2011 NFL Combine Thoughts

Tom Brady NFL Combine

The look of a champion.

Ah, the glorified meat-market that is the NFL Combine. Where hype springs eternal, and common sense goes to die. There will be 4.3′s and 4.5′s. There will be verticals jumped, cones ran, and pads smacked.

After all is said and done though, the most important part of the combine might be done with a tape measure and a voice recorder.

The accurate measurements and the interviews are incredibly valuable to teams, who can finally start to round out a full scouting report on each of their prospects. To see who the Patriots are talking to at the combine, check out our 2011 Patriots Draft Contacts page.

We’ll be adding our thoughts and observations about the 2011 NFL Combine to this page during the weekend and beyond – feel free to do the same in the comments section below.

A little mini-contest as well, with some NEPD bragging rights on the line. Choose over/under on these five questions.

1. Fastest 40 time – 4.31 (Our Pick – Under)
2. Most Bench-press Reps – 45.5 (Our Pick – Over)
3. Slowest 40 time – 5.82 (Our Pick – Over)
4. How many passes will Cam Newton throw – 1 (Our Pick – Under)
5. Highest vertical jump – 42.5″ (Our Pick – Under)

Tags: 2011 NFL Draft, Combine

29 Responses to “2011 NFL Combine Thoughts”

1. TD says:

Lashoure is fast for his size and can catch the ball better than Ingram, although I doubt ‘Bama threw to him much.

Also, Boston Herald is reporting Kaczur may be done as he will come in at $3.4mil as an injured backup. Won’t happen on BB’s watch, he either goes down or he goes out. Neal is also at about $2 mil. Do I detect OLine draft picks coming.

Also, Torrey Smith has become one that I have been very impressed with. They say he is a project but he looks damn good to me. ALSO, is there any way to get Taylor Price’s stats from the combine I’d like to be able to compare him to this years class???

• NEPD says:

Price ran a 4.40 (1.5, 2.52 splits) – 6.82 cone drill – 37″ jump – 16 reps – 9’6″ broad jump

• Ryan says:

His forty time is pretty good in comparison, cone drill, vert and broad jump are mediocre. But I think after working out with the team for an entire year, he is probably similar to T. Smith at this point. Maybe not. 4.40 is pretty fast.

Any thoughts on what RB you like? J. Roges looked very fluid.

• NEPD says:

Not that high on ‘Quizz… looks like Darren Sproles at best.

Besides Ingram, Leshoure and Murray are intriguing. Murray I think is better right now, but Leshoure could be special. His vision concerns me though.

• Ryan says:

If we take a guy I want break away speed type guy. Jamaal Charles esq. Murray could be the guy in my opinion.

3. Sciz says:

Thus far:
    1. Over, with DBs still having a chance
    2. Over (Paea with 49)
    3. Over (Thompson at 6.06)
    4. Over (Although he shouldn’t have)
    5. Push (Virgil Green, still can be beaten)

Needless to say, I failed.

Demarco Murray- is FAST. Ingram and Leshoure are much slower. BUT I wish all times were padded.

5. NEPD says:

Torrey Smith and Jake Locker also having good days.

6. NEPD says:

Wow. Julio Jones just blew up Indy.

• TD says:

Listened to Mayock and Sharpe say that he struggles getting off the line in press coverage, which is getting prevalent in AFC East.

7. NEPD says:

Very impressed with Derek Sherrod and Anthony Castonzo today. Also have some updates on the Patriots Draft Contacts page from interviews at the combine.

8. John says:

Ingram at pick #17 would be O.K., but somewhere between 24-28 would be great. I would move up a couple spots if he got to 25 or 26. I’m hoping Aldon Smith or C. Jordan will slip to 17 instead. I know that there are some M LeShoure fans and he would be great to pick up early in the 2nd round if he lasts that long.

9. Jon L. says:

under
    over
    over
    over
    under

Also I hope Ingram is still there for the Pats to pick at 17.

10. CC says:

*Mankin’s “isn’t” gonna be here, this should have been known early last year, they should have just traded him last year over to a non threat to us and got a semi decent player and a nice pick for him and let it ride, and if he’s forced to be here….he’ll essencially be next to worthless.

They should have let him go when they had the op.
    Speaking of which, it wasn’t just the lack of pass rush in the Jet’s game that lost it, it was the “O-line” that basically buckled as well as the Jet’s putting NBA style pick’s on our TE core and x-iing them out.

• TD says:

I would bet that they did shop him last year, but at $7-8mil/yr for a G, I doubt there would ever be any takers. If he were a QB, like when Cassell was here it would be a different story, the ceiling for G’s is probably $6mil at the most.

11. John says:

I’m trying to figure out who will be available to the Pats at pick#17. I have 3 guys who I’m hoping are still there. Quinn, C. Jordan and Aldon Smith. I highly doubt Quinn will be there but is there a chance for Jordan or Smith? It is imperative that they get a DL and OLB that can start and contribute right away. Their pass rush was non-existent and caused them to lose the game to the Jets in the playoffs.

12. Sean says:

Over
    Over
    Over

13. TD says:

Over
    Under

If it were not for the combine, idiot GM’s/Coaches/Owners would not act irrationally and reach for such picks as: Heyward-Bey, Gholston, Leaf, etc. and we might not see some of the talent we have had in our laps as a result.

Hopefully this combine will produce some guys others fall in love with and we have shots at DE’s, OLB’s and OL’s although I think we will anyways with 3 out of the top 33 picks.

14. PatsFan401 says:

Over
    Over
    Under

Ditto on Smith. But i have just 1 question. Is he a starter week 1? Or is Light signed back on a short-term deal

• Ryan says:

I guess it was my thought that if they could get Light cheap then they would resign him probably two to three year deal. But another factor is what they may do with Mankins. I guess if its me you can sign Mankins for 9 million a year, and then cut Light because he is going to want 2-3 million a year, and take that space up with a rookie or a cheaper player. It would be nice to have them both back. But part of me doesn’t see that happening. But to finally answer your question, I’m not sure that Smith could be a week one starter. HOWEVER, our OL coach is fantastic who knows what he can do. That might the question going into the draft. Are they drafting with a starting mentality or are they looking for reserves.

15. NEPD says:

Very impressed with Tyron Smith weighing in at 307 pounds. Size was our only concern with the USC OL.

• Ryan says:

I know everyone likes Solder, Carimi or whomever. I like this kid. He to me seems far more athletic, he is young which means the OL coach wont have to fix a ton of bad mechanics. Should be a lot of upside. If he is there late in the 1st I say “buy. buy. buy.”

• JimC says:

There are not a lot of smart GM’s out there, he will be around at 17. TS is fast and strong and the best of the group.

16. Bruschi54 says: