2012 NFL Free Agency: Patriots Sign CB Will Allen

NEPD Editor: Doug Kyed

In a very Patriots esque maneuver, in the midst of the Saints discipline and Tebow-to-the-Jets, the Patriots signed former Dolphins CB Will Allen according to Bryan McIntyre.

The Patriots love to bring in veteran defensive backs, in the past signing Shawn Springs, Leigh Bodden, Lewis Sanders, Deltha O’Neal, etc.

Allen played in 15 games this season, with six starts and 676 total snaps at slot corner after missing all of 2010 and half of 2009 with a knee injury. Before Allen’s knee injury, Allen was the 10th rated CB on Pro Football Focus in 2008 and 32nd in 2009 despite missing half the season.

If Allen can further recover from his multiple knee injuries, the Patriots could be getting a steal. New England desperately needed depth in their secondary this season after Ras-I Dowling and Devin McCourty both missed time.

Allen won’t be a starter, but if Dowling gets hurt or Arrington and McCourty start to struggle again, he could be a valuable asset.

I don’t think this takes away the Patriots need to draft corner early in April, but it’s another low-risk, high-reward move that the Patriots are known for.

Allen was a former first round pick for the Giants in 2001.

Tags: 2012 NFL Free Agency, Miami Dolphins, Roster Moves, Will Allen

16 Responses to “2012 NFL Free Agency: Patriots Sign CB Will Allen”

1. Dan says:

I see this pick up as another competition guy…50% or less to even make the team, but I like it…why not?

2. Tanner says:

thank god. this could really help the patriots.

3. DWE 2012 says:

Another CB. I like it. Not sure of his number’s/stat’s, and hopefully he’s ready to play after the aformentioned injury…….
    Competition, competition, competition.
    With what they have brought in thus far, if we can sew up the backfield, I’ll like to see BB use the 1st two pick’s on a top notch (OLB) and (C).

One of the round 2 pick’s i suspect will be traded out.

I’m also surprised that Tebow to the J-E-T-S happened. I would have actually liked to see him in a Patriot uniform and be used as a HYBRID type of package player. (FB), (RB), (TE). I’m not sur how good his hand’s are, it would have been mostly a blocking TE, but it would have been nice. TEBOW’s estimated worth to an NFL team is about 25 Million.
    You pay him his slated three Mill, he bring’s in 20Mill and you just made an estimated 17 MILLION! I’m surprised that Between the Businessman of Robert Kraft and the Accountant top of his class major that BB is, that this was not done!
    Mutli-possition player,Money Maker & the type of backround and all around attitude that this org pushes for and need’s. It was a win-win IMO.

4. Dan says:

The Jets circus tent just got another ring! Adding Tebow will either push Sanchez, add to their offense with Sparano’s wildcat/goal-line offense, or tear the team into insanity with all the Tebow talk.
    Sanchez seems like an athlete on the brink…lots of pressure to preform very well this year, and on the biggest stage; I don’t see this helping him at all.
    I see this as negative for the Jets…setting them back further.
    Lots of daffy christians in Colorado, and he’s not in the bible belt either…now he’ll be dealing with evil, heartless, soul-less, NY fans.

• Mark says:

I don’t even think Rex could shake Tebow’s hand without burning him self and turning to ash…how is he gonna coach him?

5. Dan says:

Another good signing…low risk…high reward…can’t lose; not to mention you’re bringing in a player with experience who needs to make a paycheck….keeping the competition level very high…pushing the young guys also.

• AM says:

And a division guy to boot.

• Dan says:

I think the funniest part of the trade is Denver thinking they were getting $5 million in addition to the picks for Tebow and NY shocked at this. Denver is lucky to have found a buyer at all and they thought they were getting cash….for their stupid draft pick’s bonus???
        I heard they split the difference or something…just to save face and get it done. Another slick move by Elway…gets rid of this major headache, replaces him with one of the best ever, gets a mid round pick, then squeezes a few million out of the deal at the last minute.

I’m starting to think he’s a genius…

• AM says:

Either that or the Jets are idiots. The Jaguars and Rams had already rejected the clause on the draft trade papers, but the Jets failed to notice it was included. Basically, they failed to read the contract. How long have they been doing this again?

6. dslave says:

I wonder what there cap number is right now with 11 free agent signings? Reason being, how much do they have left to sign draft picks and if someone may retire, like waters and matt light

• Dan says:

great question…I was thinking the same thing.
      It seems they always leave themselves enough wiggle room; and some more room to add players during the season…a bit of a buffer.

• TD says:

I think they have a lot of room still left. Before the last 3-4 days they had almost $17mil space.

If Light retires, he will free up $8mil in space.

7. Steve says:

any news on Yeremiah Bell coming to town?

• DWE 2012 says:

THAT WOULD BE AWSOME. Bell added to the line-up would releive alot of worries!!

Also just got 2 report’s in that BenJarvis-Green Ellis is now a Cincinatti BUNGLE!

Not sure what I think of this so far, except that if I am correct; he garner’s a second rounder since he was a restricted free agent???

I say we couple that new second rounder with one of the first rounder’s and JUMP-UP!!!!!!!!!