2010 Patriots Roster Prediction 2.0

When we made our first Patriots roster prediction back in June, things in Foxboro we’re very different. Logan Mankins wasn’t yet publicly disgruntled, while Derrick Burgess still looked like he would play in the 2010 NFL season.

These revelations, plus Brandon Tate and Taylor Price getting lots of reps in training camp, led us to make three changes (shown in bold) to our initial prediction. Disagree? Have at it below in the comments section.

QB: Brady, Hoyer (2)

RB: Maroney, Faulk, Taylor, Morris (4)

WR: Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, Price, Aiken (6)

TE: Crumpler, Gronkowski, Hernandez (3)

OL: Light, Koppen, Neal, Vollmer, Connolly, Ohrnberger, Kaczur, Levoir, Wendell (9)

DL: Warren, Wilfork, Brace, Pryor, Wright, Deaderick, Warren, Lewis (8)

LB: Banta-Cain, Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, Cunningham, Ninkovich, McKenzie, Woods, Fletcher (9)

DB: Bodden, McCourty, Butler, Wilhite, Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, McGowan (8)

ST: Gostkowski, Mesko, Ingram, Arrington (4)

Last Cuts: Holt, Wheatley, Green-Ellis, Robinson, T. Williams
Reserve: Mankins

Tags: Open Thread, Predictions

16 Responses to “2010 Patriots Roster Prediction 2.0”

1. brent says:

I agree with most cuts but not all. Green-ellis will make the team. Fred Taylor will be shown the door. Holt has one foot out, very disappointing. I rather see Buddy Farmham get a shot over Aiken, We have enough special teamers already.

2. Bruschi54 says:

If Mankins is not on board by the start of the regular season, the offense will struggle tremendously to establish any balance. The schedule is to difficult to roll out what they have in camp minus Kazur.

3. James says:

Are they required to keep a fullback? I know they have been working thomas williams there or BJGE could play there too

• NEPD says:

Not required to keep one, and they won’t keep a true FB. Aaron Hernandez will see time at H-back, and a guy like T. Williams / BJGE could see time there if they make the team.

I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but the Patriots don’t use a FB too often.

4. JMC says:

I’d hate to cut Green_Ellis. Taylor has had a great career and is a real warrior but he is too injury prone and he repeats the styles of the other backs. Green-Ellis deserves a shot at some snaps and he’s the best blocker of the whole group.

I’d rather keep T.Williams than Akien (for more options at LB)-let the younger guys like Fleacher step up on special teams-

The defense is developing and may be a year away. The OL is the weak spot and it will show in the running game, especially with no ligit power-type runner like Antwan Smith or Corry Dillon to set up the passing game and keep the opp pass rush honest.

• NEPD says:

I’d say Faulk blocks better than BJGE, but point taken. I still have hope that Maroney is going to have a big year — he’s still like 25 years old.

5. Ryan Buske says:

OL: Ted Larsen maybe?

• NEPD says:

Wendell has been getting more snaps, so I went that way. Larsen has a legit shot at making the team though.

They would certainly want him on the Practice squad.

6. Jon says:

- QB: Right On.
    - RB: I’d sooner cut Taylor than BJGE. Taylor is older and injury prone, and they’ll have enough vets. BJGE can contribute on special teams too.
    - WR: I think they run with 7 here. Holt gives them insurance if the younger guys don’t pan out. If they drop to 6 then Aiken is out – do you really want him catching passes again? Or trying to. It seems Chung could replace him on special teams too.
    - TE: Right On.
    - OL: I’d have to give it more thought beyond the obvious starters.
    - DL: I think Deaderick might be cut and they’ll try to get him on the practice squad.
    - LB: I lean towards Thomas Williams making it based on special teams contributions over Fletcher.
    - DB: Yup. Although I think it’d be 9 because Arrington would get tossed in here instead of ST.
    - ST: Yup.

• NEPD says:

I don’t want Aiken seeing the field on offense, but my #6/#7 WR has to have special teams value. If Holt makes the team, he’s going to have to be in the top 3 or 4.

7. Coach Bill says:

I agree with Aiken over Holt. Special Teams value at #6 WR is a must.

The Patriots will probably keep BJGE – they like having 5 RB’s.

• NEPD says:

Belichick could easily keep 5 backs, but with the uncertainty at OLB, he might want some additional options there.

• Ryan Buske says:

Rumor has it that Edelman has been working with the backs, maybe an attempt to replace Faulk or maybe even an attempt to do some actual running. It was noted in ESPN today under practice 14

8. Patriots Draft Guru says:

You’ve got a lot of love for Dane Fletcher.

Not sure that Brace makes the team – Patriots brass have shown little patience with high-picks before (Kevin O’Connell, Crable).

• NEPD says:

Dane Fletcher has been a fave of mine for a while… at least one UDFA makes an impact each year.

Brace just needs to get healthy… I’ll give him one more year.