2010 Patriots NFL Mock Draft

We’ve done a 2010 NFL Mock Draft and a Patriots Dream Draft. Here is our (mostly) unbiased prediction for who the Patriots select during the 2010 NFL Draft.

Round 1: Pick 22
Maurkice Pouncey, OL, Florida
Jared Odrick or Rolando McClain would be ideal, but it looks like both will be long gone by the time the Patriots are on the clock. Pouncey is a big center, which is becoming a must in a division that features so many huge nose tackles. The former Florida Gator has some versatility as well, with the ability to fill both guard spots if the need arises.

Round 2: Pick 44
Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU
The Patriots might need to move up a little to grab this talented Horned Frog, but he will be well worth the price. He’s a couple of inches shorter than Belichick’s prototypical outside linebacker, but his athleticism allows him to play bigger. Should be able to upgrade the position Derrick Burgess filled in 2009 immediately.

Round 2: Pick 47
Dennis Pitta, TE, BYU
Pitta is exactly what the Patriots need on offense. He runs precise routes and catches everything thrown near him. Not a great blocker, but Alge Crumpler is on board to fill that role. Tony Moeaki, Aaron Hernandez, and Rob Gronkowski are all other options that the Patriots might explore at the Tight End position.

Round 2: Pick 53
Tyson Alualu, DE, California
Alualu is built like a tree trunk. He is tough to move at the point of attack and has the versatility to play the 3-tech and the 5-tech. Shows a great motor on tape and loves to play the game.

Round 4:
Emmanuel Sanders, WR, SMU
Very intriguing prospect that has the explosiveness needed to be a great #2 receiver in the NFL. Incredible combine performance caught the attention of many a NFL scout. Still needs some polish, but has tons of upside.

Round 5:
Deji Karim, RB, Southern Illinois
I see the Patriots packaging their 6th round pick and their two 7th round picks to move into the 5th round and select this talented runner. Karim has the ability to fill in for Kevin Faulk at 3rd-down back right away.

Round 6: (Comp)
John Skelton, QB, Fordham

Round 7: (Comp)
Mike Brandtner, P, Iowa State

Round 7: (Comp)
Mike McLaughlin, LB, Boston College

Round 7: (Comp)
Jameson Konz, ATH, Kent State

Tags: Mock Draft

13 Responses to “2010 Patriots NFL Mock Draft”

1. Anonymous says:

As for TE, I think it might be possible or reasonable for the Patriots to take Jimmy Graham. Here’s why, Bill like TE’s who have previously played PF, such as Antonio Gates. Plus, I believe that Graham has only played on season in College, however, he did extremely well. There for lots of upside potential, to be taught by one of the best in the game Alge Crumpler

2. Rich says:

I like the strategy and who they pick especially in the first and early second round depends on who is available. It is very possible that Jared Ordrick, Brandon Graham and Maurkice Pouncey could be available. I do think the Pats will go after 1 OL, 1 DE, 1 LB and 1 TE in the first two rounds. Pouncey who is the best center in the draft and can play other positions would be tough to pass on.

3. Anonymous says:

What do you guys think of the idea of the Patriots drafting Jermaine Gresham with their first pick in case Graham and Odrick aren’t there anymore?

4. Anonymous says:

One more thing I would like to point out, IF which is it a BIG IF, that Patriots could move up in the 10-11 range, there could be substantial value.
    Joe Haden Possibly, might be gone
    CJ Spiller
    Rolando McClain
    Jared Ordrick
    Brandon Graham
    Earl Thomas – ESPN was saying the backfield would be, an instant upgrade if the Patriots took him.
    Lastly, at 22 they might even be looking at Devin McCourty

5. Anonymous says:

It looks as though the Patriots are planning on taking a DE/OLB in the Second Round. I woudln’t be suprised if Pouncey ended up a Patriot if he is still there

6. Anonymous says:

Patriots tend to not make sexy picks! OL aren’t sexy, but they sure seem to work out well for them!

I also like Sanders in the 4th… something about him just makes me think he will be a good player for us.

I am noticing that NE Patriots Draft is reporting an awful lot of DE’s that the Patriots are bringing in. I feel like Odrick may be there guy, but if he is gone, they seem to be trying to find their options for the later rounds.

With all that said, I have a request for you guys… can you post a list of who the Patriots have had visits with separated by position?

Thanks – keep up the great work!

-AP

7. Anonymous says:

Two olb’s in the first 4 rounds. They like them at 6’4 250 at 4.65. Look at all of the past olb’s they have passed on in other drafts. Sapp, Te’o Nesheim, Wotten, Austin Lane may fit their idea.I hope they pick Matthews at rb at 22 and then add depth in other areas.

8. Anonymous says:

Pouncey, Chris Cook, Al Woods will be three of our picks.

9. Anonymous says:

I’ve been saying it for two months and everyone thinks I’m nuts. I love the pick. Pouncey is a beast!!! To win in this leauge, we need a healthy Brady 1st, then, pass rushers.

10. Anonymous says:

If Pouncey isn’t there my guess is Bill will trade out of the round.

11. Anonymous says:

To Anyone believing that there will be a ton of “sexy” picks good luck. To be honest, I want a “sexy” pick too, I’d love a solid RB or a fast WR, but this would be good as well. Neal is good but Pouncey could help out the O a lot. Our redzone O sucked, and any extended time in the pocket helps our WRs. His versatility could make our OK backs, into BETTER backs. I’m not even sure if Pouncey will be there at 22, looks as though there are a few teams in the hunt including the Steelers.

I think Konz is a dead on pick in the 7th maybe 6th, under Alge he could get a lot of help. I think there is a shot getting Moeki around that point too.

Lastly, I think that there is a good chance Bill drafts Austin Lane, espcially because he hasn’t said or interviewed with him yet. He is the PERFECT mold for OLB, he is Tall 6-7 and fast. But we will see..

12. Anonymous says:

I really dislike the mock draft. There are no “sexy pick” at all. I wouldn’t disagree with Jerry Hughes and Tyson Alualu but I don’t see the Patriots taking an offensive linemen in the first round when there are offensive playmakers like Golden Tate still on the board.

13. jonm says:

I really like this and would be thrilled to see it work out this way. For all the holes on this team, we’d suddenly look a lot more solid.