Choose, Snooze, or Refuse: WR

Edmond Gates NFL Draft

Can Edmond Gates fit in with the high-powered New England offense?

For the next ten days, until the 2011 NFL Draft is upon us, we’ll be going over ten positions that the Patriots might look at. We’ll give you who the Patriots should choose early, late (snooze), or not at all (refuse).

Chime in with your choices in the comments section.

Choose – Tandon Doss, Indiana

If Brandon Tate or Taylor Price isn’t the future, then Doss in the third round would be our guy. If the Patriots feel that Tate and Price will continue (or start) to develop, then they probably won’t draft a receiver to begin with.

Doss is a smooth, smart, and consistent receiver that has the potential to be a great #2 WR in the NFL.

Snooze – Edmond Gates, Abilene Christian

Pure speed can play in the NFL – see Mike Wallace and Jacoby Ford for recent examples. Gates also has some solid receiving ability, in addition to his ridiculous athleticism, although his hands and route-running will need some cleaning up in the NFL.

Like Delone Carter t hough, Gates has some character issues to deal with. Add that to his inconsistent hands and you have an intriguing prospect in the 4th round or so.

Refuse – Titus Young, Boise State

Young is similar to Gates, but won’t fall past the 2nd Round. We’re not going to advocate drafting a diva receiver in the first 60 picks with so many defensive players available, regardless of his deep ability.

Tags: ,

26 Responses to “Choose, Snooze, or Refuse: WR”

1. Steve says:

I have had the pleasure of seeing just about every game Dwayne Harris has played over the last 4 years, and I have to say this guy has major talent, a tremendous work ethic, and top notch carachter. He is an absolute beast after the catch initiates contact and runs over DB’s like they are flies. He puts his head down and runs with aggression like Adrian Peterson. Slot receiver would be a great fit in the 3rd-4th round. He is the next Troy Brown just bigger and more physical. He also is a top notch PR/KR,09 CUSA special teams player of the year can throw a good deep ball out of the wildcat (I know, I know…just saying) The draft gurus like to say he is slow (4.58) but he has FOOTBALL Speed. From the Pirate Nation to the Pats would be a smooth transition, he also has never had a great QB like Tom Brady to work with, doing the best he could with Patrick Pinkney and Dominique Davis, both not NFL talents. Whoever picks him is getting a productive NFL slot receiver for the next 10 years.

2. SJD says:

I think it’s safe to say; predicting what BB is going to do with draft picks is as sure-thing as Brian Hoyer starting in the 2011 season. Possible, but very unlikely.

On that note, Titus Young isn’t necessarily a refuse IMO. Pats traded for Randy Moss despite his attitude (granted they traded him for it too). A snooze possibly, but I don’t think a refuse. Same goes for Baldwin.

Any receiver won’t be drafted before the 4th round anyway. If I had to guess, the Patriots will trade one of their 1st round picks for a future first and a couple 2nd/3rd round picks, which they will use on DE/OLB/OL. I disagree with the people saying BB will draft a RB (especially those saying he’ll draft Mark Ingram). Sure a power RB would be a great addition to the Patriots, but it isn’t even close to a necessity. Ben Jarvus Green-Ellis and Danny Woodhead did a fine job last season, so an improvement isn’t exactly necessary. Plus Fred Taylor will be healthy (if he’s still under contract?).

Looks like they’ll give Price and Tate another year of development before drafting a franchise WR. With that being said, Greg Little is a good choice at the earliest pick they’re willing to use on a WR.

• Jared says:

Taylor, Faulk, and Morris, are all free-agents.
      I feel they need somebody that can be somewhat of an all-purpose guy. Both Green-Ellis and Woodhead are somewhat of one-trick-ponys. They need someone who they can plug in on any down, whether thats a rookie, or a free-agent, may depend on who is available when the Patriots pick next weekend.

3. Ryan Buske says:

A few other guys I have on my radar:
    Derell Johnson-Koulonous (his misfortune makes for a good steal)
    Terrence Tolliver – good height and speed
    Armon Binns – if he has a good quarterback he is a different player.

I have to admit I like Little and Pettis as well, I think we would be a fool as a team not to take at least ONE WR…

Get hit the bullseye (jerry rice type) if you never throw a dart, and for WR’s it seems like thats just the case.

4. Phil says:

Ricardo Lockette might prove to be a good WR on the next level. You can’t coach speed and that kid has it. His hands were a “big” weakness going into the combine…but he caught just about every ball they threw at him and he did it with his hands not his body. interesting prospect to wait in the wings til his route running is up to snuff. but who knows some team will probably draft him too high based off his 40 time and he won’t mature properly. there is not a lot of tape on him so maybe he will slip to the 5th/6th…fingers crossed lol

5. AM says:

Choose: Dwayne Harris, East Carolina. If he’s available in the 4th round, he’d be a steal. Great size/speed combination, excellent hands, top level intangibles. An excellent successor to Deion Branch, when the time comes.

Snooze: Gates, although I don’t think that it will be much of a snooze; he may go as high as the third round given the press he’s been getting.

Refuse: Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh. Makes Titus Young look humble–major character and attitude concerns, poor route running, mediocre work ethic at best. Size and speed mean nothing if you’re just in it for the signing bonus.

• Jeff says:

Dwayne Harris will likely go in the 5th round so we could easily get him in the 4th.

• AM says:

If he’s available in the 5th round, that would be fantastic, but he might not last all the way until #159. All in all, there are a number of players I would rather have in the 4th than any wideout, but I like Harris’s potential nonetheless.

6. TD says:

Unless BB trades someone, any WR that comes in this year will have an insurmountable climb up the depth chart. They would be #7 on the depth chart and would need to beat out Slater and Edleman on special teams.

Not saying he would do it but the only real tradeable players we have are Welker, Branch, Edelman and Tate. Then again, who would have thought he would have traded Moss last year?

7. Ken W says:

I think Tate and Price are going to develop just fine so if we do pick a WR I would pick one till after the 4th. I also think we have plenty of quick and shifty WR’s so I think a deep threat or bigger WR is needed to balance out the receiving corps. I like Terrance Toliver out of LSU as a 4-6 round pick that might be able to fill that roll.

• Jeff says:

Tolliver is one on my radar also, as he’d be cheap and has the size and leadership qualities. Sit him on the bench and let him learn and we’ll have a nice downfield option in the wings! He’s slated for late 5th round. That’d be worth it to me.

8. Phil says:

Anybody else interested in Austin Pettis? This kid is big and is a playmaker. Perfect compliment to our little “shorties”. He isn’t blazing fast but he can jump out the building. Might be worth a 4th round pick.

• Ryan Buske says:

I read a little about him, and I have to admit I was also impressed. I have yet to see any video.

• Patriots Draft Guru says:

Love Pettis – exactly what the Patriots would be looking for in the 4th/5th.

• Bruschi54 says:

Totally agree on Pettis, have seen about 10 Boise State games over the last 2 years and really like him. Also agree that we don’t need another slot guy, but Cobb from Kentucky might be worth a look if he is still around come round 4.

• Jeff says:

Pettis would be the guy for me in round 3. I also like Salas but feel he might be too much of what we’ve got already with our slot guys and Hernandez.
          I like what Price brings to the table as well as Tate, but I wouldn’t mind rolling the dice on a low round bigger receiver that can go get the jump balls.

Speaking of which, how does anyone feel about DeAndre Brown?
          He’ll most likely go 7th round or undrafted but the guy is 6’6″ 220.
          He’s had a couple injuries and some questions around him but the guy is massive! Why not take a roll on a guy like this?

9. TD says:

I would pass until we have a DE, OLB, OL & RB.

I don’t think we need another slot receiver;we already have NFL’s best plus Edelman in the wings.

10. JR says:

Little will go in round 2. They will take a flyer on Rb/WR’s in rounds 4-7 There is some talent to be had in those rounds. Price/Tate will have a big years.

11. Josh says:

Greg Little

• JD says:

I agree – Greg Little could be a decent pick, if he checks out character wise. He may need some time to develop. But he’s definitely got the size and talent.

• Jared says:

Greg Little, couldn’t have said it better myself. Want that kid to be a Patriot

• Patriots Draft Guru says:

Why the love for Little?

• Jared says:

I feel that with all the patriots picks, they are one of the few teams that can take risky players. Little is a risky prospect, he missed all of last season. But I don’t care about last season, R.Quinn will be a top 10 pick, he also missed last year. The Patriots had good success the last couple of years drafting guys whos stock had fallen a bit for different reasons. Gronkowski the best example, missing all of his last season of college.
        Besides the pats having a truck load of picks as usual, i want Greg Little for one reason, I think he can be a star. He could be a bust, but he is one of the greatest unkowns in this draft. One of the best athletes in the draft, and is an absolute beast-6’3″+,230 pounds, and put up 27 reps at the combine, by far the most as any WR. He has the body of a tight end, but still runs a flat 4.5sec 40. He has unbelievable measurables, Chad Jackson did too….and that scares me.
        We all figure the pats will take a flyer on a wideout somewhere next weekend, Greg Little can be an absolute star with Tom Brady, the Patriots need what a guy like Little can bring, a physical player that can throw guys like Revis off of them at the line of scrimmage. Also, a deep threat with his speed. And you would have to believe with his size, that he could be a devastating blocker for a WR on most NFL corners.
        The Pats have the luxury of after trading out of at least one of their first 3 picks this year, picking up more picks to maybe take a chance on a guy like Little at pick 60 or pick 74. A lot WR prospects this draft in the lower rounds, i feel that all of them are somewhat of a gamble, there are only 2 sure things in this class. So if i’m going take one of those guys, it’s going to be Little- he will be a bust, or a stud.With a million picks every year, and Tom Brady at quarterback, i’ll take a risk.

*/ ?>