Patriots 2012 NFL Mock Draft: Mike

Jayron Hosley 2012 NFL Draft (Photo: ICON SMI)

Hosley could be a menace in the Patriots backfield.

Round 2 (48)- Rueben Randle, WR, LSU
If the draft were held today Randle would be available at pick 48, but might not be by the time the actual draft rolls around. He is someone who is flying a little bit under the radar, but that may change after the combine. He is one of the biggest receivers in the draft and would give the Patriots the size and vertical threat they lacked on the outside.

Randle is a a much better athlete than he is given credit for and truth is he was hurt severly by the LSU offense. If he was in an offense like Justin Blackmon was at Ok. St. we could be talking about Randle in the top half of the first round. Whether it’s Randle or another WR I expect them to pick one here or at 63.

Round 2 (63)- Jayron Hosley, CB, Virginia Tech
Hosley isn’t a CB we have talked about a lot when connecting possible players to the Patriots. After doing some more film study I think Hosley is a really good fit for what the Patriots do. He is a ball-hawking CB who plays really well in zone coverage. He has some of the quickest breaks on the ball of any CB in the draft not name Janoris Jenkins.

The thing that separates Hosley from other zone cornerbacks for me is I actually think he will excel in man to man as well. He plays with an attitude and swagger and just doesn’t get pushed around. He is about the prototypical size of a Patriot CB. Hosley also has some of the best footwork of any CB in the draft. He is able to locate the ball in the air and make plays on it. He is able to plant and redirect really well. He is a player who just has a nose for the ball and is successful and reading the QB eyes.

I expect Hosley excel in the 3-Cone drill which is something the Patriots weigh heavily when evaluating CB. Hosley did a “Sports Science” spot on ESPN which I found fascinating. He has a 76″ wingspan which certainly makes him play bigger than he is.

* I think it’s extremely important the the Patriots used 4 picks in the first 2 rounds to add play-makers to defense and a WR. If they come out the second round with a DE, S, WR, CB they will be in good shape.

Round 3 (94)- Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame
This is a tough pick to project. I would like to give them an OLB here but none truly stand out at this point in the draft. The past two seasons we have seen the Patriots double dip at both the TE and RB positions, essentially rebuilding both positions with youth.

Smith is a player who probably won’t go as high as he should just because he isn’t flashy. In 2004 when the Patriots were rebuilding their safety position we saw them draft two safties in Guss Scott in the 3rd round and Dexter Reid in the 4th. Smith is a smart, steady player who won’t make many mistakes. He’s exactly the type of player the Patriots need to add to their secondary.

Continue to Page: 1 2 3

Tags: 2012 NFL Draft, Fletcher Cox, Harrison Smith, Jaye Howard, Joe Looney, Jordan White, Patriots Mock Draft, Rueben Randle, Shea McClellin

19 Responses to “Patriots 2012 NFL Mock Draft: Mike”

1. Brian says:

I think it depends if Light is retiring and what they do in Free Agency around that and OC. But I think he will retire and so I say they use his $$ along with other freed-up $$ for Mario Williams or Defensive Line (Jason Jones or Red Bryant or Paul Soliai) and then use the draft to grab another G/T combo guy like Cannon (Cordy Glenn) at end of RD 1 or in RD2.

I really don’t like any OLB prospects, not impressed with any that they could be much better than Ninkovich or Cunningham (if healthy) – especially at the end of RD1.

So I say Hightower at 27 and trade 31 for a high/mid-second RD and third RD picks, plus a 5th or 6th.

Then in RD2 – Shea McClellin OLB, Reyes DE, Sanu WR, Jones OC and a CB in RD3 and a OT/OG in later RD3.

2. dslave says:

Alot of needs this has are available by free agency and the draft. Except for safety.Im hoping someone gets cut the BB like because Barron is a SS. Love his size and smarts, he wont be there at 27. Aaron Henry from wisconsin fits what they may want to develope.

3. Dano S says:

Pats Mock Draft 1 Stephon Gilmore CB S Carolina 1Kendall Reyes DL
    Connecticut 2 Juron Criner WR Arizona 2 Trumaine Johnson DB Montana
    3 Nick Toon WR Wisconsin 4 Shea McClellin DE Boise St.

• jim r says:

That could work. Guys on D look solid. The WR’s, after the first round guys, most of the rest look to be about the same between 6-6’4 run around 4.5-4.65. I guess it would come down to football IQ.

• Brian says:

I think McClellin is gone by end of RD2 but I like him alot and I predict BB will too. I also like Nigel Bradham as a cover LB, and Keenan Robinson and later Tyler Nielsen as depth/cover LB guys. I like the Toon pick – a sleeper I think.

4. AM says:

Solid draft–absolutely love the McClellin pick, but just like Randle, I think he won’t be available that late by the time the draft actually rolls around.

5. Dan says:

Would Mark Barron provide an upgrade for the Patriots secondary?

Is this a trick question???

6. Lundahl says:

I would take a WR in the third. Or basically three DBs in the first four draft picks. I agree with Cox. But again, maybe BB goes for a veteran DB, who knows. Free agency is a big factor.

• TD says:

The stars and the moons of Jupiter would have to be in alignment for BB to draft solely on need.

He will try to address D issues first via free agency.

The draft is for playing battleship commander and getting his highest rated football players as far down the draft ladder as possible and possible picks for next year.

7. Ratzalot says:

I’m not entirely against drafting Mark Barron, but it doesn’t make much sense to me taking him in the First Round. Barron is a Strong Safety ONLY! Barron will not be able to move over to Free Safety. NE already has a very good Strong Safety in Chung who is also a Strong Safety ONLY. To me, taking Barron is essentially drafting a backup Strong Safety. Unfortunately, there are no top-notch Free Safety prospects. If the plan is to move McCourty or Dowling to FS, then it seems to me NE needs a couple more CBs NOT Safeties.

• jim r says:

I think they will get a safety and WR thru free agency. That will allow them to draft developmental guys later in the draft.

• TD says:

I too do not think Barron is a good pick in round 1. Reading all the draft pundit articles and they say Barron is an in the box saftey they think can cover. What the hell makes them say he can cover????? I saw the Bama-LSU game and he was always in the box!

BB made a play for Goldson (49ers) last year and he may do it again this year, although the price went up due to his past season and playoffs performance. I’m sure BB & staff are in late night meetings going over whether McCourty is best at FS and others can cover the CB position.

8. Tom says:

I really like the picks. The first five picks puts a talented player in a position of need, and I particularly like the idea of picking up the VA Tech DB. Seems like every mock draft has the Pats taking a different WR though. But why do you think the Belichick-Saban relationship is overblown? Saban’s team played against Cox and Randle (as well as many other SEC players being discussed as possible draft targets) and he would be in a position to tell Belichick how he thinks different players compare to one another or if there are players the Pats should take a flyer on in the late rounds/UDFA. Do you think that the amount of information Saban could provide is very little relative to what the normal scouting process would uncover?

• dslave says:

i dont think its overblown.I believe theres a solid relationship there. BB has done a good job at working with his former coaches. Pat Hill, Saben, Ferentz at Iowa to a lesser degree. Al Groths requirts at virgina i think we need to keep an eye on are Minnefield and Cam Johnson at olb/de. Had Dowling not got hurt , that defense would have looked alot different.if that kid can stay healty, he’LL BE A VERY SOLID DEFENDER.

9. jim r says:

Would like to see them in the first 3 rounds come out of it with LB, DL, corner and a trade. Adress WR and OLine in rounds 3-7
    31- Vinny Curry ar Fletcher Cox
    48- (Cox at 31) Adrian Branch or Chandler Jones (Vinny Curry at 31) get Jerel Worthy
    63-Trumane Johnson
    94-Mike Brewster
    126-Chris Rainey (small) matchup nightmare in a spread

10. bill ollar says:

the pats dont have 3rd day draft picks this year

11. Bruschi54 says:

Good work Mike, I would take this group unless a solid pass rush OLB/DE unexpectedly slid down the board to us at pick #48. Cox & Baron would be great pieces to add to this defense.

12. Tyjax says:

Nice job Mike, like the picks. Also would also like Marvin Jones as a WR in our offense.