2010 NFL Draft: With the 62nd Pick…

With the 62nd pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Patriots have selected Brandon Spikes, inside linebacker from Florida.

Spikes should play SILB, or the “Mike”, for the Patriots. This will potentially allow Jerod Mayo to move to the “Will” position. Spikes isn’t the fastest linebacker (5.0 40 yard dash) but he has great instincts and tackling skills. Spikes was quoted in his media conference call saying, “Bill Belichick knows pretty much everything about me.”

Spikes joins Devin McCourty, Rob Gronkowski, and Jermaine Cunningham as the newest Patriots.

Tags: Brandon Spikes, Draft Picks

26 Responses to “2010 NFL Draft: With the 62nd Pick…”

1. Anonymous says:

Information from FF Toolbox in 2/2010: He stands at 6'3'' and has gotten progressively bigger and stronger throughout his career, now registering around 255 pounds. Size is his best asset, but he has adequate speed — sometimes running under 4.7 in the 40-yard dash. He will make his living at the next level, however, with his instincts and toughness. Spikes is quick to the ball carrier and he is right at home in the hard-hitting SEC. In addition to stopping the run, Spikes is surprisingly efficient in pass defense for a linebacker of his size. Once considered a sure thing first-rounder, Spikes should still hear his name called in round one (although it would be not be a total shock to see him slip into the early second).

2. Anonymous says:

3 Florida players in one draft? F yeah.

3. Anonymous says:

This kid looks like a very nasty human in the Bryan Cox mode. The Pats need a guy like him – a lot of good guys and some young leaders but with Spikes they just got a lot meaner. Great pick-up.

4. Anonymous says:

This pick will pay off real soon.

5. Jared says:

Love spikes, perfect pick. Love that hes an animal, we needed some bad MF’s… week 1 starter. Screw the 40 time, the kid makes plays all the field. He doesnt just fill a hole, he lets Mayo plays his position(WILB)-and Guyton Play his(OLB). Serious boost to our front seven. Plus I think it says back to whats workd for Bill…the 3-4!!!

JNIMS

6. Anonymous says:

He also “3-stooges eye-poke” a player they were playing against.

reminds me of Wilfork’s “pokey” couple yrs ago..

7. Anonymous says:

Spikes had some foot and groin injuries that slowed him up this year. I read somewhere he timed around 4.7 prior to the injuries. Perhaps that is what Urban Meyer shared with his buddy BB.

8. Anonymous says:

Geez. We have 5 7th-round picks. 3 are compensary-picks, so cannot be traded. I hope they trade the 2 of these picks to move up in the 4th-round, or 5th-round, or 6th-round.

IMO – next pick in the 4th-round will be a DE.
    5th-round, probably a OG.
    6th-round, is a Kicker.
    7th-round, DT/LB.

9. alex says:

there backup preety good but a 6th or 7th round pick wont be a waist for a quality qb

10. Anonymous says:

I love how we work the draft,now we got a 2011 2nd round pick from CAR and 1st rnd OAK and 4 2nd rnd picks all together in the 2011 draft.NOW THATS WUT IM TALKIN ABOUT!!!!!!!

11. Anonymous says:

Was his slow-speed in the Combine, just a fluke? We already got a bust, ala, Shawn Crable.

Hope Spikes is a durable LB..

12. Anonymous says:

Now that we got TP we def need to work on da defense wit the rest of our picks

13. Anonymous says:

dont sleep on Taylor Price he’s kinda nice, at least BB thinks so!!

14. Anonymous says:

what is wrong with their backup they have for qb behind brady? Brian Hoyer he isn’t bad don’t waiste picks on qb’s he is only 24 years old also take a great yuong wide or some trench workers.

15. Anonymous says:

how about max hall from BYU in the 6th of 7th round he would be a solid backup and brady would help him develop for a brilliant NFL career

16. Anonymous says:

let’s get some boys for the tenches now maybe a guard or offensive tackle or one more defensive end pass rusher or run stopper maybe go all defense lol why not. peace out fellow NE fans :)

17. Anonymous says:

Colt mcoy would be nice at this point even though I like the pats backup I think he isn’t bad. I would like one more pass rusher I think their fine without a wide they have torry holt and I heard they may make a deale for branch still..

18. Anonymous says:

got dammnnnnn lol this my girl step brotha lol

19. Anonymous says:

so much happier now that the draft is coming together….a lot of teams are making the “what the?” kind of pick that I said when we passed on Bryant (I did know McCourty was a good prospect, so no disrespect to him). This basically allowed us to address every defensive need, and adding two 3rd’s and a 5th. Now we can get some value at the offensive positions, hopefully a guard is our next pick though. I smell LeGarete Blount in the 4th.

20. Anonymous says:

Yes, at least I hit on one of my picks. the article just made the point for me. I know he’s not the fastest guy, but we got Mayo to squeeze the play in. Wait till you see guy. he’s like a pitbull after steak going after the football. All we need hopefully it’s for Pryor or Brace to perform on the RDE. Hopefully we can pick another OLB….Ricky Sapp anybody? Leave WRs for the fourth and fifth round still quality there.

21. Anonymous says:

I like what we have done so far but i feel that we need another WR like Shipley with the next pick

22. Anonymous says:

we getting several picks by trading down and still getting much talent if we take McCoy next we get a Brady of the future and a solid backup like Cassel

23. justin says:

Whooooo Hooooooooo!!!!!

24. Anonymous says:

we have LB corps again!

25. Anonymous says:

Stop the press! I really was praying for BB to pick this kid!

26. Matt says: