NEPD Radio: Talking Offense

Gabe Carimi and John Moffitt

Two of these Wisconsin Badgers (#68 and #74) could be targets for the Patriots this April.

This Tuesday, we’ll be back with our third edition of NEPD Radio. Our past episodes, which you can still download and listen to at our NEPD Radio page or in the player below, focused mainly on the defensive side of the ball.

However, we’ll be switching it up this episode and looking at the guys that might help Tom Brady turn in another MVP season in 2011.

On the docket will be some of the best receivers and running backs that would fit in with the Patriots system and current roster, as well as a lengthy look at the offensive line.

As always, we’ll be taking your questions via Twitter, call-in, or the comments below.

Catch up on our latest episode here, or listen live at 11pm eastern Tuesday night.

Listen to internet radio with nepd on Blog Talk Radio

Tags:

25 Responses to “NEPD Radio: Talking Offense”

1. Mike says:

I’m not saying Jordan should play an OLB.

Look at any scouting sites for Aldon Smith reports, and look at the tape. You must be crazy, or related to Smith to be in love with this guy. Patriots is not going to draft a 1 down player at the 17th position, period. You don’t have to agree with me, look at the facts. If your believing simply out of loyalty for any website, you know very little of football.

All I hear is opinions and bashing, how about any evidence to refute any of my points.
    -Smith cannot cover
    -Smith have poor and inconsistant tackling techniques
    -Smith cannot set the edge (meaning giving up outside run, which also means home run liabilities)

The only upside we can all agree on his pass rush. Still, how good is he standing up? What experience does he have on 3-4 system?

With all that said, believe what you want. But do try to look at facts?

On another note, saw Kerrigan and Sam Acho on ESPN, for that All-Star gig they do every yearh. Acho is much quicker and agile than he seems and certainly suprised me. Kerrigan, was a little less flexible but also much quicker than I thought, and he has certainly bulked up or so it seemed.

• Steve says:

Yes, Acho looked like a nice prospect for the end of 2nd to the 4th round, and you can add in he comes from a Muschamp program; although, I’m not sure how many players BB has ever drafted from him, if any.
      He did look like a nice player…skills.

3. Steve says:

I would love to see Aldon Smith, if he’s a good kid, because he has the tools and will have the best teacher/coach. I see him developing into an every-down player, but fans will have to possibly wait a year, or so for his full potential to come out. I’m willing to wait on someone with his skills; at the beginning we could just let him loose on passing downs. He has the ability to knock down passes or at least get the QB thinking…he doesn’t always have to record the sack.
    He’s special, he’s #2 right behind Quinn on my wish list

• Ryan says:

That darn Quinn kid, I’d love to have him on our team. Even Marvin Austin, which may be a second round steal. All the tools, maybe he will slip (finger crossed).

4. Bruschi54 says:

Seems like most Pats fans don’t have much interest in Ryan Kerrigan any longer at OLB, I still think he would be a very solid selection. I also agree with TDH, Justin Houston is very complete OLB and would be great pick at #28. Houston has shown that he is solid in coverage and vs the run, and has the size that BB covets at the position. Romeus from Pitt has shown flashes as elite pass rusher, but not the other all around skills that Houston has. If BB evaluates Phil Taylor highly in personal workouts, and is still not sold on Ron Brace I think it is very possible that the Pats would go in that direction with their first pick with the value he places on the DL.

• Phil says:

I am a big fan of UGA and Justin Houston was one of the few bright spots on their defense this year. I am not completely sold on him because i think he lacks consistency. There were some times where he looked a head above everybody else and times where he was invisible. I think he would be a nice pick in Rd 2 but not 1st. I still like Kerrigan as a project to switch to the 34 OLB, and i hope the hype dies down about him so we can get him lower. I think BB will stick with Brace for a little longer because he was contributing before he got hurt. I think if Mike Wright is done, Taylor will be one of our Top 4 picks. It does seem like this draft is deep on both lines which could favor us greatly. Now fix the dang CBA! LOL

5. Sciz says:

I’m completely with Tom on this one. Get Aldon!

6. TomDickHarry says:

I would like NEPD to check out Aldon Smith’s tape and take note of how well he creates space at the POA, he uses good hand placement and his long arms to his advantage which keeps O-linemen off his pads, he plays a lot stronger than some people suggest, hhhhrumph.

Setting the edge is as much about effort and technique as it is bulk, he has the strength and the effort, the technique could improve but he’s not as deficient as some suggest.

Smith also lines up over the OG and uses an inside-out move to blast into the backfield….the tools are all there, his ceiling is extremely high, remember all the hype around JPP last year? Well, Smith is more deserving of that type of hype.

It’s possible he goes ahead of NE in which case we better hope that Jordan or Watt fall to 17 and that Justin Houston falls to 28 (and who is suggesting Jordan would be an OLB? Where’s that coming from?).

• NEPD says:

That’s a great question TDH – Jordan is a 5-tech DE and little else.

• Steve says:

I agree, but somebody on local Boston sports TV recently suggested he could play OLB and I was shocked, but I forget who it was. I wish I remember who it was…Comcast or some station doing a short piece on Pats potential picks.

7. Phil says:

The whole question on Aldon Smith will be attitude…if his ego is blown up or if he dumb then no way the pats take him…but if he is smart and possesses the intangibles needed to play OLB in our 34 then he’s worth the gamble. We need gamers!!

FYI not that i am defending Mike but when was the last time any of those guys called a Pats draft correctly? Not one of them had us picking McCourty last year…unless i am sorely mistaken. Gresham is who i remember them saying we were gonna take, or Sergio Kindle…so they may cover the draft well but that don’t project it well. LOL EIther way doesnt matter, enough picks to reload and bring in some more depth to the different position groups. I would love to see Mank brought back though…

• Steve says:

I’m not even sure if anyone picks anything right…it’s like the lottery….no way…highly improbable.
      What disturbs me is the lack of understanding of how teams actually pick players, but I think this site is doing ok with the Patritots discussion, and that’s all I’m looking for.
      I, personally, go into this knowing I can’t predict…I have never even tried to do one mock draft in over a decade of following all this year-round.
      It’s trying to narrow down the players and seeing where the chips fall. but there is on way to predict too much, if anyone gets a few things correct its’s cool, but mostly luck, or just obvious because it’s a high pick and a glaring need, or whatever. One trade or one QB can throw off an entire draft.

• prioris says:

Whoever Pats choose as olb, I am confident they will have done their homework well

8. Mike says:

The offensive concerns are highly overrated beside the O linemen. I like to remind everyone we were the highest scoring team in the league. There is no reason to panick.

Another thing, offensive players, especially skill positions are incredibly trick in term of their development and etc.

I’ll reserve judgement on offense, but i really think skill players are not necessary until later, and offensive concerns in the line will be addressed at second round instead of first.
    I would like the moderators to really watch Aldon Smith’s tape, he cannot cover, or set the edge, he can’t play in the 3-4, you guys need to understand that. Belichick didn’t pick OLB earlier years due to this unbalance and this is not gonna change now. Aldon Smith is not a complete player, he will be a 1 down player for years to come. This is a bad pick.

• Patriots Draft Guru says:

Mike, no offense, but I think we’ll listen to the guy who has covered the draft very well for us Patriots fans for 3 years over some guy named Mike.

NEPD isn’t the only draft guy that has Smith projected to the Patriots or as a 3-4 OLB – (Scott Wright, Mike Mayock, Wes Bunting, etc…)

• Steve says:

I think Aldon Smith projects to be more of an OLB in the 3-4 than Cam Jordan, and I’ve heard rumblings of this more and more lately. Smith is clearly what we look for because of his length and athleticism. I’m not sure Jordan can pull that position off, but he didn’t seem heavy enough to play our 3-4 DT.

• prioris says:

I don’t have enough film to truly assess aldon but from what I have seen, I would be very leery of aldon.

The only two OLB I clearly see as succeeding as 3 down players are Quinn and Romeus and that’s assuming their healthy. Beal and Houston are at next level down but less clear. Ayers has mental aspect but physical is less clear.

9. Bill says:

The Pat’s have a well documented desire to have Lumpy Rutherford types as their OL.

Since the Pat’s have ZERO interest resigning Mankins(who never missed a practice or NFL game) the Pat’s need to rely on draft picks.

Again. I would draft…Watt…Castonzo…Wisniewski…Moffitt as SAFE picks in the weird world of NFL big league owners.

10. Patriots Draft Guru says:

Do you see Mike Pouncey as a fit for the Patriots?

• Ryan says:

I hope they don’t draft him just because his brother turned out well. If he is as good as his brother I think it would be an awesome idea.

I’m not nearly as negative on the Patriots O-line. As for keeping Mankins, Kraft said he wanted to keep him in New England. Lets hope that they can agree on terms. As for always having top O-line, it doesn’t necessarily pay to have the best O-lineman or top lineman at every position. That takes money away from every other position, not only that it makes it harder to retain them. If they scout a good player later in the draft, it might be easier to keep them, also cheaper in the short run.

• prioris says:

Agree, Elite OL players don’t fit Pats. They are too expensive. Pats may be only able to afford one. One thing going for Mankins is that he is very durable.

• Bruschi54 says:

Mankins is an elite O-lineman, and although most Pats fans don’t appreciate his talents, so is Matt Light. If the defensive player they value the most is not available at #17, Pouncey is a pick that fans will be excited about when the season rolls around.

• Steve says:

He’s a guard/center…I just don’t see them taking that position that high…it goes against their value. But, that being said, if he’s there at 28 or 33 I wouldn’t be totally shocked.
        If he’s 75% of what his brother is you are getting a very nice player because his brother is special. With all the larger defensive tackles out there it is helpful to have that size. I give Koppen so much credit…he really does well against these monsters…gives up a lot of weight.

*/ ?>