Bears and Patriots Talking Trade?

As we reported on early in March, there was some speculation regarding a potential Greg Olsen (TE, Bears) to the Patriots deal. Bear Goggles, a cleverly-named Bears fansite, is reporting that the talk is heating back up.

They (rightly) acknowledge that the Bears would have to package someone or something with Olsen in order to procure one of the Patriots’ 2nd-round draft picks. Bill Belichick himself stated that teams have already been calling about the three picks that the Patriots have stockpiled. We think Olsen and the Bears 3rd round pick would get the job done.

While I’m certain that Coach Belichick is listening to any offers on the table, don’t expect the Patriots to overpay for a receiving tight end, especially with so many options available in the mid-rounds of the 2010 NFL Draft. We see Greg Olsen playing in the windy city again in 2010.

Tags:

9 Responses to “Bears and Patriots Talking Trade?”

1. Skoolo says:

As a Bears Fan, I’d hate to see G.Olsen let go. Patriots Fans,…u don’t realize how good he is and I guess we really don’t appreciate how good he is either. He is a pro bowl caliber TE and would flourish in the right offensive system. If u get him, he will easily be a pro bowler next year and that will make us Bears Fans truley sick. He’s that good, he’s just been in the terrible Offensive system under Ron “the turd” Turner.

2. Jeff says:

Olsen and a third rd pick for one of the Pats second rounders…Im all for that but they need to throw in a third round pick.

I think he is a great player, but to clarify, I hope that if we trade for him, lets keep him. Espically with this draft, I feel like the picks are so valueable, that if we are going to give away a current pick for him, lets better our team instead of cutting him.

Love the Kirk Morrison thought! Him and Mayo, maybe through Guyton to OLB?

Sounds good to me!

4. Anonymous says:

Actually, I think if the Patriots do make the deal above and receive a 3rd rounder in return, they would draft the best blocking TE available with a later pick. Normally the blockers drop in the draft and the receiving TE’s are drafted higher.

Less than a week to go! I am psyched!

-AP

5. Anonymous says:

This makes much more sense…no way for a straight second rounder, not after seeing the market for them and other great players. I do think this guy will do very well here, and I like the idea of gaining the 3rd round pick. I like Olsen better than any of the top draftable TE’s, but I still love Pitta, and the big dude from Pitt, or any other later round TE…Dickson etc…Not the injured guys…no way…too high, and too many other options down the road.

6. Anonymous says:

Well, if the Patriots gave up a 2nd round pick for Olsen and a 3rd rounder (as the article suggests), then they could turn around and use that 3rd rounder to pry Kirk Morrison away from the Raiders. That wouldn’t be so bad, would it?

7. Anonymous says:

I think trading for Greg Olsen would be a great idea for the patriots. He’s not Tony Gonzalez but he’s more of a consistent pass catcher then Brady has had a TE. He will probly come at a fairly cheap price, the next two years hes due to earn a reported $550,000 and $650,000 in 2011. There is good valued talent at TE this draft but not exactly where the pats are picking in the 2nd rnd. More like the 3rd rnd and the pats dont hav any. All the tight end prospects arent going to be starters in the league and the pats have missed at the position again and again. I think Bill can swing something for a 3rd or 4th this year and a 3rd or 4th next year with Olsen for and the pats 47th or 53rd…Preferably 53.

Jnims

Sounds like garbage to me, because I hate how Bill wastes these picks on players, and then either dont sign them or trade them. Greg Lewis,Joey Galloway, along with THREE other TE’s last season. If we sign him, lets keep him. If we dont plan on keeping him, then dont trade for him.

9. Paul D says:

Pats head to Chicago next season so even if he joins us he’ll be playing there in 2010

*/ ?>