2010 Patriots Roster Prediction 3.0

Updated after various roster moves on 8/16.

After the Patriots promising opening performance against the New Orleans Saints yesterday, we’ve made a few changes to our previous 2010 Patriots Roster Prediction.

Unfortunately, many of the changes are due to injuires, most notably to Nick Kaczur and Ty Warren. Derrick Burgess being added to the active roster was also a big surprise. Inspired play in the first preseason game also bumped a few players on the final 53. Changes are noted in bold.

QB: Brady, Hoyer (2)

RB: Maroney, Faulk, Taylor, Morris (4)

WR: Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, Price, Aiken(6)

TE: Crumpler, Gronkowski, Hernandez (3)

OL: Light, Koppen, Neal, Vollmer, Connolly, Ohrnberger, Levoir, Wendell, Bussey (9)

DL: Wilfork, Pryor, Wright, G. Warren, Deaderick, Lewis, Brace (7)

LB: Banta-Cain, Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, Cunningham, Ninkovich, McKenzie, Burgess, Murrell, T. Williams (10)

DB: Bodden, McCourty, Butler, Wheatley, Arrington, Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, McGowan (9)

ST: Gostkowski, Mesko, Ingram, (3)

Last Cuts/Trades:  Weston, Wilhite,  Welch, Larsen, BJGE
Reserve/IR: Mankins, Holt, Ty Warren, Kaczur

Tags: Predictions

21 Responses to “2010 Patriots Roster Prediction 3.0”

1. Liam says:

I mostly agree with Jared, they’ll keep the five RBs and both wheatley/wilhite. Can’t see them keeping both Aiken and Arrington as ST only players, I know they did last year but there weren’t exactly any better options. Also, can’t see how T. Williams makes the team as a fifth ILB. They’ve got Hernandez if they need a fullback.

2. Jared says:

PS-Wilhite…another pick :)

3. Jared says:

Jim, hope you watched Freddy be the best player on the field tonight….still want to cut him????
    And if Bill wants a “strong body”…Taylors his man, even at his age, hes one of the most violent runners in the league. Out of all the RB’s, the 3 veterans-Morris,Faulk,and Taylor- look the best, I still say keep 5. I like Benjarvis Green-Ellis, But if im Bill…and I cant keep 5…Im not cutting a healthy Fred Taylor for him.

4. JimC says:

I’m not sure your picks for running back will hold up after preseason game 3……too much wear on those old uniforms.

My predictions – Green-ellis in Taylor out. Bill needs a strong body that can get the short yards and go up the middle.

5. Jared says:

I must have missed alll those plays Wheatleys been makin….lately.

6. Jared says:

PS. Wilhite may be having a less than great camp, but hes proven he can play corner in the NFL. Wheatley-a 2nd rounder,after three years has yet to prove that he can do the same. I cant recall Wheatley making a good play in three seasons with the Pats, and ta-boot…hes tinnnnny.

• JimC says:

Like I said in my earlier post…Wilhite will make the team only if BB decides to keep 10 DBs, even then Bill might keep a fifth saftey AKA Sergio Brown. Jared…remember…This is a what have you done for me lately league.

7. Jared says:

I didnt think Wilhite looked that bad against the champs. He made the hit of the game on a nice coverage play. Hes your 4th corner. And the DB depth chart will end up.

CB.
    1.Bodden
    2.Butler
    3.McCourty
    4.Wilhite
    5.Wheatley
    6.Arrington
    FS.
    1.Meriweather
    2.McGowan
    SS.
    1.Chung
    2.Sanders

They keep 10 because Arrington will take Aikens’ special teams’ spot.

8. JimC says:

NE won’t need to cut Green-Ellis, once Taylor and Morris start running the ball in a preseason they will end up on IR.

9. AP says:

Green-Ellis definitely makes the team – especially with maroney in his last year, morris getting old, and taylor old…

I also am not sure about Aiken, as it appears some of the other guys may be taking his gunner role…

Definitely looks like wilhite and wheatley are competing for 1 spot… with wheatley’s injury history I am thinking wilhite makes it.

10. Jared says:

I say they keep the same 5 for 1 more year. If a team makes an offer-i would say yes. But especially the RB position…there are plenty of guys around the same talent level as a Benjarvis Green-Ellis around the final cut date to snag for nothing.

11. JMC says:

It’s a mistake to cut Green-Ellis.

• NEPD says:

I think it is a distinct possibility that Green-Ellis gets traded in the next two weeks.

If not, Sammy or Fred might be getting the axe.

• JMC says:

I don’t see Green-Ellis getting traded or Sam Morris (who has been nothing but a warrior) getting cut . My gut feeling is that Fred Taylor will get cut, and perhaps come back if someone gets hurt.

I think Green-Ellis could split time is Maroney in the backfield and Morris will back them up with Kevin Faulk as the third down back (Morris backup).

I guess “We’ll see how it goes”.

12. Jared says:

I think Aiken and Holt get cut, but 3 recieving tight ends?? No. Alge looks like a LT, and was brought in to block. And Gronkowski is known for both-they have one, Aaron Hernandez.
    I thought D.Fletcher looked out of place.
    No way Wilhite was starting last year,and gets cut this year. Hes a solid 4th corner, Wheatley 5th, Arrington 6th.
    Green-Ellis makes it again.

PS-BB…save us another year of false hope-and just cut Ron Brace now. He sucked at BC, Bill should of watched a game or two down in Chestnut Hill…he might have not wasted a high pick on a bust that got to play next to BJ.Raji his whole college career.

JNIMZ

• JMC says:

If Brace needs development, that’s one thing but if he comes to camp out of shape, that means he’s not trying to get any better. You can’t win with guys that don’t want to play.

• JimC says:

Jared….Wilhite looked terrible during the NO game. He has also look terrible during camp! he only makes the team if BB keeps 10 DBs. If Wheatly play against Atlanta like he did in the NO game, he will make the team as a #4.

13. Jeff says:

I have a feeling that Aiken is the odd man out and Holt will make the team even though he has not practiced.

14. JimC says:

Wheatley will win out over Wilhite and Green-Ellis will beat out Aikens. The Pat’s now have 3 receiving T-Ends – there is no need to keep 6 receivers.

• NEPD says:

I think that depends on Welker’s health. If the Patriots feel he is 100% week 1, then I can see them dropping to 5 WR.