Ryan Williams Targeted by Patriots

Ryan Williams NFL Draft

Ryan Williams is a possible addition to the Patriots stable of running backs

The Patriots will have a private workout with Virginia Tech running back Ryan Williams in the near future, according to comments made by Williams.

Williams has struggled with injuries (hamstring) in the past, but nobody can argue with his talent. The former Hokie is a truly violent runner that can pound the ball inside, while having skills in the passing game as well.

His 4.59 combine speed shows he isn’t a burner, but his power more than offsets his perceived lack of breakaway speed.

He finished his career at Virginia Tech with 30 TD’s and over 2000 yards – totaling 1655 yards and 21 TD’s in an incredible sophomore campaign.

For more information, check out our 2011 Patriots Draft Contacts page.

Tags: ,

16 Responses to “Ryan Williams Targeted by Patriots”

1. Bill S says:

Daniel Thomas would be a very good complement to what we have already. Good runner, lots of carries, pushes the pile. He’s versatile, having been a QB in JC, and he can catch, and be a factor coming out of backfield or staying back and blocking. 230 pounds. And he could be available at #60, which is 1st spot I’d look for a RB.

• Jeff says:

I’d agree on the 60th spot for RB. I’d like them to possibly consider OL there as well, but if the value is good and Thomas is the guy then go.
      I’ve heard comparisons to Correy Dillion about Thomas, which makes me smile.
      He’s a big dude and if he can catch and pass protect, then I’d say go for him. Shane Vereen is the other back I have in mind. Either of those would be good for me.

2. Ken W says:

I think Daniel Thomas would be the perfect fit for us in the 3rd round. Has been banged up a little so hasn’t worked out during the combine and pro-day schedule. Bigger back that runs hard and still has pretty good speed. Think he would be able to do it all, run inside or out, carry the load or be in the rotation, has the size to pass block, and can catch the ball pretty well. Has what I think, expert by no means, excellent vision and sets up blocks well and change of direction speed. Go get this guy.

3. Common Cent$ says:

I would like a back who hasn’t had major medical problems as Williams has had in the past. I’ve had our 74th pick slotted for a RB since I found this site. I don’t think any of the top prospect are fast enough to warrant first round consideration. Some how, all the experts think 4.55 to 4.6 is acceptable for a first or second rd. prospect’s 40 time;as is the case with Ingram,LeShoure,and Williams. Jordan Todman,Shane Vereen,Kendall Hunter, and DeMarco Murray should all be available at 74. I prefer any one of them over taking one the top three at 17,28,33 or 60.

4. John M. says:

I would like to see the Patriots get Mikel LeShoure in the second round. They would have to move their 60th pick in the middle 40’s to get him if he’s still there. I would not use the 33rd pick to get him .

• Jeff says:

I wouldn’t touch Leshoure unless he hits the 3rd round. Williams, Vereen and Murray are all better options that he is I think, and lower cost most likely.

5. TD says:

BJGE is good power runner, but not much on passing downs, at least not like Woodhead. Another RB will probably be drafted since Free Agency is in the toilet right now. I like Murray of Okla, he is fast and caught a lot of balls.

• CC says:

It’ll be interseting to see what happens with The Law Firm and his running ability when they start playing with the O-line being shifted around again, nevermind without Mankin’s.

6. iceman says:

I didn’t say I didn’t like BJGE, I said Williams would give us a little more. IE Size, speed and power. He is also younger. I don’t expect a RB to come in take snaps from the guys we have now. I just want to develop one for the future and I really like this kid. He is the opposite of Laurence Maroney which I really like.

• CC says:

You don’t re-tool the o-line, it makes no differance what happens at the RB possition!
      Two guards and a Tackle down………….Yah’ i’d say without question that one is necessary in specific regard’s of A/. simple “insurance” in case either Woody of the LawFirm get injured. B/. Becuase alot of what the Pat’s have like it or not has become somewhat predictable-so another would be needed in regard’s to possably something differant for the other teams to be aware of and throw them off, and C/. All around actual success. The Pat’s need a REAL POWER RUNNING BACK-ala Corry Dillon/Antwon Smith. That’s what work’s and made the rest able to click as well…..
      -Not having to pass all the time and leave room for error’s tipped passes interception’s and incomplete’s VS running it up the gut for that two and three yard’s getting the 1st. Eating up the clock when ahead……They don’t just need another running back, they don’t just need a little bigger or a little more speed, they need alot BIGGER OF ONE!

7. iceman says:

He was one of the best RB’s in the Nation as a RS freshman. His idol is Walter Payton. I really lik this kid. I think he would give us a little more than BJGE.

8. John says:

Last year, the league’s highest rusher and the league’s highest rookie rusher were both UDFA’s.

Since our two given RB’s were undrafted, does anyone have any idea what this year’s UDFA RB’s would look like?

• cash says:

That could be a problem, because the league decertified no free agents can be signed, including UNDRFATED free agents.

But I do agree with your point, a couple months ago i wrote a long post how I think that drafting RBs early is the biggest waste. I like this kid but not before the 3rd round.

9. Bruschi54 says:

When healthy he is a stud, would be great 4th round selection.

*/ ?>