Ah, the glorified meat-market that is the NFL Combine. Where hype springs eternal, and common sense goes to die. There will be 4.3′s and 4.5′s. There will be verticals jumped, cones ran, and pads smacked.
After all is said and done though, the most important part of the combine might be done with a tape measure and a voice recorder.
The accurate measurements and the interviews are incredibly valuable to teams, who can finally start to round out a full scouting report on each of their prospects. To see who the Patriots are talking to at the combine, check out our 2011 Patriots Draft Contacts page.
We’ll be adding our thoughts and observations about the 2011 NFL Combine to this page during the weekend and beyond – feel free to do the same in the comments section below.
A little mini-contest as well, with some NEPD bragging rights on the line. Choose over/under on these five questions.
1. Fastest 40 time – 4.31 (Our Pick – Under)
2. Most Bench-press Reps – 45.5 (Our Pick – Over)
3. Slowest 40 time – 5.82 (Our Pick – Over)
4. How many passes will Cam Newton throw – 1 (Our Pick – Under)
5. Highest vertical jump – 42.5″ (Our Pick – Under)