Bowl-ing for 2011 NFL Draft Prospects

Adrian Clayborn

Adrian Clayborn is certainly a disruptive player - but would he fit in the Patriots system?

Getting set to watch the Insight Bowl, Military Bowl, Texas Bowl? Here is an NFL Draft prospect to watch from each team that the Patriots have shown some interest in by sending scouts to a game or practice.

Check back on December 30th for our next installment of Bowling for 2011 NFL Draft Prospects when we get you ready for the Meineke Bowl, Holiday Bowl, and a host of others.

Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri

Smith projects a 3-4 OLB at the next level for the Patriots. He has incredibly long arms and a great swim move. He needs to add strength and add to his arsenal of rush moves.

Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

After a disappointing senior campgain, Clayborn will be out to showcase his talents for NFL teams. A penetrating force when his motor is hot, Clayborn doesn’t project as a Patriots-style 5-technique DE to us.

Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland

Elite speed makes Smith a down-field threat on each and every play. Has good hands and runs decent routes. Could compete with Brandon Tate as the Patriots field-stretcher.

Dwayne Harris, WR, East Carolina

Harris is a solid mid-round receiver that could also double as a return specialist. Great YAC ability and blocks very well down the field, an important aspect of the Patriots offense.

Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois

Powerful runner that would be a great complement to Danny Woodhead and Ben-Jarvus Green-Ellis. Has all the physical tools, but needs to work on his vision to become a legitimate NFL starting back.

Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor

Guys that go by the measurements of 6’4″ and 340 pounds don’t come around every day. Taylor projects as a nose tackle in a 3-4 system, as he is very difficult to move off the point of attack.

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “Bowl-ing for 2011 NFL Draft Prospects”

A heisman winner is very unlikely to slip into the second round. But weirder things have happened I suppose

2. John says:

If the Patriots are going to draft a running back, the 64th pick might not get LeShoure or Thomas of Kansas St. I also think that the 32nd or 33rd pick is too early to pick either one of them. If the Patriots end up moving down a little bit in the first round they might consider moving up their 64th pick to the middle of the second round. If the running back they want is not there they could just draft the best offensive lineman available. Ingram will be gone somewhere in the middle of the first round. Which RB would you like the Patriots to get and in which round?

• Ryan says:

I like Leshoure, my guess he will be a second round pick after the combine.

• Steve says:

I would love to see Ingram run slowly at the combine and slip to the end of the 1st or top of the 2nd…take him there with either, not that it matters which one. He’s needed seeing Morris and Taylor won’t be back and he’s a great fit….nice talent.
      I don’t think Leshoure lasts past the top of the 2nd…he’s a pro back…a beast and it’s becoming obvious. Not to mention he’s explosive. I’d rather have Ingram though.

Aldon Smith is a top 10 talent…wait and see at the combine, if it takes that long. He’s like a Jason Taylor…long, strong and extremely athletic….a game changer…pass rusher. Better prospect than Jason Pierre-Paul last year, but that type of athlete. Those guys don’t last long.

He seems like a perfect fit for us, but I just watched an interview where he was talking about his new “gumby” haircut and I have to wonder if he’s not a complete stiff (upstairs…in the head). Either way, he won’t last long in the draft with those skills.

Normally, I would never trash a Hawkeye after going to school there and being a hawkeye for life but I don’t think he is that good. Didn’t look very good for the bowl game, I didn’t even know he was playing till late in the first half. From what I saw, he was not even getting doubled. I’d rather have someone else with a little bigger size.

4. Patriots Draft Guru says:

I love what Clayborn brings to the table, but agree that he probably is a better 4-3 DE.

Torrey Smith would like great in a Patriots uniform.

*/ ?>