2010 Patriots NFL Mock Draft 2.0

After making some changes to our original Patriots NFL Mock Draft, here are the updated picks. Make sure to check out our full 2010 NFL Mock Draft as well.

Round 1: Pick 22
Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas
Kindle brings the athleticism needed to rush the passer form the OLB position, but we hope that he left his baggage in Texas. Has the size and speed that Belichick is looking for, although Vince Wilfork and company will need to keep his motor running hot. Jerry Hughes, Brandon Graham, and Ricky Sapp are other quality OLB’s in the draft, but all have either a size or injury issue.

Round 2: Pick 44
Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama
Very physical corner with decent size and good ball skills. The Patriots have taken eight defensive backs in the first 3 rounds this decade, and Jackson represents a good value here. Bodden, Butler, and Jackson would be a great CB corps for years. Amari Spievey is another guy we’d like here, especially if the Patriots can trade down into the 3rd round.

Round 2: Pick 47
Dennis Pitta, TE, BYU
Pitta is exactly what the Patriots need on offense. He runs precise routes and catches everything thrown near him. Not a great blocker, but Alge Crumpler is on board to fill that role. Tony Moeaki, Aaron Hernandez, and Rob Gronkowski are all other options that the Patriots might explore at the Tight End position.

Round 2: Pick 53
Alex Carrington, DE, Arkansas State
Big frame (6-6/285) with some room to fill out makes Carrington an intriguing 5-technique prospect. Carrington will hold up against the run, but a very quick first step will lead to some success rushing the passer as well. Tyson Alualu would be another option here.

Round 4:
Emmanuel Sanders, WR, SMU
Very intriguing prospect that has the explosiveness needed to be a great #2 receiver in the NFL. Incredible combine performance caught the attention of many a NFL scout. Still needs some polish, but has tons of upside.

Round 5:
Joique Bell, RB, Wayne State
I see the Patriots packaging their 6th round pick and their two 7th round picks to move into the 5th round and select this talented runner. Bell has the ability to fill in for Kevin Faulk at 3rd-down back right away.

Round 6: (Comp)
John Skelton, QB, Fordham

Round 7: (Comp)
Mike Brandtner, P, Iowa State

Round 7: (Comp)
Mike McLaughlin, LB, Boston College

Round 7: (Comp)
Jameson Konz, ATH, Kent State

Tags:

24 Responses to “2010 Patriots NFL Mock Draft 2.0”

1. Anonymous says:

Don’t like this draft at all! I think Pats will move out of first for a high 2nd & 3rd this year and 2nd next (where’s Oakland?)

Jared-
    I’ve read a few things on him saying his height weight and speed is why many teams that are looking at him want him in the 3-4 OLB. Never know, I’m fascinated by him, but that does not mean Bill is.

3. Jared says:

Correction to my last post, meant to say Austen Lane ISNT athletic enough to play OLB.

JNims

4. Jared says:

Watup Ryan, I hope your right about crazy Al man. Its just that he publicaly bitched about the Moss trade after Moss blew up here. It had to leave a bad taste in his mouth, hes is a crazy old man but hes got to think the Pats sort of owe the Raiders one. Even if he doesn’t think that way he has will be more careful with dealing with the Pats. It would be one thing if Mankins played a flashy, appealing position. I dont see Al, as crazy as he his- making a crazy trade for a gaurd. It would be good for us if he did, we can hope.
    As for Austen Lane… scouts say hes an interesting prospect. He could be a sleeper pick for someone, probably not the Patriots. I suspect with the long term signing of big Vince, to go back to Bills specialty… The 3-4. Lane looks like a good 4-3 DT. I dont think he’s big enough to take double-teams all day like T.Warren and Seymour. And he’s definately athletic enough to play OLB in the 3-4. I could be wrong about Bill sticking with the 3-4, its just what has worked in the past. If they still want to play a lot of 4-3, Austen Lane would be a good pick.

JNims

I can see Mankins getting traded and heres why:
    Two Words:
    AL DAVIS

If Al Davis, trades us someone or somthing that is completely and utterly amazing I could see it happening, provided we pick up an OL somehwere along the way during the draft.

Jared:
    Austin Lane?

6. Jared says:

I dont think so man, i hope not. I heard all the stuff that was said about him being “so mad he couldn’t see straight” was manafactured by his agent. Mankins is known to be a layed back, whatever happens happens kind of guy. He wears john deer hats and lives back home. I dont think that hes trying to break the bank even though hes due what may be his only big money deal. Hes the pats best lineman and hes still in his prime. If they had even one good, potential starter it would make sense. in the long run, i think the Pats will be able to strike a deal that satisfies both sides. They kept Stephen Neal here forever and he has been injury-prone and more inconsistent. Pats need to get better THIS year, Logan is one of their best players and character guys. I hope he sticks around.

JNims

7. brett says:

any one think that mankins might get traded? possable late first round pick or early second. I am just wondering what everyone else thinks

8. Jared says:

I agree that they need to add depth a DB but adding depth doesnt mean spending your first pick on one. Thats what you do if you need a starter…like they do at LB and DE. And for that matter WR and TE. To me, drafting a corner would be the same as taking Pouncey for the O-line. Our O-line also needs to add DEPTH…not in the first round. The secondary needs a solid nickel-back, u can get that in the third round OR via trade or a pluck someone when roster cuts come.

JNims

9. Jared says:

I agree that McKenzie could surprise people. Its just that Bill drafts them in the 3rd rnd, Bill has never drafted a LB besides Mayo and they got him 10th overall, cant miss. If you draft a LB in the 3rd Rnd, and both were…if they make the team and play special teams your lucky. Crable is a physical specimen, but three years man. What player at any position has done nothing his first three years,injury or no injuries…and come back to being a starter. Not happening,
    McKenzie could hopefully play some MLB. Its just that he comes a a lower pick, from a small conference and would alredy have to make a huge jump. Then he tears his knee up, its gonna be a big year for him. I hope he has a great year but i think are expectations should be low.
    As for McCourty, agree to disagree man. Whos playing DE with big Vince and Ty Warren this year…i like Mike Wright but hes a backup.
    I hate to say it but our secondary is the strength of our defense and thats kind of scary.

JNims

10. Anonymous says:

Jared…PS

McCourty will be a shutdown corner in the NFL for many years to come. He also is great on special teams. The Patriot’s lack depth at the DB position and need to address it with the best available CB.

11. Anonymous says:

Jared….You can’t dismiss both players because you have not seen either play in a Patriots uniform…That can be said about any of the players in this years draft. My point is Bill thought enough of them to draft them both in the third round and have had a year to learn he system and are now health…Keep the faith brother!

12. Jared says:

P.S. what have people seen from Shawn Crable and Tyronne McKenzie that makes them think they can play. Between the two of them they both have made ZERO contribution in a Pats unifrom. McKenzie you feel bad for, heard good things then he gets hurt in training camp. But Crable? Hes been here foe three years and has yet to even stay healthy never mind actually play. If the pats are hanging their hats on the LB core being better due to those two, we’ll all be disappointed…again

JNims

13. Jared says:

I like the last posts mock. Gronkowski, Decker and Sapp would be great picks. Disagree in two ways…McCourty at 22 would be a reach and they have bigger needs than corner. If the pats want to make corner their first pick i think they will do what they did last year with Chung and get another 2nd rnd pick next year. Maybe grab Kareem Jackson. Lots of high picks in that secondary-( Chung, Meriweather, and Butler. Not to mention their best corner just signed a three year deal-(Bodden). Darius Butler is the wild-card, Belichick said last year before the draft that Butler was THE most athletic corner he had ever worked out. If Bill thinks hes a starter, no way they pick a corner first. The Pats could have Asante, Nhamdi and Revis back there and they would get burned with our non-existent passrush. One way or the other, between the first two rnds or through trade the Pats need to impact their front seven. It is the weakness of our team and when they were winning 3 out of 4 rings it was their strength. Lots of guys that would fit, the only position that couldnt use help would be the nose.
    My front seven “BigBoard”….
    1. McClain- SILB
    2. Pierre-Paul – OLB
    3. Odrick- 3-4 DE
    4. Kindle- OLB
    5. Weatherspoon – OLB
    6. Hughes – OLB
    7. Sapp -OLB
    8. Alualu – 3-4 DE
    9. Brandon Spikes- SILB
    10. Worilds – OLB
    11. Te’o Nesheim-OLB
    12. Chaney- ILB

JNims

14. Anonymous says:

I saw Decker play at Minnesota…6′-3′ 220lbs and very soft hands. I believe he will be off the board by #53 so that Pat’s may want to take him earlier. Tom will love throwing to his new bonfied #2 receiver. Decker will be the second WR off the board right behind DEZ.

15. Anonymous says:

You call this a draft?

You need to think outside the box.

I agree with the last post..Take the highest rated player on Pat’s big board that falls to #22 or move up if needed. Kindle is overrated.

This makes more sense..

#22-Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
    #44-Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
    #47-Ricky Sapp, DE, Clemson +(Tyrone McKenzie, Shawn Crable) these dudes have game if healthy…and both are!
    #53-Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota

The rest of the draft- Best player available.

16. Anonymous says:

This draft blows! The Patriots will take the best available player that falls to #22… reguardless of the position. There are better players in this draft that are rated much higher then Kindle and if they fall to #22 watch out.

Same with slots 44, 47 and 53.

17. Anonymous says:

I love the first 3 picks, but I don’t see Carrington…just doesn’t have the skill/game to go with his size, not that high, maybe mid rounds as a reach to make the practice squad, but no up grade at all.

18. Jared says:

I do like this mock better. The other one was depressing for a pats fan. O-line in the first round? Our O-line is the only solid group we have at ANY position. I think Graham from Mich is probly the best pass-rusher in the draft but scouts dont think hes a linebacker. I like the Kindle pick at 22. I just dont think in THE most important draft Bill has ever had here,ya i said it. Dont think hes gonna pick someone with so many questions about him… his effort and consistency were put into question last year and for good reason. The year before when he was playing opposite of Orakpo he was a beast. Last year he was still a force but was off and on all year.

JNims

19. Jared says:

You dont want Osi hobbling around at OLB here. Go to the Osi story on this site and read what i wrote…

JNims

Has anyone else seen comments about Usi, possibly being traded?

21. NFL Draft God says:

@Jeff – Can’t have enough good DL’s.

@Anon – Emmanuel Sanders is just as good as those guys, and you can get him in the 4th round.

22. Jeff says:

I like the draft except for the DE pick Alex Carrington…they drafted 3 DTS last year and added Damion Lewis few weeks ago. So, in my opinion a WR makes a lot more sense…three WR’s I have in mind are Tate, Damian Williams and Andre Roberts….

23. Anonymous says:

Thank you so much for taking off the Maurkice Pouncey pick from the first round. Great pick with Sergio Kindle. I dont know about some of the second round picks… I think Gronkowski would make a better pick than Pitta if hes available there. Also I think taking a wide receiver (Golden Tate/ Arrelious Benn/ Brandon LaFell/ Andre Roberts) or even a runningback (Jahvid Best/ Dexter McCluster/ Jonathan Dwyer/ Toby Gerhart) should be considered before a cornerback in the second round.

I really like this mock draft, Sergio would be great. I think Brandon Graham is the overall top rated player by ESPN at the OLB 3-4 position. If he is available it might be tough for the Pats to decide who they want.

Love the Kareem Jackson pick, him or Kyle Wilson would be an awesome pick up. Hopefully, one of them is still available.

We do need a TE, perhaps Pitta might be one of the most under hyped TE’s here.

Personally, three things to think about.
    1. WR early or late? (most suggest first pick of the second round)
    2. DE early or Late? I personally say in the 2nd.
    3. OL Bill loves to pick up guys for the OL, I’m sure some where he will pick up an OL guy.

*/ ?>