2010 Roster Prediction 1.0

Nick Caserio

Caserio and Belichick will have a tough time paring the roster down to 53 players.

With the majority of off-season moves completed, OTA’s nearly over, and rookie roles starting to take shape, it is time for us to make our first prediction on the 53-man roster for the Patriots 2010 season.

QB: Brady, Hoyer (2)

RB: Maroney, Faulk, Taylor, Morris (4)

WR: Moss, Welker, Edelman, Price, Holt, Tate (6)

TE: Crumpler, Gronkowski, Hernandez (3)

OL: Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Vollmer, Connolly, Ohrnberger, Kaczur, Levoir (9)

DL: Warren, Wilfork, Brace, Pryor, Wright, Deaderick, Warren, Lewis (8)

LB: Banta-Cain, Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, Cunningham, Burgess, McKenzie, Woods, Fletcher Ninkovich (9)

DB: Bodden, McCourty, Butler, Wilhite, Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, McGowan (8)

ST: Gostkowski, Mesko, Ingram, Arrington (4)

Last Cuts: Alexander, Slater, Aiken, T. Williams

Practice Squad Hopefuls: Robinson, Larsen, Weston, Welch

What changes would you make?

Tags: Predictions

22 Responses to “2010 Roster Prediction 1.0”

1. Jared says:

I would love that trade, petty out there, but I would love it. Imagine two man-eating beasts like big Vince and fat Albert next to one another…scary. Only thing is, what Albert did to the Redskins, makes Logan look like a siant right now.I think theres a 33% chance Logan still stays. If they trade him, 80% chance, they trade him for a pick, not a player… A 2012 pick.

JNIMZ

• NEPD says:

I’m thinking a 2012 1st and 4th. Albert might look good on paper… but that isn’t going to happen for a number of reasons.

2. Ryan Buske says:

Jared-
    so, I might be foolish but I just thought of a possible trade that would work…… Mankins for Haynesworth…. run the 4-3…. we have a ton of 4-3 DE’s already. Then you put Mayo in the middle, Spikes one side, and Cain/McKenzie etc… the D-line would be stacked….

3. Jared says:

100% agree

$45 million he should not be bitching. He is not the best guard out there and he should have taken that offer. I’m sure it was more like 4.5-5.5 +incentives reaching around 7 million. But thats just speculation. I can see why he was pissed, but it seems like everytime we pay a player they suck. I would take a 1st rounder next year for him, and a throw in player. But we’ll see. Who needs a guard?

5. Jared says:

Ya man… who knows. Right after i wrote about trading awat a tackle…i looked on twitter and Mankins was demanding a trade…crazy. I love Logan as a player, but if he wants the money Evans for the Saints got, hes nuts! First off, Mankins is not the best Guard in football, maybe top 5. Secondly, you play for the Patriots Logan, sorry, guards dont get $60 million. I would hate to see Mankins go, but two years ago, in the biggest game in Patriot history… Mankins was man-handled and dominated by Justin Tuck, in a game where everyone played poor, he stuck out and played as bad as anyone. Mankins is not the type of player you can build a team around( like Brady & Wilfork ), just my opinion. Mankins has done everything right here, and because of that, you have to understand his beef. That beeing said, the Pats have won with role players like J.Andruzzi & M.Compton, 3 super bowls without a pro-bowl guard, so, sorry Logan, business is business. The Pats last offer was a reported 20% less than Evans deal, which would put the offer at around $45 millon dollars. If reports are true, I think a 45 million dollar offer with around a $7 million/year salary is a respectful offer for a guy that never would have been a first round pick if Bill wasn’t buddies with Fresno St Head coach. If he is disgusted with the reported offer, hes in the wrong place.
    All that beeing said…what do you get for him??? Most likely draft picks, very rarely do two teams agree on a player trade. A throw-in player, yes, a starting-type player,no. Too many factors, mostly playefrs contracts.
    Mankins agent was quoted saying-and i am paraphrasing… nobody gets paid in New England until they bitch. With those comments, Logans usual “team first” attitude, and an offer around $45 million… I think a deal could still get signed before camp. ” I want to be traded”, are strong words, but money talks. If the Pats offer him $50 million, and he doesn’t take it, can you blame the Pats? Answer…NO!
    If you can get a top-ten pick for a 30 yr old Richard Seymour, you should fetch the same for Mankins. Maybe a 1st rounder in….dare i say…2012?

JNIMZ

Jared-
    The real question now becomes who or what do we want for Mankins. I do not think he is dumb enough to ruin his career, therefore, he will find somewhere to play. The question though is what do we want, draft picks, players or what? To bad there aren’t any solid DE/OLB’s out there thay could possibly help us out or even a RB. I think he will be missed, but I think we may… be able to fill his role.

7. Matt says:

I agree for the most part on this roster. Two guys that I think will make the team are Slater and Aiken. Theses guys have been very important to the Pats over the past few years on special teams. BB loves guys who work hard and earn their spot on special teams. Other then that, I can see them keeping another DB. Wheatley still can be a good player and I dont really seed the need for Fletcher in the linebacker spot.

• NEPD says:

I think Arrington and McCourty will be our ST studs this year. Fletcher is my UDFA binky, and I think he’ll do real well. Or get cut.

8. Jared says:

And agree with Ryan, I heard the kid Thomas Williams has flashed big-time in OTA’s. And I also think Larsen could find a spot on the opening 53.

9. Jared says:

Wheatley does suck. one of BB’s worst picks ever by far. When I watch him play, I don’t know what bill ever saw in him. I think bill put too much stock in the mental aspect of thingsor character. The physical tools just aren’t there. I know hes had some tough luck in his short career… But a guy, that small, has to be extremely fast and physical. Wheatley has shown neither, i don’t remember exactly when it occured but…The Pats were playing the Bengals, wheatley was on the field covering the late Chris Henry. He was doing the old Ellis Hobbs trick(giving him an almost 20 yard cushion). Repeatedly getting beat short is one thing, but after a number of short out routes…Wheatley was torched deep( while still giving Henry a 15 yard cushion) for a touchdown. At that point in time, I knew Bill had wasted another 2nd round pick. I think with the resigning of Bodden, the 1st pick of the draft being a corner, and guys like Arrington who are valuable on special teams… Bill will cut his losses this year, whick i think means bye-bye Crable, and bye-bye Wheatley.

JNIMZ

10. Jared says:

Who knows what is going to happen after all of this Mankins stuff!!!

11. Jared says:

Tough question. I like your 53. With little to no info on most of the guys on the bubble, its tough right now to perdict such spots. I have to say my favorite cut you predicted was Crable. nothing against him, i’m just tired of hearing about him, and his so called potential.
    The two cuts I see beeing tough decisions, is for the last WR, and the last LB. One thing that I think could be different is Slater or Aiken making the team. Both are good players on specials, and if it comes down to either of them, i think Aikens’ experience playing some reciever last year will give him the edge over Slater. Arrington looks like a stud on special teams also, so I can see why you wrote they would cut 2nd round pick-Terrence Wheatley.
    The other player I think could make the team is Ninkovich at OLB. I haven’t heard anything about him in camp, or if he was even there. But with Adalius thomas’ absence last year, Ninkovich showed the ability get the QB. Especially in the snow game against Tennessee. I think he has a chance to make the team for that reason alone, their lack of passrushers.
    Other than that, i don’t see a Lawyer Milloy or a Richard Seymour move coming. But with BB, anything is possible…literally. The one move i can see them making…I can envision Bill recieving a call from a team that is in need of a starting offensive tackle, Pats have thee of them…Maybe the second biggest roster luxury on the team.(behind Welker V2.0 who wheres number 11) I think a team may offer the patriots something they can’t refuse for Matt Light OR Nick Kazcur. Could see it happen if a teams starting tackle gets hurt in training camp. Bill does love his draft picks.

JNIMZ

• Ryan says:

Ninkovich has been doing well in practice I read and so has Thomas Williams I expect them both to make the cut. I think Larsen will get a shot at a starting spot or atleast a back up. Bill said he was 3rd round material at one point.

Wheatley sucks, but BB loves him so I think he will get a shot.

12. Sean says:

QB – Looks Right

RB – Think they go with all five.

WR/TE – Looks About Right

OL – I think Connolly loses out to Ted Larsen since they have Kazcur as a backup at both G/T.

DL – Deadrick to Practice Squad and Warren Cut. Go with 6 DL since Brace is moving to DE and can backup bot DE and NT.

LB – Fletcher to P Squad and add Ninkovish and T. Williams

DB – Looks good but I have a feeling Sanders gets traded before the start of the season as he makes too much for a backup and they can get a young guy some experience.

ST – Looks good.

13. Sean says:

You actually have a 54 man roster as there are still 5 RB’s.

14. Jay says:

You need to cut one more RB (you list 5 but say there’s only 4). I would agree though that even though they have no FB they will only carry 4 RBs, mainly because the tight ends appear set at 3 and they’re stacked at WR. They’ll have to make a very difficult choice in who to let go.

15. Chris says:

I think you have 54 guys here (5 RBs listed, only 4 counted)… Likely one has to be cut due to special teams contributions

16. Paul D says:

On actual names, I’d expect Crable/Ninkovitch at LB rather than (probably) Woods and Fletcher

17. Paul D says:

You need to lose someone else. You have 5 RBs, not 4

18. Jim says:

Looks like you have 5 RBs listed not 4.