NEPD Mailbag: Too Long For Twitter

Fletcher Cox 2012 NFL Draft (Photo: ICON SMI)

Why would former Mississippi State DL Fletcher Cox fit the Patriots so well?

NEPD Editor: Doug Kyed

Will Doug ever stop writing about Marvin Jones? Will the Patriots trade up for once? Is Mike Wallace a player the Patriots would be interested in?

Those are some of the questions I’ll be answering in my weekly “Too Long For Twitter” Friday mailbag where I take questions from Twitter that warrant, deserve or need answers longer than 140 characters

If you have a question about anything, tweet it to me @DougKyed, and I’ll try to include it in the column on Friday. If you aren’t on Twitter, feel free to throw in a question in the comments section.

@UrMaineChoice_ asks
@DougKyed Do you think is Possible that BB will give up a 1st Rd draft pick & try to sign Mike Wallace ?
@Lil_Ryan_2010 asks
@DougKyed Seeing how Pats have 2 1st round picks & almost always trade out; do u see them making a move on a 1st round tender like Wallace?

I think it’s certainly possible that the Patriots would be willing to give up their first for Wallace, but I’m not sure if he’ll be there for the taking. If the Steelers put a first round tender on Wallace, 30 teams would essentially have to pass on Wallace for the Patriots to get him (they’d have to use the 31st pick). There are so many teams that could use a WR like Wallace and could really benefit from his “deep threat.”

I actually have a problem with Wallace on the Patriots anyway. I think he’s a great player, and he’s one of the few Steelers that I actually like, but I’m not sure how well he fits Brady and the Patriots. One of Brady’s few weaknesses is the deep ball. It worked with Randy Moss because Moss was willing to/had the skills and height to go up for the ball and fight for it. Wallace doesn’t have the height or physicality of Moss, so Brady would have to really improve his accuracy down field to make Wallace worth it.

Wallace is more than JUST a deep threat, but there are wide receivers who could fit the Patriots game better for less money, that they wouldn’t have to give up a first round pick for.

Of course, it would be nice to take Mike Wallace away from the Steelers, but lets not forget that they’d be able to grab an extra first round pick out of the deal.

If the Patriots do make a deal for Wallace, I won’t be mad per se, but I’d probably have the same reaction as when they signed and released Marcus Stroud last year, “Eh.”

@agreatcall  asks
@DougKyed If Marvin Jones got beat out for #1 wr in college is he going to be able to compete at the nfl level?

That’s one of the knocks on Jones, as a senior, he got beat out by freshman Keenan Allen for the no. 1 job, but that doesn’t tell the whole story.

Jones had been the no. 1 receiver his Sophomore and Junior years with quarterback Kevin Riley. His Senior year, Keenan Allen’s half-brother Zach Maynard became the new starting quarterback. Between Keenan Allen being a five star prospect and one of the best WRs in the nation, and his connection with Maynard, it’s pretty obvious to see why Jones lost his slot as the no. 1 guy. Oddly, Jones actually did increase his production from his sophomore and junior years, despite being the no. 2 target.

There are players who are better pros than college players and I think Jones fits the bill pretty well.

Let’s also not forget that Keenan Allen is almost a lock to be a first round pick next year. He’s a player with tremendous size and a great skill set. Now, I promise to not write about Marvin Jones anymore until at least a couple questions down.

@Lil_Ryan_2010 asks
@DougKyed If Pats don’t address pass rush in FA; what are the chances they actually TRADE UP to get a pass rusher in the draft??

I’d put those chances at “very slim.” I think the Patriots will likely address the pass rush the same as they did last year, resigning either Mark Anderson or Andre Carter, trying to increase the pass rush from the inside and perhaps spending a later round pick on a pass rusher.

The only pass rusher that I think is worth trading up for that would fit the Patriots is Courtney Upshaw. I would love the Pats to pull the trigger, but don’t depend on it. Last year, everyone kept waiting for Belichick to make the pick for a pass rusher and it didn’t come until Markell Carter, and everyone was disappointed. Just go into the draft with low expectations for the pass rush, and you won’t come away disappointed.

I think the Patriots would be just as well off grabbing a 5-tech who can get after the passer, then taking a situational pass rusher in the 3rd or 4th round.

Of course, as I always say, expect the unexpected with Belichick. I’m not expecting the Patriots to take a pass rusher until at least the 63rd pick, so they’ll probably trade up to no. 12 and grab Courtney Upshaw… and then everyone will complain that the Pats didn’t take a defensive back.

Continue to Page: 1 2

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “NEPD Mailbag: Too Long For Twitter”

1. Ken W says:

what do you guys think?

27. DE Cox/Still (checked out some youtube of Still – he can be dominant)
    31. Trade (2013 1st and 2012 2nd)
    48. WR Joe Adams
    * (from trade) S George Iloka
    63. CB Trumaine Johnson
    94. WR Marvin Jones/ DE Derek Wolfe (check him out, I liked what I saw)

2. avk says:

What do you think of Stephen Hill out of Georgia as a fit for the Pats, and where could they get him? Seems like he’s got the size (6’4″) and speed we need. I realize he didn’t put up insane numbers at Georgia, but I think that’s a result of the type of offense they run. plus he’s coming from a school that produced Calvin Johnson and Demariyus Thomas.

3. And F says:

I would love to see something like this:

28 – DE, DT or OLB – give me an impact player that can put pressure on a quaterback.
    31 – trade for 2013 1st rounder and a 2012 second rounder.
    Second Round – use all three picks – a wide receiver, cornerback or safety, defensive end or OLB.
    Third round – safety, corner back, defensive end or olb.
    fourth round – Childs

4. dslave says:

I’ved learn to go with the flow and to try and think how their philosophy translates to the same things BB covets in draft picks. Higher picks play in bigger schools. They have specific requirements,versatility, intellengence, high football iq,ect. Ithink there matbe 2 de’s/olbs he may like Cam JOHNSON and SHEA McCllien. thier size and bio’s are what thwy like. Ne Pats Draft likes McCllein.

5. qwerty says:

>The Brady/Belichick era’s door is closing and the Pats should get as many NFL-ready players as possible.

This is panicking.

Patriots need to maintain a long term time frame. Just because Brady era will be closing, doesn’t mean that the Mallet era won’t come about.

I think the Patriots will have to use their first round picks this year because the slots are only trade-able with a few select teams.

6. qwerty says:

>I personally wouldn’t mind the Patriots trading Hoyer or Mallett this offseason. It’s nice to have three quality QBs, but it’s not a necessity.

Trading a potential franchise QB like Mallett … NEVER

Mallett showed very high potential in the preseason games

Even better than Hoyer

He is worth at least two first rounders even though he has never played

Brady’s last year as starting QB for Patriots is likely 2014

Finding a QB talent better than Mallett won’t be easy

If Mallet is ever traded away, the Patriots will trade away thier future

7. Ken W says:

I think the only way the Pats trade up is if a good DE that they really like falls down the board a little and is in the early 20’s. Then I could see them trying to jump the Texans, Broncos, and Steelers for Brockers, Still, Cox.

Would only cost them a 3rd and they could easy get that back by trading down from #31 which is likely.

8. TD says:

I think there may be suitors for one of the 1st rounders that we have had a history with:

Ravens-need OLine help
    Texans-need WR, DLine help
    Carolina-need DLine, LB help
    New Orleans-need DLine, DB help

Jets-need help using a calculator on salary cap

• Jeff says:

Don’t forget the Falcons don’t have a 1st this year either. They may be willing to trade their 1st next year, and their 2nd this year to get into the 1st since Dimitroff and Smith could be in hot water if they don’t make some very good progress this year.

If they don’t address some key needs in FA, look for them to be trading up into the 1st with the Pats. There’s also a lot of defensive help that could appeal to KC in the draft so look out for them trying to get back into the 1st even if they get a stud with their pick.

• jim r says:

We can get the raisers 2013 draft for # 27. raiders do not pick until the 5th round. Do not worry they will take Chris rainey with that pick. He will run a 4.29

9. Asap says:

You guys have any views on Robinson out of Arizona State? Looks like he put out some good numbers in school and also made a couple plays in senior bowl. Everyone has him listed at 25th WR or worst, and I’m wondering why?

*/ ?>