2012 Patriots NFL Mock Draft: Pre-Combine Edition

Tyrone Crawford Patriots

Tyrone Crawford is an interesting prospect in the middle rounds. (Photo: ICON SMI)

3rd Round (68 – via Cleveland)
Mitchell Schwartz, OL, Cal

In exchange for the 68th pick and a 6th round pick, I have the Patriots sending Brian Hoyer and a 5th round pick (via Chicago) to the Cleveland Browns. Ryan Mallett should be the future at the position and essentially getting a day two pick for Hoyer is great value.

Mitchell Schwartz is very under the radar, but is the type of prospect that Belichick has gone after before. He played left tackle in college, but I think he will be even better as a right tackle or guard in the NFL. Getting that sort of versatility is key for New England.

Schwartz excels in the run game, but has struggled a bit in space against quick pass-rushers. You can mask that by moving him to the interior at the next level. If Brian Waters retires or there continue to be injuries on the Patriots offensive line, having another talented swing player would be invaluable.

3rd Round (94)
Trumaine Johnson, CB/S, Montana (Scouting Report)

After adding a cornerback in Casey Hayward, the Patriots still need a free safety to help in coverage. Johnson is a small-school cornerback that I feel could be an incredible free safety.

He has the skills to stick with tight ends and slot receivers, while having the size, length and hitting ability to help in run support. Johnson tracks the ball well and has good instincts when breaking on the ball.

George Iloka (FS, Boise State) is another one of our favorite prospects here at NEPD that could help out in the defensive backfield.

4th Round (126)
Tyrone Crawford, DE, Boise State

Defensive linemen Mike Wright, Gerard Warren, Myron Pryor and Ron Brace all might be elsewhere come the start of the 2012 NFL season. If that is the case, adding depth in addition to Fletcher Cox would also be needed.

Crawford is another 3-4/4-3 guy whose frame could handle trimming down or adding on to the 6’4″ / 275 lbs he has. He has the tools to be a three-down lineman, but is a bit raw rushing the passer.

Given a bit of time to develop, Crawford could become an important part of the Patriots front seven.

6th Round (via Cleveland)
Chandler Harnish, QB, Northern Illinois

I think that an NFL team should draft a quarterback almost every single year – whether it be in the first round or the seventh. The position is just too valuable to ignore. The Patriots have made hay drafting, or signing, Matt Cassel and Brian Hoyer. Harnish could be the next guy to get the same treatment.

Harnish is very mobile with NFL quality accuracy. At very worst, Harnish is an intriguing guy to have as your scout-team quarterback and emergency starter.

Continue to Page: 1 2 3

Tags: 2012 NFL Draft, Cam Johnson, Casey Hayward, Fletcher Cox, Marvin McNutt, Mitchell Schwartz, Patriots Mock Draft, Trumaine Johnson

12 Responses to “2012 Patriots NFL Mock Draft: Pre-Combine Edition”

1. JMC says:

I don’t mind the trades but I’d rather see BB make the pick at 31, best player or best D-player, than trade down for those picks this year. I’m hoping the draft, esp in the first two rounds, go defense. I would not mind however if pick 31 were used to sign a RFA WR or quality CB-etc.

• jim r says:

With the draft picks You know he likes picking in the second/third round. For good reason there is not much of a difference. Lock of the year he will trade 1 of the first round picks

2. Ken W says:

I will just say George Iloka in the middle of the second. I think they may move around a little bit like they usually do, to move ahead of teams they think might take their guy.

• Jim R says:

I watched Boise a couple of times this year. He really did not stand out. Not to say he would not be a good pick, I just do not think they will secure the safety position thru the draft.

• Ken W says:

Yah I would rather pick up a good FA Safety because we have plenty of young guys in the secondary so maybe someone with some experience would be best for them.

I haven’t seen much of his games just some small clips where he looked pretty good but what caught my attention was his interviews. Seems like a real student of the game, smart, versatile (played a little CB) and coachable. Just sounds like a Bill Belichick player.

Kept mentioning “details” in one of the interviews and just sounded like a Patriot, so thats why Im saying we get him somewhere in the second.

3. Jeff says:

I’m calling this now…if Joe Adams is on the board at #48 he WILL be getting his name called for the Pats.

4. Jeff says:

No offense but there’s no way I’d not take Iloka at that spot over Johnson.

If Iloka is gone then yeah I’d take Johnson, but not in a million years over Iloka.

As for the trade with the Bears…that does not sound like value that Bill would be interested in. A 1st for 2 2nds…I doubt he’d even blink at that when last year was an offer of a 1st and a 2nd. If that’s the best offer…he’ll use the pick, unless there’s NO ONE they’d want there, but I’d be surprised if that happened either. BB has wanted to keep that extra 1st rounder going for a LONG time, and I can’t see him giving it up for 2nds, cuz it’s just too hard to get it back.

5. Jim R says:

2nd round great options. If they can get any of the people you mention in those slots it will be a great day.

6. MJP says:

I like Cam Johnson, he has sickle cell anemia, not sure to what extent but his coaches said it wears him down, he’ll need to be managed perhaps on a drive by drive basis, maybe even snap by snap.

He should be available at that pick and if he can figure out a way to get past this obstacle he’s definitely an 8-10 sack OLB in the 3-4.

• TD says:

He just would not be able to play in Denver, like the Steeler’s safety in round 1 of the playoffs, Clark I think.

7. TD says:

I don’t see BB using both 1st rounders, especially if this draft is deep. He has his “wish list” of players by ability and value, not need. If his list of guys are clumped close together by the end of round 1, there is no need to take them there, trade into round 2, get one of your guys and receive extra picks or possilbility of a move up next year.

Sooner or later, if he keeps dealing a first rounder for a first next year, that team will tank from injuries or something else and we could end up eventually dealing a bottom first rounder for a top 10-15 pick next year ala the trade w/49ers that sent #29 (Joe Staley) and we ended up with #7 overall (Mayo eventually).

• Jeff says:

This is exactly what BB is waiting for. Desperate teams, with management at the end of their rope and willing to sell out because they won’t be there the year after for the fall out if they can’t make the playoffs.

Coaches like that are willing to sell the farm for ONE year since that’s all they have left.