Mikel Leshoure Visits Patriots

Mikel Leshoure NFL Draft

Is Mikel Leshoure the next Corey Dillon or closer to Laurence Maroney?

Former Illinois running back Mikel Leshoure made a visit to the New England Patriots facilities today, according to a report from Ian Rappaport of the Boston Herald.

Leshoure was a somewhat surprising early entry into the 2011 NFL Draft, but has been steadily climbing up many draft boards of the NFL Draft media members.

A bigger back at 5’11″ and 227 pounds, Leshoure would project to be a brusining 3-down runner for the Patriots a la Corey Dillon. He has some skills in the passing game, but isn’t quite in the same class as Kevin Faulk and Danny Woodhead.

We’ve compared Leshoure to Laurence Maroney before, which never makes Patriots fans happy. Leshoure has questionable (to be nice) vision in our opinion, and produces too many negative plays. Compared to a Ben-Jarvus Green-Ellis, i’m not sure that Leshoure would be much of an upgrade.

Tags: Official Visit

20 Responses to “Mikel Leshoure Visits Patriots”

1. Nick C. says:

I am very high on Leshoure; he averaged 6 yards per carry, 17 TDs, and no fumbles. My favorite thing about him is that he explodes through the line. I think we should stop comparing him to Maroney and start comparing him to Rashard Mendenhall. That’s the reason why Illinois wanted him and gave him the number 5. Their college stats for their junior year are almost identical.

I could see the Pats taking him at pick 28, but pick 33 seems more likely.

2. rdf63 says:

Good player but not considering until #60. With Ingram’s knee problems there are no running backs to even look at before #60 and Williams may be a better pick. Wouldn’t be surprised to see the Pats use a 3rd round pick. The Pats MUST focus on rebuilding the OL because in two years Vollmer will probably be the only remaining OL from last years team.

3. Jared says:

I think Ryan Williams can be your feature back, you trade that 28th or 33rd pick for multiple picks, you can get him in the 2nd round.

4. Mike Roberts says:

You can take #28 out of the equation. It’s almost a given that it will be sent elsewhere for xtra picks. I’d look for a RB in rounds 3-4. Any back at that point will have some concerns but with upside.

5. Liam says:

Cedric Benson in FA? Some uncanny parallels to Corey Dillon there. Free Agency almost certainly won’t occur untill after the draft though, so a Vereen/Hunter/Todman etc. in rnd 3-4 seems about right to me. Complementary back for our comittee.

6. bill says:

i disagree BJGE and woodhead are the answer they are only part of the answer get 1 more solid rb and you have a solid backfield

7. Bill says:

Unless his middle name is Angelohhh, I want the Pat’s to wait until at least Day Three to draft a RB.

8. bledsoes_ghost says:

Free agency… whenever its a real thing again

9. Jim R says:

They will take a flyer on somebody. 4-6th round. I think BB will go the F/A route with RB

10. JMC says:

LeShoure would be a good situational RB I think; 3rd or 4th and short.

11. John M says:

All of a sudden it seems like it’s not a sure thing that Miami takes Ingram with the 15th pick overall. If he’s available at #28, is it a no brainer to take him? If LeShoure makes it down to #60 would that be a better value than taking Ingram at #28? The nice thing about this scenario is that if neither RB makes it down to those picks, then you grab the best available in the 3rd or 4th round or you go the FA route.

• Jared says:

i take Ingram at 28 if hes there…his long term health is his biggest flaw…but a lot of scouts still say Ingram is a top 10 talent. 28 would be a good spot-value wise to snag the best RB in the draft.

12. Jared says:

It seems like out of the top 10 RB prospects coming out, all of them seem to have question marks. If i was the Patriots, i would pass on every one of them, and make grabbing one running back a priority in free agency. Running backs are traditionally one of the easier positions to acquire in free agency/trade. C.Dillon, A.Smith, D.Woodhead.

Ken:
    My thoughts exactly, BJGE and Woodhead are NOT the answer. But I don’t thinking taking a RB in our first three picks is the answer either. Personally, I agree Todman, Vereen, Murray are all solutions that could be had 3-5, which I like better.

If LeShoure is there for our last pick of the second, I might think about it. But honestly, he is not my favorite back in the draft. To be honest, I see Ingram being there at 28 and possibly at 33.

14. Ken W says:

At what point in the draft are you guys ok with drafting him? I would say anywhere after the middle of the 2nd round, but I think there are a bunch of other RB’s that can be had in the 3rd and 4th that could also be very good picks.

15. Josh says: