Bowl-ing for 2011 NFL Draft Prospects 3.0

Von Miller

Is this Aggie a good fit to suit up for the Patriots?

With the NCAA Bowl season wrapping up, here are four more prospects that the Patriots have expressed some interest in by sending scouts to their games and/or practices.

Nick Fairley, DL, Auburn
There is no question that Nick Fairley is a disruptive force. The question is, can he play in the Patriots system? The more we watch, the more we think that he would be MUCH better suited in a 1-gap system, rather than wasting his considerable penetrating skills in the Patriots 2-gap scheme. The Patriots did spend almost a full week scouting at Auburn though…

Von Miller, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
To us, Miller is a one-trick pony – a pure pass-rush specialist. That said, he does that one thing very well, racking up a ridiculous amount of sacks over his collegiate career. He isn’t big or strong enough to set the edge for the Patriots, but would certainly be an intriguing 3rd or 4th round pick to use in obvious pass-rush situations. Unfortunately, some other attacking 3-4 team will likely snatch him up in the first 40-50 picks.

Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
Baldwin is a deep-threat receiver that has legitimate NFL speed. Separation can still be a challenge for Baldwin though, as he is still learning how to utilize his considerable physical skills. Wide receiver isn’t a position of need for the Patriots, but with 6 picks in the top 100, they could spend a pick on a luxury item.

Mike Brewster, OC, Ohio State
Brewster might be the best center in the NCAA right now, although Penn State’s Stefen Wisniewski might have something to say about that. It will be interesting to see how he fares against an SEC front.

Tags: ,

24 Responses to “Bowl-ing for 2011 NFL Draft Prospects 3.0”

1. Charley says:

Could the patriots surprise and pick a quarterback with one of their number one selections and take a Cam Newton ?

Any thoughts on John Clay?

3. mike says:

Kerrigan. Like wdf, big no no on jenkins.

4. John says:

Before someone else corrects me, I meant to say Hernandez instead of Gonzalez for the tight ends. Aaron Hernandez was probably one of the biggest steals in the 2010 draft (4th round pick) and I should at least get his name right . I have a question for anyone to answer. If CB Janoris Jenkins and DE Ryan Kerrigan are both on the board at #17, who do you take?

• Steve says:

John, that’s funny…we can all thank weed for Hernandez being there in the 4th, if he was clean, or even only had one offense he could have gone in the 1st. His talents were no big secret…Kiper loved and raved about him too often, and many others. Not to mention he was on TV every weekend because of Tebow and being so highly ranked.
      Great pick…hope he’s off the dope!

Good question, I was think the same thing…seems to be logical seeing where all these mock drafts are heading, but I would doubt it will surface.

I have no idea….that’s my take on it. They both look like mid 1st round talents right now, but if one is not a good kid just take him off the board. If Jenkins is that talented and smart, coming from Florida, he could be the pick. I really want a strong corner on this team…it’s a huge whole right now and they won’t go to waste. Kerrigan looks like a good player, but I’m on the fence with him as a convert….not sure BB will take such a risk that high. My guess is a 4-3 team will take him to play as an end before we would jump at him. Maybe he slips to the end and we can take a chance then, but I doubt it at 17.

5. John says:

I am totally confused why some people are talking about wide receivers and tight ends for the 2011 draft. Am I missing something?The 4 picks in the first 2 rounds should go for DE/DT, CB, OLB, and RB. I’d also pick an offensive linemen in the 3rd round. Let’s see what Taylor Price and Brandon Tate can do at WR. Don’t worry about our TE’s either because Gronkowski , Gonzalez, and Crumpier are more than enough.

6. Fitz says:

What about Hakeem Ayers? I have seen him as high as 8 on boards and as low as 40-50. Generally listed in the top half of the first round. Will he be available and would he be a good fit?

Kerrigan out of Purdue is another guy who looks like a great fit for the Pats.

• Steve says:

Ayers is high on Kiper’s board, for whatever that is worth, and many other mocks have him in the mid-first round, on average. My personal opinion is that he’s over-rated. He’s got all the measurables…perfect looking convert to OLB, but he just doesn’t seem like a very good football player to me. I only have the youtbue stuff to go by, but there is a lot on him and it’s not very appealing.
      The guy seems to run around a lot and looks busy, but gets nothing done, if you know what I mean. Also, I hate the way he tackles…he misses too many and there are several instances where he tackles with his shoulder like a frail cornerback would. That to me is out of the question for a linebacker. He just doesn’t seem to have the instincts, yet has a ton of athleticism.
      I’m hoping the Pats take a pass on this guy.
      All that being said, watch the guy go to the Hall of Fame.

• Fitz says:

interesting analysis. I see what you mean about the tackling. He definately has good fluid speed and pursues the play from sideline to sideline. He always seems to be around the ball but when he gets there doesn’t look like he’s finishing people off. As a later pick he might have strong upside potential as a big athletic guy who can cover well but the possibility exists that he will always just play too soft.

• Steve says:

Fitz…exactly! I couldn’t believe the hype and still don’t. How can anyone watch him and say he’s very good, or potentially great. Name me a soft & great linebacker? If you’re Dion Sanders you can be soft against the run, but a linebacker in a 3-4…their job is to make tackles and hit people hard. He seems to conveniently avoid this too often.
        I’m glad you watched the film…I’m starting to feel alone in this opinion listening to experts rave about a soft linebacker. I wouldn’t take him until the 3rd…teaching a linebacker to be physical, all the time, is not a sure thing.

7. Liam says:

Cam Heyward was lights out for the Buckeyes against Arkensas. Any chance he could be good for us? He’s one of the bigger 5 techs slated as an early round talent, should be available at 28-33, and has enough talent that he was considered a top 10 lock in the pre-season. The knock is that he is highly inconsistant and disappears for games, and that is why he has fallen on draft boards, but any chance the Pats coaching staff can get the best out of this guy? I think the upside could be worth it.

• Steve says:

I’ll take a stab at this one Liam,
      I think he’s an ideal 3-4 DE/DT and would be a nice pick at 17 for us, if they think he’s a good kid, and has his shit together etc…
      I watched some of the game and he seemed to combating the comments that he’s not an every down effort guy…showed the scouts that he has the heart and effort.
      If he interviews well and continues with a good combine and post season he won’t get to the end of the 1st round…in my humble opinion.
      He’s got that position thing going for him…low risk…and a huge need for so many 3-4 teams…hard to find, so they go high.

• Ryan says:

In my opinion and for whatever it may account for. The Patriots seem to draft guys with these things: high motor, intelligence, knowledge and the ability to give it all all the time, whether they doing what they want or what Bill wants. If Bill seems to think a player cannot do these things it is unlikely they will be drafted. Not saying Heyward is a half ass player, but if the coaches even see that type of stuff on film I find hard to believe that Bill would waste a first round pick on him. However, Bill gets millions and has three rings and I”m still searching for both.

8. prioris says:

I should be coach of the year. I am undefeated in NFL football.
    Never had a loss. I’ve been pretty amazing. I live in obscurity.
    It’s sad.

• Bill says:

Huh? I’m not obscure. I’m the king of the world. I’m from WMass. A song was written about me.

BTW, Napoleon was a white guy who would have been one heck of an NFL owner. Because Napoleon wasn’t a guy who was obscure, unlike you Steve.

9. Bill says:

I can understand the popularity of five WR’s on the field that Charlie Weis made popular amongst Pat’s fans. But the NFL D coodinators have adjusted to that offensive scheme just as Payton Manning has adjusted to the 3-4 defense.

I don’t want Baldwin or Floyd on this team next year. I want Rudolph and another quality TE to be drafted by the Pat’s. I want the Pat’s to have the Charlie Weis offensive scheme with five TE’s instead of five WR’s.

Brady has at best 2-3 three years left in his prime QB years. Now is the time to make the transition from allowing Brady to throw 40-50 yards down field to allowing Brady to scan the D and decide which TE he is going to toss the 7-8 yard pass.

10. patriotsfootballplace says:

Don’t know the O-lineman. Heard a contradiction about Baldwin. One said good hands, other inconsistent??

As for Fairley and Miller I have the exact same sentiments so have nothing to add.

• NEPD says:

From what I’ve seen, Baldwin has decent enough hands. Saying that they are inconsistent wouldn’t be entirely inaccurate – he’ll make some spectacular catches and has dropped a few easy ones.

• Steve says:

If that’s the case, and I trust you guys that it’s accurate, he won’t be drafted by us. Any receiver has a big enough challenge with the 5 yard rule…getting off the ball, then dealing with zones and way better DB’s along with much more complicated offenses. If you throw in that he’s a big guy you can almost rule out that he’s going to be a quick route runner, and add on inconsistant hands, that’s not a good combination for a high draft pick.
        Floyd seems to catch a lot of balls and he uses his height to go and get them….uses his hands also, doesn’t arm catch, or wait for the ball to get to him…that’s what you need to see from a big receiver, if not all receivers.

11. Steve says:

Before I give my opinion on these few players I want to send a rant addressing Boomer Esiason’s admission that he isn’t voting for BB for Coach of the Year:

Belichick is the coach of the year nearly every year, but this one especially, and I’m not going into all the obvious reasons. Well, maybe I will…I feel like a good rant…good for the soul.

These idiots get this power to vote for awards and immediately get stupid…over-think, then F$%# it all up.

Mr. Esiason,

Who’s the one active coach in the NFL that is arguably the greatest coach ever? You have 3 seconds to answer this question or you’ll self-destruct!
    Answer: BB

Who’s easily the best coach in the NFL now, and year-after-year over the past decade? Again, don’t take your time…mine is somewhat valuable.
    Answer: BB

What “coach” won the most games this year in the entire NFL?
    Answer: BB

Who’s team is in the playoffs and is the odds on favorite, and a huge part of that is the fact that he is the coach?
    Answer: BB

What team jettisoned a future first ballot hall of famer in order to regain (i.e. coach) his team, and is there another coach on this planet who would have had the balls to do so?
    Answer: BB

What coach at the start of the season had such a young defense, and several rookie TE’s added to newer approach on offense, and turned them, or should I say COACHED them, into a 14-2 powerhouse?
    Answer: BB

What coach decided to NOT to name any assistants to BOTH key coordinator positions because he’s tired of losing them after a season or two (only to see them fall flat on their faces proving it was really his genius all along); and was highly criticized for this even with his track record of putting the team first, not to mention winning games more often than any coach in modern day history…and went 14-2 with this “coaching” strategy, where he assumed MORE COACHING responsibility, not less?
    Answer: BB

What coach has the best “coaching-system” in place, so players can come in and contribute and just do their jobs and win year after year…they can excel within, while getting all the support and guidance necessary; or should I use that confusing word again: COACHING???
    Answer: BB

What coach’s team hardly makes mistakes, is taught (threatened), and “coached”, not to turn the ball over? What team did this while taking the ball over on defense also?
    Answer: BB

What coach consistently puts a winning football team on the field that seems to know every situation conceivable while reacting to these situations as if they are second nature because they are so well COACHED on all these possible scenarios?
    Answer: BB

So, Mr. “Boomer” Esiason, who’s your coach of the year vote going to this season? “Well, I’m going with Raheem Morris of Tampa Bay, I know he didn’t make the playoffs, but he did a nice job down there”. (to paraphrase)

BRILLIANT!!!

On the above players:

I like Baldwin, and I wouldn’t be shocked if they took him, but I’m guessing that they won’t take such a high risk guy, but who knows? He’s talented and would add to this team if he has what it will take to transition.
    Von Miller: Well, those are my words up there, so I’m not sure I want to repeat myself.
    Ohio State center: on the O-line I will love whoever Dante & BB bring in…they do it year after year and Brady hardly gets touched.
    Fairley: He’ll be gone in the top 10, if not top 5, he’s too good at too important a position, and at too a low risk position. But, I think he can play in any system, but, I do think he’s a better fit in a 4-3; that doesn’t mean we couldn’t use a guy like that though…he looks special.

• JimC says:

Steve…I couldn’t have said it any better. Coach Bill is the master of the game!

• Steve says:

Thanks, I guess it’s my point that nearly every year the voters seem to think of who’s the next guy to win coach of the year because it’s so obvious Belichick is the top guy, and usually does the best job…most deserving in a just world.
        It seems they go right into over-thinking mode…and I can’t stand the awards stuff…MVP debates etc…it’s all nonsense and Esiason just drove that point home finally for me.
        It’s ridiculous….

• Fitz says:

I agree that Boomer is off base on the BB thing. On the other hand, he is generally speaking a consistent Patriots rump swab so I am willing to cut him some slack. The other day after that loud mouth Pats hater Shannon Sharpe had said that, because the Patriots had lost 2 games they were “very beatable” Boomer made his prediction for next season that the Pats would “win one for the thumb.” So he is picking them to win the Super Bowl both this year and next.

*/ ?>