Patriots Trim Roster

Leigh Bodden

Leigh Bodden won't be picking off any passes this season for the Patriots.

Even though the deadline for trimming NFL Rosters to 75 players or less came and went at 4pm eastern, the media relations department for the Patriots decided to put in some overtime.

Unfortunately for Patriot fans, the news wasn’t good.  Leigh Bodden, who resigned with the Patriots this off-season, will be placed on season-ending injured reserve.  Bodden has been battling a knee injury, but we hear that there is also a shoulder issue.

Joining him on IR will be safety Josh Barrett, claimed from the Broncos, Brett Lockett, and Darryl Richard. Terrence Johnson was also released.

Devin McCourty and Darius Butler now figure to be the starting cornerbacks for the Patriots, with Terrence Wheatley and Jonathan Wilhite now nearly assured of roster spots.

The Patriots will need to make further cuts after their September 2nd game against the New York Giants to comply with the 53-man roster limit on September 4th.

Tags: Leigh Bodden, Roster Moves

8 Responses to “Patriots Trim Roster”

1. Alex says:

I honestly believe the Pats will become the first team in NFL history to score over 500 points while giving up over 400. We’ll be stout against the run, but I see at least one, maybe two more Brees-like performances coming this season. I just hope one of them isn’t from Manning. I like the Patriots’ young corners, but with all day to throw, they’re gonna get picked apart.

2. JMC says:

“we’ll see how it goes”

3. Jared says:

PS-no depth in the trenches, on either side of the ball….is a problem that goes without saying.

4. Jared says:

I feel your pain Ryan….but with all the weapons on offense. Brady, Moss, Welker, Edelman, the two TE’s, the best 3rd down RB in the league….I think the OL may struggle, but I think they can make due. The RB situation…i worry less than everyone else I think, I think Fred T is your best pure runner, Faulk is Faulk, and the other 3 can all play, so im fine with the mediocure 5 man crew for one more year.
    My issues are the defense….I still think Spikes can combine with Mayo to solidify the middle a little, with Guyton playing a better-suited 3rd down role. But their D-line AND their DB’s were a question coming into camp. Now that theyve lost Bodden and Warren, theyre seconde best lineman and best cover guy….that defense that i hoped would take a step forward, has now taken an undoubtable step back. A group of 3 DB’s with Bodden,Butler,and McCourty looks pretty good on paper…bu remove Bodden…and move every corner you have-up a slot-Butler,McCourty,and Wilhite…looks good for opposing teams on paper. A passrush has never been more needed than now,they simply dont have one, and I think theyre in trouble.
    My top 5 problems…1 bienig the biggest.
    1.someone to play opposite Tully Banta-Cain
    2.missing Mankins
    3.need another corner besides Wilhite/Wheatley
    Second-tier problems
    4.can Spikes solidify the middle
    5.can Tate be a starting NFL reciever

Here is a minor not complete list of problems:
    1. OL – - No Mankins
    2. No solid determined running back
    3. ILB – Is now under investigation
    4. CB – Leigh Bodden is Injured
    5. Ty Warren is injured
    6. DE – No Depth, and Little Talent
    7. OLB – enough said
    8. Welker – Coming off an injury
    9. CB’s – Young

The last two may have been reaches, its going to be a very long season.

6. Jared says:

im jumping off the deep end right now. theyre screwed on D. before camp, i was convinced McCourty and Spikes would make the defense better than last year, even without adding a passrusher…But now, Wilhite is probably your 3rd corner, get used to getting deja-vu as you watch replays of our DB’s getting burnt again and again. with no passrush of ANY sort going, there only chance on D was to roll those 3 good corners they got, and get creative with some blitzes…and maybe they could compete with the iron.
    I thought they could make due without Ty Warren, maybe Im underestimating him-or maybe he just never makes big plays that stay in my mind. But it was lining up nice for Bodden, in his prime, 1 year under his belt, just signed a contract…on and on. Now you dont have 1 solid, proven, NFL cornerback on your roster. Not to mention, hes your biggest corner, most physical, and overall best cover guy…
    Enough of the pitty-party…They need to find someone who they can trust out there, a veteran on the street. A trade for a guy with a one year contract…someone. I feel like it used to be so easy for BB to find a Chad Scott, or an Otis Smith on the street for cheap…now, my gut says they wont even make a move, theyre in a tough spot now. 3 good corners under contract, opener in 2 weeks, one of the hardest positions to come by in the league. And every million$ they waste on a Deltha Oneal,a Fernando Bryant,or a Shawn Springs…it gets harder to throw cash at the next one.

JNIMZ

7. Jeff says:

Lucky the Pats have a dominating pass rush to help out the secondary….oh wait….

8. Patriots Draft Guru says:

Leigh Bodden will be missed. Not very confident in Wilhite/Wheatley for the #3 spot.

I’d take Ellis Hobbs at this point.