2011 Patriots Roster Prediction

Without any off-season machinations to be analyzing and college football still over two months away, we’ve decided to take an early crack at predicting what the Patriots opening-day roster might look like.

Quarterbacks - Tom Brady, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett (3)

Running Backs - Ben-Jarvus Green-Ellis, Danny Woodhead, Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley (4)

Wide Receivers - Deion Branch, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Taylor Price, Brandon Tate (5)

Tight Ends - Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Alge Crumpler, Lee Smith (4)

Offensive Line - Sebastian Vollmer, Dan Connolly, Dan Koppen, Matt Light, Nate Solder, Logan Mankins, Mark Levoir, Ryan Wendell (8)

Defensive Line - Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Ron Brace, Marcus Stroud, Myron Pryor, Mike Wright, Brandon Deaderick, Kyle Love (8)

Linebackers - Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Jermaine Cunningham, Dane Fletcher, Eric Moore, Gary Guyton, Rob Ninkovich, Markell Carter, Tully Banta-Cain (9)

Cornerbacks - Devin McCourty, Leigh Bodden, Ras-I Dowling, Darius Butler, Kyle Arrington (5)

Safeties - Pat Chung, Brandon Meriweather, James Sanders, Sergio Brown (4)

Specialists - Stephen Gostkowski, Zoltan Mesko, Matt Katula (3)

PUP - Marcus Cannon

Last four in - Darius Butler, Sergio Brown, Markell Carter, Alge Crumpler

Last four out - Tracy White, Matthew Slater, Jonathan Wilhite, Nick Kaczur

I think Butler’s potential eventually gives him the edge over Wilhite, who even at his best is not a starter in the NFL. White and Slater are great on special teams, but Markell Carter should give you everything White does with the added depth at linebacker. Kyle Arrington, with his role looking diminished with the addition of Ras-I Dowling, could again be the special teams demon in place of Slater. Crumpler’s leadership should earn him a spot, especially with rookie TE Lee Smith missing out on a summer’s worth of work.

We’ll certainly know a lot more once a CBA is reached, specifically the fate of important players like Logan Mankins, Kevin Faulk, Nick Kaczur, and Matt Light. Stay tuned!

Tags: Roster Moves

12 Responses to “2011 Patriots Roster Prediction”

1. TD says:

There are going to be quite a few guys saying goodbye with the competition being amped up at: DBack, OLine and RB plus an extra QB and TE perhaps. The older RB’s (Taylor, Morris) along with a couple of CB’s with Bodden & Dowling will be going bye bye.

There is NO way Fletcher OR Love does not make the team. Love was one of the only players to fill in for Wilfork at the true NT. Fletcher could easily replace Spikes next season, especially if he has off the field issues again.

I believe we can carry 3 QB’s and not be penalized for one of them. I think I read that some where. I think we will probably seek Faulk go. Chances are that Cannon starts on pup, and one or two Rookies “get injured” and spend the year on the Pup. Light may be gone too, depends what he is asking. LeVoir and Wendell could be on the outside looking in. I could see BB getting Gallery for cheap, and we all know its possible because its the Raiders. Butler may also be on the outside looking in, especially if Ras has some good practice. Also read some stuff on Ras being able to play FS. If that is the case then I could see Brown out as well.

This I will guarantee, there will be some Rookie probably some of the last few picks, who gets “injured” and sits on Pup for a year.

Plus we have yet to make room for UDFA’s which we will probably bring 6-8 to camp. And keep 2. Herzlich hopefully is one of them.

3. Zach says:

Love and Fletcher will both make the team. Fletcher in particular should see quite a bit of playing time this year. He is a combination of Gary Guyton (quickness) and Brandon Spikes (sure tackling).

• JMC says:

Yes, I don’t see Fleacher getting cut-

• Ryan says:

The kid is everything that epitomizes a Patriots, heart, skill, smarts and work ethic. I would be very disappointed if he slipped through our fingers. But I’m the same person that thinks Spikes is expendable at this point.. But we’ll see.

4. Liam Shaw says:

I agree except i think instead of light and levoir on the OL cannon and kazcur will make it, cannon’s recovery sounds good and light willbe asking too much. Also Kyle Love and Fletcher will be out and mathew slater(special teams demon) and page(will resign) will be in. I could see love and fletcher both bewing on the practice squad though

5. Dan says:

Matt Kaluta could get cut, Lee Smith also Long snapped at Marshall.

6. AM says:

One thing to keep in mind is that we may very well have expanded rosters as a result of any new CBA. That could create spots for players like Faulk, Slater, and Gerard Warren.

• JMC says:

Good point ……..though I see Crupler and G.Warren making the team anyway- K. Faulk could start on PUP. He’s been so great-I’d hate to see him not with the Patriots in some way-

This is a good team but not a SB winning team unless the Ol steps up.
      I hate the Jets but after the last playoff game you have to give their D the edge.

7. Patriots Draft Guru says:

I don’t think both White and Slater will get cut.