Open Thread: NFL Free Agents

Manny Lawson NFL Free Agency

Who might the Patriots be looking for in Free Agency?

With the NFLPA and NFL brass rapidly coming to an agreement to a new collective bargaining agreement, the NFL free agent market might be open as soon as next week. Who should the Patriots target?

We’ll start things out with our pick. We talked about already about Matt Roth, Malcolm Floyd and Robert Gallery, but have been saving this guy.

While Mathias Kiawanuka might be a tempting fit for the Patriots 3-4 defense, Sidney Rice would be an intriguing downfield threat, but our choice would the 49ers linebacker Manny Lawson.

We were big proponents of Lawson’s back when the Patriots drafted Laurence Maroney. He hasn’t made a huge impact on the stat sheet (12 sacks), but has been very good in coverage and against the run.

If the Patriots used Lawson more as a rusher (he was often subbed out on 3rd down), he could have a career renaissance in Foxboro.

I’ve said my piece, which NFL Free Agent do you want the Patriots to sign?

Tags: Free Agents

13 Responses to “Open Thread: NFL Free Agents”

1. Justin Marble says:

First priority is Mankins: I don’t think I need to explain how much better they got with him in there. He’s a beast, and probably the best guard in the NFL. Time to cough up the dough.

Light, I don’t mind seeing him leave at this point. He’s on his way out, and I think it’s time for Sebastien Vollmer to become THE guy on the line. I’d rather see them save money. If he resigns for cheap and a short contract, that’s fine, but don’t overpay.

For pass rushers, I’m a BIG fan of Manny Lawson in SF. This guy could be a great player in the right system, and SF’s defensive front seven has been a bit of a mess. I have a friend who follows the Niners religiously and he continuously says that the team misuses Lawson and he often ends up on the bench, when he’s one of their best pass rushers. Much like TBC was misused in SF, Lawson could be a beast under the right coach.

I’ve also heard good things about Roth and Ray Edwards out of Minnesota. The one question mark w/ Edwards is that he plays on a line with the Williams and Jared Allen – so how much of his production is him and how much is the result of the playmakers he’s alongside.

And finally, put me down as an Ochocinco guy. BB trusts him, and in BB we trust. The guy’s a bit of a clown but he’s also never been in a healthy team environment where winning is a tradition. And the guy wants to win. But if they don’t go that route, I think Malcom Floyd is on the cusp of becoming an elite receiver in this league.

Must have Mankins. I agree that Light is good and we could use him, but what was the point of drafting someone to replace him if we have to sign him for a few years at a huge cost, yes rebuilding, blah blah blah. Its a waste of money. If he doesn’t come cheap see ya. As for a receiver I think a no name or possible UDFA (NEPD chime in here, Sanzenbacher? not sure if he was signed) is the way to go. I would love a good OLB, but it doesn’t seem realistic, I think Ninko is going to be playing more. As for S as much as i like Meri, I would like to see him replaced ONLY if there is a younger veteran to replace him. Whitner comes to mind.

3. Jon says:

I’m on board with nailing down Mankins and Light first.

Personally, I’m not all that up for a veteran WR coming in. Their presence could stymie the development of Tate, Price and Edelman. I’d rather see what these guys can do, plus with the new RB’s I think Brady has enough toys.

I do think signing a front 7 player is necessary though. Charles Johnson might be a nice pick up. A healthy Kiwanuka could work as well. Maybe Lawson or Roth.

I also like Donte Whitner as a possibility at Safety

4. TD says:

I say sign our own first: Mankins and Light.

Rice/VJackson/Braylon/et al along with the above OL’s would probably take us to the cap and make a deal difficult for Welker, Branch and Koppen and a saftey or two needed next year (FA/Sanders/Merriweather).

I would like to see Mankins (if possible) and Light signed and we need a C and WR next year to probably replace Branch. BB seems committed to rebuilding the Offense through the draft these days.

5. JMC says:

Some of you will poop you pants but Brayland Edwards would be a good get-

• NEPD says:

I’d rather have Chad Ochocinco than Braylon – and that is saying something.

• JMC says:

I think your wrong about that- but there it is……Edwards is no more undisciplined than Randy Moss was. He’s big and strong (so much so that he has effected the Patriot’s 2011 draft at #33-I’d bet), can go short or long and is very tough in the red zone. He also seems to care about winning. Ocho-whatever his name is seems to only care about being obnoxious.

However…….I could see Edwards as too expensive for the risk-

6. Phil says:

Firstly…Logan Mankins…then snag either Manny Lawson or a receiver like Chad Ochocinco…i would love seeing him in Foxborough and believe he will add an even more versatile offense and can still rack up some yards…especially with Tom throwing him the ball

7. Matt says:

I like the idea of Manny Lawson but I think the patriots should send a 2nd round pick to San Diego for Vincent Jackson

8. Coach Bill says:

First things first – Logan Mankins. Then I’d take either Sidney Rice or Jason Babin.

9. Patriots Draft Guru says:

I’ll take Cliff Avril for $200 Alex.