By: Brian DeLaBarrera
* “Oh yeah, you should probably start applying for other jobs…” – Tuesday, September 1st – The first day of team-trimming. Today was the deadline for all NFL teams to cut their roster down to 75 men, and that is just business as usual. The Hoodie has spoken! The first in line to be FA’s were LS Nathan Hodel, DB Tank Williams, QB Kevin O’Connell, and DB Tyson DeVree. Tyrone McKenzie and WR Brandon Tate were placed on injured reserve (IR).
* The end of the beginning of team-cuts called for an emotional Monday morning press conference and a celebration of a Patriot’s hero-the one and the only, Tedy Bruschi. I plan on posting a tribute to him on the site later this week.
* So as of right now the Patriots are under 75 men, but there is still a ton of work to be done because Saturday is the “big” day: the day when teams have to cut the roster down to 53. (dun dun dunnn)
* Tom Brady practiced yesterday and the team sounds like they have confidence that he’s fine. Reporters only saw him doing handoffs, but they were also only allowed to stay for 15-20 minutes. He’ll be okay. That’s it. End of story.
Around the League:
* Since no one wants a has-been CB, Pacman Jones decided he will play football in Canada, (holding in my laughter) as he signed a 1-year deal with the Winnipeg Blue-Bombers. After playing football in Tennessee and Texas, I’m sure he will adjust to unpleasant, frigid cold in no time (no he wont). Bottom line here: there are no good strip clubs in Winnipeg… it’s the only place his career might actually be safe.
* Brett the Viking and his apparently cracked rib helped the Vikings take one over the Texans last night. AD also took it to the house on a 75-yard touchdown run.
* Osi Umenyiora “accidentally” left Giants’ practice yesterday aka fought with Bill Sheridan… no one cares.
* Eric Mangini doesn’t know who to start at QB… he’s used to that.
* Matt Cassel’s MCL is all messed up… ironic/Belichick’s master plan.
* For the past five years, the Patriots(2-1) have played their final preseason game against the New York Giants(1-2). This is also the 19th preseason meeting between the two clubs. Typically, the starters play little-to-none in the preseason closer and teams begin preparing for their week one match-ups.
* Hopefully it will become clear on Thursday who our backup QB will be as Brian Hoyer and Andrew Walter will see a ton of playing time. (Will AJ Feeley be in a Patriots uniform?)
* I also want to see Maroney play, because this is his make-it or break-it year, in my opinion. I am just so sick of him being Mr. Stutter-Step-eight-times-and-just-barely-make-it-back-to-the-line-of-scrimmage. He needs some more game-time practice hitting holes and making plays. Law-Firm will be placing his bid to not be cut and remain on the roster, and I would love to see him get his wish. At this point though, I just cant make it play out that way in my head.
* The DB’s need all the practice they can get too, I’d like them to play the entire first half. We need to not be playing catch-up offense this year and our defense-line is A-OK. That being said, I’d say 75% of our problems will most likely be in the secondary this year. STEP IT UP, TERRENCE WHEATLEY!
* The Patriots are going to have to watch out for former teammate of Patriots Brandon Tate and UNC wideout, Hakeem Nicks, who lit up the Jets’ secondary with six catches and 144 yards. Two touchdown passes went for 22 and 71-surely a star in the making.
* Look to see better pass protection against a blitz-happy Giants football club, that can get to the quarterback on any given play.
And with that, I’m out. See you soon,
Tags: Pre-Game Meal