Patriots Select Ras-I Dowling

Ras-I Dowling NFL Draft

The newest Patriot defensive back.

After adding an extra 2012 pick and Nate Solder (OT, Colorado) on day one of the 2011 NFL Draft, the Patriots have selected Ras-I Dowling (DB, Virginia).

We had the following to say about Dowling when we made him our top choice for the Patriots in our CB rankings.

If the Patriots are in the market for a physical corner that also has some safety ability, than Dowling is their guy. He is a great tackler that is also adept at re-routing receivers at the line of scrimmage. He’ll thrive playing man, but can also play zone.

Durability is Dowling’s main concern, although he does tend to gamble at times. After the middle of the 2nd round, Dowling would provide some great value.

His height (6’1″) and awareness allows him to be a great jump-ball defender, something that Patriots DB’s have struggled with in the past. Dowling is just the latest corner to be picked in the first couple of rounds by the Patriots.

Tags: Draft Picks, Ras-I Dowling

42 Responses to “Patriots Select Ras-I Dowling”

1. Rob says:

Kinda looks to me that the Pats are trying to get back to the dynasty days, when they had lock down corners (like Law then Samuel), freeing up a lot of people to provide the pass rush. IF Dowling doesn’t turn into another Darius Butler, I like the match up of McCourty / Bodden / Dowling against the other teams best receivers. If those 3 can cover man to man for at least 5 seconds, 2 or 3 can cover the short / middle area, leaving 5 or 6 to rush the passer, using all of Coach B’s pressure tricks. Do you remember Bruschi (now Spikes) coming up the middle? Vrabel (now Cunningham) coming from the outside? Harrison (now Chung or maybe Merriweather) blitzing from the safety position. Brings back some good memories, so let’s hope!!

2. Robertsocor says:

You all seem not to be looking at the big picture, weak draft year+ free agents like T.O. coming ’round+BB and companies ability to STILL produce the best “coached” team in the NFL+massive pull in the draft next year when the talent scouts they pay soooooo much money have already laid out the talent coming forth in the way of RB, WR and OL positions=mondo opportunities for the Pats’ the compliment whoever steps up from this years draft.We waited all these years for Brady and company, lets be patient once again comrades.

• SJD says:

With that logic, the Patriots would have selected a OLB/DE this season and WR/RB/OL next season. Defense was definitely the strength of this draft, and Patriots select one 6th round pass rusher. They take two questionable running backs and skip Mark Ingram. They select two corner backs that almost definitely won’t even start (McCourty&Bodden/McCourty&Arrington). They pick a quarter back who we won’t even be on the field until 2015. They take a tight end when they already have a good blocking tight end and two receiving tight ends.

Now lets assume that the Patriots don’t sign Law Firm, Fred Taylor, Kevin Faulk, let go of D. Butler, Wilhite, Wheatley, Alge Crumpler, and Brian Hoyer. Then all picks other than the offensive line men and the one outside line backer were based on empty rosters not on needs or value.

The NEEDS were OL (addressed) and a pass rush (not addressed). With so many good pass rushers, the question is why couldn’t the problem be addressed? The areas that could use improvement was DL (ends), RBs, and WRs. None of these were fulfilled either. It seems the Patriots only selected based on either roster refills or continuity. Neither helps our 2011 season.

• Tyjax says:

Obviously BB didn’t feel that any of the rush LB’s could do what he wanted this year… overall grade on the draft, B+.

3. edward0383 says:

Well im glad we took Terrence Wheatley……again? Good
    waste of a pick!!!!!

4. Ryan Buske says:

Every time I hear his name I’m going to instantly start to hate Darius Butler, for the pick we wasted on him. I still hope that he can become a good CB, but its looking like that may not happen at this point.

5. Steve says:

They got a nice CB…only had one on the team last year…you need several. If McCourty went down they were done…he saved their season. This kid is long, lean, extremely athletic and experienced….really like the pick.

6. rdf63 says:

What the heck are the Pats thinking. Solder was a good pick at 17 but they get a average cb or rb in 2nd round and another rb in the 3rd round. WE NEED OL, OLB not these type of players.

7. I don’t understand BB’s logic at all. You could have 4-5 Hall of Fame db’s playing together but with no pass rush what help would that be? How many cornerbacks do the Pats need? Very frustrated as I know most Pats fans are .Maybe there won’t be a season this year and BB can take another cornerback or two in next years draft….again

8. paul g says:

Maybe we should trade pick #73 for 3 5th round pick’s for better value

9. paul g says:

When is someone going to take the key’s from grandpa

10. Jeff V says:

I gues Bill forget how pathetic the pass rush was in the playoff game…

11. joe says:

So the pats have 10 RB 10 cb and no WR or olb are u serious

12. joe says:

I can’t believe the pats are no trading up are they really gonna sign 10 people again

13. Jim R says:

o line next

14. bledsoes_ghost says:

And there goes austin..

15. Jared says:

Huge whole at DE & OLB still to fill….and id take hankerson or my guy greg little at wideout. Boling at guard at 74.

16. bledsoes_ghost says:

As for Ras I Dowling… I like his speed and size. He is a long cornerback which is becoming more and more popular in the NFL. I think Dowling is going to be a contender with Bodden/Arrington opposite of McCourty and I mean why not? Of course OLB is ideal, but don’t be surprised when the Pats address the OL again at 56 and maybe a DT at 60… if Marvin Austin is still on the board, I think BB may strike while the iron is hot. Just saying..

• Angry John says:

Nonono, don’t you get it? It is more important to add an inventory fo mediocre players than to address the glaring needs for DE/OLB in a draft loaded with them. I can’t wait to see all of those 2012 draft picks play…………after Brady retires.

Maybe BB is setting up the Mallet era! This draft makes me want to puke. Trades away from stud players, reaches to get a CB, and picks 2 soso Rbs.

• TD says:

What stud players? You mean all those “studs” that no one wanted in the first round they were so good?

17. bledsoes_ghost says:

Justin Houston anyone?

18. cash says:

screw you houston texans

19. Cborden says:

Wow didn’t see that coming…..love the pick should help with bigger stonger receivers in the AFC East. Tape shows great ball skills….ya slippin Mel

• chris says:

What is NE thinking with that pick? should have taken ayers. We could have gotten this guy in the 3rd round

• Tyjax says:

Ayers isn’t a good fit for a read-react defense like the Pats use. Watch some tape on him and you’ll find that he leaves his feet too early and drops his head. Dowling, on the other hand has first round tools and would have been a first round pick if not for the broken ankle last year.

20. Tyjax says:

Love the pick, will help shut down opposing WRs so in affect will help the pass rush. I think we need to get a Reed/Sheard type then OG. Maybe trade a 3rd rounder into next year and pick a WR the our other 3rd round pick. Thoughts?

21. john m. says:

I think they could have got this pick later in the 2nd round. I’m guessing that they didn’t get any good offers for the pick. I’m done making predictions on what NE is going to do because I don’t have a clue anymore! Again, they must have really targeted this pick because the defensive linemen and outside linebacker spot still hasn’t been addressed.

22. joe says:

Wow no olb . We could have deion sanders and Revis but if the qb has 10 seconds to throw the ball it dose not matter who is covering. It’s sad could have had ayers now the pat got to take pitts olb not the same

• Jeff V says:

AGREED….but Bill knows more than you ;) and now Sheard is off the board.

• derek says:

Yeah it is odd that BB did not pick a young pass rusher in the draft. In Bill we trust tho, maybe he is going to just run the same young defence he had on the field last year and build on last year. Can’tn be to cohesive of a unit when your adding new faces ll the time. I like this draft, got younger in the offencive backfield and o-line. Maybe we can improve on that awful record we had last season……… 14-2……eeee

23. Bruschi54 says:

BB has forgotten more about the draft than the rest of us know, but this is pick that it seems we could have made with our second or third pick today with his durability issues. Hopefully he is another McCourty, but this is odd pick at this point. Teams must be reluctant to deal with BB for fear of being fleeced, hopefully pass rusher to come soon.

24. Jeff V says:

Love the pick…he projected as a 1st rounder before he was injured before his injury. Kiper said he doesnt have good ball skills? Has anyone else heard this? That would concern me since that is the isssue with Butler.