NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Loyko
Day 1 of the Senior Bowl is in the books and what a day it was. It started with the weigh-in, then practice and media night. I covered north practice today and here are my notes on who stood out and who struggled.
– Mike Adams is the best offensive lineman here. He was unbeatable today, except on one occasion where Vinny Curry got a great jump off the ball and dipped underneath him. Other than that he is impressive. Measured in at 6’7″ with long arms, he has created a lot of buzz down here and looks like a sure fire 1st round pick.
– Doug Martin was the best RB for my money, he looked quick to and through the hole, runs decisively and even got to the outside a couple of times. He is built like a brickhouse, very stout and solid. He could have a big week down here.
– Cornerbacks that stood out to me were Leonard Johnson, who looks explosive and pretty fluid in his hips, and Donnie Fletcher. Fletcher can play high in his peddle, but was being coached up and showed very good coverage ability. I think Fletcher is someone who will really improve his stock this week.
– Mike Martin is what he is. He plays with such good leverage and such power, he really got the better of Mike Brewster today. Brewster told me Martin is the best DL he played in his career at Ohio State and they will battle for the next week.
– Brian Quick exhibited very good speed beating Asa Jackson deep for a touchdown pass. Quick is a big WR and runs very well for his size, I was impressed with his overall game.
– None of the QBs really impressed me. Kellen Moore was all over the place today and has no real zip on the ball. Russell Wilson is just so small, although he has a good arm.
– Kevin Zeitler was a stud all day long, I didn’t see him get beat at all and when I did watch him he dominated Alameda Ta’amu, knocking his helmet off of him. He is fiesty and a battler.
– I also was very impressed by Notre Dame S Harrison Smith, he looked very fluid, made good breaks on the ball and you can just tell he understands the game. He will be in the NFL for a long time.
– Alfonzo Dennard got exposed a little bit like scouts thought he would. He is very stiff in his hips and can’t turn and run. However if he keeps the play in front of him he makes very solid breaks on the ball and almost had 2 picks today. He will end up getting beat because his inability to turn those hips.
– I will have much more tommorrow, as today was the first day and everyone is just getting adjusted. It’s been great so far and as the week goes on we should get to see who really helps and hurts their stock.
Quick Notes on which teams talked to who:
Texans GM Rick Smith stopped to talk to Boise State DL Billy Winn after practice.
The Chiefs spent a lot of time with Cincinnati RB Isaiah Pead.
The Chargers appeared very interested in Utah State LB Bobby Wagner.
I also saw Vinny Curry stop to talk to the 49ers.