2010 NFL Draft: Day Two Targets

After shoring up the defensive secondary by picking Rutgers cornerback Devin McCourty, the Patriots have some needs to address on both sides of the ball tomorrow.

Here is who we see them targeting:

Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas
The Patriots will probably have to trade up from the #44 spot to land Kindle, but his pass-rush skills are greatly needed in Foxboro.

Ricky Sapp, OLB, Clemson
As with Kindle, Sapp brings some much needed pass-rush ability to the table. Unlike Kindle, however, Sapp could be there for us at pick #44.

Brian Price, DE, UCLA / Everson Griffen, DE, USC / Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
Two guys from LA  and a Gator with similar problems: taking plays off and questions about position fit. Not sure Price can dominate in the 5-tech, and not sure Griffen can play 3-4 OLB. Dunlap has off the field issues and loafing problems. That said, they are incredibly talented athletes.

Linval Joseph, DL, East Carolina
Joseph is a guy that can stop the run, whether he plays the 5-tech, 3-tech, or nose. Very strong at the POA.

Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
To select Tate, the Patriots might have to trade up to pick #33 with the St. Louis Rams. If they can pull it off though, Tate is an explosive receiver that can instantly upgrade the WR position opposite Randy Moss.

Dexter McCluster, RB, Ole Miss
Kevin Faulk 2.0 is an incredible football player, that just happens to be pretty tiny. If the Patriots feel like he can hold up, his versatility and elusiveness is top-notch.

Marcus Easley, WR, UConn / Andre Roberts, WR, Citadel / Mardy Gilyard, WR, Cinci

If the Patriots can’t get Golden Tate, either of these wideouts would provide some good value in the 3rd round. Both are absolutely fearless over the middle.

Koa Misi, DE, Utah / AJ Edds, OLB, Iowa
Both are very versatile guys, with Misi being able to play DE, OLB, and we feel SILB for the Patriots. Edds is a guy that can really cover, but will have to fit at either the MIKE or WILL to get picked.

35 Responses to “2010 NFL Draft: Day Two Targets”

1. Jared says:

I like Tully, but give me a break man. He had half his sacks in two games against the worst O-line in the league…Buffalo. against good teams. Balt, Indy. NO- Wright and Tully were non-existant. They need a playmaker on the front seven. In my opinion, Tully and Guyton should be 3rd down guys. And if Mike Wright is going to be anchoring one side of line, I think our run defense will struggle.

JNIMS

2. Anonymous says:

What about a TE they have nobody?

P.S. –
    Some believe tully was a fluke. Which i hope its not. Others believe/know Adalius Thomas will be exciting.

We trade seymour and jarvis green, who is supposedly going to man that DE spot?

4. Anonymous says:

PS….Tully had 10 sacks last year…Mike Wright had 5 – you saying both these players need upgrading? If so, what so-called pass rushers would provide more in this draft? How many more DL do we need? OLB?

5. Anonymous says:

BooooooHoooo we didn’t get a so-called pass rusher in the first round…big deal!

Player pass rushing only works if you have the correct schemes layed out. It’s all based on timing and execution. Now that Dean PeeBrain is gone (Yahooo) maybe..just maybe our execution and defensive play calling will be better.

Jared-
    Hopefully Al gets nervous, and sends him over here. As long as it like for a fourth or somthing, so we feel like we got a good deal.

What you think about that FB from Utah?

7. Jared says:

Ryan…didnt hear they were shoppin McFadden, he doesn’t really fit our scheme but I’l take any playmakers on offense. And I would love to see Morrison here. Especially since hed make a whopping 2 MLB’s on the roster.

JNIMS

Jared-
    Are you a little less bitter today? Did you see that Sports Science video on McCorty, very interesting.

I think Ultimately it will come down between McCluster and Tate, I say McCluster. But Tate would be good as well. I see us moving a lot here. But we’ll see

9. Jared says:

I here the Sapp criticism. I think the infatuation w/ fans is there with Sapp because of his size. Patriots only draft OLB’s that are 6-4 or 6-5 . 250 or 260. And hes a complete player. Not a transition guy, was asked to play OLB and cover-and hand on the ground rush at DE. I think a guy no-one is talkin about thats most scouts have ranked higher than Sapp is Koa Misi. But a whole inch shorter than Bill likes so his relentless motor and pass-rushing skills could get overlooked.

JNIMS

10. Anonymous says:

What is it with the Ricky Sapp obsession on this board? He was unproductive at Clemson — played four full seasons and yet never once had more than 6 sacks in a season. He had 17 for his career. And he’s supposed to be our pass rush savior? Absurd. It’s fantasy. Give me the productive guy, even if he played at a small school or didn’t have the best measurables.

11. Jared says:

Not the last post. The Gronkowski, Sapp and Houston post.

12. Jared says:

I like the last post. I love L.Houston from Texas as a 3-4 DE. But if the Pats move up for anyone, it should be Golden Tate or Ricky Sapp. The more unlikely is Tate, i think he only lasts till KC at 37. And Miami has SD pick at 40, they need an OLB worse than we do. They already passed on Sergio Kindle twice, so i think is Sapp and Kindle are there at 40. Miami?s takin Sapp. I think if the Pats want to gamble on a position its TE. They’re are a good five or six that could help our passing game. And tightend is always one of the last positions of interest for teams. They can use a pick this year or next year to move up in the 3rd round to take a TE, waiting until 90 mite be a gamble. Besides Houston, Tate, and Sapp- I like Brandon spikes with that 53rd pick. If they cant get Tate or McCluster i wouldn’t take a WR in the second. I like E.Sanders and Andre Roberts as much as Decker and Benn and you could get them 30 or 40 picks later.
    Long story short, besides McCluster or Tate I go all defense in the second round. Offense in the third and fourth, i think Bill’s gonna make a couple of trades. Hopefully we can grab another pick in the 3rd round. Maybe turn 47 or 53 into two thirds somehow. I would like to see them take five of the next 5 of the next 80 picks.

JNIMS

13. Anonymous says:

Guys…Bill called to let me know that this is the way he is planning to go:

#44-Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
    #47-Ricky Sapp, DE, Clemson +(Tyrone McKenzie, Shawn Crable) these dudes have game if healthy…and both are!
    #53-Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota

Keep the faith brothers:)

JimC

14. Anonymous says:

I think they should manuver to take Gronkowski asap. After that I believe Misi should be taken at #47. pick #53 should be used on Lamarr Houston from Texas to play end in the 3-4. Wait to round three to get WR Decker and round 4 to get a back, either kid from GT, Tenn or Oregon.

15. Anonymous says:

If Pats really wanted Kimble they would have taken him last night at 27. I believe the OLB they covet in 2nd round is Ricky Sapp. He is taller with long wing span and fits the prototype size they like in OLB. He allegedly had a six hour private workout with the Pats.
    Koa Misi would be the consolation perhaps at 57.

16. Anonymous says:

the 3rd round pick-up allows us to wait on a TE pick….I think if Sapp is on the board with the first pick in the 2nd, he’s ours; if not him, Griffen or Kindle. The 2nd pick should be best WR available. I would love Decker, but Gilyard also seems like a BB type of receiver. 3rd pick should just be best player left out of the RB’s, and DE/OLB’s. Then use the 3rd rounder on a TE like Pitta or Moeaki. This would make our draft pretty successful IMO.

Personally, I do not want a TE anywhere near a 2nd round pick. OLB, DE and WR

Those are my choices?

Maybe trade a 2nd for Al Davis for Morrion ILB and McFadden, since he is shopping them.

18. Anonymous says:

Here are my picks from a prior post and I’m sticking with it…JimC

Anonymous said…

You call this a draft?

You need to think outside the box.

I agree with the last post..Take the highest rated player on Pat’s big board that falls to #22 or move up if needed. Kindle is overrated.

This makes more sense..

#22-Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
    #44-Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
    #53-Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota

The rest of the draft- Best player available.

April 18, 2010 6:56 PM

I also like the the thought of a full back. Some weird named guy from Utah maybe.. It could help red zone D

20. Anonymous says:

idk bout the rest of u but im ooobr excited!!

21. Anonymous says:

I think Lane makes a lot of sense; he’s tall and rangy and can probably play outside and as well as in a three point stance. I also see them drafting the TE Moeaki. I think they pass on the h-back types (Hernandez, Pitta), and Gronkowski may be too much of a risk. McCluster also seems like a good fit. The one guy that would really intrigue me would be Hardesty. I think he’s the only remaining back that can truly be an every down back.

22. Anonymous says:

Price and Griffen are No’s. Pat’s never pick guys who lack motivation.

Kindle will probably be gone by the time we pick again, and Bill doesn’t trade up in less its for a random guy no one has heard of.

We got Brace (greaaaaat pick (sarcasm)) last year and resigned Wilfork so NT isnt considered a need.

Golden is too much like Brandon Tate.

Probably will be Gilyard or McCluster, because of how they can play anywhere.

While we do this, the Jets and Dolphins will keep filling positons of need and getting stronger, we can always count on the bills though to make us not feel like the dumbest kid in the class

23. Anonymous says:

With how Bill has drafted the last two years, I see us trading one of those 2nd rounders for two more 4th’s. We probably get a guard and NT, there is no reason to, but hey because he nailed a 6th round pick once 10 years ago, he is beyond reproach

24. Anonymous says:

You posters are too emotional…The JETS have great so-called corners but elected to draft a corner also. Why? Because they are so smart and Bill is so dumd? Devin McCourty is the fastest, most MAN on MAN coverage PRO ready CB in the draft…I’m suprised he was still there @ 27. He is also a great special teamer. This draft is loaded in the second round…be patient!

25. Anonymous says:

The Patriots aren’t the only team that was thinking Wilson was not a number one corner. He fell pretty much off the board. And if Bill was saying that he was gong to take him at 22 regardly but we gained an extra pick I would be happy about that.

Do you think that if there was a number one corner on the board, Bill would leave him up there? I think not..

26. Anonymous says:

Why is that everyone thinks Kyle Wilson is such a stud? Because his numbers were against lack luster teams? Do a comparison of McCourty v. Kyle Wilson, he graded out 2 pooints higher, that does not under any circumstances mean that McCorty cannot be a 1 corner. I sugged that before you speak you think about what you are saying. I also believe that some belive he has the best coverage skills and tackling skills in the draft at CB, as well as being lightening quick. If you wanted to compare him with Kareem Jackson, sure I might bite. But I do not think that Kyle Wilson will be a head over heels bette player.

Kindle: I dont know if anyone has seen this.
    Possible knee problems, Add, and Narcelpsy, saw that on boston globe.

Sounds like a broke record

27. Anonymous says:

Although the fact that 3 teams picked cbs before kyle wilson went could mean they know something we don’t. The jets will be a great enviroment for him to develop without the pressure of being expected to unseat either starters immediatly.

28. Anonymous says:

I was hoping when he fell to them they would take Kyle Wilson. The Pats need an answer at #1 corner for the future. Bodden only has limited window, a minor injury at this stage of his career could be devestating. Butler will be a solid #2 for them going forward, I see McCourty as a #2 also, probably be the nickel on this team as wheatly and wilhite battle to be #4, which is where they belong. So although a solid,”safe pick” not getting a starter in the first round isn’t what I hoped for, and if he starts it would be at the expense of butlers development. I hope we come out of the next two rounds with Kindle, McCluster, and Benn or Gilyard.

29. Jeff says:

The Pats need to stop with the “Value pick” and take the best player that fills a NEED!

Koa Misi and AJ Edds are not impact players…FACT…using a 2nd round pick on either of these guys is a stupid move…but seeing that the Pats are drafting special teams players in the 1st maybe they move up to get either Koa or AJ….BB needs to watch how Polian does this drafting thing.

30. Anonymous says:

The Pats will probably go after Ricky Sapp and McCluster. They’ll trade their third 2nd round pick.

I think there is something seriously wrong with Sergio Kindle for him to drop out of the 1st round all together. He was clearly not on the Pats board.

I know I have said this on the other boards, but for OLB Austin Lane is a FREAK. He is tall 6-7, fast and a good vert. Next, Thaddeus Gibson (possible sleeper). I think that 3rd might end up in Oakland for Morrison. Atleast I hope so.

As for DE’s gosh not much to say there. Not real impressed with any of them as far as fit. Everson Griffen probably towards the top. Even though I dont really like him. Koa Misi I like the thought. Daryl Washington, what about Navarro Bowman from Linebacker U? Plus Sapp and Kindle I dont see Kindle coming our way.

I think McCluster is a MUST have. He can play three different positions, and he is illusive.

I like Andre Roberts as well as Emanuel Sanders.

Look for a TE late, I’m sure they will run in strings.

I also think Brandon Spikes, would be a nice fit. But I think we could get him in the third.

32. Anonymous says:

Griffin…size/speed freak…let him play situationally at first, then learn to play the position, but at least he can go get the QB.

33. Anonymous says:

I want Joseph to play that DT/DE 5 technique…he’s a stud…better than Odrick…go get him! I want McCluster and Pitta, and maybe Sapp, or whoever they want on the OLB position. Don’t be surprised if they take Spikes either…he’s a winner and a tough dude.

34. Anonymous says:

All I can say now is we have 4 picks in the top 53, and we’ve gained the 90th pick…brilliant. But, I wanted these top 4 picks to be solid positional player, and I thought one would have to be a CB. Well, they got a top CB, and a bonus with his special teams play, which is a huge asset.

Now I want 3 more solid football players like McCourtey. His pick showed me they are on track, no matter what all the cheerleading/confused Pats fans are thinking by critizing that 1st pick.

Watch more magic with this 2nd round. Keep in mind when they gain top picks like a 3rd, they can use that bonus pick to take a stab at a potential starter/star…someone like Graham from Miami, then if he works out it’s brilliant, or they can take a starting OL, LB, WR, pass rusher etc…it’s another top pick at #90; you’re talking about the top players in all of football at 90…all pros are drafter in the 3rd every year.

35. Anonymous says:

I think you have to throw Koa Misi and Daryl Washington into the OLB mix.