Patriots Looking to Trade Up?

According to SFGate.com, an “unnamed team” is interested in dealing for the #8 pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, which belongs to the Oakland Raiders. The “mystery” team is reportedly offering a 2011 1st Round Pick and a 2nd rounder in 2010.

While this easily could be the Eagles or some other team, just think for a minute – which team already has an extra 1st round draft pick next year, and three 2nd round selections in 2010? Well that would be the Patriots of course, and it just so happens that they own Oakland’s 1st rounder in 2011.

If it is the Patriots eying the 8th pick in the NFL Draft, which is a BIG if, who might they be targeting? Rolando McClain (LB, Alabama), Joe Haden (CB, Florida), as well as any number of the talented O-linemen in this year’s class immediately come to mind. Clemson RB CJ Spiller as well as DE’s Jason Pierre-Paul and Derrick Morgan would also probably be in the conversation.

Patriot fans are always concerned when Belichick trades down… it will be very interesting to see what they think if he should trade up.

Tags: Rumors, Trade

27 Responses to “Patriots Looking to Trade Up?”

1. Anonymous says:

why would you give a first round and a second round, just for a eighth round pick. that’s a horrible trade.

2. Anonymous says:

another ILB???????? I’m with you anonymous.. If you trade up better get someone like Berry, a great player and a game changer for the D…

3. Patriots Rule says:

First of all, the Patriots would be trading the RAIDERS 1st round pick back to them… almost guaranteed to be a top 12 pick.

Rolando McClain would take the place of Mayo, moving Mayo to Guyton’s spot.

4. Anonymous says:

I just don’t get why a lot of people in here suggests trading up for Rolando McClain?? Unless you are thinking to move him to the outside because I don’t get why we would pick another ILB with Mayo already here and having a huge need for a premier pass rusher on the outside… I would prefer to use one of the second rounders to pick up Spikes to couple him with Mayo (I don’t care about his 5.03 40 time but when you see him play, he is much faster than that)

5. Anonymous says:

You have to go cant miss at #8 so that leaves only few picks. CJ Spillman, Mclain, Haden, or Berry and that’s about it. My guess is that they move up 3 at most and take DE,OLB in the 1st and the position not taken plus WR and TE in the 2nd. Odrick or Graham then depending in which of those gets picked you would see Sapp, Grownkowski and Williams or swap Sapp for Cory Wooten.

6. Anonymous says:

The deal would have to include Oakland and NE swapping first round picks this year, and if that isn’t the case then it wouldn’t make sense for Oakland. Oakland would only be getting 1 extra pick for the 8th pick in the draft.

7. Anonymous says:

An interesting idea and rumor, but according to the “Trade Value Chart”,not something that is apt to take place. Oakland’s 2010 #12 pick has a value of 1,400 points. Even if we were to offer them both our 22nd and 44th picks this year, that amounts to only 1,240 points. I’d be reluctant, given the team’s needs,to trade those 2 picks. If we were to agree to send Oakland OUR #1 pick in 2011 (not the one we picked up from them via trade), we would have to have a very mediocre season for this #1 pick to be of value to Oakland along with one of our 2010-2nd rounders. Again, based on the Trade Value Chart, if we gave them our #53 pick this year (370 points), then in 2011 we would have to land in the 17th slot in the draft (950 points) to get anywhere near the 1,400 point value of Oakland’s #8 pick this year. I don’t thing that N.E. will be picking that high next year, and, I don’t think Oakland will roll-the-dice in that we’ll be drafting that high. “Point-wise”, I just don’t see a good match (for them) with giving them one of our 2nds this year and the projected value of our 1st pick next year, no matter how you juggle the values. That being said, IT’S OAKLAND! IT’S BIG AL! bad decisions have been made in the past.

8. Blue-berry says:

Rolando McClain went to Alabama and was coached by Nick Saban. BB is taken a look. Don’t forget the Dolphins got rid of Joey Porter and will be looking at this guy also

9. Anonymous says:

Football is like the “Time value of Money”…The money you have in hand is always more valuable then the money you can potentially make a year from now. BB needs to make this trade, if it is presented to him, in order to get McClain or Berry. Win Superbowls for today!!!!

10. Anonymous says:

I think if they do make this trade up it would have to be for Rolando McClain. We need to do something big to get us back on track and I think it’s time to cash our “trade downs for next year” to pay off. In my little fantasy world I wish they would do this and trade up again for Suh but I know that isn’t going to happen.

11. Anonymous says:

I don’t like Spiller when there are other players later in the draft. Same w WR.

It should be for DL or OL positions. If OL then trade an OL. Would b e great to have a LT and trade Light and Thomas to Seahawks for second rounder and move Vollmer to right trackle.

If Pats take C/G Pouncey, then it looks like the last year for Neal or maybe even Koppen.

12. Anonymous says:

David – I kinda disagree with ya. The Patriots tend to be frugal with their money – but that is due to the salary cap, not because they don’t have it to spend. Where this year, and possible following years, there is no cap.

This would allow them 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders this year.

I also agree with Anonymous… For Spiller I will throw up too! Not because of him specifically, just that I don’t feel RB is the place I would spend the 8th pick, or 22… and DEFINITELY NOT on Dez Bryant.

It would have to be defense.

Hey – here is a crazy idea. Would they move those picks to get into position where they could trade 8 and 22 to the Rams or Detroit for a chance at SUH?

For me, I like the idea of staying put, keeping next years Raiders top 10 pick… and drafting 4 players this year in our 3 biggest needs…

-AP

13. Russ in Methuen says:

It would have to be McClain he wants. He is by far the best LB in the draft. He won’t get past Denver at #10

14. Nick says:

I hope they don’t make this deal. Take a look at Scouts Inc. top 60 prospects. There are are several highly rated TE’s, DE’s, and OLB’s that are littered throughout the second round. This could be a great year to fill out the team for the future.

15. draft says:

That would be the smartest thing they could do. 1 great player is better than 2 ok players. i hope they get either morgan DE or RB spiller

16. Anonymous says:

That all sounds very good but very unpats like. I woulnd’t actually mind trading down our first to any of the teams picking from 1-5 for their second and third.
    That way you don’t drop to far off the first round and add a third round pick.
    I would love to see the draft pan out this way fo NE.

2nd Round
    -Jared Odrick de
    -Demayrus Thomas wr
    -Ricky Sapp olb
    -Brandon Spikes olb
    and with the third pick
    -Modesto Hardesty rb

17. Anonymous says:

Stop it…if its for CJ Spiller, I’ll throw up. RB’s can be found later in the draft. What if Eric Berry dropped? Would they pull the trigger, eventhough we have great depth at safety. To pay that kind of money, the Pats would really need to be sure that this kid is a star so I’d say its for Berry or McClain and with a small possibility its for Haden. The Pats wouldn’t make this move unless the player they covet is still on the board so it def wouldn’t be until draft day.

18. Anonymous says:

Would like to see it for McClain then Odrick at 22 then the best two players available at OLB/TE/WR for the two 2nd rounders

19. Anonymous says:

Whatever i’m just glad we may possibly actually be trying to improve our team that got DESTROOOOYYED in the first round of the playoffs last year.

20. David says:

I don’t see the Pats going this route for one reason: the cost of signing a top-10 player. They’ve given big money to Wilfork with Brady and perhaps Mankins on deck.
    They are perfectly situated now, in a deep draft, to get at least 3 bona fide impact players. They can let the draft come to them. Can’t imagine that the Pats want to pay both the 8th and 22nd pick.

21. Anonymous says:

Maybe they go to #8 and deal again to get to #2 where they take one of the tackles or have their pick of both? Not out of the question…Once in the top 10 a team would be more willing to drop back only a few knowing they’ll still get a great talent, while saving ten million or so, and gaining another pick of quality. Many teams SHOULD be doing just this, so it makes sense.

22. Anonymous says:

I would doubt Spiller, but maybe Berry where they could move him to corner. Maybe McLain, but I doubt Haden or JPP. They have Vollmer for the left side, so I don’t think it would be a tackle. Morgan??? Great player, but does he fit? I think Berry or Thomas and move them corner or just let them play some safety also. Bryant? His workout was terrible, but I love this guy…hard to find talented receivers who aren’t a bit nuts, but he would be deadly with Brady tossing to him and Moss on the other side.

23. Anonymous says:

I wouldn’t doubt if it were the Pats…only makes sense for them to use all these picks (this year & next) to get a pro bowl caliber talent. I made this comment under the big board earlier. I would love for them to do something aggressive like this to get a beast of a player.

24. Anonymous says:

I would love it if they pulled the trigger on this… assuming we still make our own first round pick and the other 2 second round picks. If we do this deal only to turn around and trade back our #1 and or 1 of the remaining 2 #2′s then I think it’s a wash.

25. AlexR5111 says:

The other thing I would add, is how Oakland and New England are such frequent trade partners. If it’s THEIR OWN first rounder next year, and it’s for Rolando McClain…DO IT UP. If it’s Oakland’s and it’s for someone else, I’m not as enthused. Besides, I’m sure this is all dependent on whether or not the specific player they’re targeting is available when Oakland goes on the clock. We may never know if it was the Pats or not.

26. ctpatsfan says:

The Patriots should make this deal immediately, although we all know that it wouldn’t happen until draft day.

27. Anonymous says:

if it’s for CJ Spiller I’m all for it. That’s assuming Spiller is there at #8.