Patriots 2012 NFL Mock Draft: Mike

Jordan White Bowl Game

Could Jordan White be a target at WR for the Patriots?

Round (4)- Shea McClellin, DE/LB, Boise State
Bill Belichick is so tough to read when it comes to selecting linebackers. I was ready to give this pick to Audie Cole however after watching both in Mobile and re-reading my game notes on Boise State games, I think McClellin is the better player.

McClellin plays with an intensity and motor that really separates him from most other players. I had the assigment to scout 3 Boise State games this year and watched many others; in most games McClellin was the best defensive player on the field. He is a better athlete than people think and has a tremendous football sense. He is the most versatile defensive player in this draft class with the ability to play DE, MLB and SOLB.

He looked as good as any of the other OLB in Mobile and picked things up very quickly despite not playing the position before. Speaking with McClellin you can tell football is important to him and he truly loves the game. He is someone who just keeps showing up when watching game film. With coaching I think he could be able to become a combination LB switching between ILB and OLB as well as rushing the passer in situations. I have compared him to a much more polished and gifted Dane Fletcher and I think the comp. fits.

*Round 5- Jordan White, WR, Western Michigan
After getting Rueben Randle in round 2, I could see the Patriots going back and adding a more polished possession WR in Jordan White. White is the type of WR the Patriots haven’t taken in the past, but is the type of WR that is usually successful as a late round pick. No WR was more productive the last few years, leading the nation in receptions and receiving yards.

A WR corps of Welker, Randle, Branch, White and Brandon Lloyd would be a huge upgrade over the position last year and add some youth to a position that desperately lacked it down the stretch this season.

*Round 6- Jaye Howard, DT, Florida
Howard is a player I like more than a lot of people. He is an athletic interior defensive lineman who would add some youth and explosiveness to the defensive line. Pairing him with Fletcher Cox would give the Patriots a young athletic tandem to rebuild the DL around.

Bill Belichick loves to take chances on DT late in the draft, especially in recent years. We have seen Myron Pryor, Kade Weston, Daryl Richard taken in recent years. Howard is probably not an every down DL but, he can be utilized as a sub package rusher. Adding Howard would essentially replace Myron Pryor and Mike Wright as interior sub package DT, both players have had success in the past but really struggle to stay healthy.

* Round 7- Joe Looney, OG, Wake Forest
The Patriots will draft an offensive lineman late in the draft, so this pick is a shot in the dark. Looney is a tremendously strong guard who looks kind of like Mike Martin in terms of build. Doing anything more than throwing a name out there this late in a mock draft is just silly.

The theme of this draft would be to add play-makers to a defense that sorely lacks them and add talent to the WR position. If the Patriots were able to walk away with the haul above they will have rebuilt the WR and S positions, added athleticism to the defensive line and added some versatile, smart defenders who will be coached up. This is just my opinion as of this moment in time. It will be changing many times before the draft and already kind of has.

Continue to Page: 1 2 3

Tags: 2012 NFL Draft, Fletcher Cox, Harrison Smith, Jaye Howard, Joe Looney, Jordan White, Patriots Mock Draft, Rueben Randle, Shea McClellin

19 Responses to “Patriots 2012 NFL Mock Draft: Mike”

1. Brian says:

I think it depends if Light is retiring and what they do in Free Agency around that and OC. But I think he will retire and so I say they use his $$ along with other freed-up $$ for Mario Williams or Defensive Line (Jason Jones or Red Bryant or Paul Soliai) and then use the draft to grab another G/T combo guy like Cannon (Cordy Glenn) at end of RD 1 or in RD2.

I really don’t like any OLB prospects, not impressed with any that they could be much better than Ninkovich or Cunningham (if healthy) – especially at the end of RD1.

So I say Hightower at 27 and trade 31 for a high/mid-second RD and third RD picks, plus a 5th or 6th.

Then in RD2 – Shea McClellin OLB, Reyes DE, Sanu WR, Jones OC and a CB in RD3 and a OT/OG in later RD3.

2. dslave says:

Alot of needs this has are available by free agency and the draft. Except for safety.Im hoping someone gets cut the BB like because Barron is a SS. Love his size and smarts, he wont be there at 27. Aaron Henry from wisconsin fits what they may want to develope.

3. Dano S says:

Pats Mock Draft 1 Stephon Gilmore CB S Carolina 1Kendall Reyes DL
    Connecticut 2 Juron Criner WR Arizona 2 Trumaine Johnson DB Montana
    3 Nick Toon WR Wisconsin 4 Shea McClellin DE Boise St.

• jim r says:

That could work. Guys on D look solid. The WR’s, after the first round guys, most of the rest look to be about the same between 6-6’4 run around 4.5-4.65. I guess it would come down to football IQ.

• Brian says:

I think McClellin is gone by end of RD2 but I like him alot and I predict BB will too. I also like Nigel Bradham as a cover LB, and Keenan Robinson and later Tyler Nielsen as depth/cover LB guys. I like the Toon pick – a sleeper I think.

4. AM says:

Solid draft–absolutely love the McClellin pick, but just like Randle, I think he won’t be available that late by the time the draft actually rolls around.

5. Dan says:

Would Mark Barron provide an upgrade for the Patriots secondary?

Is this a trick question???

6. Lundahl says:

I would take a WR in the third. Or basically three DBs in the first four draft picks. I agree with Cox. But again, maybe BB goes for a veteran DB, who knows. Free agency is a big factor.

• TD says:

The stars and the moons of Jupiter would have to be in alignment for BB to draft solely on need.

He will try to address D issues first via free agency.

The draft is for playing battleship commander and getting his highest rated football players as far down the draft ladder as possible and possible picks for next year.

7. Ratzalot says:

I’m not entirely against drafting Mark Barron, but it doesn’t make much sense to me taking him in the First Round. Barron is a Strong Safety ONLY! Barron will not be able to move over to Free Safety. NE already has a very good Strong Safety in Chung who is also a Strong Safety ONLY. To me, taking Barron is essentially drafting a backup Strong Safety. Unfortunately, there are no top-notch Free Safety prospects. If the plan is to move McCourty or Dowling to FS, then it seems to me NE needs a couple more CBs NOT Safeties.

• jim r says:

I think they will get a safety and WR thru free agency. That will allow them to draft developmental guys later in the draft.

• TD says:

I too do not think Barron is a good pick in round 1. Reading all the draft pundit articles and they say Barron is an in the box saftey they think can cover. What the hell makes them say he can cover????? I saw the Bama-LSU game and he was always in the box!

BB made a play for Goldson (49ers) last year and he may do it again this year, although the price went up due to his past season and playoffs performance. I’m sure BB & staff are in late night meetings going over whether McCourty is best at FS and others can cover the CB position.

8. Tom says:

I really like the picks. The first five picks puts a talented player in a position of need, and I particularly like the idea of picking up the VA Tech DB. Seems like every mock draft has the Pats taking a different WR though. But why do you think the Belichick-Saban relationship is overblown? Saban’s team played against Cox and Randle (as well as many other SEC players being discussed as possible draft targets) and he would be in a position to tell Belichick how he thinks different players compare to one another or if there are players the Pats should take a flyer on in the late rounds/UDFA. Do you think that the amount of information Saban could provide is very little relative to what the normal scouting process would uncover?

• dslave says:

i dont think its overblown.I believe theres a solid relationship there. BB has done a good job at working with his former coaches. Pat Hill, Saben, Ferentz at Iowa to a lesser degree. Al Groths requirts at virgina i think we need to keep an eye on are Minnefield and Cam Johnson at olb/de. Had Dowling not got hurt , that defense would have looked alot different.if that kid can stay healty, he’LL BE A VERY SOLID DEFENDER.

9. jim r says:

Would like to see them in the first 3 rounds come out of it with LB, DL, corner and a trade. Adress WR and OLine in rounds 3-7
    31- Vinny Curry ar Fletcher Cox
    48- (Cox at 31) Adrian Branch or Chandler Jones (Vinny Curry at 31) get Jerel Worthy
    63-Trumane Johnson
    94-Mike Brewster
    126-Chris Rainey (small) matchup nightmare in a spread

10. bill ollar says:

the pats dont have 3rd day draft picks this year

11. Bruschi54 says:

Good work Mike, I would take this group unless a solid pass rush OLB/DE unexpectedly slid down the board to us at pick #48. Cox & Baron would be great pieces to add to this defense.

12. Tyjax says:

Nice job Mike, like the picks. Also would also like Marvin Jones as a WR in our offense.