Patriots Draft Mockumentary – Volume 2

Adrian Clayborn NFL Draft

This Iowa defensive end is the only prospect to make multiple appearances in this edition of the NFL Draft Mockumentary.

While we have our own three round 2011 NFL Mock Draft for all the Patriots fans to look at, it’s always good to get a second (or sixth) opinion.

We compiled a short list of five of the most trusted mock drafts out there for you to check out.  Read what they have to say about each of their first choices after the jump.

Site

Patriots 1A  (Oak)

Patriots 1B

Walter Football (Greg) Tyron Smith, OT, Southern Cal Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
Pat Kirwan J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
With the 1st Pick Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
Draft Daddy Anthony Castonzo, OT, BC Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
NFL Draft 101 Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

Walter Football on Smith – “A bold move notwithstanding, they have to protect Tom Brady. Tyron Smith is a rising prospect standing out in a deep, but certainly not top-heavy tackle class.”

Pat Kirwan on Watt – “At 6-foot-5 and 290 pounds, with 34-inch arms and a size-11 hand, Watt has the physical credentials the Patriots like. They can come back for an offensive tackle later in the round.”

With the First Pick on Jordan – “Cameron Jordan is a guy that is scheme versatile and can come in and line up at the 5-technique. He has the thick frame required to hold the point, and the hand and foot quickness to penetrate the backfield. With his experience in the 3-4, he’ll make the players around him better, and in a hurry.”

Draft Daddy on Castonzo – Pats have never really reloaded the left side of their offensive line, Castonzo is a steady pick.

NFL Draft 101 on Kerrigan – “Kerrigan was ultra productive during his time with the Boilermakers, and he would be a good fit in an organization like New England’s. Aldon Smith (Missouri) is another pass rusher the Patriots could look at.”

Tags: ,

35 Responses to “Patriots Draft Mockumentary – Volume 2”

1. NEPD says:

Hey guys – hate to ask again, but I need a few more responses to this survey to keep some advertisers happy. Any help is appreciated – should only take a minute.

2. Bill says:

Please move on…

This draft candidate was OVERWEIGHT at HIS NFL COMBINE.

If the Pat’s draft wants someone who lacks the discipline to be a member of the TEAM…Then we might as well ask for…

• BILLY C. says:

Which draft candidate are you talking about since there have been many mentioned on this thread?

3. Pete says:

I’m hoping Tyron Smith falls to us at 17, but if he doesn’t I won’t surprised if we take Wilkerson with that pick. It may be a bit of a reach, but i don’t think he’ll be available at 28. He’s the ideal fit for the Pats DE.

4. mike says:

Oh ya, for the guy who said Watt will definitely be there at 17 th. I believe I heard talks on NFL network that there is little chance of him getting out of top 10. I don’t necessarily agree, but possibility of Watt not being there is there, dont be surprised.

• John says:

If you watch NFLN, there are currently about 20-25 guys that will not make it out of the top 10.

The key determination is where will the QB’s go. Four of them are legit to go before 17. Likewise, the QB question will play a key part at 28 and 33. That is where the QB needy teams will go if none of the QB’s are taken early.

5. mike says:

Except in that scenario you are still missing an OT which is much more important position than guard.

This year is a good draft up to the third round minnesota pick, there is plenty of talent especially with our position of need. Olb, dl, ot, og, cb. RB aside from ingram is not impressive going there 4th to late third would probably work out. WR is a hard position to project . Also the biggest bust rate. Remember, Price was a third rounder, he may be better than we think.

Interesting piece of info i would like to add. Willie Mcginest, our only real OLB within the last decade or so is coaching this second rounder talent named : Chris Carter. Who is said to fit 34 scheme, also very talented. BB may go that route with risky OLB position. Opinions? ( look i never watched carter play, all of this is from ESPN article ) .

6. Ken W says:

what do you guys think of this:
    #17 JJ Watt
    #28 Carimi
    #33 Kerrigan if he falls or trade for 2012 first rounder
    #60 Stefen Wisniewski OL interior
    #74 Daniel Thomas RB, big back that runs hard. check him out if you haven’t seen him before.

7. DWE says:

The question is…..does BILL BELICHEK have any BALL’S????

• John says:

The real question is…..does DWE have any brains?

Amazing that you would actually post these “thoughts”. maybe Matt Millen would be impressed.

How many points is that?

8. DWE says:

** Respectivelly, JJ Watt “should” be their at 17, so this “shouldn’t” be an issue at all really for the one.

Simply trade up for the other two….USE ALL OF THEM if need be & work in a Pouncey and Castonzo, Take THREE MONSTER’s and WALK.
    Walk away with three monster’s and say thank you, and we’ll see ya’ on the field!
    -Using the CBS draft projected……
    Watt is currently projected at #16 and worth 1,000.
    Pouncey is currently projected at # 21 and worth 800.
    Castonzo would be projected at #13 and worth 1150.

*Technically this is only 2,950 on the draft board for all three!
    * & We have 2,936 worth, were not far off. and i’d throw in a next year pick to have enough to go over the total projected and if not guarauntee to be over and have enough. We’d still have four pick’s next year.

It can be done several way’s of course…….but on the Quick; #74 and #33 is worth 800, and Pouncey is projected at 21…..that’s worth ……..
    800. DONE.
    Watt uses up the #17. DONE.

and the rest combined total is worth 1,138 on the board……..
    Since Castonzo is projected at going overall the 13th and that’s worth 1,150…… toss in a next year if we must and move into the top, grab Castonzo early and first.

Castonzo, Watt and Pouncy….have a good day.
    DONE, THREE MONSTER’S and WALK.

9. DWE says:

With The First Pick and The Draft Daddy are more on point than the rest…., especially more than anyone who’s calling for a wide out to be picked within the first three if not four pick’s….

We walk away with Watt, Castonzo, and Pouncey and were doing good.

As long as we get these three…….after that it can be a crap shoot for all I care.
    The handfull of compensatory pick’s can go for whatever as well.

• Ken W says:

If we ended up with those 3 it would be an A++ draft. Unless some how, I don’t know how, but we got quinn, watt, and castonzo. Pipe dream I know.

10. TD says:

I’m in a quandry; I like Pouncey, Carimi and Sherrod, but outside of Mankins BB has taken OL’s in second round or later and coached the bezesus out of them.
    DLine is a different story altogether, mostly first and second rounders ready to plug in or really later rounds and FA’s to fill back up roles.
    I still really like Kerrigan over Smith at OLB, as he’s more NFL ready and may be available even after 17th pick. I don’t think we can wait till Smith develops his game at OLB.

• DWE says:

The CBA has clearly put a wrench into the work’s, but one way or the other….
      they are in fact going to have to pay out the nose in free agency to fill the spot’s they need after suffering injuries to many differant guy’s as well as loosing Kazur, Neal and soon enough Light. Mankin’s is still a little soap opera playing out, but they’ve lost 5 guy’s as it stand’s nevermind the missing OLB and DE…..Either way this goes, unless the god’s bestow upon Foxboro……They will either pay out the nose or just plain suffer and do without.

11. cash says:

I would love tyron smith, hes gonna be a stud in this league. Hes only 20 years old! doubt he drops that far though.

12. pats says:

except maybe one of OT picks, all picks pretty bad

13. John M says:

What package of picks(including our 17th pick) do you think it will take to get Minnesota’s 12th spot or St. Louis’s 14th spot? I’m asking because there’s a small chance Quinn or another player drops lower than expected. If Minnesota is set on getting a QB and Newton and Gabbert are gone, they might want to move down in the draft.

• NEPD says:

It would take pick #74 (Minnesota’s original 3rd) and change.

• BKBuddha says:

Im a Lions fan living in Mass. I know , I know.. Anyway how about pick Det picks #13 and #44 for NE pick #17, #33, #60. That will still leave NE with 2 first round picks (13&28).

• John M says:

I think we would be giving up too much. I almost think we could try giving the Lions only the 17th and 33rd picks for the trade. The 33rd pick is worth more than you think. BB will be getting plenty of offers for the first pick of the second day of the draft.

• Paul says:

NE won’t give up the 33rd pick to move up, that is too valuable of a chip being the first pick of Day 2. They will almost certainly keep it to pick a talented player who fell out of the first round, or trade back later into the second round.

14. TD says:

If they don’t get a new CBA before the draft, I think a lot of QB needy teams will be reaching in top of draft for one, which means all those top tier players will fall down about 4-5 spots and that will mean top talent falling to us at all positions, yes even WR and CB.

I dont like the Adrian Clayborn pick as many of you may know. I’d rather have Christian Ballard from the Hawkeyes thatn Adrian. As for, the first pick I have to admit I’d like to see an OL. Who knows if Tyron Smith will be there, but I also like Costanzo. I also like Watt and Kerrigan

16. Ken W says:

I think they all have the right idea with the DE and OL combo in the first. I started off not a big JJ Watt fan but the more I read and watched I have become a huge fan and think he would be the best pick at #17.

Then with #28 come back with the best o-lineman that is available. I don’t think Smith will be available and Im not a big Solder fan, so Carimi, Castonzo, or even Pouncey, but I really like Stefen Wisniewski as a 2nd round pick for the interior of the OL.

17. Ian says:

I think Jordan, Smith and Watt would be solid choices at 17…With that said does anyone know much about Martez Wilson? He’s an ILB at 6’4, 247 and ran a 4.5 at the combine. We didn’t hear much about Mayo leading up to the draft could Wilson be another guy that the Pats pick that we didn’t see coming?

• Cam says:

Wilson is definitely a good player, but he’s an ILB and we basically already have our inside set with Guyton, Spikes, and Mayo. If he could make the transition to an OLB, then I would completely agree with this

18. John M says:

Since I’m not the only John submitting comments, I’ll add my first letter of my last name from now on. I’m the John that hopes to get LeShoure in the early second round. I would love to get Cameron Jordan with the 17th pick but I would also accept Aldon Smith if Jordan was taken. Why are there some doubters out there with Aldon Smith?

• TD says:

The doubters on Aldon Smith see a sophmore coming out of college. It’s hard for a senior, hell hard for vets to get this defense and thrive especially at the OLB spot. Also, I beleive Smith was a 4-3 DE which requires a lot of scrutiny and projecting, not a great formula for success. I think Kerrigan is more pro ready than Smith.

19. TD says:

Hard to say what teams will do if CBA is not done before the draft, as a new CBA will most likely have rookie wage scale and teams may be more willing to move up and/or take fliers or reach.

I would expect BB would have a plan for this scenario and move around the board in order to get some more 2nd rounders if that is where some quality DL and OL guys will be. He definitely likes the big boys in round 1 and guys like McCourtey don’t come around a lot so I think it will be big bodies at the point of attack.

Jordan would be great, but may not be there, but Kerrigan may.

20. CoachBill says:

With the 1st Pick nailed it!

• John M says:

I totally agree that “with the 1st pick” got it right. If Anthony Constanzo was still around with the 28th pick, I would pick him first. It’s more likely that Constanzo will be gone by then and Carimi will be the best OT at #28.

21. Billy C. says:

The one pick that jumps out at me is Pat Kirwan’s pick of Torrey Smith at 28. I haven’t seen much of maryland this year but I certainly hope we’d pick an O-lineman at this point. Is there any way someone can justify this pick?

• Patriots Draft Guru says:

Torrey Smith is a bad pick there. The other 9 I’d be happy with, although NEPD isn’t sure Clayborn can make it as a 3-4 DE.

*/ ?>