyone else except CLE or CIN could possiby offer STL for RG3 with maybe next year’s first…just saying it’s feasible.

13. AM says:

This is a fantastic draft, except for the Jenkins pick. I really think that the child support issues are the icing on the kicked-off-the-team, drug-using cake. Really, the collective weight of the issues are what give me pause. I’d rather see Stephon Gilmore at this spot, or wait on Chase Minnifield (who is one of my favorites in this class).

Also I’m completely in favor of trading back a few spots to pick up the extra picks, although I think we’re more likely to see a future pick included. I’m not sure, though, that the Browns would be all that interested in moving up such a short distance for any of the QBs available (unless Tannehill falls this far). Carolina might be a better bet, as they have a long history of that kind of move. Who are you anticipating the Browns will target at 31?

14. TD says:

Fans may not like it, but unless a free falling talent drops to #27 say adios to those two picks if BB can find some takers.

I find it hard to believe that those 2 picks (27 & 31) would yield talent that much better than anyone available in the 2nd round.

15. DWE 2012 says:

I’d probebly pull my hair out trading down for a lower pick and the addition would actually be for a 5th and 6th rounder??? WOW

WE DO NOT “NEED” 5th and 6th round pick’s by any mean’s, we have that type of talent lying around……….., we “NEED” th opposite as a matter of FACT. & that mean’s impact player’s for the “NOW”.
    Player’s we can incert inbetween our current roster slot’s and player’s to fill in for other current roster slot’s that just do not cut it. Sorry but 5th and 6th rounder’s are not “that”, more than a considerable amount of time and usually they take a year or 2 to develope.

Sure, I know, I know Brady was a 6th rounder. Although only an idiot who never payed any attention and was in the thought need of a QB would have passed on him after checking out the history of him and “THAT OTHER GUY” in college.
    Wasn’t Dan Koppen a 5th or 6th rounder, yeas he was as well.
    Hell for that matter Troy Brown was an 8th rounder in 1993!!! *What can brown do for you? He can be picked in the 8th round and become one of the most famous and beloved Patriot’s of all time that’s what Brown can do for you……..
    Ben Coat’s was also actually a 5th rounder…….

We could talk the Bledsoe/Re-Birth era.
    We could talk the Brady/Current era. We could talk that “OTHER ERA” as well?
    Look, “All” team’s come up with later rounder’s that are Jewel’s for them, But if you collectively put thing’s together;

Brady came in in 2000 as a sixth rounder, “BUT” the very next year RICHARD SEYMORE AND MATT LIGHT WERE TAKEN # 1 & # 2, on a team that was already 3/4′s re-built after being re-birthed……HELLO.

Troy Brown was taken in the 8th round in 1993 yes. “BUT”, even though it was only WILLIE McGinest taken #1 the next year…………
    ( o.k. Max Lane was take in the 6th that year as well who was a great player IMO for us that particular year), again look at the next year who was taken though…….??
    Uhm’. Can you say TY LAW #1, Ted Johnson #2, & Curtis Martin #3!!!!

History show’s if you look at it, that late rounder’s can and do work out very well and even rise to the cream of the crop, BUT ONLY IF YOU ACTUALLY TAKE TOP NOTCH TALENT BEFORE AND AFTER THEM SOMEHOW.

So I ask you IN RE: Does the New England Patriot’s “NEED” 5th & 6th rounder’s by giving away top rpounder’s……………??? or do they “NEED” clear cut impact now player’s who’s talent level’s will hold an immiediete impact for the greater and long term?

You trade guy’s who HAVE NOT WORKED OUT AND TAKE UP ROSTER SPOT’S for 5th and 6th rounder’s,(like Gary Goyton, Cunningham for example), NOT GIVE AWAY 1st and 2nd rounder’s for them!!!

• Doug Kyed says:

It’s only trading down five spots though.

• TD says:

With all the *****ing that has gone on here the past 2 years about moving way up and drafting supposed “studs”, it amazes me that fans still doubt BB’s methods after almost winning the SB.

16. Jim R says:

Not 1 O-lineman. That is as sure a bet as them trading one of the # 1′s

• MJP says:

I would swap Derek Wolfe with Audie Cole (not a big fan) and take Philip Blake OC from Baylor in the 4th round (or if you prefer take Blake early and keep Wolfe in the 4th round).

• Dan says:

I like Blake a lot…maybe the 4th round, or possibly the 3rd. He looks strong and athletic and is said to be pretty smart.