2011 Patriots Roster Prediction 2.0

After a flurry of trades, cuts, and acquisitions, the Patriots just might be ready to take a break from being the lead story on NFL Network.

Therefore, we’re going to make our second of five predictions of what the Patriots 53-man roster will look like come opening day of the 2011 NFL season.

Quarterbacks - Tom Brady, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett (3)

Running Backs - Ben-Jarvus Green-Ellis, Danny Woodhead, Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley, Sammy Morris (5)

Wide Receivers - Chad Ochocinco, Deion Branch, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Taylor Price, Brandon Tate (6)

Tight Ends - Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Lee Smith (3)

Offensive Line - Sebastian Vollmer, Logan Mankins, Dan Connolly, Dan Koppen, Matt Light, Nate Solder, Mark Levoir, Ryan Wendell (8)

Defensive Line - Albert Haynesworth, Vince Wilfork, Ron Brace, Myron Pryor, Mike Wright, Brandon Deaderick, Kyle Love (7)

Linebackers - Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Jermaine Cunningham, Dane Fletcher, Eric Moore, Gary Guyton, Rob Ninkovich, Markell Carter, Jeff Tarpinian (9)

Cornerbacks - Devin McCourty, Leigh Bodden, Ras-I Dowling, Kyle Arrington, Darius Butler, (5)

Safeties - Pat Chung, Brandon Meriweather, James Sanders, Sergio Brown (4)

Specialists - Stephen Gostkowski, Zoltan Mesko, Matt Katula (3)

PUP/NFI: Marcus Cannon

Last four in: Darius Butler, Jeff Tarpinian, Taylor Price, Sammy Morris

Last four out: Jonathan Wilhite, Matthew Slater, Tracy White, Kevin Faulk

Sammy Morris’ skill-set at fullback/short-yardage is what is keeping him on the roster currently, although if Stevan Ridley can show some ability in those areas Kevin Faulk could be the fifth running back. We’d certainly like to see him make the team.

Jeff Tarpinian is our surprise pick, as we think that his low price-tag and special teams ability gives him a good chance of beating out incumbent special-teams ace Tracy White.

Darius Butler has the most potential of the remaining defensive backs, although Josh Barrett and Jonathan Wilhite are probably in the running for a spot on the roster.

Slater isn’t really a threat at receiver, and while his special-teams play is good, we’re not sure it warrants a spot over a guy like Taylor Price.

Tags: Predictions, Roster Moves

35 Responses to “2011 Patriots Roster Prediction 2.0”

1. Sean says:

One interesting note today Mike Rodak the intern for ESPN Boston listed the current guys on the TC roster and Cunningham, Moore and Carter are all listed as Defensive Ends not Linebackers. Fletcher could probably be listed there as well

More eveidence that they are going to a 4-3? Here’s how they have been practicing for the first few days.

Mayo – WLB
    Spikes – MLB
    Guyton – SLB

I also don’t see Pryor making it back this year from his injury. So it would free up another spot.

• CC says:

The Pats have run a 4-3 previouisly before it was switched up. I for one wouldn’t mind seeing it again-NOT ONE BIT!
      *Anyone remember 2001 play-off’s and the 2001 Superbowl? YUP!

For that matter the Giant’s run a 4-3, and they pretty much ran hard as f**k for Brady didn’t they? YUP!
      I think that divine intervention catch by the giant’s wouldn’t have meant crap if we A/. had 15 more point’s on the board at that time becuase the defense kept their offence off the field or if B/. they had 15 point’s less because we stuffed the hell out of em’ an extra 6 times.
      We cant necessarily forget that botch Asante Samuals made that could have ended it and gave us #4 ( but we all can think of one play by any player that could have either won or lost any game for any team).

We havent been to a bowl in how long? ? ? When we were there last…..could we stop Payton’s little sister? NO.
      Have we done anything since then…NO.
      We cant stop the other team from scoring in almost any realm… and are like dead last/piss poor on “D” as a whole.

The only thing that’s kept us going(with all due respect) is riding the coattails of Brady & an O-line that credit card commercials were “once” made out of.

I for one would with pleasure see the 4-3 switch be brought in!!

We could always drop in a 3-4 sceme now and again when seen fit.

*Sometimes it seem’s with all due respect of course, that being too versitile… and having to many “scemes” is what has actually cost us more trips to the super bowl, as well as one or two more ring’s in said time frame….

Getting back to a more smashmouth style of defense and crunching the oppossing QB sound’s pretty good to me!! Other switches that make me happy……T-B-C is gone : ) Next hopefully will be that Apopka/Lockheart looser Brandon Merriweither!

2. Dan says:

The funny part of doing this exercise is the team is pretty solid…the core; the guys we are talking about making the team or being cut shouldn’t make or break the season.
    I do think that White and Stater make plays on special teams, and if others don’t do the same these guys will find a way on the roster.
    Faulk to me is the big question mark, then Taylor Price. Butler is on thin ice…I’ve been pulling for him, but he hasn’t shown the ability to cover.
    It should be a very good team, again.

3. TomDickHarry says:

Hoyer isn’t going anywhere.

BJGE has value, if the right deal came along I’d part ways…sell high…RB is the easiest position for a rookie to move up a level.

Sammy Morris and Ridley seem to fill the same niche….gotta believe Ridley is the guy.

James Sanders and Jarrad Page are very similar players, the cap hit for Sanders is pretty high for a guy who won’t be a starter….I’d entertain the idea of trading/releasing Sanders and resigning Page.

• JMC says:

Benny is a guy that just keeps getting underestimated. The team is much better off getting him a three year contract-

• Dan says:

Length of contract means very little in the NFL…it’s guaranteed money that counts, then making the team. I gather they’ll keep him, he did a great job and showed he belongs…protected the football, which is huge. It’s Morris, Faulk & Woodhead that have the battle, I see all Morris being the odd man out. My guess will be Ridley will be a stud and take over next year, with Vareen being the change of pace back, 3rd down back.

• Liam says:

no way we’d get more than a late round pick for Law Firm. for example, Tim Hightower went for a 6th. Not worth it.

4. Billy C. says:

Gentleman, trading Hoyer can’t happen because we have to have a back-up quarterback in the NFL (Mallet as a rookie is not that guy “yet”.

• Dan says:

Amen to that…Hoyer stays…this is why they trained him, and he’s looked the part…has skills. If Mallet can show he has what it takes over the next year, then they can talk about moving Hoyer. And, teams will love to have a QB trained in this system! I’m not saying a first rounder, but maybe a late 2nd, or 3rd???

5. AM says:

Seriously doubt that Sammy Morris makes it over Faulk. Even if Morris’s skill set is potentially duplicated by Ridley, and Faulk’s by Woodhead and possibly Vereen, Morris’s productivity (even accounting for blocking) is so much less than Faulk’s that it doesn’t make much sense to keep him around. And that’s before accounting for the fact that any number of off-position players (Connolly, Smith, Crumpler if he returns) can fill in capably as a lead fullback, where Morris has seen much of his time.

Also, wouldn’t be surprised to see one of the unknown interior offensive linemen (Thomas Austin, perhaps) beat out Levoir, especially if Light comes back; the depth at guard is just too shallow compared to the glut at tackle.

• CC says:

Sammy Morris was already re-signed….?

• AM says:

I meant for the final 53-man roster. Faulk has been resigned as well, but I think he’s the only one of the two who makes the final cut.

• Dan says:

Here’s a point I would like the media to clear up: Every player on the practice field HAS to be signed. Being signed does NOT mean you are making the final 53 man roster. Faulk, Morris and others are being given the opportunity to make this team…the competition is clear.

Lee Smith has yet to prove anything to write of a late round, TE blocking in the NFL is not a given. I would consider it one of the harder things to pick up and do well. Therefore, I think there is a chance Alge could combe back. The other thought I had espicially when he was drafted, was that he could make a good OL. We will see.

The Safety position is definitely, one that is going to be shook up. I think if I had my way, I think I’d take Meri, Chung, Page, Brown. Depends what Page wants for her services. As for Sanders at times I think at times he played better than other safeties. But ultimately, this will be a hot position come training camp. A Meri trade wouldn’t be a bad thing.

For the RB’s I do not thing either Morris or Faulk will be back next season. The rost spot is to valueable. Espicially when we tend to use OL/TE combo when on the goal lline. Those duties to me would seem be perfect for Ridley.

While it would be unlikely to carry 3 Qb’s on the roster, I also thing there will be a possible trade including Hoyer, Skins maybe Fins looking for additional help at the position.

If I were the Pats I’m looking to possibly trade Meriwether , BJGE (possibly) and/or Hoyer. Trying to either get a solid younger saftey, OL, DL or OLB.

• tim says:

Wow! With logic like this no rookie would ever make the team. Smith hasn’t proven anything yet because the Pats have only had two – count em -two practices, and zero games. Pretty tough to count someone out when training camp has barely begun. Cut Solder immediately because he has shown even less!!

• Dan says:

And(!), trade your backup in Hoyer and just toss the season away on a rookie. They can carry 3 QB’s…they’ve done it plenty and this situation calls for it, clearly.

• Ryan says:

My point was that its hard to block in the NFL especially for a TE. With short practices, and less time to prepare I think a veteran would be the way to go. (Alge has a been in the NFL “count em” 10 years.) As much as we utilize TE’s.

Secondly, there is a great disparity between a first round pick and a 5th round pick. As far as putting something crucial like run blocking on the table.

• JMC says:

No way I’d trade Benny- – and you would not get value for Hoyer. A Merru trade might be good if they think they have the players in the secondary to replace him. That dude is Maroney- all the athletic ability there is to have, but hard to tell where his head is at and always seems to be out of poistion.

7. NH Max says:

James Sanders is expendable, Sergio Brown came on strong at the end last season. I bet Crumpler comes back at a reduced price.

8. Ratzalot says:

I’d like to see the Pats cut ties with Brian Hoyer and use the roster spot for an extra CB. If Brady were to go down (terrible thought), I’d put Mallett in for the remainder of the season and see what the kid can do. I have a lot of faith in Mallett’s abilities especially in the Patriots’ system.

• JMC says:

I think Hoyer is really good- I think he may even be better than Matt Cassel. I’m not sure they are ready to cut him yet. Another CB/S would be good. I’m not sure they need nine LBs.

• Liam says:

Gah, bad, no! Don’t cut Hoyer. Firstly, without an off season, there’s no way Mallet is ready to take the reins straight away. Also, Hoyer will be a restricted free agent next year, and thus prime trade bait. Don’t just cut him!

9. JMC says:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Crumpler back. They will probably pick-up a few free agents here and there-

• Ratzalot says:

I wouldn’t count on Crumpler coming back with rookie Lee Smith having been signed. Three tight ends is plenty and it doesn’t make sense to have a second blocking TE take up a roster spot. It’s time for the Pats to move on and develop the young TE into a dominant blocker.

• JMC says:

You can go with 4 TE if you use Henandez as a wide out or in the slot for some sets-

• Dan says:

Yes, it doesn’t matter where they line up…it matters if they have a role, and therefore a roster spot.
          This is one of the interesting decisions being made, Lee Smith replacing Crumpler or does he come back. Or, does Smith make the team…can he play? It will play out, but it should be interesting. Either way, they seem set at the position.

• CC says:

Crumpler wasn’t a pass TE but a great block TE. A decent Crumpler replacment to consider could be Zach Miller from Oakland? He’s still available to my knowledge, he caught alot of passes over there the last cpl year’s, and Brady throwing to him would be better than Miller’s previous QB?

Also I’m wondering if Chad Greenway is still on ther market???

We all know we need a “OLB”…

Chad Johnson for a WR was an almost given.
      We got “gift wrapped” Albert Haynesworth….So why not just pay Greenway and seal the deal for that elusive OLB we’ve been missing for some time now? I’d like to have see that move earlier with Greenway and especially now governing Philly just tagged Cullen Jenkin’s as well…After taking BOTH Rogers-Cromarti and Nnamdi Asiago for their backfield and still having Asante Samuals to boot.

• Liam says:

Greenway was franchised, so is not really ‘on the market’. Also, he’s strictly a 4-3 outside linebacker. Unless we really do move to a straight up 4-3, like Ty Warren was suggesting, then he wouldn’t fit our scheme.

10. Coach Bill says:

Losing Faulk is like losing Bruschi and Troy Brown. Stalwarts of championship teams. Hope they find a place for him.

• JMC says:

They should all have a ‘place’ in the Patriots Hall of Fame.

• Ratzalot says:

It’s tough to let go of players near and dear to our football hearts. Unfortunately, everyone gets older and production/health drops off. I hate to say it but it’s now Danny Woodhead’s time to be the pass-catching speedster. Kevin Faulk will be deeply missed, but the Pats must continue forward with whatever is best for the team.

• Dan says:

Faulk is such a unique talent (way under-rated) that he will be given every opportunity to make this team. They want him….he’ll have to show a big drop off not to make the final roster. he’s an amazing talent…can do it all.
      If he’s not recovered he will be cut…it’s that simple.

• munchkin says:

If Ridley plays up to the level I suspect he will BJGE may be expendable (via trade only, otherwise they keep him) and Faulk is on the end of camp roster.